Time Warner & NFL Network

judman

We took the family to visit my wife's brother in Virginia last week. He has Xfinity cable (formerly Comcast) and therefore NFL Network.

I got just enough of it to realize it is not exactly as great as I hoped it would be. But don't think for a second that I don't want it at my house. I've seen enough in discussions here to know that I am missing out on some good stuff. I'm just plain sick of ESPN (especially Teddy Deuschki), and don't even get me started on the network programs...

If that "leaked schedule" from last week is true, and the Bills have another Thursday night NFLN game, I'll be pissed. I, with others, will have to hit the road and go to some sports bar, invite myself over to someone's house who has the NFLN, or sit in front of the computer chasing stream feeds like a criminal.

I know I could switch, but the bottom line dictates I stay with Time Warner. I tried to switch to DirectTV last year, but TWC low-balled me and I had to stay ($35 cheaper/month).

Is there any hope for these two organizations (TWC and the NFL) to work out this F-ing deal? Does anybody know any specifics of just what the hang ups are?

Edited by judman

they were close last year... when it got down to time to sign things there was a big blowup and people stormed out of the room

NFL Network is on Charter now (which is the worst cable company I've ever seen) so I thought TW was a slam dunk, but apparently there is some holdup

they were close last year... when it got down to time to sign things there was a big blowup and people stormed out of the room

NFL Network is on Charter now (which is the worst cable company I've ever seen) so I thought TW was a slam dunk, but apparently there is some holdup

I betcha you fun police are playing some role in this snafu… why should we trust your version of things?

We took the family to visit my wife's brother in Virginia last week. He has Xfinity cable (formerly Comcast) and therefore NFL Network.

I got just enough of it to realize it is not exactly as great as I hoped it would be. But don't think for a second that I don't want it at my house. I've seen enough in discussions here to know that I am missing out on some good stuff. I'm just plain sick of ESPN (especially Teddy Deuschki), and don't even get me started on the network programs...

If that "leaked schedule" from last week is true, and the Bills have another Thursday night NFLN game, I'll be pissed. I, with others, will have to hit the road and go to some sports bar, invite myself over to someone's house who has the NFLN, or sit in front of the computer chasing stream feeds like a criminal.

I know I could switch, but the bottom line dictates I stay with Time Warner. I tried to switch to DirectTV last year, but TWC low-balled me and I had to stay ($35 cheaper/month).

Is there any hope for these two organizations (TWC and the NFL) to work out this F-ing deal? Does anybody know any specifics of just what the hang ups are?

Like you, I have Time Warner Cable...my father gets the NFLN at his house, and honestly, I think I can live without it, most of the year...it's really no better than ESPN, but, in many ways, even worse "personalities". Only advantage it has, in my eyes, it is 24/7...but it is just the same 4-6 hours of programming, over and over, in a loop.

But once the NFLN starts having weekly Thursday night games, I suspect the two parties will come to an agreement. 16 NFL games would hurt Time Warner too much...NFL is king, on regular and cable tv. It is a shrewd move by the NFL to win the stalemate, IMO.

It's definitely unfortunate that all of us TWC customers can't watch the NFL network. I used to have dish network when the NFL network first came out, it was definitely a lot better then than it is now. I still miss it just because of the coverage though

My cable company down here is bright house, and same thing, we don't have nfl network. I can still watch it on my phone with the nfl app, and I don't feel like I am missing much. But I would like to have it to watch the draft instead of watching espn. And it would be nice to have it to flip to if I am just bored and wanting to relax

You can get nfl network on time Warner but it is an additional charge. I believe it's part of their sports package and cost about 5.95 a month. Im not sure what other channels you get in the package but I am sure that it is available if you want to pay for it.

You can get nfl network on time Warner but it is an additional charge. I believe it's part of their sports package and cost about 5.95 a month. Im not sure what other channels you get in the package but I am sure that it is available if you want to pay for it.

No you can't.

You can't, it's not offered on any tier. If I recall one of the hangups was that TWC wanted it to be part of the sports tier.

Edited by Carey Bender

Time Warner is a crap company. I worked for them in San Diego. They screwed Buffalo in 2009 when they wouldn't carry CBS so no Bills games that year locally. This year they won't carry MSG so no Sabres plus they won't carry NFL network. Why support them? Switch carriers! In San Diego they refuse to carry Fox sports so no Padres baseball and no NFL network here either. I hate Time Warner! There are other options.

Directv has more 3D programming and NFL Network. I left TW b/c of horrible cust service and have never looked back.

The Network is great. Their "Top 10's" are always interesting. During the season, I rarely watch espn.

