S Mark Barron discussion

Haplo848

3m for a rookie safety and Byrd is going to command double that, 9m per year to two safeties. Then you have to resign Urbik and Levitre, Levitre will cost around 7m, and you still have Fred Jackson. Don't need 9m tied up in safeties. Did the Giants win the Superbowl because of their safeties?

Don't need a safety, if this happens it'll just further the belief that the FO is generally clueless. Love how some of you are trying to convince yourselves that this is a good move, have to love cognitive dissonance.

That statement is all I need to see to know you havent been paying attention lately. And by lately, I mean since 2010.

Urbik will not be expensive to re-sign. Most likely on par with Pears. And there is no way we are paying Levitre, a Guard, the same amount as Stevie Johnson. Even if he is a very good guard.

I love how you spend most of your post pointing out that there is too much talent on this team for the money to go around, yet call this FO "generally clueless" in the next breath. :rolleyes:

Again, Im not pushing for drafting Barron. But it wouldnt be a bad thing either. Keep in mind there is more to the draft than the 1st round. Especially when you are the Bills.

Is exactly what this organization has shown for more than a decade. Passing up quality DL for defensive backs and running backs.

The entire FO has been re-done as of 2011. None of that past history means jack. Sorry. There is a clear new direction that I suggest you start BILL-ieving in. Unless you have a complaint with how theyve addressed the D-Line?...

Edited by DrDareustein

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if the player has a brain in his head. You can have the best coaching in the world, but if the kid can't tell the difference between a square and circle...

Claiborne scares me for that very reason and I hope he doesn't slide down to us...

I don't think he will. I also trust Nix to not draft him.

Barron wouldn't be a bad selection at all. Has nothing to do with Whitner's pick years ago by a different regime or his less than elite production. Barron is a quality player from a big time school who played well against big time competition and has that history of production. He fits the NIx profile.

Secondly, WIlson is over 30. The team has to start preparing for him to slow down. I would rather have the best safety, who can be a potentially impactful playmaker on defense, than the second or third best OT prospect, etc. Taking Barron at 10 does not preclude an OT being selected in the second or third. It also does not preclude the CB's they need being drafted in later rounds as well. Or LB's. Keep in mind Nix has given a vote of confidence to Hairston. Keep in mind Nix has said that the draft is deep at CB and WR and OT positions.

Nix says what he means and does what he says. He is so right when he says people don't listen to what he says. One would think that by now folks would know he's a straight shooter. Byrd will be back. I don't even think that's a concern. Wilson plays well, but a bigger, younger guy with upside is a good player to have. Searcy is a guy with good potential too and he didn't look bad when he stepped in for George last season. But again, REMEMBER Nix AND Whaley said the Bills want to stack players on top of players. They want to create competition at every position. So he wouldn't be concerned with adding Barron.

Barron wouldn't be a bad selection at all. Has nothing to do with Whitner's pick years ago by a different regime or his less than elite production. Barron is a quality player from a big time school who played well against big time competition and has that history of production. He fits the NIx profile.

No offense...But sounds a lot like Whitner coming out to me...Unless you don't think OSU is a big time school that plays against big time competition...

He's (Barron) a Safety...A SS at that...Drafting Whitner at #8 overall, and ignoring other MUCH better Players at areas of bigger need is EXACTLY what the Bills will be doing if they Draft Barron this year...It's not the same regime, not the same GM...But it will be the same mistake...He's a freaking SS...Quinton Mikell made 2 Pro Bowls at SS...I'll give you a few guesses where he was Drafted...Adrian Wilson was a 3rd Round Pick...You can get good, serviceable SS's later in the Draft...Taking one at #10 is a MAJOR gamble, especially when you have HUGE needs at LT, WR, OLB, and CB...

I hope to God Buddy is smarter than this...I'm not saying The Bills should not Draft a Safety in 2012...But not at #10...No way, no how... B-)

drafting is a crap shoot only if you are making your picks by throwing darts at your list of players

it is much less of a crap shoot if you have good talent evaluators and a plan in place on what kind of players succeed in the NFL

bad teams draft bad players -

good teams not so much

Teams would be wise to avoid the "consensus" on where players are ranked and just pick a player (no matter if considered a "reach") that fits their parameters of what makes a "good" player

The Patriots are a good team and they don't have a very strong track record of success in the draft. Except for that one guy from Michigan a long time ago. The draft is a lot of luck, which is why I laugh when GM's sit there and say with far too much certainty that a left tackle is a better player than a wide receiver when the two can't be compared. Its like comparing a lawn mower to a car and saying one is better than the other when they serve completely different purposes.

