My 2012 Draft: Kalil & Decastro

This assumes that OBD's plan is Fitz for the next 2-4yrs

Trade up for Kalil:

2012 2nd

2013 1st

2013 2nd or trade Mckelvin (or both if required)

Draft Decastro with this years 10th pick

Draft WR/CB/LB with remaining picks in 2012 and fill any remaining gapes with FA/training camp/preseason cuts.

RESULT: Quite possibly the Best O & D lines in the NFL in 2-3yrs. Best for 5-10ys.

*NOTE: I would sacrifice our #1 in 2014 to recover a 1st selection in 2013 to snag a QB. (Like Wilson. He should be the starter in 2014. Our O & D lines will turn 3yrs old that season and should be a welled oiled machine. I cannot imagine a more perfect scenario to then start your franchise QB!!

THIWR (Thats How I Would Roll)

<Take cover>

Edited by RichardBag

Trade up for Kalil:

2012 2nd

2013 1st

Draft WR/CB/LB with remaining picks in 2012 and fill any remaining gapes with FA/training camp/preseason cuts.

RESULT: Quite possibly the Best O & D lines in the NFL in 2-3yrs. Best for 5-10ys.

*NOTE: I would sacrifice our #1 in 2014 to recover a 1st selection in 2013 to snag a QB. (Like Wilson. He should be the starter in 2014. Our O & D lines will turn 3yrs old that season and should be a welled oiled machine. I cannot imagine a more perfect scenario to then start your franchise QB!!

<Take cover>

The scenario is fun to think about, but I don't think there is any way a team would trade the #3 overall pick without swapping for our first this year.

It actually touches on something I have been thinking about. If Buddy thinks this is our year does he trade away next years picks to get more this year? If this is the year that we go for it. Just a question.

Trade up for Kalil:

2012 2nd

2013 1st

not even close for what we'd have to give up to move up to three. In fact, it's so short it's ridiculous. That being said, I think Kalil is a stud and would consider giving up what is necessary, which is probably this year's 1st and 3rd, and next years first. The draft is deep enough in receivers and linebackers that I trust Nix to find some good guys in the middle rounds.

I think the Bills had every intention to resign Bell, but Peters unexpected injury artificially inflated Bell's worth, and the Bills balked at the higher numbers required to keep him. In an otherwise excellent offseason, I think that was a poor move on their part.

They are in a tough predicament now, with noone of the quality as last years number 9 pick, Tyron Smith, expected to be around when they pick at 10. The only way that the left tackle position is not an achilles heel for this team now is if they find a way to get Kalil. I don't think Hairston, or anyone aside from Kalil will be able to step in next season and play competent left tackle for the course of 16 games. Acquiring Kalil would turn a weakness into a real strength at a very important position. I don't know exactly what the price will be, but assuming it is not astronomical, I think the Bills should be highly aggressive in attempting to move up from 10 to 3.

Edited by Nostradamus

Take cover indeed.

You would not be trading up to #3 without including the #10 this year in the package.

Future picks are typically worth one round less - i.e., 2013 1st is worth a 2012 2nd. I suppose a 2014 1st is worth a 3rd then, but 2 years out is rarely traded.

It's fun to speculate about trading your old beater for a late model BMW, but it just is not going to happen.

i dunno, rb...

10 to 3 is a pretty steep climb. just ask the redskins who had to surrender multiple appendages just to move from #6 to #2. Most likely it would require 3 consecutive 1st round picks. is kalil worth all that? (mckelvin and $3 will get you a gallon of gas in a trade).

remember that anyone picked is just a prospect, nothing more. surefire stars from the past include robert gallery (he ended up at guard) and tony mandarich (did he ever actually play??). i HOPE i don't need to bring up #4 pick mike williams. :rolleyes:

finally, consider our past starters and how they got here: bell- 7th round pick. peters- undrafted. that may not be the best way to come up with left tackles, but consider the sebastian vollmers of the world. there may not be another kalil available this year, but i'm willing to bet that more than one other tackle in the draft will be successful in the nfl. the trick is to find him and coach him to his potential. i think the guys we have working in those areas can handle all that.

i'd let andy fight it out with hairston this year, and draft a kid with half a brain(that would rule out another bell) and real potential(please, no more wangs!), someone like stephenson from OK, or potter from BS. i predict that we'll need all our draft pix next year.

~AS

Trade up for Kalil:

2012 2nd

2013 1st

<Take cover>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I LOVE your idea but I don't think the Vikings would give up the third over all pick in the draft without getting our 2012 1st rounder as part of the package. The offensive and defensive lines would certainly be dominant for long, long time. Adding Kalil and DeCastro to Levitre, Wood, and either (Pears or Hairston) would be sick. Even Fitz would look good behind that line. I believe the trenches are the MOST IMPORTANT part of a team. You build your lines first, I call it laying the foundation. The guys in the trenches determine how good your skill players will look. A great offensive line will make the backs and quarterback look better than they are. On the other side of the ball your defensive line determines how good your linebackers and defensive backs will look. Like they say, it all starts up FRONT.

