S Mark Barron discussion

Haplo848

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually don't mind this pick @ 10. Here's why: (not saying I want this guy, but I wont cry over it either)

19th against the pass

28th against the rush

30th points allowed

Buffalo needs help on Defense. Williams certainly helps, but it's going to take more than just him.

Casserly tends to know what he's talking about. Over 20+ years in the NFL gives him some cred. He has Barron rated #7 on his board.

Whitner was better than Wilson (he kept Wilson on the bench), Casserly clearly thinks Barron is better than Whitner. Wilson had a good season, sure, but he started out of necessity.

Buffalo needs to get better against the run and pass. Barron does both very well.

Nix wants playmakers, difference makers and impact guys. Barron had 12 int's, 22 deflections, 235 tackles while being the Defense QB

Wilson is 31 (about time to slow down) and Byrd had 1 pic last year. If Byrd can get back to form, Byrd and Barron for the next 7-10 years in the outfield sound real nice to me!

As a poster stated earlier, if you can relegate a started to a back-up role...... and improve your defense in the process....... DO IT!

I never studied-up on this kid until this thread came out, but spent the better half of the last two hours reading and watching video on him. I like him.... A LOT! I try not too, but I just have a good feeling about him. If Buffalo can get Barron in the 1st and Stephen Hill in the 2nd (doubtful) that would be juicy sweet!

I actually don't mind this pick @ 10. Here's why: (not saying I want this guy, but I wont cry over it either)

19th against the pass

28th against the rush

30th points allowed

Buffalo needs help on Defense. Williams certainly helps, but it's going to take more than just him.

Casserly tends to know what he's talking about. Over 20+ years in the NFL gives him some cred. He has Barron rated #7 on his board.

Whitner was better than Wilson (he kept Wilson on the bench), Casserly clearly thinks Barron is better than Whitner. Wilson had a good season, sure, but he started out of necessity.

Buffalo needs to get better against the run and pass. Barron does both very well.

Nix wants playmakers, difference makers and impact guys. Barron had 12 int's, 22 deflections, 235 tackles while being the Defense QB

Wilson is 31 (about time to slow down) and Byrd had 1 pic last year. If Byrd can get back to form, Byrd and Barron for the next 7-10 years in the outfield sound real nice to me!

As a poster stated earlier, if you can relegate a started to a back-up role...... and improve your defense in the process....... DO IT!

I never studied-up on this kid until this thread came out, but spent the better half of the last two hours reading and watching video on him. I like him.... A LOT! I try not too, but I just have a good feeling about him. If Buffalo can get Barron in the 1st and Stephen Hill in the 2nd (doubtful) that would be juicy sweet!

I wouldn't be upset with the pick, either. You make the point that WIlson is 31 and I'll add that there is only one other safety on the roster of any pedigree and that is Searcy -last year's 4th round pick.

Barron is good against both the pass and run and could help in coverage against those damn NE TEs that the Bills see twice a year. He is smart, hard working and a leader, too.

Now, given all things being equal, I'd rather have a LT, but if the Bills have him rated much higher than Glenn, Reiff, Matin etc then I'd rather them take Barron than Floyd (not that Floyd would be a horrible pick). I think both Barron and Kuechly would be very good options, but would be the "famous BPA" route rather than grabbing a lower rated player for need.

I wouldn't be upset with the pick, either. You make the point that WIlson is 31 and I'll add that there is only one other safety on the roster of any pedigree and that is Searcy -last year's 4th round pick.

Barron is good against both the pass and run and could help in coverage against those damn NE TEs that the Bills see twice a year. He is smart, hard working and a leader, too.

Now, given all things being equal, I'd rather have a LT, but if the Bills have him rated much higher than Glenn, Reiff, Matin etc then I'd rather them take Barron than Floyd (not that Floyd would be a horrible pick). I think both Barron and Kuechly would be very good options, but would be the "famous BPA" route rather than grabbing a lower rated player for need.

Do you mean Byrd is the one with the pedigree?

With Wilson 31 and byrds contract expiring how confident are you both are starters after this season? not advocating the pick but pointing out with FA how quickly strengths can become a weakness if not proactive.

Yes, that's a good philosophy...look at next year's roster (Wilson would be 32 in 2013) and draft his replacement today. The same logic applies at CB (Florence and McGee are both 31, too).

The fact that three starters/major contributors in the secondary are 31 shines a pretty bright light on Barron or Gilmore at #10, even with the big hole at LOT and LB depth. Of the two, I'd lean toward Barron as a bigger contributor (almost a mini-LB against the run, strong enough to cover TEs) with a better NFL pedigree and experience.

I'd he happy with the pick as long as we got Massie in the second (or signed a stopgap like Mcneil )...

Do you mean Byrd is the one with the pedigree?

Yes, well I meant the only other safety besides Byrd and Wilson, but you are right. I think Byrd will be re-signed for next year and he is fine. I am not down on Wilson, either, but he is getting older and Searcy is the only decent backup and not sure how he'd do as a starter.

Byrd's a FA after '12, if they're targeting a safety with a first round pick Byrd may not be back here because you can't tie up all that money in the S position. You look around the league, and you teams normally have one good safety who makes the primo bucks and then a complementary S that doesn't make as much. Perfect example is Polamalu and Clark.

Edited by bouds

Byrd's a FA after '12, if they're targeting a safety with a first round pick Byrd may not be back here because you can't tie up all that money in the S position. You look around the league, and you teams normally have one good safety who makes the primo bucks and then a complementary S that doesn't make as much. Perfect example is Polamalu and Clark.

