Is M. Floyd better than Alshon Jeffery......

Hey fellow Bills fans! I am super excited at the moves we have made for our defense. I think it's safe to say that we will focus much of our draft on offense now. It seems that in regards to our #2 WR, the main options that have been put out there are either have us taking M. Floyd with the 10th pick or us taking Alshon Jeffery with the 42nd pick. Now I will be first to admit, going back when ND had both Floyd and G. Tate, I was wondering why everyone was all over Tate when I saw Floyd as the stud. However, I have watched highlight videos of both Floyd and Jeffery and I can't say that I see much difference in their talent level. In fact, I dare to say that Alshon looked to be more dominant vs the competition. I know both had off field issues and some say that Jeffery had motivation issues. My question is which WR do you think is better? Why? And when would you draft them?

FWIW, I think that unless Buffalo resigns Bell, we will go OT in the 1st, unless a top 5 prospect drops.

1. Michael Floyd - WR Notre Dame

2. Stephon Gilmore - CB South Carolina

3. Best LT or LB Available

or

1. Jonathan Martin - LT Stanford

2. Alshon Jeffery - WR South Carolina

3. Best LB or CB available

You get an extra-added bonus with Floyd.

In addition to being a beast WR, Michael Floyd is one of the best downfield blocking WR's I've seen in a long time.

I think it's a huge asset to the running game to have a receiver that is that willing, and that good at blocking on running plays.

As much as I want Floyd, if the Bills don't re-sign Bell, I think they will go LT in the 1st.

I won't pretend to be an expert on Jeffrey, though I've seen him play. Floyd is an EXCELLENT blocker and has great hands. He's also an automatic 6 if you throw him a fade route in the red zone. He's a beast.

I disagree vehemently with the above poster's assertion that Jeffrey has a ton more talent.

Edited by ndirish1978

I won't pretend to be an expert on Jeffrey, though I've seen him play. Floyd is an EXCELLENT blocker and has great hands. He's also an automatic 6 if you throw him a fade route in the red zone. He's a beast.

As you must know, Floyd has had a couple (more?) of serious alcohol related issues. A story from a year ago today...

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/21/star-irish-wr-michael-floyd-arrested-for-dui/

"WNDU-TV in South Bend is reporting that Floyd was arrested early Sunday morning for driving under the influence. "

"This is Floyd’s second alcohol-related arrest in a little over a year; in January of 2010, Floyd was arrested for underage consumption of alcohol after admitting to police that he had done “a couple shots” earlier in the night. He was found with blood on his hands, feet, and shirt."

This is before the "big time" NFL money has kicked in. I know that he says he's going to stay on the straight and narrow from now on, but that is really hard to believe given his party boy past. The NFL fame and money would seem to only heighten the desire to get wild and crazy. I think the Bills will steer clear of Floyd given this history. That doesn't mean he won't be a great player and citizen, but that #10 overall pick is much too valuable to use on such a risky personality.

As you must know, Floyd has had a couple (more?) of serious alcohol related issues. A story from a year ago today...

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/21/star-irish-wr-michael-floyd-arrested-for-dui/

"WNDU-TV in South Bend is reporting that Floyd was arrested early Sunday morning for driving under the influence. "

"This is Floyd’s second alcohol-related arrest in a little over a year; in January of 2010, Floyd was arrested for underage consumption of alcohol after admitting to police that he had done “a couple shots” earlier in the night. He was found with blood on his hands, feet, and shirt."

This is before the "big time" NFL money has kicked in. I know that he says he's going to stay on the straight and narrow from now on, but that is really hard to believe given his party boy past. The NFL fame and money would seem to only heighten the desire to get wild and crazy. I think the Bills will steer clear of Floyd given this history. That doesn't mean he won't be a great player and citizen, but that #10 overall pick is much too valuable to use on such a risky personality.

A college student was drinking underage? I'm schocked.

A college student was drinking underage? I'm schocked.

It obviously was more than just drinking, and it was more than just one incident. Hey, don't shoot the messenger. He's obviously very talented, it's the off the field stuff that would scare me away from picking him at #10.

Does anyone know where the blood came from? Was it his or someone else's?

Floyd is bigger and faster and is much better running after the catch. Jeffery tend to get sloppy and out of shape and has trouble separating. Floyd had problems with alcohol abuse but he checked into the freshmen's dorm as a senior. Apparently the freshmen's dorm is restrictive regarding when students are expected to be in their rooms. He did this voluntarily in a sincere effort to get his life back in order. He should be given great credit for this in my opinion and I am not concerned about character issues with Floyd in the future.

I think Floyd is better by a pretty good margin. Faster, more explosive, runs better routes, is tough to bring down. I think Jeffery is a 2nd rd pick and Floyd a top 10 talent. I'd love it of we landed Floyd and Gilmore. Both are going to be very solid in the nfl IMO.

alshon is better, a ton more talent and hes a bit bigger

He's 1/4 inch taller and 4lbs less weight...Alshon also gives up on a lot of plays and is not a very good route runner. If we're going to wait until the 2nd round for a WR we should hope Stephen Hill is there.

He's 1/4 inch taller and 4lbs less weight...Alshon also gives up on a lot of plays and is not a very good route runner. If we're going to wait until the 2nd round for a WR we should hope Stephen Hill is there.

his hands are also bigger.

best case for floyd is vincent jackson

alshon is terrell owens with hands

i think floyd with be good but alshon will be better and have a longer career

I can see that Floyd is obviously talented and has had a lot of production, but somehow I am just not

really digging him that early. Some of it is the 3 alcohol problems he's had, including nearly being

suspended for his last college season. Some of it is that it is hard for me to project him as a major

star in the NFL.

I know that I recently posted that there is a bust-risk for every position coming out of college, but

WRs especially scare me. They were Matt Millen's down-fall in Detroit when he went 1 for 3 on high

1st round picks at WR in 4 years. Yes, he hit on Calvin Johnson and he is a MAJOR weapon in the NFL,

but his other 2 WR picks were total and complete busts.

Part of this may just be my inherent dislike of ND, which is shame on me, but I'd rather see the Bills

go elsewhere than drafting Floyd high in round 1.

there's quite a difference between the two players. they both have very high upside. however, floyd is about 100x more likely to reach that potential.

if you consider getting caught partying in college a weakness, and some might, it's really his only weakness. his game reminds me of hakeem nicks.

there's quite a difference between the two players. they both have very high upside. however, floyd is about 100x more likely to reach that potential.

if you consider getting caught partying in college a weakness, and some might, it's really his only weakness. his game reminds me of hakeem nicks.

Partying in college, when under control, is not a big black-mark. But, to be in trouble 3x when you are a big-man-on-campus-above-the-law star

on the football team is a BIG problem.

http://collegefootba...rested-for-dui/

"This is Floyd's second alcohol-related arrest in a little over a year; in January of 2010, Floyd was arrested for underage consumption of alcohol after admitting to police that he had done "a couple shots" earlier in the night. He was found with blood on his hands, feet, and shirt."

Wait, a college kid who drinks and makes bad decisions? He's a horrible human being. I'm glad guys like Bruce Smith and Jim Kelly were tea teetotalers during their careers. :lol:

If Stephen Hill is not there then he is the reason the combine exists.

Sorry but if you take him in round one, you are silly. Not saying he won't turn out to be a solid pro, but he has horrible stats...and i live in Atlanta and know why. He plays in a run 80% of the time offense.

having said that for you guy sthat want a reciever that can block, he is your man. Thats what he did for almost all of his time on the field.