Why not Riley Rieff at Left Tackle

BB-Gun

Before the combines, Riley Rieff and Johnathon Martin were ranked 2 &3, and considered possible top 15 picks.

Since, Riley Rieff is being talked about as a Right tackle because his arm length is 33 1/4. That is considered by so-called experts as being too short to play left takle.

If you look check the arm length of starting LT's, you will see some as short, if not shorter that Rieff's arms.

Interesting take on arm length

Jason Peters, a pro-bowler, has 33 1/8" arms.

I don't know if he'll be even a decent left takle, or a right tackle. I hope the Bills do not rule him because of his arm length.

Thoughts ???

He's this year's Bryan Bulaga. He's just more suited for RT from what I've seen. Not because of his arms so much as his agility. Doesn't have the "dancer's feet" you want in an LT.

GO BILLS!!!

Mike Mayock absolutely loves Rieff...But even Mayock questions whether or not he'll be an NFL LT, especially as a Rookie...And to me at least, if you have doubts whether or not an OT can play LT, you don't take him at #10 Overall...For the record Mayock believes Rieff should go somewhere around #20 overall... B-)

Before the combines, Riley Rieff and Johnathon Martin were ranked 2 &3, and considered possible top 15 picks.

Since, Riley Rieff is being talked about as a Right tackle because his arm length is 33 1/4. That is considered by so-called experts as being too short to play left takle.

If you look check the arm length of starting LT's, you will see some as short, if not shorter that Rieff's arms.

Interesting take on arm length

Jason Peters, a pro-bowler, has 33 1/8" arms.

I don't know if he'll be even a decent left takle, or a right tackle. I hope the Bills do not rule him because of his arm length.

Thoughts ???

He only put up 225 like 20 times at the combine too...he may be a good player he,s just not the stud your looking for at #10

You want to know why he's not suited to the grind of playing against fast edge rushers? Watch his combine workout and look at the difference between his body type and fluidity compared to Kalil. Kalil is a plug and play starter at LT. Reiff is a tough guy who plays with good leverage, but is much more suited to playing RT, a' la Bulaga. LTs need to have quicker feet than he does.

You want to know why he's not suited to the grind of playing against fast edge rushers? Watch his combine workout and look at the difference between his body type and fluidity compared to Kalil. Kalil is a plug and play starter at LT. Reiff is a tough guy who plays with good leverage, but is much more suited to playing RT, a' la Bulaga. LTs need to have quicker feet than he does.

Kalil is the only one capable of starting this year imo...

Martin has the feet, but he needs some serious weight training...Still not worth #10...

It's a sad class

Because he's a RIGHT TACKLE. Capitalization is important because no one seems to understand this. College Left Tackles can be moved to Right Tackle or Guard in the pro's if it doesn't work out for them at Left. But seldom, if ever, does someone play Right Tackle in college and make the leap to Left Tackle in the pros.

Oh, and by the way, he's looked like a pretty average RIGHT TACKLE in all his workouts.

I dunno if he can or cant, but there are a lot of write ups out there that say he has good feet and could play either tackle. He has average length arms. Not short. And he's 6'6. Doesn't matter. I hope they take Kuechly if he is there. They STILL need LBs.

Mike Mayock absolutely loves Rieff...But even Mayock questions whether or not he'll be an NFL LT, especially as a Rookie...And to me at least, if you have doubts whether or not an OT can play LT, you don't take him at #10 Overall...For the record Mayock believes Rieff should go somewhere around #20 overall... B-)

Completely agree. Mayock loves Rieff's toughness but said he's a + or - 20 and Martin should be in the 20 to 30 range. If you look at Martin; he has thin arms and the experts say he is not a strong run blocker and may never be a strong run blocker. Mayock, based on football ability, would select DeCastro before Rieff or Martin.

Chris Brown pointed out, yesterday, that Buddy has never selected an offensive lineman in the first round even when he was at San Diego. Looks like the 10th. selection will not be an offensive lineman. Receiver or linebacker? The NFL Network is doing a state of the Bills Monday and some are whispering Kuechly, Kuechly, Kuechly.

My link

Cordy Glenn is growing on me more and more...guy is very versatile and I think can be a very good LT (only had one season, his last there and got better every game) also no injury history!

Do you remember a guy named Mike Williams?

Yuck Cordy Glenn

Do you remember a guy named Mike Williams?

Yuck Cordy Glenn

+1

I don't want a T in the 1st because of the scar I still have from Williams. Though I suppose if I held to that logic I wouldn't want us to draft any position we drafted in the 1st before Chix.

Depending on whats available during drafting at 10, the Bills should take a look at Decastro and Reiff (for RG and RT) to provide more talent for the offensive line. These moves would certianly bring in more depth this line clearly needs. Unfortunaltey, as members have written, Kahlil is the safest OLT to draft in the first round and most likely will not there at 10.

Edited by RocBillsfan