Must read books

bladiebla

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last book I read was Ready Player One. Man was that a good book.

My stock answer for the past dozen years is A Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones to you TV types) by George R. R. Martin. I haven't read anything nearly as epic or as gripping as this series. By far my favorite books of all time.

I usually take an opportunity like this to recommend "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis. This book changed my life. With all the "rah-rah" and "holier than thou" morons out there, it's a refreshing change to sink your teeth into a cerebral and intellectual approach to Christianity. Additionally, my favorite book of all time is Lewis' "A Grief Observed". It's basically a first person account of his grieving process when the woman he loved so passionately passes away. It's not very long, but you find yourself reading it pretty slowly because you need to sort of take it all in. He is able to articulate himself so well that you end up getting amazingly deep into his experience. It really moved me, and although it is quite intense and draining at times, it's very much worth it to take this journey with him.

I usually take an opportunity like this to recommend "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis. This book changed my life. With all the "rah-rah" and "holier than thou" morons out there, it's a refreshing change to sink your teeth into a cerebral and intellectual approach to Christianity. Additionally, my favorite book of all time is Lewis' "A Grief Observed". It's basically a first person account of his grieving process when the woman he loved so passionately passes away. It's not very long, but you find yourself reading it pretty slowly because you need to sort of take it all in. He is able to articulate himself so well that you end up getting amazingly deep into his experience. It really moved me, and although it is quite intense and draining at times, it's very much worth it to take this journey with him.

If you want to read good Christian apologetics (i.e. not Lewis), read some of Plantinga's books, such as this one and this one.

Figured I'd start a thread where people can share books they recently read and loved/recommened.

Personally I just read The Hunger Games triology, 3 days, 1 book a night, man this must have been one of the best suspense sci-fi\thrillers I've read. Great deep moral, love, betrayal and politics aside from it being a great suspense and action series, addictively gripping.

Definitely worth reading! 9/10.

Ps. also a major movie in theaters around the world (released today), IMDB ratings of the movie show that you either love or hate the movie (havent seen the movie myself), having read some of the spoilers of the movie, I'd recommend reading the books first since a lot of what makes the story great has been left out of the movie in order to make it PG13 compliant (books are R rated).

Clearly you need to read more sci-fi/suspense thrillers. Or just ONE sci-fi/suspense thriller. I actually really hated the Hunger Games.

If you want to read good Christian apologetics (i.e. not Lewis), read some of Plantinga's books, such as this one and this one.

Are you tellin' me C.S. Lewis can't hit a curve ball?

Considering this is originally a football board, these are three must-read sports related books:

A Fan's Notes by Frederick Exley

The Sportswriter by Richard Ford

North Dallas Forty by Pete Gent

All three are actually works of literature and not just sports books, especially the first two, which are tremendous reads.

Clearly you need to read more sci-fi/suspense thrillers. Or just ONE sci-fi/suspense thriller. I actually really hated the Hunger Games.

And you really loved....? Open to suggestions here...