I understand the need to rank BPA, but to sit there and actually believe your board is going to be the way things pan out is either arrogance or just being naive. I agree with your point about picking a player that fits your team, regardless of consensus, but sometimes that burns you (orakpo, Ngata, etc)

"Safety is one of the most critical positions to fill in this league, and should always be upgraded whenever possible, no matter the cost, see Donte Whitner for Lawyer Milloy in 2006."

- Marv Levy, Tom Modrak, & Dick Jauron

"Safety is one of the most critical positions to fill in this league, and should always be upgraded whenever possible, no matter the cost, see Donte Whitner for Lawyer Milloy in 2006."

- Marv Levy, Tom Modrak, & Dick Jauron

Exactly! :thumbsup:

No offense...But sounds a lot like Whitner coming out to me...Unless you don't think OSU is a big time school that plays against big time competition...

He's (Barron) a Safety...A SS at that...Drafting Whitner at #8 overall, and ignoring other MUCH better Players at areas of bigger need is EXACTLY what the Bills will be doing if they Draft Barron this year...It's not the same regime, not the same GM...But it will be the same mistake...He's a freaking SS...Quinton Mikell made 2 Pro Bowls at SS...I'll give you a few guesses where he was Drafted...Adrian Wilson was a 3rd Round Pick...You can get good, serviceable SS's later in the Draft...Taking one at #10 is a MAJOR gamble, especially when you have HUGE needs at LT, WR, OLB, and CB...

I hope to God Buddy is smarter than this...I'm not saying The Bills should not Draft a Safety in 2012...But not at #10...No way, no how... B-)

You can say the same thing for high motor 4-3 LBs, only they don't make Pro Bowls. :lol:

No offense taken. Whitner is a different athlete than Barron. OSU is a big time school that plays big time comp. Bama is a bigger time school that plays bigger time comp. How many NFL'ers has Baron competed against over the years on a weekly basis? And keep in mind Wilson is all over the field on Sundays. The designation SS and FS in the Bills defense hasn't been a big one. Both Byrd and Wilson have played deep coverage responsibilities. And because Whitner didn't turn out to be elite doesn't mean Barron wouldn't. Two different players. Two different time periods. Two different coaching staffs. They could take Floyd, they could take an OT or a Gilmore, Kirkpatrick, etc. and that player could be less than stellar. We don't know until we know.

Again, when you look at the situation as a whole, Barron wouldn't be a bad pick. If he were the pick I wouldn't be upset. if they didn't and took a CB or a LB or an OT that would be fine with me too. The Bills are getting better. They have more options with that pick and that's a good thing.

Edited by purple haze

No offense taken. Whitner is a different athlete than Barron. OSU is a big time school that plays big time comp. Bama is a bigger time school that plays bigger time comp. How many NFL'ers has Baron competed against over the years on a weekly basis? And keep in mind Wilson is all over the field on Sundays. The designation SS and FS in the Bills defense hasn't been a big one. Both Byrd and Wilson have played deep coverage responsibilities. And because Whitner didn't turn out to be elite doesn't mean Barron wouldn't. Two different players. Two different time periods. Two different coaching staffs. They could take Floyd, they could take an OT or a Gilmore, Kirkpatrick, etc. and that player could be less than stellar. We don't know until we know.

Again, when you look at the situation as a whole, Barron wouldn't be a bad pick. If he were the pick I wouldn't be upset. if they didn't and took a CB or a LB or an OT that would be fine with me too. The Bills are getting better. They have more options with that pick and that's a good thing.

I'll just agree to disagree here...

I do agree Barron likely is a better Prospect than Whitner...But I don't think that means much...And sure Alabama is a better School now than OSU, but how about 6 years ago?

No matter though...I'll never be in favor of taking a Strong Safety this high..And I don't think Barron is the type that can move around much in the NFL...I don't think he's a high cover Safety who can cap the top of a Defense...I admit he should be a good in-the-box SS, and may very well be one of the better one's in the NFL in a few years...But you can get those guys later on...The Bills don't need a Safety right now, and they still need to get better in other areas...I mean they REALLY need to get better in other areas...I could see if Barron was CLEARLY the best player available at #10 how some could argue for the Pick, but I don't think there is any way that is going to be the case...And to top it all off you're talking about a Kid who's had some injury issues...

