Trayvon Martin Case

fjl2nd

Was he a racist when he provided free tutoring to black youth in Sanford? Was he a racist when he twice voted for Barack Obama? Precisely when did he become a racist???

The second he followed/harrassed a black kid because he was......black.

Bingo. They'll be no response to that from the heartbroken Trayvonites. Apparently they think the act of following someone entitles the person being followed to committ felony assault without any fear or risk of repercussion.

You keep hearing whining about Martin not being allowed to 'stand HIS ground'. So if you want to play that game than fine --- Martin exercised his right and DID stand his ground. And then Zimmerman exercised his right and stood his ground back.

The only thing more embarrasing than the fact this case was prosecuted at all is watching certain people grasping at straws in an attempt to discredit or ignore the court's decision.

What is this, the wild west?! You're saying a dangerous thing here. What you're saying is murdering someone is completely fine as long as you're already fighting with fists and the fight isn't going your way.

Edited by fjl2nd

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is the !@#$ing problem with this law in Florida (and wherever else it stands): you can basically start a fight with anyone, start losing the fight and then kill the other participant, claim self-defense and get away with murder.

Because again, there is no proof Trayvon started any kind of fight no matter how much you guys scream he did.

Strawman.

What folks here have said is that there is no evidence, and that the state must meet the burden of proof, beyond a reasonable doubt.

Lacking evidence, you cannot convict.

That's the most basic and pure guiding principle of a free country. The state cannot incarcerate you without an abundance of evidence of the commission of a crime as verified by a jury of your peers, and you are innocent of all charges against you unless and until the state can prove you guilty.

Felt like manslaughter to me. Seemed to meet the requirements in my eyes.

And this is why we think our way through complex problems rather than feel our way through them.

The second he followed/harrassed a black kid because he was......black.

You are a sad sad person.

What evidence that he followed him because he was black?

Edited by meazza

George Zimmerman is a racist. Period. Read the link I provided above, maybe you'll learn something.

Maybe he is and maybe he isn't. Maybe that's why he followed Martin and maybe it isn't. Too bad that's completely irrelevant to the charge of murder. He didn't walk up and shoot Martin in the back of the head. He shot him to avoid being seriously injured or killed himself when Martin was on top of him and beating him.

But why do white people have to glorify George Zimmerman and the court system?! Seriously, a 17 year old being killed is nothing to gloat about! It's sickening but sadly, not surprising...

"Glorify"?? Where exactly is that happening??

Was he a racist when he provided free tutoring to black youth in Sanford? Was he a racist when he twice voted for Barack Obama? Precisely when did he become a racist???

Just about the same time he became a "white-Hispanic". Notice fjl2nd blaming whitey just above.

You are a sad sad person.

Nope, you'll just never get it. He followed him because he was black which made him suspicious.

This is why it matters that George Zimmerman justified his following of Martin because as he put it, “these !@#$ing punks” always get away. In other words, Zimmerman saw Martin as just another “!@#$ing punk” up to no good, similar to those who had committed previous break-ins in the community. But why? What behavior did Martin display that would have suggested he was criminally inclined? Zimmerman’s team could produce nothing to indicate anything particularly suspicious about Martin’s actions that night. According to Zimmerman, Martin was walking in the rain, “looking around,” or “looking around at the houses.” But not looking in windows, or jiggling doorknobs or porch screens, or anything that might have suggested a possible burglar. At no point was any evidence presented by the defense to justify their client’s suspicions. All we know is that Zimmerman saw Martin and concluded that he was just like those other criminals. And to the extent there was nothing in Martin’s actions — talking on the telephone and walking slowly home from the store — that would have indicated he was another of those “!@#$ing punks,” the only possible explanation as to why George Zimmerman would have seen him that way is because Martin, as a young black male was presumed to be a likely criminal, and for no other reason, ultimately, but color.

George Zimmerman is a racist. Period. Read the link I provided above, maybe you'll learn something.

