So Serious' 2012 Draft Compendium

1B4IDie

So we're about 50 hours away from the 2012 draft.

Through the hours and hours of research, discussion and grilling of Buddy Nix' words, I've come to the conclusion that anything can happen in the 2012 draft for the Bills. (Shocker!)

The 2011 draft went amazing for the Bills. Nix and Whaley are a vast improvement in the draft and FA department over everyone since Polian. I'm looking forward to building the team into a playoff contender with another great draft in 2012.

The 1.10 pick is going to be wide open.

Seriously anything can happen this year. I wouldn't put a trade down out of the realm of possibility either. Shoot with all the extra 4th, and 5th picks a trade up, could even happen.

In the 2012 draft there are 6 Consensus "Elite" prospects. If anyone of these guys fall to #10 the Bills would be hard pressed to pass up.

Andrew Luck - You can dream.

RGII - Still Dreaming

Trent Richardson - Yes we have 30 year old FJAX and Spiller but in the small outside chance he falls to #10 you still have to take him.

Matt Kalil - Personally I am little worried about how nasty he is; he seems a little too SoCal for my Buffalo roots. I like my O-Linemen to be blue collar, mean, and nasty. He should be a solid LT and is probably the only undisputed true Left Tackle in the 1st round.

Justin Blackmon - I think his ceiling is much more Michael Crabtree than Jerry Rice, but everyone thinks he is a sure thing. If he falls to 10, I hope he is too.

Morris Claiborne - Should be a great CB.

All of these 6 should be off the board when the Bills pick at #10 if somehow 1 falls it will be hard to justify a reach past one of these 6 for another prospect.

Now for the cast and crew that is a realistic possibility at #10:

Luke Kuechly BC ILB - Bills fans love this guy. I don't. He is a college tackling machine. Can he play with the Big Boys in the NFL? Yes. Can he be a complete stud of a LB worthy of the #10 overall pick? Maybe. Can you find someone in the 4th round that can play OLB 90% as good as the impact Kuechly would have? Yes.

Ryan Tannehill Texas A&M QB - The Bills likely won't draft the 3rd QB in this draft, but could make an interesting trade down partner - Think Gaine Blabbert with actual potential.

Riley Reiff Iowa RT - Iowa LTs get drafted high, come to the NFL and realize they can't play LT in the NFL then play RT or Guard. I have no reason to believe Reiff is special, better or different than Robert Gallery OG or Bryan Baluga RT. Pears actually played well at RT. This is one guy I would be worried about being a partial bust. Good news is he is almost certainly a solid RT or Guard in the NFL but @#10 overall you're looking for a LT.

Michael Floyd Notre Dame WR - If he can keep his drinking in control, He is a sure thing imo. This guy's ceiling is through the roof. He is basically a bigger stronger Justin Blackmon. He did better at the combine than AJ Green did last year. The 2 alcohol related incidents and the DUI is a big deal though. Plus he wasn't on the list of college prospects that visited One Bills Drive so Nix may have black balled him completely. Don't be surprised if he ends up Rookie of the Year or ends up in jail with a few more DUIs.

Quinton Coples North Carolina DE43 - Before the Mario Williams and Anderson signings the draft @#10 was simple for the Bills. Whomever you rank higher Between Coples, Ingram and Mercilus thats who you take. I doubt that happens now but it could be an outside possibility.

David DeCastro Stanford OG - this dude will be a beast RG for decades in the NFL, but do you really want to draft a RG @ #10 overall? RG is probably the easiest to find Offensive line position in the NFL.

Courtney Upshaw Alabama OLB34 - Before we switched to a 4-3, This draft looked like a 1 player draft for the Bills. Courtney Upshaw or Bust. Now he is not likely on the radar.

