I don't understand all the LT being biggest need talk

Nix was on Sirius today and said that the Bills needed to come away from the draft with a "top tackle." But said that they've identified guys who can be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds who can start from day 1, that other teams don't think are worth selecting that high. Interesting.

Doc I heard the same interview, I think you may have misheard what Nix said. Here's what he said in a nutshell:

1- Bell was offered a contract prior to the start of FA. Still haven't heard anything from Bell or his agent and thinks they are probably looking for something else.

2- Said they have to come away with a "top" tackle. (This was a huge tell to me)

3- They think there is "2 to 3 tackles that can come into the league and start right away". (Would indicate a 1st round draft choice IMO)

4- They view some of the OL a little differently than the rest of the league, and think theres guys that can man the tackle position that people arent really aware of (A huge tell that they are very high on Cordy Glenn IMO. Glenn has often been talked baout as a G prospect, but I've seen plenty of chatter that he could stay at LT in the NFL).

I actually thought the interview with Nix on Sirius was so telling I thought about making a seperate post about it entirely.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doc I heard the same interview, I think you may have misheard what Nix said. Here's what he said in a nutshell:

1- Bell was offered a contract prior to the start of FA. Still haven't heard anything from Bell or his agent and thinks they are probably looking for something else.

2- Said they have to come away with a "top" tackle. (This was a huge tell to me)

3- They think there is "2 to 3 tackles that can come into the league and start right away". (Would indicate a 1st round draft choice IMO)

4- They view some of the OL a little differently than the rest of the league, and think theres guys that can man the tackle position that people arent really aware of (A huge tell that they are very high on Cordy Glenn IMO. Glenn has often been talked baout as a G prospect, but I've seen plenty of chatter that he could stay at LT in the NFL).

I actually thought the interview with Nix on Sirius was so telling I thought about making a seperate post about it entirely.

Cordy Glenn....interesting

-Nix/Chan have been known to telegraph their picks

-Nix/Chan have been known to like players out of the south

-They have been known to like 3-4 year starters (CG Ranks tied first all-time at UGA in career starts by an offensive lineman with 50 - 17 at LT)

-Was a monster at the combine

Is he worth the #10?

It's almost certainly true of every position (maybe less-so of QB) that most starters weren't 1st round picks.

If you accept that teams only have 1 1st round pick and that there are 22 starting positions, then it would

take 22 years to fill every position with a 1st round pick. The average NFL career is about 3.5 years, so that

isn't going to work...

I think that teams need to look for truly great prospects at #1 over needs, but if there are no great prospects

available, then need becomes the next factor to consider.

I see what you're saying. But my point still stands that you don't need a 1st round LT.

I didn't hear the interview; I got the gist from someone else. He made it sound like Nix said there are guy to be had in the 2nd and 3rd round who could start. I guess we'll find out come draft day and when the season starts.

I see what you're saying. But my point still stands that you don't need a 1st round LT.

I didn't hear the interview; I got the gist from someone else. He made it sound like Nix said there are guy to be had in the 2nd and 3rd round who could start. I guess we'll find out come draft day and when the season starts.

According to Chris Brown the 2nd and 3rd round guys he thinks could start after one year. That doesnt mean we won't skip LT in the first and take one of these guys in the 2nd or 3rd.

I guess that I don't disagree, you don't need a 1st round LT to succeed in the NFL. Nor, do I think you need a 1st round

<insert any position here>. The Pats don't have a 1st round WR, yet they have been consistently good for a long time. What they

have is a GREAT QB. The Saints had a 1st round WR, but he was not their star - the 7th round pick Colston was - but they have

a GREAT QB. I could be wrong, but the Packers don't have a 1st round WR, either.

I am not picking on WRs, only pointing out that your argument works for any position. I get that a great WR helps open up a lot

for an offense. I also agree with some here that a great OL does, too. Same as a great QB, RB or TE.

A football team is a system and as many strong parts that you can put in it, the better. No doubt, there are some positions that

are more important than others (in particular QB and DE/OLB that can rush the passer), but having a particularly weak link at

any position can compromise the system to some degree.

That does seem to point at Glenn.

He's an interesting prospect. Nolan Nawrocki at Pro Football Weekly seems to be pretty high on him. But that "motor runs hot and cold" line seems to fly in the face of what Nix likes.

