Luke Kuechly discussion

Its Brian Urlacher.

If you take Kuechly at #10, you're taking him to be the QB of your Defense.

I don't understand why you take the #10 overall pick then put him in a position where he is jogging with TEs all day.

Luke Kulchey is 6'3" 242

Rob Gronkowski is 6'6" 265.

Rob is still open with Luke standing right next to him.

You think Brady isn't going to throw to Hernandez or Gronk because a little rookie LB is running in their vicinity?

Brian Urlacher is 6'4" and 260… although he was such a rangy athlete (and still is) that he was a safety in college.

The people comparing Kuechly to Urlacher are wrong, IMO. I don't see that much similarity in their games.

Urlacher is a better natural athlete AND a bigger man.

As for Sheppard, the Bills staff coached him at the Senior Bowl. They had him all of last year and they're STILL high on the guy.

Maybe they know something the rest of the world doesn't?

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A factor for this talk is Sheppard. We watched him play closer than the pundits maybe. I thought he struggled alot but has promise of a much higher ceiling long term. I still consider him a run stop guy. I imagine his skillset will improve greatly, kind of how Byrd became one hell of a tackler after being such a ball hawk, Shepp is smart enough to get much better at coverage.

I am still of the opinion that we should draft Barnetts apprentice and Kirk's too. But i dont feel that we have a decent backup to any of our three starters and Kuechly fits the bill. Is that worth a ten? He is a three down back by all reports so that means he can come in for all/any LB positions on any down nearly. Is that worth a ten? it sure gets him closer to a good value.

all the write ups about Shepp from outside sources are high on him and we think Buddy is too. Who would Luke compete with for starting position because at Ten he MUST start mustn't he? i want to watch Morrrison play a season personally and i have a crush on Nick so?

Kuechly would start over Morrison at OLB...That much I'm pretty certain about...If you Draft Kuechly you start him at OLB with the hope that he will be the LB that stay on the field for all 3 Downs...He'll have to beat out Barnett for Dime situations...And that may take a bit...But I'm sure that would be the hope if you take him at #10... B-)

Brian Urlacher is 6'4" and 260… although he was such a rangy athlete (and still is) that he was a safety in college.

The people comparing Kuechly to Urlacher are wrong, IMO. I don't see that much similarity in their games.

As for Sheppard, the Bills staff coached him at the Senior Bowl. They had him all of last year and they're STILL high on the guy.

I agree...Urlacher is not a good comparison with Kuechly...They are different players...

I still think the best comparison is Sean Lee... B-)

I hope you're not serious.

In my opinion, Kuechly would not be a reach if the Bills picked him at #10. The question is....where would he play on our defense? Barnett and Sheppard, by all accounts, seem to be firmly entrenched at the Will and Mike LB positions. They just re-signed Morrison, and it has been stated that he is the front runner to start at the Sam LB position. I would be disappointed if we drafted a player at #10, and he was not starting week 1. That's why I think WR or LT makes more sense in the 1st round.

barnett--good LB-but older and injury prone. Sheppard...sheesh--I'll be kind and say unproven.There is plenty of room for Kuechly.

What are your thoughts on Sheppard SJB? I admit to not being tuned in that much to his play last year--But when I did notice him

I wasn't that impressed. Am I missing something?

barnett--good LB-but older and injury prone. Sheppard...sheesh--I'll be kind and say unproven.There is plenty of room for Kuechly.

What are your thoughts on Sheppard SJB? I admit to not being tuned in that much to his play last year--But when I did notice him

I wasn't that impressed. Am I missing something?

No, I saw the same thing you and everyone else saw, which was not much.

But it seems the brass really likes the kid or at least they seem strongly committed to giving him every opportunity. They had him at the Senior Bowl and it seems like they see something in Shep.

On a tangent, the new regime really hasn't cut one of their own highly-drafted players yet. They cut ties with Wang pretty quickly but he was a 5th rounder. There may come a day where they finally cannibalize one of their own. It's still early for that I guess. But Carrington and Troup have to show something this year. It's really make or break for those guys.