Stephon Gilmore South Carolina CB - Drayton Florence is getting old, McGee may already be done. McKelvin doesn't appear to be coachable and will probably be out of Buffalo soon. Aaron Williams looks like he can be a real deal CB. There will be a huge need at CB. Don't be surpassed if the Bills have him high on their board and they make a Jauronian pick at CB

Whitney Mercilus Illinois DE43 - See Coples

Melvin Ingram South Carolina OLB34 - See Coples but this would be my pick of the three.

Mark Barron Alabama SS - People are really starting to hype this guy. He does look great on highlight reels. THIS IS A GREAT TRADE DOWN possibility. San Diego could make a run for him and maybe the Bills will be sitting pretty at @#10. San Diego and Buffalo couldn't work out a trade down for Spiller two years ago, maybe they can connect on Barron.

Dre Kirkpatrick Alabama CB - See Gilmore. They may like Kirkpatrick over Gilmore. I personally don't.

The Bills are in a great position this year, outside of LT, there is no overwhelming hole on the team. Lots of holes but many of them are partially covered. This allows the Bills to take the best player that will have the most impact.

The great news is I don't see a complete bust in this year's possibilities at #10. Maybe Reiff can't play LT but he will still play RT and contribute. Maybe Floyd gets in to some off the field trouble, but he will likely shine when in uniform on Sundays.

T-Minus 50 hours or so and we will see what happens. I can't wait.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Food for thought, the Kalil family are big Bills fans!

I'd love Matt on this team, but I think the Bills surprise the draft by selecting Jonathan Martin

I can't tell how overwhelmingly disappointed I'd be in this lackluster, irresponsible selection.

Though you could be right...... think he'll be there in the 2nd round. Still wouldn't like him there.

Edited by billsoverdue

Good work. Your write-up of Blackmon in the elite category seems a bit like you think he'll suck though.

No worries, Im super excited especially not knowing who we'll be picking. Hopefully ESPN keeps their cameras off of our pick.

I can't tell how overwhelmingly disappointed I'd be in this lackluster, irresponsible selection.

Though you could be right...... think he'll be there in the 2nd round. Still wouldn't like him there.

I'm on the same page, its not a sexy pick--I'd select Kuelchy or Floyd...By not selecting with my feelings as a fan, but of what Whaley and Nix have said within the past few days...they might shock us all and it could be Martin at 10

I'm on the same page, its not a sexy pick--I'd select Kuelchy or Floyd...By not selecting with my feelings as a fan, but of what Whaley and Nix have said within the past few days...they might shock us all and it could be Martin at 10

Anything is possible but it just seems Martin's stock has really fallen. Of course, this means nothing as to how our warroom has him evaluated but this truly would be a shocker.

Agreed. Except I doubt that DeCastro will be great for "decades."

If Kalil falls then that is the pick, but I would LOVE Floyd to be a Buffalo Bill next season.

I disagree. DeCastro has the look of a 30 year man all over him. We'll remember this post when he retires in 2042.

GO BILLS!!!

So we're about 50 hours away from the 2012 draft.

Through the hours and hours of research, discussion and grilling of Buddy Nix' words, I've come to the conclusion that anything can happen in the 2012 draft for the Bills. (Shocker!)

The 2011 draft went amazing for the Bills. Nix and Whaley are a vast improvement in the draft and FA department over everyone since Polian. I'm looking forward to building the team into a playoff contender with another great draft in 2012.

The 1.10 pick is going to be wide open.

Seriously anything can happen this year. I wouldn't put a trade down out of the realm of possibility either. Shoot with all the extra 4th, and 5th picks a trade up, could even happen.

In the 2012 draft there are 6 Consensus "Elite" prospects. If anyone of these guys fall to #10 the Bills would be hard pressed to pass up.

Andrew Luck - You can dream.

RGII - Still Dreaming

Trent Richardson - Yes we have 30 year old FJAX and Spiller but in the small outside chance he falls to #10 you still have to take him.

