CJ or Fred? You can only keep one

CJ or Fred?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. If you could ONLY keep ONE runningback who would it be?

WOW CJ has yet tp prove himself as a reliable full time player and the majority want to keep him?? <_<

Did you see the last 6 games of the year on a team and offensive line decimated by injuries?!?!?! FJ is awesome but he is 31. CJ is about 24. It's a no brainer. CJ is the future. FJ only has so many good years left. Hopefully 2012 is one of them.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you kidding me??? Freddy "ALL DAY" He is the better runner, the better blocker, the better back on the goal line and an at least an equal in the passing game. His legs are fresh for 31 because he has not carried the ball that much. I would prefer someone who has proved his worth over someone who might one day be a very good player. Give me 3 or 4 more years of Freddy and then I would just find another guy because backs are a dime a dozen. So, if given the choice it's a no brainer, I'll take Freddy the 2012-13 pro bowler.

Just because Freddy has only been in the NFL for 6 years does not mean he wasnt playing football before that. His legs arent any fresher.. they have just as much mileage as every running back in the NFL who is 31.

Edited by Billsrhody

if i'm the GM of the Bills....i have to take into consideration my mediocre at best, offensive line. fred jackson is a league leader in YAC yards after contact.....spiller goes down on first contact. freddy is and will continue to be a better all around back than spiller for at least the next 3 seasons. having said that, i would probably call freddy my starter for this season 2012 and next 2013. then turn the job over to spiller for his last year of his rookie contract in 2014......otherwise, you will lose C.J. in free agency for 2015.

Pretend that you get to be GM of the Bills and a scenario allowed you to only keep one running back on your team as a starter. Your torn between Fred Jackson (who has been a proven player on this team for several seasons) or CJ Spiller (a RB who has shown great potential). There's pluses and minues to both players. Who do you keep and why?

for 2012 Freddy

for 2013---toughdecision

2014 and beyond CJ

What is it with people always trying to create controversy and polarizing every single situation. Both CJ and FJ are really good. One is young and the other is old. Right now BOTH need a lot of carries and catches. EACH of those guys should touch the ball 20 times a game somehow. Please spare me the run the 31 year old RB into the ground speech so he can go on IR again.

The more touches CJ gets the longer FJ can be a valuable member of this team. Relegating CJ to bench duty like the beginning of last year would do a disservice to CJ and this team. The THREE Js, FJ, SJ and CJ are the best play makers we have on offense. It would be idiotic to keep FJ or CJ on the bench in favor of the other.

Equal touches for each and more touches overall for our RBs.

Edited by PDaDdy

What is it with people always trying to create controversy and polarizing every single situation. Both CJ and FJ are really good. One is young and the other is old. Right now BOTH need a lot of carries and catches. EACH of those guys should touch the ball 20 times a game somehow. Please spare me the run the 31 year old RB into the ground speech so he can go on IR again.

The more touches CJ gets the longer FJ can be a valuable member of this team. Relegating CJ to bench duty like the beginning of last year would do a disservice to CJ and this team. The THREE Js, FJ, SJ and CJ are the best play makers we have on offense. It would be idiotic to keep FJ or CJ on the bench in favor of the other.

Equal touches for each and more touches overall for our RBs.

Thank you for writing this up, it's similar to what I would have written. While I think we'll see Fred have slightly more carries this year, I imagine it will equal out the next year then shift toward CJ in the following season(s).

Next two years? Fred easy. He does it all.

Long-term? CJ. Hopefully, we'll never have to make that decision until Fred retires.

I envision both of them getting their fair share as both bring unique attributes and I don't think CJ's size allows 100 percent of the carries. Besides, the NFL is now a two RB league.

Next two years? Fred easy. He does it all.

Long-term? CJ. Hopefully, we'll never have to make that decision until Fred retires.

I envision both of them getting their fair share as both bring unique attributes and I don't think CJ's size allows 100 percent of the carries. Besides, the NFL is now a two RB league.

You don't waste the first 4 years of a GOOD 1st round pick RB's career. Use em BOTH. Keep them BOTH healthy and fresh. They have a short lifespan as it is.