And then there's this...Not saying it's a deal-breaker...But still...Barron trouble

I would not be happy with this pick...I think it would be a terrible decision...But of course I would hope for the best...Like I did with Whitner... ;)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I'll just agree to disagree here...

I do agree Barron likely is a better Prospect than Whitner...But I don't think that means much...And sure Alabama is a better School now than OSU, but how about 6 years ago?

No matter though...I'll never be in favor of taking a Strong Safety this high..And I don't think Barron is the type that can move around much in the NFL...I don't think he's a high cover Safety who can cap the top of a Defense...I admit he should be a good in-the-box SS, and may very well be one of the better one's in the NFL in a few years...But you can get those guys later on...The Bills don't need a Safety right now, and they still need to get better in other areas...I mean they REALLY need to get better in other areas...I could see if Barron was CLEARLY the best player available at #10 how some could argue for the Pick, but I don't think there is any way that is going to be the case...And to top it all off you're talking about a Kid who's had some injury issues...

And then there's this...Not saying it's a deal-breaker...But still...Barron trouble

I would not be happy with this pick...I think it would be a terrible decision...But of course I would hope for the best...Like I did with Whitner... ;)

An "in-the-box" SS is exactly what the Bills need. 28th in rush defense last year. They addressed their 19th ranked pass defense by adding Williams, now address the rush defense. Adding Barron at 10 would certainly upgrade the rush defense. The absolute most pressing need on this team right now is RUN DEFENSE. Aside from Kuechly, Barron is the only player at 10 who would instantly upgrade the run defense. IMO, this is why their looking at him.

I think drafting him is a more likely than drafting an ot at this point. I am thinking their top to choices are gilmore and Floyd based on the way they have talked this week. Baron, if drafted, might be trade bait move down. But it wouldn't be terrible if we keep him. I would rather have someone else than a saftey, unless they think he is a hall of famer

An "in-the-box" SS is exactly what the Bills need. 28th in rush defense last year. They addressed their 19th ranked pass defense by adding Williams, now address the rush defense. Adding Barron at 10 would certainly upgrade the rush defense. The absolute most pressing need on this team right now is RUN DEFENSE. Aside from Kuechly, Barron is the only player at 10 who would instantly upgrade the run defense. IMO, this is why their looking at him.

So...Your theory is that George Wilson and Da'Norris Searcy were responsible for that 28th ranked run defense??? ;) I'm kidding ya...

Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, and Dave Wannstedt are going to have a bigger effect on that run defense than any Rookie SS could IMHO...But we'll see...

I'm not saying that Barron would not help the run defense because I'm sure he would...How much more than Wilson and Searcy definitely remains to be seen...I just don't think he's an elite prospect worthy of #10 overall...maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think this Kid is the next coming of Polomalu or Lott...And I don't think it's a good idea to take a Safety at #10 unless the player is WAY more versatile than Barron...At Alabama Barron was surrounded by excellent talent, and almost no matter how good the competition was, the Tide was better...And Saban is a master at putting Defenders in place to hide their weaknesses and showcase their strengths...But this is the step up, the NFL...And Barron is a SS in the NFL...Again I'll conceded the fact that he'll likely be a good SS...But I don't see how that alone is worthy of #10 overall...Especially with The Bills MANY other needs...

What I think many of you that keep saying picking Barron would be a good move are simply ignoring is the fact that nobody, at least nobody I can find, feels this Kid is a Top 10 prospect...Not one...CBS.com, Pro Football Weekly, Great Blue North, Draft Nasty, FFToolbox, Walter Football, DraftTek, Scouts Inc (well...they do have him at 11 now...But McShay is probably the Scout I respect least of all), The Sporting News, Draft Countdown, Footballs Future...OK I quit looking...I think you get the point...

Add to all this you've got a player coming off double hernia surgery...A SS at #10? No thanks...But if The Bills do pick him I'll have to hope for the best... B-)

has him at 15[/url]

simply ignoring is the fact that nobody, at least nobody I can find, feels this Kid is a Top 10 prospect...Not one...CBS.com, Pro Football Weekly, Great Blue North, Draft Nasty, FFToolbox, Walter Football, DraftTek, Scouts Inc (well...they do have him at 11 now...But McShay is probably the Scout I respect least of all), The Sporting News, Draft Countdown, Footballs Future...OK I quit looking...I think you get the point...

Charlie Casserly does and Nawrocki has him at 15, the second highest DB on his board.

He's not my first pick, but I won't bat an eye if Barron's the way Buddy goes. I want smart, hard-nosed football players that can make a difference on this team and he fits the bill.

Edited by Lurker