Matt Kalil - Personally I am little worried about how nasty he is; he seems a little too SoCal for my Buffalo roots. I like my O-Linemen to be blue collar, mean, and nasty. He should be a solid LT and is probably the only undisputed true Left Tackle in the 1st round.

Justin Blackmon - I think his ceiling is much more Michael Crabtree than Jerry Rice, but everyone thinks he is a sure thing. If he falls to 10, I hope he is too.

Morris Claiborne - Should be a great CB.

All of these 6 should be off the board when the Bills pick at #10 if somehow 1 falls it will be hard to justify a reach past one of these 6 for another prospect.

Now for the cast and crew that is a realistic possibility at #10:

Luke Kuechly BC ILB - Bills fans love this guy. I don't. He is a college tackling machine. Can he play with the Big Boys in the NFL? Yes. Can he be a complete stud of a LB worthy of the #10 overall pick? Maybe. Can you find someone in the 4th round that can play OLB 90% as good as the impact Kuechly would have? Yes.

Ryan Tannehill Texas A&M QB - The Bills likely won't draft the 3rd QB in this draft, but could make an interesting trade down partner - Think Gaine Blabbert with actual potential.

Riley Reiff Iowa RT - Iowa LTs get drafted high, come to the NFL and realize they can't play LT in the NFL then play RT or Guard. I have no reason to believe Reiff is special, better or different than Robert Gallery OG or Bryan Baluga RT. Pears actually played well at RT. This is one guy I would be worried about being a partial bust. Good news is he is almost certainly a solid RT or Guard in the NFL but @#10 overall you're looking for a LT.

Michael Floyd Notre Dame WR - If he can keep his drinking in control, He is a sure thing imo. This guy's ceiling is through the roof. He is basically a bigger stronger Justin Blackmon. He did better at the combine than AJ Green did last year. The 2 alcohol related incidents and the DUI is a big deal though. Plus he wasn't on the list of college prospects that visited One Bills Drive so Nix may have black balled him completely. Don't be surprised if he ends up Rookie of the Year or ends up in jail with a few more DUIs.

Quinton Coples North Carolina DE43 - Before the Mario Williams and Anderson signings the draft @#10 was simple for the Bills. Whomever you rank higher Between Coples, Ingram and Mercilus thats who you take. I doubt that happens now but it could be an outside possibility.

David DeCastro Stanford OG - this dude will be a beast RG for decades in the NFL, but do you really want to draft a RG @ #10 overall? RG is probably the easiest to find Offensive line position in the NFL.

Courtney Upshaw Alabama OLB34 - Before we switched to a 4-3, This draft looked like a 1 player draft for the Bills. Courtney Upshaw or Bust. Now he is not likely on the radar.

Stephon Gilmore South Carolina CB - Drayton Florence is getting old, McGee may already be done. McKelvin doesn't appear to be coachable and will probably be out of Buffalo soon. Aaron Williams looks like he can be a real deal CB. There will be a huge need at CB. Don't be surpassed if the Bills have him high on their board and they make a Jauronian pick at CB

Whitney Mercilus Illinois DE43 - See Coples

Melvin Ingram South Carolina OLB34 - See Coples but this would be my pick of the three.

Mark Barron Alabama SS - People are really starting to hype this guy. He does look great on highlight reels. THIS IS A GREAT TRADE DOWN possibility. San Diego could make a run for him and maybe the Bills will be sitting pretty at @#10. San Diego and Buffalo couldn't work out a trade down for Spiller two years ago, maybe they can connect on Barron.

Dre Kirkpatrick Alabama CB - See Gilmore. They may like Kirkpatrick over Gilmore. I personally don't.

The Bills are in a great position this year, outside of LT, there is no overwhelming hole on the team. Lots of holes but many of them are partially covered. This allows the Bills to take the best player that will have the most impact.

The great news is I don't see a complete bust in this year's possibilities at #10. Maybe Reiff can't play LT but he will still play RT and contribute. Maybe Floyd gets in to some off the field trouble, but he will likely shine when in uniform on Sundays.