Urlacher also had 6 TD catches as a WR and returned kicks.

He played the "Lobo" in a 3-3-5 defense, he wasn't really a safety per say he just owned the entire field.

Yes Koochie is no Urlacher but you're drafting him at ten in the hope he becomes the next great MLB otherwise you don't draft him at #10 overall.

I didn't mean that you compare Urlacher's college career to Kuelchy.

I don't know if there will ever be another player that did everything for a program like Urlacher did in New Mexico. Just a freak.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Sheppard has a hard time shaking off OL who reach the second level and isn't a pass rusher. He is a a sure tackler, drives though his tackles, is a vocal defensive leader, calls defensive plays and is a good run stuffer...

Kelvin Sheppard's scouting report from 2011 (compiled from a few different sites including nfl.com):

cons:

Not very physical, doesn't take on blockers well

Not strong at the point of attack, gets stonewalled against lineman

Offers next to nothing as a blitzer

Not overly explosive, looks a bit stiff at times

Needs to play with better pad level

Can be dominated by bigger blockers.

Has a tough time getting of blocks in tight quarters.

Susceptible to being sucked in by play-action.

Doesn't take the most direct route to the football on occasion.

Can be beat by athletic pass-catchers up the seam.

Doesn't have refined pass-rushing technique.

Pros

Good blend of size and speed, has good bulk, and accelerates well

Supreme awareness, instincts, and football IQ. Great leader on and off the field

Sure tackler, does a good job wrapping up an driving through ball carrier

Takes great angles to the football, always around the ball

Tremendous production, over 110 tackles past 2 years against top SEC Competition

NFL Ready, could start from day 1

Gets good depth in drop

Sheppard possesses great height and enough speed.

Pretty instinctive player who reacts quickly.

Changes directions well, breaks down in space and is a very sound open-field tackler.

Can deliver the kill-shot on occasion and looks to strip the football.

Is comfortable playing in zone coverage and can match up in man against most RB's and TE's.

Kelvin Sheppard does not have the elite athleticism to be a star, and is not a flashy player, but he is rock solid, and his production speaks for itself. Playing just about every down for LSU over the past 2 years, Sheppard was a tackling machine with 110 tackles in each season. He is an extremely smart player who is always in the right position, he has excellent instincts, and takes great angles to the ball so that he is always around the football. He is a sure tackler who rarely misses, and is also an excellent leader on the field who does a a great job directing and firing up his teammates. He doesn't have great athleticism, but makes up for it with his high football IQ, and rarely ever making mistakes. He needs to play with better pad level, which will help him in taking on blockers. But other than that, he is pretty much maxed out in ability. Sheppard is an NFL ready player who could start from day 1, and make an immediate impact. He is a very safe pick who will be a productive player in this league for a long time. He should go some time in the early-to-mid second round.

Buddy Nix has committed to adding talent to the Bills' defense through the draft. Sheppard is a tough, physical linebacker with instincts and awareness. He will push for playing time immediately at one of the inside linebacker spots and could be one of the hidden gems of the draft.

Sheppard has a hard time shaking off OL who reach the second level and isn't a pass rusher. He is a a sure tackler, drives though his tackles, is a vocal defensive leader, calls defensive plays and is a good run stuffer...

Kelvin Sheppard's scouting report from 2011 (compiled from a few different sites including nfl.com):

cons:

Pros

Supreme awareness, instincts, and football IQ. Great leader on and off the field

Tremendous production, over 110 tackles past 2 years against top SEC Competition

Gets good depth in drop

Changes directions well, breaks down in space and is a very sound open-field tackler.

Is comfortable playing in zone coverage and can match up in man against most RB's and TE's.

