Is there something I'm not getting about Brock Osweiler?

Buddy is scaring others that we might take a QB high and have to draft ahead of us.

I bet if you look back, none of the guys we brought in before the draft get drafted by us.

You would be wrong. I think there were four last year. I know #1 Dareus and #3 Sheppard and #4 Searcy were all brought in. I think there was at least one more.

Osweiler is raw but he's got a nice live arm. Mazzone runs a ton of bubble screens, so that's what you'll see in most highlights. He's a good athlete (If I recall, he was a pretty big basketball recruit coming out of high school). Would love to see him here with a 3rd round or later selection.

In Buddy I trust. If he decides one of these guys could be something special I'll believe it.

Dareus

Williams

Shephard

Hairston

Rodgers

Spiller

they all seem like quality starters at some point or another. And with Carrington, Troup, Batten, Easley, I believe they might possibly have more weapons in the future.

If he thinks someone can provide help i'm on board. Afterall, he is the GM of one of 32 football teams in the entire world. I assume he has a clue what he's doing.

Nix's job is to make the roster better through fa and draft. He's done it by:

-re-signing key players

-free agents like Barnett, chandler, ubrick, and now Williams and Anderson

- drafting guys like, Darius, shep, Hairston, spiller, sercey and so on. All improvements over who they replaced.

Yeah the first draft with mordak still in the mix was margainal, and merrimen risk may not pan out, but all in all hes doing a good job and the expectation should be as good a draft turnout as 2011's class

Osweiler is raw but he's got a nice live arm. Mazzone runs a ton of bubble screens, so that's what you'll see in most highlights. He's a good athlete (If I recall, he was a pretty big basketball recruit coming out of high school). Would love to see him here with a 3rd round or later selection.

He got a basketball scholarship to Gonzaga and turned it down to play football. That's how good of a hoopster and athlete he is. That said, he's not a fabulous runner, just a good one. He's very athletic and agile, especially for a 6'7" guy.

if we took him before one of are 4th round picks id be furious, I don't know how the person who posted that video can think he's good when he attempted about 2 passes longer then 12 yards the whole game. Pass. Id way rather have lindley then him.

Ummmmmm... because no one watching one highlight film, of one game, where he wasn't asked to throw the ball downfield would have any idea knowing how good or not good he was overall, especially about his downfield passing? :wallbash:

I posted that video because it was one that showed every pass in the game, not just the highlights, against a top team. I have seen him throw downfield a ton, and he can do it. He's not at all a checkdown guy. He doesn't prefer to throw short rather than downfield. Those were the plays called and the kind of offense they ran, and he didnt need to throw downfield because they went right down the field most drives and beat one of the best teams in the country.

I don't know where that stuff is coming from.

Specifically under the "impression" part of this report...Now I'm not saying Bunting is the be-all end-all...But he is thorough...

Scouting Report on Osweiler

Casserly and Lombardi...

NFL.com on Osweiler

I just don't hear or read a lot of great stuff about the Kid...But everyone seems to think he's a good developmental prospect who is athletic with a live arm... B-)

Specifically under the "impression" part of this report...Now I'm not saying Bunting is the be-all end-all...But he is thorough...

Scouting Report on Osweiler

Casserly and Lombardi...

NFL.com on Osweiler

I just don't hear or read a lot of great stuff about the Kid...But everyone seems to think he's a good developmental prospect who is athletic with a live arm... B-)

That's a pretty thorough report with a lot of specifics that I agree with. And again, I like him a lot but dont think we should draft him before the 3rd or 4th. I don't think he can play in the NFL for 2-3 years.

But I also don't know where Bunting is coming up with this stuff. He says he needs to learn the offense better but he doesn't seem to know anything about the what the situation was at ASU. He says " Doesn't have a great feel for the offense at this stage." At what stage? He played in it for one year and the coach was fired before the end of the season. When did he write or think this? There isn't any further stage.

And the NFL.com thing had nothing to do or say about ability to learn or know offenses. That was what I questioned. There are a lot of questions about how good a prospect he is. And rightfully so. I think his chances of becoming a quality starter in the NFL are very slight, and I like the guy as a long term prospect.

You're mostly right, but the reason Mallett dropped into the third round is because he was extremely immature. He had trouble with alcohol in college, and even missed a visit with the Panthers because he was reportedly hung over from partying the night before.

You do know that even The Panthers refuted that rumor about Mallett right?

Mallett rumor BS

I'm not saying there was not doubt by some Teams about Mallett's attitude off-the-field...But I think most of that was squashed by the time the Draft came around...I think Mallett slipped mainly on the fact that he's a statue, and because he made some bad decisions late in some games...He's REAL slow on his feet, and in the NFL that is a BIG problem unless your name is Tom Brady...And look who drafted Mallett... B-)

And the NFL.com thing had nothing to do or say about ability to learn or know offenses. That was what I questioned.

I hear ya...I do think that if you read between the lines that may be what Lombardi was questioning when he commented on Osweiler not starting early in his College career...That's kind of how I took it, but that was after I ready the National Football Post Report so...Maybe I was just jumping to conclusions... B-)

Some GM will no doubt make the same mistake I made at a rec-center a while back. I needed five guys for a hoops pickup game, and it came down to two players. One seemed athletic, but was painfully short. The other was a tall, lanky, beanpole character I believed would dunk every time we fed the rock to him.

Needless to say I was wrong.

The shorter guy was an absolute dynamo on the court. He, in fact, dunked several times in the course of the game, which ended up being an 11-4 blowout. Big man was teats on a steer. However, I can't put it all on him. It was my down, and I shouldn't have allowed prejudice to govern my selections.

By picking solely on size, I alone sealed our embarassing fate that afternoon.

Don't be like me.

Osweiller may yet become a successful pro. However, given his limited body of work, a first-round phone call to his agent could be a mistake. -Hey, I LIKE the kid. He Stands tall in the pocket, plays fearless, and really wants to win games. Still, I can envision YEARS of him holding clipboards without really becoming a legit NFL QB.

Third round should be the earliest Osweillers's name is even brought up. For my money, I'd gamble on Russell Wilson (if he was still there.) In the 4th. -Wilson has a 12-guage arm, and is deadly-accurate as a passer. He's an electrifying athlete who's had great success executing two BCS pro-style offenses.

This time, I gotta roll with the short guy. Super-size prospects can sometimes equal super-size letdowns. :)

Edited by #34fan

I hear ya...I do think that if you read between the lines that may be what Lombardi was questioning when he commented on Osweiler not starting early in his College career...That's kind of how I took it, but that was after I ready the National Football Post Report so...Maybe I was just jumping to conclusions... B-)

Lombardi was being lazy. When Osweiler was a sophomore there were two guys ahead of him, another high recruit Samson Sazkacey who got hurt, and a very highly rated junior transfer from Michigan, Steven Threet, who was very good and started as a freshman for Michigan. When Rich Rodriguez came to Michigan it wasnt a good offense for Threet so he transferred to ASU and sat out a year. It was the first year in a totally new offense and Neal Mozzone the OC gave the job to Threet, who again, was higher rated, had experience, and an upper classman to Osweiler, who soon beat out the other upper classman for the job. Interestingly enough, Threet was first recruited by Gailey to play at Georgia Tech but left after spring practice and transferred to Michigan.

In Buddy I trust. If he decides one of these guys could be something special I'll believe it.

Dareus

Williams

Shephard

Hairston

Rodgers

Spiller

they all seem like quality starters at some point or another. And with Carrington, Troup, Batten, Easley, I believe they might possibly have more weapons in the future.

If he thinks someone can provide help i'm on board. Afterall, he is the GM of one of 32 football teams in the entire world. I assume he has a clue what he's doing.

Troup, Batten and Easly?? What have they shown us in 2 years with us? Dreaming a little bit here I think.

Actually....since we just offered that contract to Fitz this QB is perfect for us.....we can draft him in the middle rounds....and stash him away to work with your new QB coach......

Makes sense to me.

It would be nice John...But I suspect he's going to get over-Drafted somewhere in the 2nd Round...I would love to get him in the 4th though...We'll see... B-)

that may be what Lombardi was questioning when he commented on Osweiler not starting early in his College career...

Sometimes I think these talking heads just spew stuff out without doing much homework.

Osweiler saw action in six games as a true freshman--and became the first true freshman to start a game at ASU since Jake Plummer in 1993. He played in six games as a sophmore with a start against Arizona in the season finale. As a full time starter in his junior year, he became the first Sun Devil to throw for 4,000 yards and set five records for attemps and completions.

Is he raw? For sure. But he's got a lot of intangibles and world be an interesting pick in Round 4.

Edited by Lurker