NFL rules committee to look at replay and IR

Beerball

The replay proposal is being looked at based on a proposal from the Bills.

They will also consider allowing players hurt in preseason or early in the year to return from IR.

link

Glad they're looking to change the IR rule as well as extending the trade deadline. Both of those as currently constituted are a joke.

I'm not too sure about the booth official overruling decisions cuz at the end of the day, he/she is also a human being and can make mistakes. What makes the booth official any better than the referee on the field?

The guy in the booth can make a call about 3x faster cuz he doesn't have to waste everybody's time (especially mine)walking over to talk to coaches, listen to players lobby, make announcements to the fans, walk to the camera and back, etc. This would be a long overdue change as I know the NFL is losing viewers because of the outright stupidity of the current system. Every single time somebody calls for a review I either change the channel or leave the room. If it's not a Bills game, I might find something else to do and not bother to come back to it for a long time, if it all. And I cannot be the only one who wants to watch football but won't waste time staring at people talking about officiating decisions. It's one of the things diminishing my enjoyment and interest in watching a ballgame and I imagine I'm not alone.

The guy in the booth can make a call about 3x faster cuz he doesn't have to waste everybody's time (especially mine)walking over to talk to coaches, listen to players lobby, make announcements to the fans, walk to the camera and back, etc. This would be a long overdue change as I know the NFL is losing viewers because of the outright stupidity of the current system. Every single time somebody calls for a review I either change the channel or leave the room. If it's not a Bills game, I might find something else to do and not bother to come back to it for a long time, if it all. And I cannot be the only one who wants to watch football but won't waste time staring at people talking about officiating decisions. It's one of the things diminishing my enjoyment and interest in watching a ballgame and I imagine I'm not alone.

Unless it's a real tight call (ie interesting replay) in a game I'm invested in I tend to either channel surf or leave the tv too. With this you save time and still get the replay.

If the official up top is not affiliated with the crew you might see more calls overturned too(in theory)

TRUE TRUE TRUE. Very good point. That hadn't crossed my mind. OK. My vote is for booth official to rule out referees decision.

I agree with this. It's interesting that when watching on TV we can tell instantly that the play needs to be overturned. I'm guessing the league likes the extra TV timeouts but the replay official should be able to call down to the field and either halt play to watch a replay or change the call. I think it would also stop teams from snapping the ball quickly to prevent a review. The goal should be to get every call right.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/03/22/bills-submit-rule-change-proposal/

I agree with this. It's interesting that when watching on TV we can tell instantly that the play needs to be overturned. I'm guessing the league likes the extra TV timeouts but the replay official should be able to call down to the field and either halt play to watch a replay or change the call. I think it would also stop teams from snapping the ball quickly to prevent a review. The goal should be to get every call right.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/03/22/bills-submit-rule-change-proposal/

I totally agree but I would use the word "exasperated" rather than "interesting". This is a multi billion dollar industry (I'd ask myself) so why can't they figure this out? Dozens of times every year I can within seconds tell if a play needs reviewed but the refs/coaches don't know? All each needed was one idiot (like myself) sitting and watching the game with a beer in his hand to make the "quick decision" simply by watching REGULAR TV coverage.

Here's hoping the league wakes up and smells the coffee on this one.

-RnJ

They seriously need to stop trying to change the rules every season. Seems way too premature. Why can't there be a 10 year moratorium on altering the game rules and keep it to every 10 years.

Good point. It’s comical the point to which the NFL is the signature American sport. It’s bureaucratic, litigious, highly specialized, convoluted and controversial, not to mention sensationalistic, violent and egotisical.

It’s the only sport where the referee has to address the crowd with a detailed explanation of what just happened and how they’re going to deal with it.

It’s funny to me that they scrutinize the rules every year and constantly make changes. I agree it's ridiculous, but I think it’s always going to be that way.

The Steelers, who proposed the overtime alteration, also suggested making a horse collar tackle on a quarterback inside the pocket a 15-yard penalty. That is the only situation where such a tackle is not penalized.

Anyone else find it strange that somehow it's in the rule book that in this one particular situation it's okay to hore collar (more likely it's omitted, but it's still strange)?

The NFL needs to modernize. Why can't the head referee just tweet his ruling via his iPhone and anyone who's interested can just get the info that way?

"Hold a sec. Y? Could b 15 yrder or kick #98 outta game... j/k" :doh:

I totally agree but I would use the word "exasperated" rather than "interesting". This is a multi billion dollar industry (I'd ask myself) so why can't they figure this out? Dozens of times every year I can within seconds tell if a play needs reviewed but the refs/coaches don't know? All each needed was one idiot (like myself) sitting and watching the game with a beer in his hand to make the "quick decision" simply by watching REGULAR TV coverage.

-RnJ

Remember Banking is a Trillion dollar industry and they can't get things straight. The idea has nerit but all of the "yeah buts" and "what ifs" need to be vetted

We definitely agree on this one. The NFL needs to get caught up with technology. Everyone at home and the game commentators basically already know whether a call will be overturned or not from the replays the network provides. The guy on the field talking it over with his buddies and players then running under his little cowl like an old time movie takes more time than it needs to. Booth review with instant access to the video and potentially network feeds can do it MUCH faster.

-RnJ

I would take the job.

There is this new thing called an internal combustion engine too. B-) (Totally agreed.)