Evans to Jags

Kevin

I'm always amazed how much people will want to get rid of players and how much they will lament some players leaving.

Evans in 2008 cracked 1,000 yards (barely and something he only did twice in his career) and 3 TDs. He also had two fumbles. He followed that up with 612 yards, but 7TDs. Then yards and TDs decreased...and went down further. He's on the decline, he was on the decline. At his height, he was 'good'.

Outside of the 'myth' of Lee Evans, he was a decent player who did one thing very well and seems like a nice guy. For comparison, Peerless Price had similar numbers to Lee Evans over his career. In fact, his best year was better than Lee's best year. Dozens upon dozens of players have had careers better than Lee. Pierre Garcon's numbers the pas three years and better than Lee Evan's numbers. Santana Moss' numbers blow Lee's away. His last three years were vastly above Lee's. We're making fun or the redskins for signing these guys.

The list goes on and on. The point here is that Lee was, in terms of an NFL Wide Receiver, above average, but not a star.

This is not to bash Lee, but the demi-god hood that gets associated with him here is a bit much. I really dislike you guys making me point this out about a nice guy.

I can't disagree, but I still think he was the best number 2 receiver we had at the time we got rid of him. He was the best of what seems to be a pedestrian lot.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you count less catches for less yards and less TDs better, not to mention that now we are looking for a speed receiver to play opposite him.

LOL, because those 6 less catches, 69 less yards, and 3 less TDs had more to do with Evans being gone than Stevie's lingering groin injury, and Fitz's performance... :rolleyes: :lol

Cmon, it's not like SJ's numbers fell after Evans was gone. SJ did in fact look better on the field, even with no "decoy".

And we would STILL be looking for a speed WR right now regardless, since Evans is all but finished.

Edited by DrDareustein

LOL, because those 6 less catches, 69 less yards, and 3 less TDs had more to do with Evans being gone than Stevie's lingering groin injury, and Fitz's performance... :rolleyes: :lol

Cmon, it's not like SJ's numbers fell after Evans was gone. SJ did in fact look better on the field, even with no "decoy".

And we would STILL be looking for a speed WR right now regardless, since Evans is all but finished.

I only responded to a post which stated he was "better" after Evans left. ;)

While doing a background check on Lee Evans, Mike Mularkey came across a google search and found out how Lee Evans had significantly altered the entire dynamic of the Pittsburg/Ravens rivalry. I just had to have him Mularkey said... "I knew he was an excellent decoy, but a division changer...wow!"

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I'm always amazed how much people will want to get rid of players and how much they will lament some players leaving.

Evans in 2008 cracked 1,000 yards (barely and something he only did twice in his career) and 3 TDs. He also had two fumbles. He followed that up with 612 yards, but 7TDs. Then yards and TDs decreased...and went down further. He's on the decline, he was on the decline. At his height, he was 'good'.

Outside of the 'myth' of Lee Evans, he was a decent player who did one thing very well and seems like a nice guy. For comparison, Peerless Price had similar numbers to Lee Evans over his career. In fact, his best year was better than Lee's best year. Dozens upon dozens of players have had careers better than Lee. Pierre Garcon's numbers the pas three years and better than Lee Evan's numbers. Santana Moss' numbers blow Lee's away. His last three years were vastly above Lee's. We're making fun or the redskins for signing these guys.

The list goes on and on. The point here is that Lee was, in terms of an NFL Wide Receiver, above average, but not a star.

This is not to bash Lee, but the demi-god hood that gets associated with him here is a bit much. I really dislike you guys making me point this out about a nice guy.

One word- Trentedwards

I think its amazing how people thought TO was good when he played here, and that SJ is so awesome. Both had good years only when fitz came in. Trent ruined 3 years of football by constantly dumping the ball off. How was lee supposed to catch those? Its obvious now even to the myopic haters that trent was a total disaster as a QB, but when Fitz took over, lee got hurt after id say5 games. No one knew SJ was even half way decent at that point and Fitz found him single covered by the second or 3rd CB so ya, he caught some balls. Lee never had a fair shake here and then got hurt again in Baltimore. HE WAS ABOUT AN INCH AWAY FROM A SUPER BOWL BIRTH and had he completed that catch, what would you all have said then? Catch or no catch, he was an inch away from putting that toe down and going to the show. I think its fair to say if someone is still getting open and making plays in the playoffs, hes still good. ( you all think easley is good, he only played well in preseason, lee had 4-5 playoff catches) I think this year will tell us alot about the real Lee evans and who is right...lets just wait and see. You cant prove much when you dont play.