T-Minus 50 hours or so and we will see what happens. I can't wait.

Charley Casserly just said that the Bills are interested in Tannehill if Miami passes on him. He said he talked to someone close to the team (whatever that means). I find that hard to believe though. If the Bills really did believe in Tannehill as a franchise QB, wouldn't they just trade ahead of the Dolphins to get him? Jacksonville wants to trade out of that spot and a 4th rounder would probably do it.

I don't want Tannehill so I hope this is just BS he was given. I remember last year when Casserly said something like he talked to ten GMs and that 9 out of the 10 GMs liked Gabbert over Newton. I laughed so hard when I heard that. The funny thing was that Casserly believed them.

I think it's going to be Kirkpatrick. It's where I started and I've come full circle on it. I think the top 6 falling would change that like you said, but I'm thinking dr dre is our man!

please no! . . . the ghost of Dick Jauron haunts us again

1335313244[/url]' post='2444918']

please no! . . . the ghost of Dick Jauron haunts us again

Our pass rush was god awful last year...but so were our CBs. More than any other season, last year our CBs were clueless to where the ball was. They were in position many times, only to forget that the ball was in the air, and their job is to deflect it. Why were they so oblivious to the ball? Coaching? Lack of fundamentals? Stupidity? Who knows? All I know, is we need another good Cb to pair with Williams for the future. If they like Gilmore or Kirkpatrick, they should be the pick if they're available.

Food for thought, the Kalil family are big Bills fans!

I'd love Matt on this team, but I think the Bills surprise the draft by selecting Jonathan Martin

If you aren't old enough (like I am) to remember John Fina, then you'll get to see his twin if the Bills' select Martin. Very smart, under-powered and not a bad athlete but not great either.

Fina played "OK" for many years, but he was never what you'd hope for if you are picking 10th in the first round.

Very good post. I like your analysis on each player. I really hope the Bills draft Michael Floyd. He's the "covered when he's not" WR that we need. I think he is a no brainer pick at #10. And honestly, the only player who will make a significant impact at #10 is Michael Floyd. I can't believe people like Luke K. so much. Seriously? He looks small on tape and gets most of his tackles after the RB has gained four yds. Chris White and Arthur Moats would start over Luke. No left tackle that we draft (unless Khalil is there) will start unless Hairston gets injured. Buddy keeps saying that the Bills are "deep at WR." Uhh, no we're not? Was I the only one paying attention last year? We were bringing in homeless guys off the street to play WR. Marcus Easly has proven NOTHING. Donald Jones hasn't proven nearly enough to be reiled upon. Nelson is a solid slot guy. We lost Roscoe. Derek Haggan is less than inspiring. Stevie Johnson makes me nervous too. He drops a lot of passes and has been a little injury prone. Who else do we have? Ruvell Martin? He blows. Roosevelt is good, but is more of a cinderalla story kind of guy that is given the benefit of the doubt because he was 120 pounds. Let's give Fitz some help. What he has been able to do with the garabage receiving corps he has is UNBELIEVABLE. Am I the only one that thinks our receiver corps blows popsicles? I feel like i'm taking crazy pills!!

Michael Floyd, DO IT.

I'm getting hints about Cowboys or Chargers trade with Bills. We'll see.

Me too.

If you aren't old enough (like I am) to remember John Fina, then you'll get to see his twin if the Bills' select Martin. Very smart, under-powered and not a bad athlete but not great either.

Fina played "OK" for many years, but he was never what you'd hope for if you are picking 10th in the first round.

Awww. You just ruined Jon Martin for me. When the Bills picked Fina, it is the ONLY time I punched a door because of a draft pick. I wanted Pickens.

Very good post. I like your analysis on each player. I really hope the Bills draft Michael Floyd. He's the "covered when he's not" WR that we need. ...

May want to re-think that one.

GO BILLS!!!