I was a former employee for TWC. They, like any other TV provider, have tried in the past to get the NFL network. I will tell you that TWC isnt willing to pay the money to carry this network. A couple years ago they sent emails to the employees, and showed commercials saying that the NFL is stubborn,etc. Many bars in my area have Direct TV and Time Warner because they need the NFL Network. Time Warner already charges 3 times the amount a month for a commercial account compared to a residential account. Imagine the money they would make from all the bars alone? While recording $20 billion profits a year, they add more fees to their services it seems every 6 months and have lost channels due to contract disputes. You have a choice but its hard to leave TWC because they WILL low ball anyone, but, only if you call. Ive seen customers paying $200/month religiously for their all-in-one packages for years. While, someone who gets their service cut off due to non-pay, and get it turned on again in another name get the same services for $100/month. I complained about $55/month internet service when I called, they dropped it down to $29.99/month for one year. TWC is the Wal-Mart of the cable providers. If you're looking for the NFL package, Dish or Direct TV are your only options.

No you can't.

You can't, it's not offered on any tier. If I recall one of the hangups was that TWC wanted it to be part of the sports tier.

You guys are right. I was thinking about what they tried to do but the NFL balked at it. Here is the link I found...

http://www.timewarnercable.com/northeast/site.faqs/DigitalCab/Programmin/Sports/NFL/Does-Time-Warner-Cable-carry-a

i've refused to switch carriers, sticking with Time Warner, even during the MSG dispute. the grass, i see, is no greener on the other side, and there will always be some kind of dispute with some type of provider that will lead to a station being taken off the air.

let's say you left Dish because of their dispute with MSG and went to Time Warner. well, the trouble eventually caught up to you there. and i pay no heed to a multi-billion corporation urging me to switch because in these disputes i find both parties to be at fault, and usually it's the network that's making a cash grab.

in fact, since LIN's dispute with Time Warner that knocked WIVB off cable a few years back, i've made it a point not to return to watch their newscast. that, to me, was the best form of protest i could provide.

and then there are the other consequences of making a switch, which i discovered last month.

headed to a bar to watch the Bona women's first-round game last month. the bar, like many in town, had made the switch to Direct-TV in order to get the Sabres games. well, lo and behold, no more than 5 minutes into the Bona game, ESPN had switched over to Baylor, because apparently, there was no regional broadcast agreement in place with ESPN and Direct TV or someone at Direct TV forgot to make the switch. i'm told there were many people here unhappy with that.

i didn't wait around to see what might happen and instead called home, and had my wife check to see what women's game ESPN was broadcasting on TWC. well, it turned out to be the Bona game. so up my friend and i got, and headed home to watch the game there.

the bar wasn't happy to lose business, but them's the breaks.

if i don't have NFL Network, well, to me, that's partially the NFL Network's fault. and i have no real desire to watch Redskins-Jaguars, Chiefs-Cardinals, Browns-Panthers game on a thursday night, which is usually what's on.

and if it turns out to be a Bills away game or a game of merit, as was the Patriots finale a few years back, it somehow winds up being broadcast on regular TV.

jw

i've refused to switch carriers, sticking with Time Warner, even during the MSG dispute. the grass, i see, is no greener on the other side, and there will always be some kind of dispute with some type of provider that will lead to a station being taken off the air.

let's say you left Dish because of their dispute with MSG and went to Time Warner. well, the trouble eventually caught up to you there. and i pay no heed to a multi-billion corporation urging me to switch because in these disputes i find both parties to be at fault, and usually it's the network that's making a cash grab.

in fact, since LIN's dispute with Time Warner that knocked WIVB off cable a few years back, i've made it a point not to return to watch their newscast. that, to me, was the best form of protest i could provide.

and then there are the other consequences of making a switch, which i discovered last month.

headed to a bar to watch the Bona women's first-round game last month. the bar, like many in town, had made the switch to Direct-TV in order to get the Sabres games. well, lo and behold, no more than 5 minutes into the Bona game, ESPN had switched over to Baylor, because apparently, there was no regional broadcast agreement in place with ESPN and Direct TV or someone at Direct TV forgot to make the switch. i'm told there were many people here unhappy with that.

i didn't wait around to see what might happen and instead called home, and had my wife check to see what women's game ESPN was broadcasting on TWC. well, it turned out to be the Bona game. so up my friend and i got, and headed home to watch the game there.

the bar wasn't happy to lose business, but them's the breaks.

if i don't have NFL Network, well, to me, that's partially the NFL Network's fault. and i have no real desire to watch Redskins-Jaguars, Chiefs-Cardinals, Browns-Panthers game on a thursday night, which is usually what's on.

and if it turns out to be a Bills away game or a game of merit, as was the Patriots finale a few years back, it somehow winds up being broadcast on regular TV.

jw

Even if DirecTV didn't have NFL network, it's still far superior to TWC. Their guide is way better than TWC. You can filter out any channels you don't want to see. That means no more scrolling through annoying infomercial channels to see the real channels. The HD and standard def channels are weaved together...no more starting at channel 700 on your guide. And they still give occasional free movie preview weeekends for the pay channels. Their whole-house DVR functionality is also better and cheaper than TWC. We recently tried to switch back to TWC after having DirecTV for a couple years and hated it. Went back to DirecTV after 2 weeks. If we ever get rid of DirecTV again, it'll be to cut the cord entirely.

Don't watch TV, DirecTV. Switch to satellite and fuhgetaboutit. That will send a message to TWC.

Edited by jumbalaya