Kelvin Sheppard does not have the elite athleticism to be a star, and is not a flashy player, but he is rock solid, and his production speaks for itself. Playing just about every down for LSU over the past 2 years, Sheppard was a tackling machine with 110 tackles in each season. He is an extremely smart player who is always in the right position, he has excellent instincts, and takes great angles to the ball so that he is always around the football. He is a sure tackler who rarely misses, and is also an excellent leader on the field who does a a great job directing and firing up his teammates. He doesn't have great athleticism, but makes up for it with his high football IQ, and rarely ever making mistakes. He needs to play with better pad level, which will help him in taking on blockers. But other than that, he is pretty much maxed out in ability. Sheppard is an NFL ready player who could start from day 1, and make an immediate impact. He is a very safe pick who will be a productive player in this league for a long time. He should go some time in the early-to-mid second round.

Buddy Nix has committed to adding talent to the Bills' defense through the draft. Sheppard is a tough, physical linebacker with instincts and awareness. He will push for playing time immediately at one of the inside linebacker spots and could be one of the hidden gems of the draft.

Weak upperbody ,no shoulders . This leads to being engulfed by blockers. Slow footed,can`t coach speed.Not very Physical. Not what looking for in a middle linebacker. I watched every game last year. The negs are DEAD ON. The Negs out weigh the Pos. Sorry I want a better team. I know he was a rook,so were alot of other players. He just seemed to not want to fill holes when he was playing. We need a MLB who likes to move forward and hit . This should already be there from day one as a MLB at any level.He seemed to be the Blaine Gabbert of LBs to me. Hope he proves me wrong.

Luke Kulchey is 6'3" 242

Rob Gronkowski is 6'6" 265.

Rob is still open with Luke standing right next to him.

You think Brady isn't going to throw to Hernandez or Gronk because a little rookie LB is running in their vicinity?

Who would you have covering him; a shorter, smaller Safety or CB?

No, I saw the same thing you and everyone else saw, which was not much.

But it seems the brass really likes the kid or at least they seem strongly committed to giving him every opportunity. They had him at the Senior Bowl and it seems like they see something in Shep.

On a tangent, the new regime really hasn't cut one of their own highly-drafted players yet. They cut ties with Wang pretty quickly but he was a 5th rounder. There may come a day where they finally cannibalize one of their own. It's still early for that I guess. But Carrington and Troup have to show something this year. It's really make or break for those guys.

Batten and Moats too.

cons:

Pros

Gets good depth in drop

Now that shepp isn't taking on lineman as much maybe he will do better.

Weak upperbody ,no shoulders . This leads to being engulfed by blockers. Slow footed,can`t coach speed.Not very Physical. Not what looking for in a middle linebacker. I watched every game last year. The negs are DEAD ON. The Negs out weigh the Pos. Sorry I want a better team. I know he was a rook,so were alot of other players. He just seemed to not want to fill holes when he was playing. We need a MLB who likes to move forward and hit . This should already be there from day one as a MLB at any level.He seemed to be the Blaine Gabbert of LBs to me. Hope he proves me wrong.

Chris White is a banger and if he comes back well from the knee injury he could push Shepp for time.

Who would you have covering him; a shorter, smaller Safety or CB?

I would almost always want a safety covering a tight end than a linebacker… especially if they are tall safeties like Wilson and Scott.

Sometimes when Gronk and Fernandez split out, they're covered by cornerbacks.

I think a worst-case scenario is one where they are being covered by any linebacker.

I would almost always want a safety covering a tight end than a linebacker… especially if they are tall safeties like Wilson and Scott.

I think a worst-case scenario is one where they are being covered by any linebacker.

The pass rush will help alot here.

Chris White is a banger and if he comes back well from the knee injury he could push Shepp for time.

I am certainly prepared to let those Shep and White show their stuff.

But I would like to draft a few linebackers this year… just not at #10.

BTW, I actually think this is a good linebacker draft and see some nice prospects in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds.

Top to bottom it feels like a better linebacker draft to me than last year.

I think the lack of a pass rush and DL talent last year really hurt us in many ways. Shep is a run stuffing MLB who can drop into coverage, has good enough speed, and sure tackler. The DL should be able to prevent the OL from getting to the second level and allowing our LBs to play as they should. Also in Wanny's 43 the LBs don't (or very rarely) rush the passer. The D system we will run will remove most of the cons and allow his positives to to be utilized and shine.

