Must read books

bladiebla

Figured I'd start a thread where people can share books they recently read and loved/recommened.

Personally I just read The Hunger Games triology, 3 days, 1 book a night, man this must have been one of the best suspense sci-fi\thrillers I've read. Basicly the story revolves around a 16 year old girl who lives in a post apocalyptic world where there is one capital that rules 12 provinces/districts. As a condition of a truce after a revolt each district is to send 2 children between the age of 12 to 18 to the capital to fight in a yearly live televised event where those contestents will have to fight to the death untill one of them survives. Aside from the books being filled with action and suspense they shine in relaying the struggles of a 16 year old. Great deep moral, love, betrayal and politics aside from it being a great suspense and action series, addictively gripping.

Definitely worth reading! 9/10.

Ps. also a major movie in theaters around the world (released today), IMDB ratings of the movie show that you either love or hate the movie (havent seen the movie myself), having read some of the spoilers of the movie, I'd recommend reading the books first since a lot of what makes the story great has been left out of the movie in order to make it PG13 compliant (books are R rated).

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly don't have anything modern for you all, but I've been on this kick lately of re-reading classics that I didn't appreciate in high school. For example, I'm halfway through Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451" and I'll follow that up with Huxley's "Brave New World" and Orwell's "Animal Farm."

/Sorry. That's all I got.

What's a book?

Books used to be on shelves in those now empty buildings called libraries. You can download them using a PC, Kindle or Nook, but they do not have many pictures, so you have to read them **boring****

Actually, if you want great SF classics try Stranger in a Strange Land or The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A Heinlein

If you want to go really retro, try Jules Verne.

ABC News all this week has had Hunger Games on just about every newscast, meanwhile John Carter, a Disney movie, and Disney owns ABC, is being called one of the biggest flops ever.

Ahhhhhh, I'm European hence I dont get ABC News... I dont know about the movie as I said in my post, i watched the trailer on youtube and looked it up on IMDB after having read the books but can't judge based on the user reviews wether or not it's a good movie or not, just that it has some critical content missing from the story and that a whole section has been filmed in the blair witch project style. I looked up John Carter and all I could find was this 1911 book with comics that ceased in the 40's. Hence you had me seriously confused with that comment lol.

I certainly don't have anything modern for you all, but I've been on this kick lately of re-reading classics that I didn't appreciate in high school. For example, I'm halfway through Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451" and I'll follow that up with Huxley's "Brave New World" and Orwell's "Animal Farm."

/Sorry. That's all I got.

No worries, appreciate the input. Can't say I'm a big fan of sci-fi dating back that far as I struggle for finding it to contextual to the timeframe it was written in. I tried reading Orwell a couple of times but never managed to finish one. It's also the more rigid use of the english language that makes me struggle with them. Maybe I'm just more into the modern consumption style english written books.

Books used to be on shelves in those now empty buildings called libraries. You can download them using a PC, Kindle or Nook, but they do not have many pictures, so you have to read them **boring****

Actually, if you want great SF classics try Stranger in a Strange Land or The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A Heinlein

If you want to go really retro, try Jules Verne.

Heh, makes me think of Iron Maiden... :D Read most of Jules Verne his work (in Dutch translation) back when I wsa a kid, loved them back then, not sure if I'd still enjoy them. On the topic of sci-fi books, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imajica Imajica by Clive Barker was also a great read.

Interesting. I'm reading one of his short story collections now. I haven't read any of his novels yet, but I'm curious.

Speaking of short stories, Joyce's collection, Dubliners, contains a few of my favorite short stories.