Is there something I'm not getting about Brock Osweiler?

I seen that we have a pre draft visit with Osweiler. I've been looking at some youtube video of him and i'm not understanding how this guy is even gonna be drafted at all. Almost 90% of his throws seem to be little dump passes at the line of scrimmage and when he does throw it upfield it seems like he doesn't have enough velocity on it and almost gets picked a lot. I'm afraid were gonna pick this guy and it's gonna be well before he's even supposed to be drafted. I'm just not understanding what some of these critics see in him.

In Buddy I trust. If he decides one of these guys could be something special I'll believe it.

Dareus

Williams

Shephard

Hairston

Rodgers

Spiller

they all seem like quality starters at some point or another. And with Carrington, Troup, Batten, Easley, I believe they might possibly have more weapons in the future.

If he thinks someone can provide help i'm on board. Afterall, he is the GM of one of 32 football teams in the entire world. I assume he has a clue what he's doing.

I seen that we have a pre draft visit with Osweiler. I've been looking at some youtube video of him and i'm not understanding how this guy is even gonna be drafted at all. Almost 90% of his throws seem to be little dump passes at the line of scrimmage and when he does throw it upfield it seems like he doesn't have enough velocity on it and almost gets picked a lot. I'm afraid were gonna pick this guy and it's gonna be well before he's even supposed to be drafted. I'm just not understanding what some of these critics see in him.

Osweiler is a prospect that is not expected to start right away. He's coming out early, as a Junior, and is projected as a guy that will be a very good NFL QB after sitting and learning for a couple of seasons. I strongly disagree with you in respect to his arm strength, because he is considered to have one of the strongest arms in this draft. The reason some of his passes get tipped is because he likes to thread the needle, because of his arm strength, but he also completes a good number of them; a good example of these completions are his TD passes against Mizzou (first TD pass) and Utah (quick pass across the middle). I would love for him to be a Buffalo Bill. Hope you "get" Brock Osweiler now...

In Buddy I trust. If he decides one of these guys could be something special I'll believe it.

Dareus

Williams

Shephard

Hairston

Rodgers

Spiller

they all seem like quality starters at some point or another. And with Carrington, Troup, Batten, Easley, I believe they might possibly have more weapons in the future.

If he thinks someone can provide help i'm on board. Afterall, he is the GM of one of 32 football teams in the entire world. I assume he has a clue what he's doing.

Haha. April Fools Day! Yeah, all those guys are usually right about QB's (Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, JP Losman, Heath Shuler..I doubt there is enough room for all the names). Just step back everyone, if one of the 32 GM's thinks a has something special, he does!

I think if you saw him play in a game you would like him a lot, although he did have a couple down games. A lot of times he didnt get a lot of help. He has plenty of arm and is MOST of the time extremely accurate. In fact, as far as hitting WRs and RBs in perfect stride so they do not have to turn or lose one tenth of a second in speed, he does it on a regular basis more than any QB I have seen in a long time. That doesn't mean all of his throws are on the money. But he is absolutely remarkable at hitting swings, slants, ins, quick posts, etc with flat perfect accuracy.

The Sun Devils, under Neal Mazzone, ran this very stupid play about 6 times per game where a WR or RB would go in motion, way wide, often times behind the QB in the flat, and as soon as Osweiler would get the ball he would turn and gun it to the sidelines. It was criminally stupid because, of course, when it was backwards if it were incomplete it was a fumble, and it was not an easy pass at all. But he nailed it virtually every time. Once or twice there was a drop, which became a fumble. But 9 times out of 10 it was a perfect pass that hit the player in perfect stride. In 45 years of watching football I have never seen a team do that, and they did it several times a game.

This game was a typical game. Against USC, one of the best teams in the nation. The youtube shows every pass, so it is not a highlight clip. And they didnt throw downfield this game much at all, so you don't see his deep ball but he has plenty of arm and is usually pretty accurate.