Admit it, you were all starting to say spiller was a bust until he got some more playing time. No one saw SJ as a starter 3 years ago much less a prized free agent wed be praying would re-sign. It takes opportunity to show greatness and Lee had his stolen by crappy QBing.

Edited by loserlovers

One word- Trentedwards

I think its amazing how people thought TO was good when he played here, and that SJ is so awesome. Both had good years only when fitz came in. Trent ruined 3 years of football by constantly dumping the ball off. How was lee supposed to catch those? Its obvious now even to the myopic haters that trent was a total disaster as a QB, but when Fitz took over, lee got hurt after id say5 games. No one knew SJ was even half way decent at that point and Fitz found him single covered by the second or 3rd CB so ya, he caught some balls. Lee never had a fair shake here and then got hurt again in Baltimore. HE WAS ABOUT AN INCH AWAY FROM A SUPER BOWL BIRTH and had he completed that catch, what would you all have said then? Catch or no catch, he was an inch away from putting that toe down and going to the show. I think its fair to say if someone is still getting open and making plays in the playoffs, hes still good. ( you all think easley is good, he only played well in preseason, lee had 4-5 playoff catches) I think this year will tell us alot about the real Lee evans and who is right...lets just wait and see. You cant prove much when you dont play.

Admit it, you were all starting to say spiller was a bust until he got some more playing time. No one saw SJ as a starter 3 years ago much less a prized free agent wed be praying would re-sign. It takes opportunity to show greatness and Lee had his stolen by crappy QBing.

What exactly is a super bowl birth? =) Evans didn't need to put a toe down on that catch as he had both feet down already. He just failed to protect the ball and maintain possession. Seems like basic things for a wide receiver. But maybe he will get revitalized in Mularkey's offense.

Lee Evans is a class guy....I wish him luck

agree 100%. For some reason, he became the whipping boy around here, but I always liked him. He handled himself with class through everything that happened here (the JP/Trent fiasco, the TO circus, etc). I hope he has great success with Jax (unless we are facing them).

agree 100%. For some reason, he became the whipping boy around here, but I always liked him. He handled himself with class through everything that happened here (the JP/Trent fiasco, the TO circus, etc). I hope he has great success with Jax (unless we are facing them).

As do i.

While doing a background check on Lee Evans, Mike Mularkey came across a google search and found out how Lee Evans had significantly altered the entire dynamic of the Pittsburg/Ravens rivalry. I just had to have him Mularkey said... "I knew he was an excellent decoy, but a division changer...wow!"

You mean he did a Google search and discovered that for just the second time ever the Ravens swept the Stillers while winning the division; and in the game where Evans was healthy they scored the most points they've ever scored against a Stiller D?

Gee licker, I guess maybe he did have some effect on the dynamic of that rivalry.

That's all fine and I agree - doesn't mean he's an effective starter anymore.

I can't disagree, but I still think he was the best number 2 receiver we had at the time we got rid of him. He was the best of what seems to be a pedestrian lot.

EVANS WAS NO LONGER THE BILLS #2 WR.

That's why they moved him - he had fallen to #4 on the coaches' depth chart and they liked a 4th round pick more than their #4 or 5 WR.

Roscoe, Nelson, Jones had all passed Evans in the Bills' mind by camp last year.

Wait...whjat?

I do believe that you may have unintentionally invented a cool new word...

The guy made what, $20m- 30m ?? Set for life in his twenties. What a shame. Geez.

Yeah, but now he has to pay for play... but no kidding really, some people get to talkin bout football and really lose all perspective on life. Totally.

Why are all these people saying Evans is done? He was injured last year, but nowhere does it say he has lost any speed.

This question was asked and addressed pretty early on in this thread.

I would base my feeling that he's declining on his pretty meteoric decline in production over the last 5 years as well as the fact that two organizations have given up on the guy.

I know there's a continued disconnect on his age and the idea that he could be washed up but "your mileage may vary…" in fact your mileage does vary.

For comparison, Peerless Price (a similar style/size of receiver) had a similar career decline and was done by the age of 31.

Maybe Evans has more left in the tank but I personally don't believe so… unless he's so disgusted by his own recent performance and that vindication is a very strong fuel for him.

A better question would be why one would think he's not in decline when in fact all evidence points to his best years being behind him.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan