Luke Kuechly discussion

Why all this concern about Sheppard? There are 3 LB positions, and Kuechly can play any of them. Linebackers take a lot of punishment, there will be some games missed by linebackers this season. It is also one of the glaring weaknesses of the defense.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it your honest football opinion that there is no difference between Sheppard and Keuchly coming out of college?

GO BILLS!!!

I didn't say there was no difference.

I said "huge" difference.

Huge enough to waste a #10 pick on the difference?

People think Kuechly is better than Sheppard because he is faster, stronger, can jump higher, produced more in college, and is smarter. In my opinion, these attributes will make him a better player in every facet of the game. There is a reason he is going to be a top 15 pick and Sheppard was still available in round 2.

Kuechly fans are working on the above premise

He wouldn't take Sheppard's place! He would likely take over Morrisons spot. It's not "Sheppard Vs. Kuechly". Wasn't it made clear a few hundred times on this board, and then DIRECTLY FROM NIX'S MOUTH, that Kuechly can play any of the 3 LB positions?

If the above premise is true why wouldn't you have the bigger, stronger, faster, smarter player be the QB of the defense?

If the Bills draft Kuechly at #10 there is no doubt he will be drafted to play MLB and be the QB of the defense.

It doesn't make any sense to draft a 4-3 LB "that can play all 3 positions" at #10 and not have him play the most important LB position over the 3rd round pick.

Now that would be stupid on top of stupid.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Ok, but keep in mind the following before casting judgment on Sheppard:

A. He was a rookie asked to play perhaps the most cerebral position in the NFL other than QB.

B. George Edwards was the coordinator of the cluster!@#$ that was the 2011 Buffalo Bills defense.

C. For most of the season, the defensive line in front of him consisted of another rookie, Dareus, plus a bunch of scrubs.

D. He was hurt through a lot (most?) of the shortened training camp -- just great for a rookie.

We have NO idea what sort of a player Shep is or will become...but we do know the Bills' coaches like him a lot.

D. He was hurt through a lot (most?) of the shortened training camp -- just great for a rookie.

We have NO idea what sort of a player Shep is or will become...but we do know the Bills' coaches like him a lot.

I think we WILL know if Bills coaches like him a lot. Remember Wanstache was the Inside Line Backer coach last year.

Meaning he spent tons of time with Shepp. Wanstadt knows if he wants Shepp to be his MLB and QB of his Defense right now.

If they draft Kuelchy at #10 it is likely that, the answer is they don't like Shepp a lot.

If they don't draft Kuelchy at #10 then they think Shepp will be the MLB and QB of the defense.

For the sake of argument, let's say we draft Kuechly. Which LB position would you target for him?

He'll Start at the OLB Position Morrison was going to play on base downs...Then he'll stay on the field in Nickle and probably even dime situations dropping in coverage...I don't see him rushing the passer much at all...

It would be easier to move Kuechly outside than it would be to do the same with Shep IMHO...But I think Kuechly is the Bills best Cover LB from Day #1...And I'm not saying that means much considering...But still... B-)

He'll Start at the OLB Position Morrison was going to play on base downs...Then he'll stay on the field in Nickle and probably even dime situations dropping in coverage...I don't see him rushing the passer much at all...

It would be easier to move Kuechly outside than it would be to do the same with Shep IMHO...But I think Kuechly is the Bills best Cover LB from Day #1...And I'm not saying that means much considering...But still... B-)

Do you really spend a #10 pick on a LB who doesn't rush the passer but is good in coverage? And I guess what I mean to say, is, isn't there a guy at another position who will make more of an impact on the team than this?

Edited by eball

I didn't say there was no difference.

I said "huge" difference.

Huge enough to waste a #10 pick on the difference?

Kuechly fans are working on the above premise

If the above premise is true why wouldn't you have the bigger, stronger, faster, smarter player be the QB of the defense?

If the Bills draft Kuechly at #10 there is no doubt he will be drafted to play MLB and be the QB of the defense.

It doesn't make any sense to draft a 4-3 LB "that can play all 3 positions" at #10 and not have him play the most important LB position over the 3rd round pick.

Now that would be stupid on top of stupid.