I think if you saw him play in a game you would like him a lot, although he did have a couple down games. A lot of times he didnt get a lot of help. He has plenty of arm and is MOST of the time extremely accurate. In fact, as far as hitting WRs and RBs in perfect stride so they do not have to turn or lose one tenth of a second in speed, he does it on a regular basis more than any QB I have seen in a long time. That doesn't mean all of his throws are on the money. But he is absolutely remarkable at hitting swings, slants, ins, quick posts, etc with flat perfect accuracy.

The Sun Devils, under Neal Mazzone, ran this very stupid play about 6 times per game where a WR or RB would go in motion, way wide, often times behind the QB in the flat, and as soon as Osweiler would get the ball he would turn and gun it to the sidelines. It was criminally stupid because, of course, when it was backwards if it were incomplete it was a fumble, and it was not an easy pass at all. But he nailed it virtually every time. Once or twice there was a drop, which became a fumble. But 9 times out of 10 it was a perfect pass that hit the player in perfect stride. In 45 years of watching football I have never seen a team do that, and they did it several times a game.

This game was a typical game. Against USC, one of the best teams in the nation. The youtube shows every pass, so it is not a highlight clip. And they didnt throw downfield this game much at all, so you don't see his deep ball but he has plenty of arm and is usually pretty accurate.

youtube.com/watch?v=rqYAUD97lRQ

Yeah he threw 50 screen passes to his running back out of the back field doesn't seem very hard

Im nt sure why he's coming out, very little experience . He's a big strong kid tho. Someone will take him in rounds 4-7 and try to develop him. Personally I hope its not us JMO

Doesn't trust his system or talent around him to improve his stock? Only get so many chances in your life to make a jump like that?

We will bring in about 25 guys we will never draft and visit with 100 others

He has plenty of arm and is MOST of the time extremely accurate.

His arm looks plenty strong but his mechanics look funky. Sort of a three-quarter throwing motion (Kosar-ish) rather than a classic over-the-top.

David Lee, come on down...

Haha. April Fools Day! Yeah, all those guys are usually right about QB's (Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, JP Losman, Heath Shuler..I doubt there is enough room for all the names). Just step back everyone, if one of the 32 GM's thinks a has something special, he does!

Just like 31 gms were wrong about Brady 6 times and Joe Montana a number of times. Favre, Marino, Young, etc.... I'm not saying they can't be wrong. I'm saying so far Nix has done a pretty good job and is considered byany to be am expert talent evaluator. I don't follow college ball much so I can't speak for many guys coming out of th draft but if Buddy sees something in one of these young guys I tend to believe in it.

Doesn't trust his system or talent around him to improve his stock? Only get so many chances in your life to make a jump like that?

Pretty sure that ASU's coach got fired. Understandable that he'd declare rather than deal with new coach/new system in his final year.

His arm looks plenty strong but his mechanics look funky. Sort of a three-quarter throwing motion (Kosar-ish) rather than a classic over-the-top.

He worked on his throwing motion, looks to be throwing more over the top now! His Pro Day highlights are on YouTube if you want to check them out.

I don't think he needed to at all, because usually when your mechanics are wrong you lose velocity, accuracy, or your release is slower, and he had no problem with any of those. He has a strong arm, quick release and accuracy even with the slightly funky delivery. BUT, they wanted him to change his delivery for the NFL to be more straight over the top like you said, and he already changed it, according to reports. His pro day was the first day he unveiled the new throwing motion and by all accounts, threw well and threw accurate. He worked with some QB guru that worked with Newton before the draft last year.