Gailey believed that if we didn't flop down the strecth Barnett would have made the probowl, his numbers were up there. Morrison is the LB that could be most easily upgraded. However, what I have read thus far from Nix they are looking for depth. We did bring Kuechly in; I however, still believe that if he was on the board along with a CB, Gilmore or Kirkpatrick (assume Floyd and Blackmon are gone) we would go CB...

He looks like a very good player, but CB is a position that has a higher value to our team with our defensive system. LBs can easily be found in other rounds that will more than fill our needs...

I am certainly prepared to let those Shep and White show their stuff.

But I would like to draft a few linebackers this year… just not at #10.

BTW, I actually think this is a good linebacker draft and see some nice prospects in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds.

Top to bottom it feels like a better linebacker draft to me than last year.

I think that Kuechly is one of the few LBs who can cover a TEs and since they wont be Blitzin much they got to cover someone. I think Wilson and Scott are just to small to hang with Gronk and Hernandez and unfortunately that showed all to well last year.

This is a good LB draft but with all the nickel and dime defenses going today the first people to come off are the LBs. So I think Nix will draft someone Kuechly, Wagner or David and see what happens with the guys we have. Next year is a good LB draft too with:

Jarvis Jones* OLB

Experience: Junior (RS) | School: Georgia

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 241 lbs.

2011 Season Stats:

70 Tackles, 19.5 TFL, 13.5 Sacks, 2 PBU, 42 QBH, 2 Fumbles Forced

Brandon Jenkins OLB

Experience: Senior | School: Florida State

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 255 lbs.

2011 Season Stats:

41 Tackles, 12.0 TFL, 8.0 Sacks, 1 PBU, 3 QBH

2010 Season Stats:

63 Tackles, 21.5 TFL, 13.5 Sacks, 2 PBU, 4 QBH, 2 Fumbles Forced

Manti Te'o ILB

Experience: Senior | School: Notre Dame

Height: 6-2 | Weight: 255 lbs.

2011 Season Stats:

128 Tackles, 13.5 TFL, 5.0 Sacks, 2 PBU, 4 QBH, Fumble Forced

2010 Season Stats:

133 Tackles, 9.5 TFL, 1.0 Sack, 3 PBU, 3 QBH, 1 Fumble Forced

Tom Wort* ILB

Experience: Junior (RS) | School: Oklahoma

Height: 6-0 | Weight: 229 lbs.

2011 Season Stats:

71 Tackles, 4.5 TFL, 3.5 Sacks, 2 INT, 2 PBU, 3 QBH, Fumble Recovered

2010 Season Stats:

66 Tackles, 7.5 TFL, 4.5 Sacks, 5 QBH

Shayne Skov ILB

Experience: Senior | School: Stanford

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 243 lbs.

2011 Season Stats:

19 Tackles, 5.0 TFL, 1.5 Sacks, 1 PBU

2010 Season Stats:

84 Tackles, 10.5 TFL, 7.5 Sacks, 5 PBU, 2 Fumbles Forced, Fumble Recovered

I think that Kuechly is one of the few LBs who can cover a TEs and since they wont be Blitzin much they got to cover someone. I think Wilson and Scott are just to small to hang with Gronk and Hernandez and unfortunately that showed all to well last year.

After the snap Gronk and Hernandez were able to run freely off the LOS last season. With our pass rush they will now have to take a second and chip players at the line before they run their routes. Our pass rush changes lots of things...

There is no ideal type of defender to cover a Big fast pass catching TE. LBs are generally to slow and S are generally a bit too small., but you are better off with a safety on the TE then an LB...

After the snap Gronk and Hernandez were able to run freely off the LOS last season. With our pass rush they will now have to take a second and chip players at the line before they run their routes. Our pass rush changes lots of things...

There is no ideal type of defender to cover a Big fast pass catching TE. LBs are generally to slow and S are generally a bit too small., but you are better off with a safety on the TE then an LB...