My look at it also is this, Sure we have to look at long term and left tackle in the long run may be the best spot to go it's always great to have a franchise left tackle. However, we haven't made the playoffs in 12 years, we spent a lot of money on the dline mainly because like nix said he believes we are closer to making the playoffs now than we have been in years. If that is the case is drafting a LT over a possible game changing wide receiver going to make our offense and team better this season to get to the playoffs. I feel our team has gotten better and taken the next step by bringing in Mario and Mark and our defense may keep us in a lot of games. Our offense though without another solid WR outside of Stevie is going to be the same it was in the 2nd half of last season. Donald Jones doesn't scare anybody. There isn't a team in the league that would be worrying about doubling Stevie without a solid number 2 WR. I think WR changes the dynamic of our offense right away and gives us a better shot at getting to the playoffs than a LT would because all a LT does is block which obviously we need but a LT isn't going to change the game for you. A WR can. That is why i say that WR is the biggest need

My look at it also is this, Sure we have to look at long term and left tackle in the long run may be the best spot to go it's always great to have a franchise left tackle. However, we haven't made the playoffs in 12 years, we spent a lot of money on the dline mainly because like nix said he believes we are closer to making the playoffs now than we have been in years. If that is the case is drafting a LT over a possible game changing wide receiver going to make our offense and team better this season to get to the playoffs. I feel our team has gotten better and taken the next step by bringing in Mario and Mark and our defense may keep us in a lot of games. Our offense though without another solid WR outside of Stevie is going to be the same it was in the 2nd half of last season. Donald Jones doesn't scare anybody. There isn't a team in the league that would be worrying about doubling Stevie without a solid number 2 WR. I think WR changes the dynamic of our offense right away and gives us a better shot at getting to the playoffs than a LT would because all a LT does is block which obviously we need but a LT isn't going to change the game for you. A WR can. That is why i say that WR is the biggest need

Well, if you're going to say WR, I'll say a TE like Fleener would make a bigger impact given his size (6'6" 247#), speed (4.50), hands and route-running.

Our oline was the best it was in years last year. I'm not saying it was fantastic but it was solid. Whether it was Hairston, Bell or Levitre at left tackle they all played well as did the whole oline. We also have a track record with being able to develop late round LT picks as well as undrafted players at LT into being good to great players. Jason Peters was an undrafted tight end that we molded into one of the best tackles in the league and Demetrius Bell who was a 7th round pick, while not great was built up into a solid starter. I believe our coaching staff can do the same with Hairston as well. I believe that we should give Hairston at least one shot to be our starting left tackle this year if it doesn't work out then we can just either draft someone to fill the void next year or draft someone in the 2nd, 3rd or middle rounds that can come in and compete with him for the starting spot. The only sure fire guy at tackle in the draft this year is Kalil who won't be there when we draft at 10 and there are questions about both Reiff and Martin especially Martin who had a lousy pro day and could only lift 225 pounds on the bench press 20 times as well as questions about his stance and footwork. Therefore, with that being said i believe the bills have to place their focus on two other players. I believe WR is our biggest need by far. You cannot look at the other wide receivers on this roster and say that you would be comfortable with any one of them starting opposite Stevie. Thats why i think our main player we should be targeting if he is there is Michael Floyd. This guy is just to good to pass up even if Martin or Reiff are there. There are to many questions about the other receivers after the top 2 even though it is deep. Floyd is the one WR that can come in and contribute and be a difference maker day one at the receiver position. If Floyd is not there then i believe we should go with Dre Kirkpatrick at CB from Alabama. This guy is huge at 6'3, has very good speed, is great in coverage and is not afraid to hit and will again have more of an impact than any of the left tackles we could take there. If neither one of these players are there i believe they can trade down and grab a LT at that point.

I think that you are right in saying that the line did a good job but it was due mostly to the game plan with screens, running plays, and short to meadium passes. With bell not being signed at LT the OL is definitely the most important position to pick up in the draft. If the Bills decide to go with Floyd that is a need as well but i dont see them taking a WR there second need in the first round.

Martin has 34 inch arms length wise, so if Ohio State tackle can get a pass for 19 then 20-21, I think Martin should for 20.

And don't forget re: Bell's 9 reps at combine that was his 3rd year of football I believe? He was a guy that played B-ball for most of his life, so his transformation into now an average LT is in fact amazing.

I disagree with the OP, I think LT is a concern because it protects the QB's blind side .

I think the smart teams build up the trenches. The Bills to my surprise have beefed up the D-line with Super Mario AND Anderson. Now they have some depth there.

They would greatly benefit from getting a Starter from day one at LT.Those types of players you get in round one. You make your passing game better with a stud LT.

