Time Warner & NFL Network

judman

Even if DirecTV didn't have NFL network, it's still far superior to TWC. Their guide is way better than TWC. You can filter out any channels you don't want to see. That means no more scrolling through annoying infomercial channels to see the real channels. The HD and standard def channels are weaved together...no more starting at channel 700 on your guide. And they still give occasional free movie preview weeekends for the pay channels. Their whole-house DVR functionality is also better and cheaper than TWC. We recently tried to switch back to TWC after having DirecTV for a couple years and hated it. Went back to DirecTV after 2 weeks. If we ever get rid of DirecTV again, it'll be to cut the cord entirely.

to each their own. i like getting CBC on TWC, as well as their on-demand stuff. and, unlike some tv providers, TWC doesn't charge to have in-home repairs. ...

jw

I'm moving in about a month (buying a house) and I can't switch to DirecTv quick enough!!! Freakin HATE Time Warner!! They are blood sucking leeches that are a monopoly in our area (CNY)! I've had enough of their B.S. games and I don't care if they offer to give me my cable/internet/phone for free for two years!! It will be lovely to give my hard earned money to someone else!! Not to mention, true 1080p quality picture...

Even if DirecTV didn't have NFL network, it's still far superior to TWC. Their guide is way better than TWC. You can filter out any channels you don't want to see. That means no more scrolling through annoying infomercial channels to see the real channels. The HD and standard def channels are weaved together...no more starting at channel 700 on your guide. And they still give occasional free movie preview weeekends for the pay channels. Their whole-house DVR functionality is also better and cheaper than TWC. We recently tried to switch back to TWC after having DirecTV for a couple years and hated it. Went back to DirecTV after 2 weeks. If we ever get rid of DirecTV again, it'll be to cut the cord entirely.

100% agree with everything you said. Also, the DirecTV remote is so much better. The new interface is great and doesn't have the frequency of delays as TW. That said, I have a very good deal with TWC for all 3 that DirecTV can't match. (Damn you, house phone!)

Im an Xfinity/Comcast customer in Atlanta, and I can tell you that NFLN is NOT included with the basic digital cable package. You have to order it extra as part of the sports package.

Lucky for me, cable service is included with my HOA and I only pay for extras, so I do pay the $10/month for the sports package. Even at that low cost, I have a hard time seeing the value in NFLN. The programming sucks, imo. But I keep it for the draft and games they restrict to NFLN during the year. It also comes in handy every once in a while during the long lulls of the offseason.

But overall, you guys 1. Arent missing much, and 2. Arent really entitled to it. There are very few places in the country where it is included in the basic packages. The biggest rub is that you dont even have the option of paying extra for it.

Sidenote: TWTC's Roadrunner Internet service is the WORST network in the country. Slow as mud, horrible latency, just the worst.

Edited by DrDareustein

Im an Xfinity/Comcast customer in Atlanta, and I can tell you that NFLN is NOT included with the basic digital cable package. You have to order it extra as part of the sports package.

Lucky for me, cable service is included with my HOA and I only pay for extras, so I do pay the $10/month for the sports package. Even at that low cost, I have a hard time seeing the value in NFLN. The programming sucks, imo. But I keep it for the draft and games they restrict to NFLN during the year. It also comes in handy every once in a while during the long lulls of the offseason.

But overall, you guys 1. Arent missing much, and 2. Arent really entitled to it. There are very few places in the country where it is included in the basic packages. The biggest rub is that you dont even have the option of paying extra for it.

Sidenote: TWTC's Roadrunner Internet service is the WORST network in the country. Slow as mud, horrible latency, just the worst.

My bro in law is in Charlottesville, VA with Xfinity. I am 100% certain he would not pay extra for a sports package. It must be a regional thing?

My bro in law is in Charlottesville, VA with Xfinity. I am 100% certain he would not pay extra for a sports package. It must be a regional thing?

Could be. That's why I qualified it as "very few places". Just dont get the wrong idea that everyone else gets it, and it's an awesome station. Hope it makes you feel better about it. :thumbsup:

Like I said, Id be more pissed about paying good money for such horrible internet.

I live in NC but also have Time Warner down here. Just this past week I switched from TWC to DTV. I'm saving a lot of money the first year, 2nd year will save a little, 3rd year, who knows as contract will have run out so should be paying full price ? From what I've heard DTV is more willing than TWC is at giving you better deals as opposed to you leaving. In addition to saving alot of $$ the first year I also now have a whole house DVR with 5 tuners. For me to have a compatible package with TWC would have cost me close to another $40 per month so really saving much more and even after year two costs may be the same but do have the whole house DVR upgrade included for that price.

So far from what I've seen picture quality is better with DTV than TWC (at least until a storm rolls thru) Interface is nicer, though seems slow for guide to open every time. As someone else pointed out, like it that all the HD channels sit on top of the equivelant SD stations, so don't need to remember two numbers. Liked some of the on-demand offerings better though TWC such as CBS on-demand. Actually am rather surprised that CBS isn't available on-demand like it is on cable. Am I just not seeing it?? Equipment also much better as with TWC you'd always be getting used equipment. They use these old Scientific Atlanta boxes, hard drives would often have bad sectors that wouldn't record, sound would drop out when using HDMI cable. Just the fact that with DTV you're getting new equipment is a huge step up.

TWC offers free HD, nice except they conveniently forget to mention that you have to first have the digital cable box and a set top box. So after you've paid for that, they will swap out your SD box for an HD box. When I was still living in western NY and only had SD TV's I use to have basic cable, channels 1 thru 75, no set top box. If TWC truly offered free HD they'd allow me to still receive channels 1 thru 75 in HD without the set top box and digital cable. But they don't! But they did figure out how to claim they have free HD while requiring people to pay much more for the" free" service.

As far as number of HD channels, comparing the list between TWC and DTV it may surprise people to hear but I actually found TWC has more. I did a similar comparison before I moved from Rochester and found the same thing was true there too at the time. But you always hear DTV claiming they have the most HD stations. I think how they are able to claim that is things like MLB TV, NBA TV, NHL, etc all of the games are broadcast in HD where as two years ago TWC had like two games a night in HD, last year was up to a half dozen or so. This year not sure what TWC is, but not likely 100% Compare to DTV where both home and away are broadcast in HD so that's like 30 channels per night per package that DTV claims towards their HD number total.

Not claiming that I'd watch any of these but ones that don't seem to be broadcast in HD thru DTV were: E!, OWN, G$, TruTV, Oxygen, BBC America,, WE, TV one, Investigation Discovery, MavTV, TCM, Hallmark Movie Channel, Hub Admittedly the only one of these I've ever watched is TruTV for the first couple of rounds of the NCAA.

One channel not in HD thought through TWC was the NFL network which I am glad to now have, but can understand TWC's position on that one. I likely will get Sunday Ticket too in the fall