Great idea, but I don't think the trade would be possible. But man, what an offensive line the Bills would have!!! If Decastro and Kalil pan out as predicted, future pro bowlers, you would have at least 3, and maybe 4 of your lineman going to the pro bowl every year.

we would have to give up more and mortgage the farm and sell the kids too.

But if there were a way it fell to us! Like Kalil dropped to 6 or 7, i could see risking our future picks. Because that is one heck of a fantasy O line mister :thumbsup:

whats the deal with everyone thinking russel wilson should be the starting qb in a year or 2? i dont see it in him. every year people start gushing on this mid round qb prospects for the bills. its crazy

whats the deal with everyone thinking russel wilson should be the starting qb in a year or 2? i dont see it in him. every year people start gushing on this mid round qb prospects for the bills. its crazy

===========================================================================================

Well you have to realize the Bills fans haven't seen a decent quarterback since Jim Kelly, that was almost 20 years ago. Any quarterback that can throw a five yard completion looks like Peyton Manning to them.

Several posters have wanted to draft Wilson, but this is the first I recall who has had Wilson starting in 2 years. So your "everyone" has little basis in fact.

I think people may see Wilson as a backup or wildcat QB at best.

Several posters have wanted to draft Wilson, but this is the first I recall who has had Wilson starting in 2 years. So your "everyone" has little basis in fact.

I think people may see Wilson as a backup or wildcat QB at best.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe he's Ralph Wilson's grandson. LOL

If so, he would start immediately. Ralph makes the decisions, that's why the Bills stink every year.

The scenario is fun to think about, but I don't think there is any way a team would trade the #3 overall pick without swapping for our first this year.

Exactly. Fun to think about but it expresses my thought on what this team needs in order to contend. We need more ELITE talent on the OL. Our lines have generally been patchwork at best. OL will continue to be a draft need every year. There is some solace in knowing certain positions will be well manned for longer than a year or two. And I agree, no return 1st this year maybe a tough consideration as part of this deal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I LOVE your idea but I don't think the Vikings would give up the third over all pick in the draft without getting our 2012 1st rounder as part of the package. The offensive and defensive lines would certainly be dominant for long, long time. Adding Kalil and DeCastro to Levitre, Wood, and either (Pears or Hairston) would be sick. Even Fitz would look good behind that line. I believe the trenches are the MOST IMPORTANT part of a team. You build your lines first, I call it laying the foundation. The guys in the trenches determine how good your skill players will look. A great offensive line will make the backs and quarterback look better than they are. On the other side of the ball your defensive line determines how good your linebackers and defensive backs will look. Like they say, it all starts up FRONT.

Great idea, but I don't think the trade would be possible. But man, what an offensive line the Bills would have!!! If Decastro and Kalil pan out as predicted, future pro bowlers, you would have at least 3, and maybe 4 of your lineman going to the pro bowl every year.

This!! :wub: lol....thanks....funny thing is I was telling a friend the other day that I dont have dreams anymore :doh:

But if there were a way it fell to us! Like Kalil dropped to 6 or 7, i could see risking our future picks. Because that is one heck of a fantasy O line mister :thumbsup:

Git err dun :thumbsup:

Tyler Wilson - Arkansas (Should be eligible 2013 for draft)

Vikings have been known to not even make a selection in the first round. If i recall they have done it twice a few years back? So who the hell knows with that organization.

I like to think that, I construe reality based balls of **** before throwing them at a wall. Even I know that loose **** doesnt stick well. But it shouldnt keep you from playing with **** though :oops:

:beer:

I'd never want to see this happen. Bills need to take the BPA this year and see if Fitz is playoff capable. If he isn't they need to make a redskins esq trade for a top QB next year in the draft. The Bills have playoff talent, but cant afford to mortgage future drafts until they are sure they have a proven franchise QB. Fitz has yet to prove himself.

Vikings have been known to not even make a selection in the first round. If i recall they have done it twice a few years back? So who the hell knows with that organization.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the 3rd pick in the draft if the Vikings didn't make a selection I think the entire front office would be FIRED right there on the spot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sell the farm, farming sucks. Having kids is overated, dump the little b------ds while you can still get something for them. I'd rather have Kalil on the team.

Trade up for Kalil:

2012 2nd

2013 1st

<Take cover>

It should be mandatory for anyone thinking about trading up/down to read this and fully understand it before trying to decide what we should do in those scenarios. Those numbers are so far off its not even funny. Keep in mind that all the picks from the future year are down-valued a round.