Defenses used to jam TEs from coming off the line, I don't know why everyone just lets them run off the line like it's no big deal. If Safeties are supposed to cover TEs we need serious upgrades then cuz the abuse we took from those two is unacceptable.

Defenses used to jam TEs from coming off the line, I don't know why everyone just lets them run off the line like it's no big deal. If Safeties are supposed to cover TEs we need serious upgrades then cuz the abuse we took from those two is unacceptable.

I haven't seen too many people be able to handle those 2; they are great players. By all means they should be getting jammed or have to throw a chip block before they. I really think that they will have to help their Tackles handle Mario and Anderson before they run their routes. This will throw off their timing and make them take an extra second or 2 to get up field, which should allow the safeties a bit more time to get in better position and to close the gaps in the coverage.

I hate watching WRs and TEs get off the LOS without being jammed. I hate it most when our DBs play 5-10 yards off the WRs at the LOS and don't jam. I can understand TEs being played off of, you have to devote a player to get up their with them; DBs are a bit too small and the LBs won't be able to get back in position quick enough. You have to have a pass rush that will force them to hang in the pocket for a second or 2 to help block.

Then either you playing ton of man to man and taking chance of being burned, and being predictable on defense, or playing a saftey at lb, and reducing your ability to stop run. I prefer having atleast 2 LB's that can play 3 downs, so can mix up the defense, and play zone coverages with efectiveness.

Yes having Safety with ability to cover TE for known passing downs is nice as well, not all passing is done on passing downs Iits allot easier for offense to see a safety comming in know what kind of defense your playing, and know when the LB is in that cant cover as well. Makes it allot easier for a Coach to make the calls when knows the defense by the personel on the field.

I would love to see this pick, but are several others that would love as well.

I haven't seen too many people be able to handle those 2; they are great players. By all means they should be getting jammed or have to throw a chip block before they. I really think that they will have to help their Tackles handle Mario and Anderson before they run their routes. This will throw off their timing and make them take an extra second or 2 to get up field, which should allow the safeties a bit more time to get in better position and to close the gaps in the coverage.

I hate watching WRs and TEs get off the LOS without being jammed. I hate it most when our DBs play 5-10 yards off the WRs at the LOS and don't jam. I can understand TEs being played off of, you have to devote a player to get up their with them; DBs are a bit too small and the LBs won't be able to get back in position quick enough. You have to have a pass rush that will force them to hang in the pocket for a second or 2 to help block.

the best way to defeat them is to make them block!!

The Bills have solidifed their D-line, but are desperate for a 3 down LB to play in their new 4-3 defense along with fellow LBs Barnett, Sheppard, Morrison, and Moats. Keuchly could start ahead of Morrison as an OLB along with Sheppard and Barnett. Keuchly's versatility and productivity at a position of great need gives the Bills the most bang for the buck.

The only question is, do the Bills take Keuchly at #10 overall or do they roll the dice and trade back a few spaces to pick up more picks and THEN take Keuchly??

The Bills won't take an OT at #10 overall because the value is not there at that spot, but Keuchly has good value at #10 and even better value at, say, #14 overall. There is a big dropoff at LB after Keuchly so the Bills would be wise to take him when they can.

Some think that S M. Barron will be the pick at #10, but the Bills don't need a SS with G. Wilson on the roster. Wilson is viewed as as one of the top two or three safeties in the league so why would the Bills use their #10 pick on him when they have a glaring need at LB. Instead, expect the Bills to use Barron as bait to obtain more picks from teams bidding to obtain his services and then use their pick to draft the versatile Keuchly.

I'd like to see a trade back with Dallas for their R1 (#14), R2, and R5 picks. The Cowboys would trade up to Barron, whom they covet very much. The Bills would get LB Keuchly (an instant starter) along with R2 and R5 picks. That would give the Bills the following 12 picks in the 2012 Draft and NINE picks in the first five rounds: R1 (LB Keuchly), R2a, R2b, R3, R4a, R4b, R5a, R5b, R5c, R6, R7a, R7b.