Rookie contracts aint what they used to be with the new CBA. Last year's #10 pick (Blaine Gabbert) ended up with a 4yr/$12mil contract.

Safeties dont command a huge salary in FA either. We could re-sign Bryd, and even if Wilson is done after his current contract, we wouldnt have to worry about the backup FS spot until 2014.

This could be done without having to break the bank.

Rookie contracts aint what they used to be with the new CBA. Last year's #10 pick (Blaine Gabbert) ended up with a 4yr/$12mil contract.

Safeties dont command a huge salary in FA either. We could re-sign Bryd, and even if Wilson is done after his current contract, we wouldnt have to worry about the backup FS spot until 2014.

This could be done without having to break the bank.

3m for a rookie safety and Byrd is going to command double that, 9m per year to two safeties. Then you have to resign Urbik and Levitre, Levitre will cost around 7m, and you still have Fred Jackson. Don't need 9m tied up in safeties. Did the Giants win the Superbowl because of their safeties?

Don't need a safety, if this happens it'll just further the belief that the FO is generally clueless. Love how some of you are trying to convince yourselves that this is a good move, have to love cognitive dissonance.

Edited by bouds

3m for a rookie safety and Byrd is going to command double that, 9m per year to two safeties. Then you have to resign Urbik and Levitre, Levitre will cost around 7m, and you still have Fred Jackson. Don't need 9m tied up in safeties. Did the Giants win the Superbowl because of their safeties?

Don't need a safety, if this happens it'll just further the belief that the FO is generally clueless. Love how some of you are trying to convince yourselves that this is a good move, have to love cognitive dissonance.

Ah- we can only copy the giants? Daren sharper did wonders for the saints superbowl run. Polamolu has been great for the steelers runs. Bob sanders, Ed reed....

There are plenty of ways to win

Or myopia...

I'd want their #27, their RD2#48, and a RD1 next year. NEP gets Barron; we get Zach Brown, Alshon Jeffery, and Coby Fleener (or Kelechi Osemele).

Intriguing idea, trading with the Pats. However, I don't see them trading next year's Round 1. I can see both Round 1 picks this year, and throw in Mallet for kicks.

That could give us:

RD 1). Jonathan Martin, OL (He's all over the place in draft boards. I see him there at 27).

RD 1). Coby Fleener, TE (I'd rather go WR here but strongly believe the Giants would take him one pick later. I like the one-two punch of Stanford guys. Also, Fleener will be a headache for Barron -- Who NE is most likely to pick at #10.)

RD 2). Alshon Jeffery, WR (Like his toughness; I think drops can be corrected with this guy.)

RD 3). Trumain Johnson, CB (Picking him solely for his size and power (per Buddy's CB preferences) at this spot.)

RD 4). Russell Wilson, QB (I don't think he falls much beyond here. And I like him. A lot.)

RD 4). Tank Carder, OLB (Has been in for a visit, and good value here at LB.)

Main positions addressed; now:

1). Get rid of Thigpen. Move Brad Smith to WR and see what he does this year. (Cut his ass if he fails). Have Mallett and Wilson fight it out for 2/3. Surely Chan can develop one of them. If he can help both -- trade bait for another year). I don't see both busting.

2). I'm apparently one of the few who isn't worried much about our defense THIS YEAR aside from CB, with our FA additions. Last I saw, there were a few options left at LB in FA, and Buddy said he's probably not done in FA. Also, there are bound to be surprise cuts when teams have to get to the 53-man roster. Not worried here.

BA

Edited by Bud Adams

Ah- we can only copy the giants? Daren sharper did wonders for the saints superbowl run. Polamolu has been great for the steelers runs. Bob sanders, Ed reed....

There are plenty of ways to win

We have a fine safety in Byrd, no reason to go after one so high when we have so many other holes. Barron may be B.Meriweather, or Laron Landry, why is he immediately Polamalu/Sanders/Reed? Prudent use of resources it is not, if we didn't have Byrd then I would be against it wholesale. For this FO to be targeting him so high means they aren't planning on bringing back Byrd, only way this move makes sense.

Or myopia...

Is exactly what this organization has shown for more than a decade. Passing up quality DL for defensive backs and running backs.

Edited by bouds

We have a fine safety in Byrd, no reason to go after one so high when we have so many other holes. Barron may be B.Meriweather, or Laron Landry, why is he immediately Polamalu/Sanders/Reed? Prudent use of resources it is not, if we didn't have Byrd then I would be against it wholesale. For this FO to be targeting him so high means they aren't planning on bringing back Byrd, only way this move makes sense.

Barron's a SS...

Barron's a SS...

I know what position he plays, I've probably watched him over a dozen and half games, watch a lot of Bama. They play a lot of man free and sometimes he's the rat, sometimes he's single high, safeties interchangeable in Saban's system.

I know what position he plays, I've probably watched him over a dozen and half games, watch a lot of Bama. They play a lot of man free and sometimes he's the rat, sometimes he's single high, safeties interchangeable in Saban's system.

He can play both, but he'd play SS here with Bryd at free. His solid run support would help a ton, as well his ability to be physical against TEs, which has been a killer liability here for a long time.

If Buddy has him rated higher than Gilmore, I have no problem with the pick.

Is exactly what this organization has shown for more than a decade. Passing up quality DL for defensive backs and running backs.

Who cares what the previous GMs did? Are they making the pick next Thursday?

Buddy's ability to evaluate talent is head and shoulders above Donahoe and Marv/Jauron. If you stay away from a pick because Whitner Lynch, Losman, et al sucked, what sense does that make? If Barron's the guy, it's because THIS administration has done it's homework and thinks he's a difference maker...