First off, love this idea.:worthy: Buts its more of a Bill Polian move then a Buddy Nix move. We all know Buddy Nix covets every draft pick like his own children, so I highly doubt he trades any of his picks. Although, this move would be almost as monumental as acquiring DE Mario Williams as those two O linemen would go a long way to making the Bills line one of the best in the league for years to come.

NFN, but the Vikings* will want the farm for that #3 pick, they have seen what the Redskins gave up for the #2 spot and they are jealous as hell :lol: 3, #1's picks, 2012, 2013, 2014, oh man....Thats right THREE first round draft picks for RG3 and that #2 spot.

The Vikings* think that the Dolphins (who are desperate for a QB) will try and trade up in front of the browns for Tannehill, so the Vikes want some extra first round picks also. So, "IF" this happens before the draft the Bills might actually be in position to trade up without giving up the farm in draft picks to draft Kalil.

I all reality I'd rather see the Bills draft David DeCastro with that #10 pick and then trade back up in the second half of the first round for OT Jonathan Martin or OT Mike Adams, or even WR Stephan Hill. Decastro would be an immense help on that line with Wood at Center and Levitre at the other guard position as that middle would be almost impossible cave in. Finally Fitz would have that much needed pocket to step up into on a consistent basis. The Bills just might see Hairston as their full time LT now, who knows

The Bills still have many holes to fill and only so many picks to help this year

Edited by Fear the Beard

I'd rather see the Bills draft David DeCastro with that #10 pick

"We’re going to draft a tackle if we can. If there’s one there is what I mean. If there’s one we think can play we’re going to draft a tackle. You can never have too many tackles. This could be an exception, you can have exceptions to this but it’s easier to move a guy from tackle to guard than it is from guard to tackle, obviously. We draft tackles and we are at pretty good shape at guard and center." Buddy Nix

<Take cover>

Why?

There's nothing wrong with this. Fun speculation. I think it's completely unrealistic, but as my sig says, anything is possible.

The difference between this....and the posts that get attacked :devil:....is that you aren't telling us you "know" this option is available....because some internet turd says so, or, because you got a quote from a GM, who is blatantly blowing smoke. You aren't some naive bumpkin who is posting crap, as intended, by media/teams looking to spin. Or, at least you aren't so far.....

If you cross into that nonsense...then yeah, prepare for the beating.

"We're going to draft a tackle if we can. If there's one there is what I mean. If there's one we think can play we're going to draft a tackle. You can never have too many tackles. This could be an exception, you can have exceptions to this but it's easier to move a guy from tackle to guard than it is from guard to tackle, obviously. We draft tackles and we are at pretty good shape at guard and center." Buddy Nix

Yea I know the Nix speak well. I have been pushing for drafting a top LT since the Bills traded away JP. I suppose I just bought into this draft scenario to get Kalil and wanted DeCastro as well. I just see DeCastro as a future all pro guard who would help solidify that line from getting caved in. I still have visions of Jets NT Kris Jenkins being triple teamed by both guards and the center and he still got to the QB. I realize Jenkins is long gone now, but the Patriots still have Wilfork.

Yea I know the Nix speak well. I have been pushing for drafting a top LT since the Bills traded away JP. I suppose I just bought into this draft scenario to get Kalil and wanted DeCastro as well. I just see DeCastro as a future all pro guard who would help solidify that line from getting caved in. I still have visions of Jets NT Kris Jenkins being triple teamed by both guards and the center and he still got to the QB. I realize Jenkins is long gone now, but the Patriots still have Wilfork.

You have to stand pat sometimes...When Freddie got hurt he was 3rd in the NFL in Rushing...Fitz was one of the least Sacked QB's in the NFL...The Bills O-Line is not perfect...But they are 4 deep (plus Jasper) from OG to OG, and they have GLARING needs elsewhere including LT, OLB, CB, and WR...

Taking an OG at #10 would be worse than taking a RB at #8 when you already have 2 RB's on the Roster with Pro-Bowl potential...

Oh wait... :unsure:

;)

Trade up for Kalil:

2012 2nd

2013 1st

<Take cover>

NUTZ... Sorry, but that would be a huge step backwards... Jason Peters was an UnDrafted TE out of Arkanasa... Bell was a low round pick... A top OT can be drafted and developed without selling the future...

I'd go w/ Ingram at 10 (who will be BPA), and trade back into the first to get Martin or Adams. Or wait for one to fall to us in the second. I also think Dartko from Florida State is an underrated talent that I wouldn't mind getting in a later round. We need instant impact playmakers.

Edited by RyanC883