Luke Kuechly discussion

I'd be very happy with Kuechly... Behind our upgraded DL this guy wold be making plays all over field. Our LB depth is weak, and we could use an upgrade along the starters too.

His combine was awesome, and his college production was equally awesome

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the new age, pass-happy NFL, strong safeties that can hit and cover are the new tackling machines/Zach Thomas's. Kuechly is a good player and wouldn't be upset if we got him, but I'd rather have a guy like Barron. Barron would be an upgrade over Bryan Scott, who was on the field a lot. Wilson isn't getting any younger either.

In the new age, pass-happy NFL, strong safeties that can hit and cover are the new tackling machines/Zach Thomas's. Kuechly is a good player and wouldn't be upset if we got him, but I'd rather have a guy like Barron. Barron would be an upgrade over Bryan Scott, who was on the field a lot. Wilson isn't getting any younger either.

That's a REAL interesting theory considering this fact...Of the Top 20 NFL Tacklers in 2011 only 2 were Safeties (one in the Top 10 - Antoine Bethea was 9th) and the rest were LB's...In fact, of the Top 30 NFL Tackle machines only 5 were Safeties, one of them was George Wilson (tied for 25th), and the rest again...LB's...So... B-)

I'd love the pick. This guy can get to the ball, and also cover. We need a LB with great coverage skills going against the Pat's TE's twice a year. And, he'll be the BPA when we draft. Win, win, win. We can get a CB, OT, and WR in later rounds.

That's a REAL interesting theory considering this fact...Of the Top 20 NFL Tacklers in 2011 only 2 were Safeties (one in the Top 10 - Antoine Bethea was 9th) and the rest were LB's...In fact, of the Top 30 NFL Tackle machines only 5 were Safeties, one of them was George Wilson (tied for 25th), and the rest again...LB's...So... B-)

That's also the reason we're seeing these prolific passing numbers. NFL defenses haven't caught up with the offenses spreading them all over the field. Still have LB's trying to run with Tight Ends and WR's. Barron is a Safety/LB hybrid that is a playmaker against the pass and also stout against the run. Keuchly is good in coverage but I'd rather have a guy like Barron who is a difference maker against the pass.

Physical evaluation and comparison

Urlacher:

6037, 258 lbs

40 time: 4.59 s

Bench: 27 reps

Vertical: 34"

Broad J: 10'02"

Shuttle: 4.18 s

3 cone: 6.94 s

Willis:

6011, 242 lbs

40 time: 4.51 s

Bench: 22 reps

Vertical: 39"

Broad J: 9'11"

Shuttle: 4.46 s

3 cone: 7.32 s

Kuechly:

6024, 242 lbs

40 time: 4.58 s

Vertical: 38"

Broad J: 10'03"

Shuttle: 4.12 s

3 cone: 6.92 s

VS Urlacher: Kuechly is a little shorter, but makes up for it with his vertical ability. He's a little quicker by all accounts and puts up the same amount of weight on the bench. He's likely a little less powerful (due to sheer size) but both players check out as very instinctive leaders.

VS Willis: Kuechly gives up a little big in straight line speed but outperforms Willis in every other measurable except for vertical (1" shorter). Its surprising how poorly Willis did in his "change of direction" drills. Kuechly may move more fluidly than Willis in this regard.

Overall: Kuechly seems to line up somewhere in between these 2 players on the strength / speed spectrum. He has quickness over Urlacher and strength over Willis and appears to be a near hybrid of the 2. Kuechly's measurables are very impressive when you look at them in this light. If you add this to the fact that he has the intelligence, leadership and college production, Kuechly sure looks like a future pro bowler. I think he's a sure thing and I hope the bills dont pass on him.

Urlacher:

6037, 258 lbs

Willis:

6011, 242 lbs

Kuechly:

6024, 242 lbs

VS Urlacher: Kuechly is a little shorter, but makes up for it with his vertical ability. He's a little quicker by all accounts and puts up the same amount of weight on the bench. He's likely a little less powerful (due to sheer size) but both players check out as very instinctive leaders.

VS Willis: Kuechly gives up a little big in straight line speed but outperforms Willis in every other measurable except for vertical (1" shorter). Its surprising how poorly Willis did in his "change of direction" drills. Kuechly may move more fluidly than Willis in this regard.

Overall: Kuechly seems to line up somewhere in between these 2 players on the strength / speed spectrum. He has quickness over Urlacher and strength over Willis and appears to be a near hybrid of the 2. Kuechly's measurables are very impressive when you look at them in this light. If you add this to the fact that he has the intelligence, leadership and college production, Kuechly sure looks like a future pro bowler. I think he's a sure thing and I hope the bills dont pass on him.

Cool. Let's take him at #10 and trade him to the 49ers for Willis and a draft pick. :thumbsup:

Urlacher:

6037, 258 lbs

Willis:

6011, 242 lbs

Kuechly:

6024, 242 lbs

He will be the pick at #10 I just feel it

Urlacher:

6037, 258 lbs

Willis:

6011, 242 lbs

Kuechly:

6024, 242 lbs

Willis ran a 4.37 at his Pro Day, FWIW.

I think Nix will continue to make the Defense better and this kid will do it.

One of our major issues in the past few years (and is becoming a major issue for many NFL teams) is defending a big, fast TE who can catch the ball. We happen to be trying to overtake a team in our division with two of them (and they are two of the best btw). Drafting a kid who is being talked about as the best cover LB in a long time seems to fill one of our big needs in improving the team. I realize that we need WR and OL as well but if this kid really is as good as people are saying in that facet of the game it seems like a no brainer.

I've wanted Floyd for awhile now but after doing some film study ( :flirt: ) Kuechly is the guy we need to pick if he is there. His coverage skills are elite and should he should convert to the NFL very quickly.

Receivers taken in the 1st round have a high flame out rate. Jerry Rice, T.O.,Cris Carter, and even our own Stevie Johnson were all taken after the 1st round.

Edited by It's in My Blood

I was very very high on Kuechly until i watched his Clemson Game missed some protections didnt look fast, but he can fight off blocks very well. He is explosive but not quick sideline to sideline he is quick back and forth. He knows how to keep his eyes on the QB and cover. I think he should be our pick still though.