He's SUPER raw and inexperienced, but Osweiler has all the tools to one day be a decent NFL QB...Thing is, it's going to take a lot of work, and there are HUGE concerns about his feel for the Game...Some Scouts question not only his knowledge of Defenses and how to properly read them, but also his knowledge of his own Offense at times...He's going to be over-drafted...You can mark it down right now..Not to say that he wont be a good NFL QB one day...But he should not go higher than the 4th Round based on who he is and what he has shown thus-far...Ryan Mallett was light years ahead of Osweiler coming into the NFL and he went in the 3rd...Admittedly Osweiler is a MUCH better athlete than Mallett..But Mallett had the better arm, could read Defenses better, was more accurate, and had a master grip on the Arkansas Offense...

It should be interested to see where Osweiler lands in this Draft...I saw McShay had him Top 30 or so...That is one clueless Scout! B-)

He's SUPER raw and inexperienced, but Osweiler has all the tools to one day be a decent NFL QB...Thing is, it's going to take a lot of work, and there are HUGE concerns about his feel for the Game...Some Scouts question not only his knowledge of Defenses and how to properly read them, but also his knowledge of his own Offense at times...He's going to be over-drafted...You can mark it down right now..Not to say that he wont be a good NFL QB one day...But he should not go higher than the 4th Round based on who he is and what he has shown thus-far...Ryan Mallett was light years ahead of Osweiler coming into the NFL and he went in the 3rd...Admittedly Osweiler is a MUCH better athlete than Mallett..But Mallett had the better arm, could read Defenses better, was more accurate, and had a master grip on the Arkansas Offense...

It should be interested to see where Osweiler lands in this Draft...I saw McShay had him Top 30 or so...That is one clueless Scout! B-)

You're mostly right, but the reason Mallett dropped into the third round is because he was extremely immature. He had trouble with alcohol in college, and even missed a visit with the Panthers because he was reportedly hung over from partying the night before.

The offense he ran was very difficult to run and he had total command of it. They were in the no huddle the entire game, a lot of complex patterns, usually 4-5 receivers. I don't know where that stuff is coming from. If anything his WRs were the ones that didn't seem to know it and often ran patterns right next to each other. His offensive coach, Neal Mozzone, loved him.

I like him a lot but I don't think he should be drafted before the third round, and I wouldn't even take him in the third round if there was another guy there we liked equally as much at a position of need.

The offense he ran was very difficult to run and he had total command of it. They were in the no huddle the entire game, a lot of complex patterns, usually 4-5 receivers. I don't know where that stuff is coming from. If anything his WRs were the ones that didn't seem to know it and often ran patterns right next to each other. His offensive coach, Neal Mozzone, loved him.

I like him a lot but I don't think he should be drafted before the third round, and I wouldn't even take him in the third round if there was another guy there we liked equally as much at a position of need.

It is almost indisputable that qbs that play a lot in college are better equipped to play in the NFL. I'm not sure what is going on with his program that makes him want to prematurely opt out. If he made it on a NFL roster it would probably be as a practice squad qb, not a backup. As a practice squad qb he wouldn't get real time reps to advance his development. In my view his maturation as a qb will be stunted due to his early departure from the college game.

It is almost indisputable that qbs that play a lot in college are better equipped to play in the NFL. I'm not sure what is going on with his program that makes him want to prematurely opt out. If he made it on a NFL roster it would probably be as a practice squad qb, not a backup. As a practice squad qb he wouldn't get real time reps to advance his development. In my view his maturation as a qb will be stunted due to his early departure from the college game.

He could never be a practice squad player because some team would sign him off your practice squad to be their #3 developmental QB, especially with the rules they instituted last year. I don't think he could play in the NFL for 1-2 years, if at all.

As far as college goes, in 2010 he was behind a QB who was pretty good and a year ahead of him so he didnt play hardly at all even though he was a top recruit. He played this whole season as a starter for a unique OC who ran the whole offense and a clusterfkkk of a team in disarray coached by Dennis Erickson. At the end of the season, Erickson was fired and his OC went to UCLA. A whole new coaching staff came in and he was told by the NFL he would likely be drafted in the 3-5 rounds so he decided to come out rather than play one year and learn a new offense for a new coach trying to build a program and all new WRs for the most part too.