Crayonz, is this you?

Do you really spend a #10 pick on a LB who doesn't rush the passer but is good in coverage? And I guess what I mean to say, is, isn't there a guy at another position who will make more of an impact on the team than this?

Sure! Why not? There are many people advocating for CB's at 10th overall, and all CB's do is cover. They're not even expected to do much in run support, let alone rush the passer.

A LB like Kuechly, meanwhile, will be on the field for all 3 plays and is actually faster than the best TE's and possession WR's in the game...in addition to his ability to stop the run.

I really don't understand the Kuechly outrage. Oh right, he has the same skin color as Poz. Therefore, Kuechly = Poz.

I don't know if there are better talents to be had at 10, so that passing on Keuchly would be wise in that we ended up with a better player - but, I do know that every layer of our defense - D-line, linebackers, safeties, and corners has some top talent, except the linebacking corps. I'd say the corners and safeties are more important in the current NFL, with all the passing going on, but I believe most great defenses have great linebackers, too. If Keuchly is a beast of a linebacker, and not something like a London Fletcher - which is good, too - only I prefer a Clay Matthews to a London Fletcher type LB - then we can't go wrong with adding that kind of talent to the linebacking corps.

Again, we probably can't go wrong adding a very good CB, either, as far as the defense goes. So, if it is a defensive position to be taken, I think it should come down to which is the better positional player? Is Keuchly a better LB than, say, Gilmore is a CB? Or, is Keuchly a better LB than Ingram is a DE? That is the question it'll come down to, I think.

Edited by sllib olaffub

Sure! Why not? There are many people advocating for CB's at 10th overall, and all CB's do is cover. They're not even expected to do much in run support, let alone rush the passer.

A LB like Kuechly, meanwhile, will be on the field for all 3 plays and is actually faster than the best TE's and possession WR's in the game...in addition to his ability to stop the run.

I really don't understand the Kuechly outrage. Oh right, he has the same skin color as Poz. Therefore, Kuechly = Poz.

I know you're probably not referring to me, but I'm not outraged. If the Bills pick Kuechly it's because Nix thinks he is an impact player, and that's good enough for me.

I don't equate a LB in the 4-3 to a starting CB, however. CBs must make game-changing plays on a regular basis. I'd bet the respective salaries of the positions bear me out on that.

It's a tough question...I'm really unsure...I do know Mayock says that Kuechly is the best, and most instinctive, LB in coverage he has ever Scouted...So...I'm not sure there is any way to compare what Kuechly potentially brings...And it's not that he can't blitz and help out there...I think it's more like he was so good at covering he did not rush the passer much at BC...That's just my guess...

The Bills have guys to rush the passer now...And it's a passers league...In the Bills Division the Patsies have Brady, Gronk, and Hernandez...The Jets have Keller who can be a handful...The Fish TE Fasano had 2 TD's vs The Bills last year...So...I'm not saying I think Kuechly will be, or should be, the pick at #10...But I think it's easy enough to make an argument for a great cover LB who is a tackling machine, and REAL fast...I can see it...That's all... B-)

It's a tough question...I'm really unsure...I do know Mayock says that Kuechly is the best, and most instinctive, LB in coverage he has ever Scouted...So...I'm not sure there is any way to compare what Kuechly potentially brings...And it's not that he can't blitz and help out there...I think it's more like he was so good at covering he did not rush the passer much at BC...That's just my guess...

The Bills have guys to rush the passer now...And it's a passers league...In the Bills Division the Patsies have Brady, Gronk, and Hernandez...The Jets have Keller who can be a handful...The Fish TE Fasano had 2 TD's vs The Bills last year...So...I'm not saying I think Kuechly will be, or should be, the pick at #10...But I think it's easy enough to make an argument for a great cover LB who is a tackling machine, and REAL fast...I can see it...That's all... B-)

This^^^^^^

The point is that they could both start!

Eventually, yes, but it's a big step from BC to the NFL.

I think Barnett might have something to say about that, but you could be right. That would give us 3 LBs that could play on passing downs: Barnett, Scott, and Kuechly.

Sure you do, if he's good enough to stay on the field to cover TEs and RBs in this pass-happy NFL.