David DeCastro

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe a guard has ever ben picked as high as #10 in the history of the draft. Nice player, but poor value for a premium pick...

John Hanna was the 4th overall pick in the 1973 NFL draft by the N.E. Patriots. He was a 10 time all pro and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1991.

The injuries to Bell and Wood have historically been completely different.

Wood had a guy fall into his leg and break a bone. Bell on the other hand, jams a finger and goes out for the season.

I'm sure the Bills have an eye on Wood's status, but I wouldnt consider him as often injured.

Doesn't matter how you get them if you're out of the lineup. And Wood's been out a ton. There's also the affect those injuries might have on his abilities going forward.

John Hanna was the 4th overall pick in the 1973 NFL draft by the N.E. Patriots. He was a 10 time all pro and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1991.

Hannah played tackle at Alabama and was moved inside to guard...

If you have to go back ~40 years it kind of argues against your point. Today's game is vastly different than the power running game of the 70's. Guard simply isn't considered an impact or premium position.

Best Player Available means Best Player Available except for a few positions we ain't gonna touch.

In this case, they ain't gonna touch a RB and now DE and probably not a C or OG or DT.

So; Buddy's doing to select the best player available who's not really the best player available? I really love some of you guys.

Do you recall the problems Buffalo had last year when Wood was injured? This was Wood's second major injury. Is he injury prone? Don't you like the idea of DeCastro at RG with Urbik as a backup? If Wood gets injured again, Urbik moves to center and Buffalo doesn't miss a beat. There's real "value" in picking DeCastro in my opinion.

If you have to go back ~40 years it kind of argues against your point. Today's game is vastly different than the power running game of the 70's. Guard simply isn't considered an impact or premium position.

No. It just shows you're wrong about selecting guards in the top ten.

So; Buddy's doing to select the best player available who's not really the best player available? I really love some of you guys.

Do you really think there is a chance in hell that the Bills draft Trent Richardson in the first round this year if they have him the Best Player Available, or if they have Ingram or Coples as the Best Player Available? Not a chance.

I don't know...I kind of fall into the "Andy Levitre did a bang up job at LT" camp. Not to say that no one can do better, but barring us somehow taking Kalil I don't anyone to immediately draft to be an impact.

Of course, if Buddy fills this in FA I may begin to suspect he can walk on water.

Do you really think there is a chance in hell that the Bills draft Trent Richardson in the first round this year if they have him the Best Player Available, or if they have Ingram or Coples as the Best Player Available? Not a chance.

Richardson would be a tough one...I hate to say it...

Buddy has already said he'd rather draft TACKLES because they can move to guard more easily than guards transitioning to tackle.

Every team does this as a fall back option when the player doesn't have the footwork or agility to handle speedier types off the edge. It's nothing new by any means.

Do you recall the problems Buffalo had last year when Wood was injured? This was Wood's second major injury. Is he injury prone? Don't you like the idea of DeCastro at RG with Urbik as a backup? If Wood gets injured again, Urbik moves to center and Buffalo doesn't miss a beat. There's real "value" in picking DeCastro in my opinion.

Where's the value in getting the best guard in the draft? The premier NFL positions are QB, DE, OT, WR, and CB though not necessarily in that order. The G position ranks low, and you've seen that decent ones can be found without spending a top 10 pick. This BPA theory has been b***ardized to no end and it's time to end it. The Bills will go BPA at a position of need and not purely BPA. This is not a black and white theory, but something more nuanced.

Every team does this as a fall back option when the player doesn't have the footwork or agility to handle speedier types off the edge. It's nothing new by any means.

Where's the value in getting the best guard in the draft? The premier NFL positions are QB, DE, OT, WR, and CB though not necessarily in that order. The G position ranks low, and you've seen that decent ones can be found without spending a top 10 pick. This BPA theory has been b***ardized to no end and it's time to end it. The Bills will go BPA at a position of need and not purely BPA. This is not a black and white theory, but something more nuanced.

To me, neither of the two terms are really accurate. IMO, "Best Player Available" actually means "BPA except a few we are stacked at" -- and "Best Player Available at Position of Need" means "BPA at the 1-3 positions we are SORELY lacking at, not all positions of need."