Edited by PDaDdy

Just because Freddy has only been in the NFL for 6 years does not mean he wasnt playing football before that. His legs arent any fresher.. they have just as much mileage as every running back in the NFL who is 31.

It's not the milage from running that wears guys down, it's taking NFL hits. plus, regardless of whether he was taking an NFL sized dose of punishment before, he's carried a relatively light load over the last 6 years which should preserve those legs a bit longer than most workhorse RBs.

Fred is the more complete back. Sure he's 30+ but he doesn't have much mileage.

Really? REALLY? So he never played football in pop warner, junior high, high school, college, NFL Europe and I also believe the arena league at one point? I don't mean to be mean but people need to stop with this and get a clue. I suppose we can just get your father to play RB for us because he doesn't have much mileage on him.

I love Fred, but man the argument that just irritates me is those ignoring his age. One, he played football just as long as any other 31 year old RB...just because not all of it was at the NFL level doesn't change the pounding he took carrying the ball before he got here. Two, he is 31 and is going to be coming off a broken leg, cant ignore that. Three, Spiller is more explosive than Fred has been at any point of Freds career, just a fact that can not be spun no matter how much some people try.

CJ showed that he is every bit as explosive as believed on draft day. The kid can run, is elusive, explosive, and can catch. Not to mention, his blitz pick up improved quite a bit from year one to year two. This kid is a threat for 1500 yards and 2000+ total yards as a full time starter getting the bulk of the touches. Thats not saying Fred isnt talented, but the bottom line is you dont get rid of a young stud in the making like CJ to keep an aging vet nearing the end of his career and coming off a broken leg (at an age that most RB's careers end).

This thread shows one of the biggest reasons why so many arguments persist on this board. This isnt about who you are a bigger fan of, its about who is the better the player to keep on your team moving forward. Lots of homer style comments in here defending Fred because they are big fans of Fred, and rightfully so. But, at the end of the day, this scenario of only being able to keep one is a very easy and clear football and business decision, its CJ and I would wager there isnt a GM in football that would keep Fred over CJ at this points in their careers.

Luckily we won't be having to see this scenario play out as both will be here. I will put this out here now though...Barring injury, CJ will lead this team in rushing this year. I expect the totals will be close and that both backs will get plenty of touches and both valuable to this team, but CJ will end the year with more touches, more yards, more total yards, and more receptions.

Wow dude, ok! The NFL is the only league that plays 16 games, including 4 pre-season games. He also did not receive the type of beating he has had thrown at him in the NFL when he played arena or NFL Europe. Besides that he has never really been the go to guy for an entire season in the NFL so his carries are very low. Last year even though he was the number one guy he didn't play a full season. So yes, his legs are much fresher than most starting NFL backs in the NFL. AND "NO" he doesn't have the same mileage! sorry bud, but good try...

Wow dude, ok! The NFL is the only league that plays 16 games, including 4 pre-season games. He also did not receive the type of beating he has had thrown at him in the NFL when he played arena or NFL Europe. Besides that he has never really been the go to guy for an entire season in the NFL so his carries are very low. Last year even though he was the number one guy he didn't play a full season. So yes, his legs are much fresher than most starting NFL backs in the NFL who are 31 years old. AND "NO" he doesn't have the same mileage! sorry bud, but good try...

I really like Spiller a lot and I would take Fred. He still has two plus good years left. I want to win now. In 2-3 years we can find his heir apparent.

I don't want to give up either, and you can't make me. :nana: But if I had to, and even though I think Spiller has a good chance to be a star, Fred does everything very good, and I don't see him slowing down soon.

FRED ALL DAY EVERY DAY. I did not see Spiller towards end of season as most of you did ... I read that he exploded and matured. That's good for us, however, I saw Fred at beginning of season and the dude was a stud ... near elite performance until he got hurt. I get that Spiller is younger and we paid a bunch of $$, but Freds performance stands on it's own ... head and shoulders above most if not all other RB's in league last season. I would trade Spiller, give Fred a nice 2 year extension. Good/Great RB's are easy to find in FA or Draft.