This would open up the playbook a bit more if Fitz had more time to throw. And say if we get one of the top 3 LT in the draft our already strong running game would just get even better.

A WR would make sense but WR is deep in this yrs draft and you can get one in round 2 or 3.

I still want an LB that can cover TE's. If I was Buddy I would take either the best LT or best LB on the board and worry about WR later.

A WR would make sense but WR is deep in this yrs draft and you can get one in round 2 or 3.
Not only that, but with upgraded protection for Fitz, guys like Donald Jones and David Nelson start looking like much better football players.

Interesting article from a few years ago about drafting OL in the first round:

Consider:

"Over the past 15 years, offensive linemen drafted in the top 15 have started 90 percent of their games. The next-closest position group is linebackers … at 70.8 percent."

That is very interesting. and very helpful. Thank You.

Maybe its because you can project an OL easier? By that i mean, you can see if he has good foot work, can get out of his stance quickly. This should be easy to see on tape. You can also easily see his strength from combine and tape.

And seeing how OL play in a much smaller area on the field, it is easier to pick up on all their tendencies?

Personally i would love the Glenn Pick. His measurables, and fact he played at a top notch SEC school are very important. He played against some of the best pass rushers and Dlinemen in the country. This can not be underestimated. If Buddy and the scouts pour over the film and like what they see, i would have no problem with them taking him. He also fits the 'you can always move him down to gaurd if LT does not work' philosophy.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Not only that, but with upgraded protection for Fitz, guys like Donald Jones and David Nelson start looking like much better football players.

Donald Jones won't look like a better player. He's garbage. He should be fighting for the #5 spot with Roosevelt, not sniffing #2 like last season.

Donald Jones won't look like a better player. He's garbage. He should be fighting for the #5 spot with Roosevelt, not sniffing #2 like last season.

If Easley can manage to stay healthy, and that's a big "if," Jones will be doing exactly that.

Our oline was the best it was in years last year. I'm not saying it was fantastic but it was solid. Whether it was Hairston, Bell or Levitre at left tackle they all played well as did the whole oline. We also have a track record with being able to develop late round LT picks as well as undrafted players at LT into being good to great players. Jason Peters was an undrafted tight end that we molded into one of the best tackles in the league and Demetrius Bell who was a 7th round pick, while not great was built up into a solid starter. I believe our coaching staff can do the same with Hairston as well. I believe that we should give Hairston at least one shot to be our starting left tackle this year if it doesn't work out then we can just either draft someone to fill the void next year or draft someone in the 2nd, 3rd or middle rounds that can come in and compete with him for the starting spot. The only sure fire guy at tackle in the draft this year is Kalil who won't be there when we draft at 10 and there are questions about both Reiff and Martin especially Martin who had a lousy pro day and could only lift 225 pounds on the bench press 20 times as well as questions about his stance and footwork. Therefore, with that being said i believe the bills have to place their focus on two other players. I believe WR is our biggest need by far. You cannot look at the other wide receivers on this roster and say that you would be comfortable with any one of them starting opposite Stevie. Thats why i think our main player we should be targeting if he is there is Michael Floyd. This guy is just to good to pass up even if Martin or Reiff are there. There are to many questions about the other receivers after the top 2 even though it is deep. Floyd is the one WR that can come in and contribute and be a difference maker day one at the receiver position. If Floyd is not there then i believe we should go with Dre Kirkpatrick at CB from Alabama. This guy is huge at 6'3, has very good speed, is great in coverage and is not afraid to hit and will again have more of an impact than any of the left tackles we could take there. If neither one of these players are there i believe they can trade down and grab a LT at that point.

I never made it past the statement about Martins lousy pro day ! WE HAVE ONE LT ON THE TEAM THE OTHER YOU MENTIONED IS OUR LG - SO WERE SUPPOSE TO GO THROUGH THE ENTIRE SEASON WITH ONE LT THAT IS IN HIS SECOND YEAR IN THE LEAGUE ??

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING ?????? :wallbash::blink:

Interesting article from a few years ago about drafting OL in the first round:

Consider:

"Over the past 15 years, offensive linemen drafted in the top 15 have started 90 percent of their games. The next-closest position group is linebackers … at 70.8 percent."

I have a few responses to the article.

First of all it was written nearly two years ago (4/2010) and he didn't include an evaluation of the 2009 draftees.

Secondly the article addresses the top half of the first round, not all first rounders. And knowing this board, some people are going to misremember the article and think that it was about first round tackles.

It's not.

Thirdly the article addresses again the reason why guards are seldom drafted in the top 15.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan