Chan talking after the NFL meeting

bowery4

Real nice, thanks for sharing. I found it interesting when he asked the first question about Anderson and he said 'Wether it is home or another guy" conspiracy draft theory alert!!

Didn't mention Merriman (not sure how I feel about that, I really hope he has a great year) and I thought it was interesting what he said about Spiller and FJ touches and being on the field at the same time.

On what kind of player OT Demetrius Bell is:

“He’s got some talent. He’s got good feet. He’s still a young player. In football terms, he’s a young player, because he hasn’t played a lot of football. But he’s a good man, and he’s got talent.”

On whether the Bills are still looking to bring him back:

“Oh yeah. We’ve been talking to him all along. But I don’t know what they’re looking for right now.”

Glad to hear they're in contact.

That was the most interesting thing, that they are still trying to land Bell.

Might change the first round pick if he signs.

I see a time coming in the near future where depth is added in the draft and not holes being filled. I can''t wait for that to happen! What a welcome change - hope it lasts :beer:

Didn't mention Merriman (not sure how I feel about that, I really hope he has a great year) and I thought it was interesting what he said about Spiller and FJ touches and being on the field at the same time.

Probably didn't mention Merriman because they're not counting on him, and they shouldn't be. Anything he adds is gravy.

That was the most interesting thing, that they are still trying to land Bell.

Might change the first round pick if he signs.

I think it's reasonably safe to conclude Bell and his agent have overpriced themselves in this market; how many teams has he visited? They appear to be seeking the sort of contract nobody's offering.

I also think this means the chances of Buffalo re-signing him get better and better each day.

I think it's reasonably safe to conclude Bell and his agent have overpriced themselves in this market; how many teams has he visited? They appear to be seeking the sort of contract nobody's offering.

I also think this means the chances of Buffalo re-signing him get better and better each day.

I totally agree. I wonder if we are even thinking of sweetening the pot a bit, if we haven't already. Buddy said he thinks there are only 2 players how could start at LT right now and there are a few in the later rounds that will take a about a year to develop. It would help us out tremendously if we could get him back in for a year or 2. Toss in some incentives or something to sweeten the deal a bit to get it done.

I sure hope it doesn't change the first round pick (if it's a LT). I would love Bell plus Martin...

Nix said there were a few players available in the second and third rounds whom he felt were one year away from being able to start in the NFL and be solid LTs. To me, the perfect scenario is to draft Floyd, Blackmon or Hill #1 (whomever is the best available), then draft one of the LT guys he's talking about at #2, sign Bell to a one year deal and let him play. If he is great, we negotiate with him next year, franchise him or just let him go. And the guy we drafted should be ready, as well as Hairston having one more year to develop behind Bell and Pears. That would solve a lot of issues, IMO.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Shawn "Good Gamble" Merriman? He is ready to light it up! Merriman is secretly back to 2007 form and we are just keeping it quite. Other teams were fools to think that he wouldn't return to form! It is such a big secret that he hasn't done anything statistically relevant in 4 years.

Probably didn't mention Merriman because they're not counting on him, and they shouldn't be. Anything he adds is gravy.

Gravy indeed.....expensive gravy...but gravy. It's been pretty obvious that the only one that had any faith in Merriman was Buddy before the 2012 FA offseason. If Merriman was coming back you don't need Mark Anderson. At this point they know they can't count on him and we likely wasted $10+ million over the last 2 years. That being said we could have saved ourselves about $1 million in bonus money if we cut him last week or two.

Maybe that says something and maybe he can contribute in some sort of rotational role which keeps his fragile body healthy. I really hope we can get something out of him. I'm just incredibly skeptical.

Edited by PDaDdy

Nix said there were a few players available in the second and third rounds whom he felt were one year away from being able to start in the NFL and be solid LTs. To me, the perfect scenario is to draft Floyd, Blackmon or Hill #1 (whomever is the best available), then draft one of the LT guys he's talking about at #2, sign Bell to a one year deal and let him play. If he is great, we negotiate with him next year, franchise him or just let him go. And the guy we drafted should be ready, as well as Hairston having one more year to develop behind Bell and Pears. That would solve a lot of issues, IMO.

I like that plan in theory, but in reality I don't think Bell's agent would be doing his job if he lets his often injured client sign a 1 year deal with any team -- even the Bills. It's too much of a risk for his client to take.

If they can find a way to make it work though, I'd be a fan.

I like that plan in theory, but in reality I don't think Bell's agent would be doing his job if he lets his often injured client sign a 1 year deal with any team -- even the Bills. It's too much of a risk for his client to take.

If they can find a way to make it work though, I'd be a fan.

I wouldn't have suggested it had a good chance a few weeks ago. But since Bell is clearly not getting any good offers, it may be in his and his agent's best interest to do just that, and players do it sometimes. Laurent Robinson did it last year on the Cowboys. He signed for less money than he was offered to sign a one year deal for the Cowboys, then played well and parlayed that into the 32 million dollar deal he just signed.

It's a gamble. But Bell and his agent very likely think he is not injury prone, it was just bad luck, and Bell will play a full season and play very well. Teams like him but can't trust it. If he plays well for a whole year, suddenly next year he is 5 times the commodity that he is now. If he signs a longer deal and plays well, he's stuck at that crappy salary for a few years. If he signs a one year deal and plays well, he's in for a 5-10 mil a year contract next year.

I hope this is exactly what happens.

I wouldn't have suggested it had a good chance a few weeks ago. But since Bell is clearly not getting any good offers, it may be in his and his agent's best interest to do just that, and players do it sometimes. Laurent Robinson did it last year on the Cowboys. He signed for less money than he was offered to sign a one year deal for the Cowboys, then played well and parlayed that into the 32 million dollar deal he just signed.

It's a gamble. But Bell and his agent very likely think he is not injury prone, it was just bad luck, and Bell will play a full season and play very well. Teams like him but can't trust it. If he plays well for a whole year, suddenly next year he is 5 times the commodity that he is now. If he signs a longer deal and plays well, he's stuck at that crappy salary for a few years. If he signs a one year deal and plays well, he's in for a 5-10 mil a year contract next year.

Makes sense. I just would be very leery of this if I were representing Bell. But you're right if there's no market for him it would be the better alternative. I hope it works out like that.

After reading what Chan said, I thought about what Buddy said a few days back saying that they have made an offer before FA but haven't heard anything back. Nix says we will be fine with Hairston starting and then Gailey says he isn't ready...

I love how they both give out conflicting info...

That being said...just sign a FA LT for one year. At this point I don't care who it is...We can grab the top WR or CB at 10, draft the slight project LT and get on with things...

After reading what Chan said, I thought about what Buddy said a few days back saying that they have made an offer before FA but haven't heard anything back. Nix says we will be fine with Hairston starting and then Gailey says he isn't ready...

I love how they both give out conflicting info...

That being said...just sign a FA LT for one year. At this point I don't care who it is...We can grab the top WR or CB at 10, draft the slight project LT and get on with things...

My guess is they would rather have Hairston start LT even if Chan doesn't think he is 100% ready for the job than to pick up a FA. He was drafted last year and you need find out what you have in him before you get some aging vet.

He can just do a Jason Peters and whine, complain, threaten to hold out, etc if he signs a longer deal if he signs a crappy deal. NLFPA will do nothing to make players who sign and to not fulfill contract terms. To those Jason Peters apologists / balls tongue bathers he was under no duress to sign contract when he did - he did it because he wanted money immediately and later when he could get more money considered that fact he signed a contract inconsequential.