First, not all profiling is racial. Second, if you'd like to advance the argument of non-judgmentalism as virtue, be my guest but I won't be partaking as I've already had this discussion too many times. While rolling through East LA, please remember that not all heavily inked latinos wearing gang colors are dangerous, and act accordingly. Many are harmless but just want to appear hard. Theres never anything to worry about and you should treat them no differently than you would anyone else.

As for your bolded abortion of a thought, were anyone to witness an evil white guy (since apparently hispanics are evil and white) harassing and provoking a black male to the point of violence then pull his piece and end it, its unlikely he would walk. Theres no reason to suspect thats what happened in the GZ case. See the difference, dolt?

That's not it at all. It was FACT that she shot and killed Trayvon Martin. The burden of proof is now on him to show he acted in self defense.

And the central issue with the Florida laws is that it doesn't necessarily put the burden of proof on him.

But more to the point: the prosecution put on a case where self-defense never even entered into it. They tried to put on a case that he was a racist bigot who specifically hunted down Trayvon Martin with the specific intent of killing him. That didn't require ANY sort of affirmative defense. If they'd charged manslaughter, self-defense might have entered into it...

You all should take the time to read this quick essay by Tim Wise. I know most of you won't but here is the link: http://www.timwise.o...to-my-daughter/

An excerpt:

embarassing article. truly embarassing.

thats not the message the verdict sent, that is a message that a large number of parents are fabricating to pass on to their children, and its incredibly disappointing.

Edited by NoSaint

Maybe, he could have shoved him, grabbed him, etc. There are plenty of possibilities. Imagine if Trayvon Martin was defending himself?! Naw, couldn't be.

You can't convict on "possibilities," you nut bag.

Mark O’Mara: Before I Knew Him, I Thought George Zimmerman Was Racist

JACOB SULLUM: Sorry, the Zimmerman case has nothing to do with “Stand Your Ground.”

The story that George Zimmerman told about his fight with Trayvon Martin, the one that yesterday persuaded a jury to acquit him of second-degree murder and manslaughter, never had anything to do with the right to stand your ground when attacked in a public place. Knocked down and pinned to the ground by Martin, Zimmerman would not have had an opportunity to escape as Martin hit him and knocked his head against the concrete. The duty to retreat therefore was irrelevant. The initial decision not to arrest Zimmerman, former Sanford, Florida, Police Chief Bill Lee said last week (as paraphrased by CNN), “had nothing to do with Florida’s controversial ‘Stand Your Ground’ law” because “from an investigative standpoint, it was purely a matter of self-defense.” And as The New York Times explained last month, “Florida’s Stand Your Ground law…has not been invoked in this case.” The only context in which “stand your ground” was mentioned during the trial was as part of the prosecution’s attempt to undermine Zimmerman’s credibility by arguing that he lied when he told Fox News host Sean Hannity that he had not heard of the law until after the shooting. During his rebuttal on Friday, prosecutor John Guy declared, “This case is not about standing your ground.”

So how did Benjamin Jealous, president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, respond to Zimmerman’s acquittal last night? By announcing that “we will continue to fight for the removal of Stand Your Ground laws in every state.”

Because they are, as usual, willing to try to exploit tragedy for political gain. Zimmerman’s case isn’t about black-white relations either — both Trayvon Martin and Zimmerman (who’s blacker than Homer Plessy) would be counted as African-American by any college “diverity” office in America, and Zimmerman was hispanic, too, but from the press coverage you’d think he was Bull Connor. The only thing that Zimmerman has in common with Bull Connor, though, is that Bull Connor was a Democrat too.

Nope, you'll just never get it. He followed him because he was black which made him suspicious.

Nope you're the one who will NEVER get it.

and repeating the LIE that he followed him because he was Black exposes you as a fool as well as a liar.

Edited by B-Man

I'm going to leave on this note (I have to sleep since I work overnights).

The entire situation was a travesty. A kid died because of George Zimmerman's actions. That is a fact. Race played a role even though you all wrongly disagree and I get that. The system may have "worked" but the system is broke and rarely do we see justice for people of color. The pessimist in me thinks that will never change either.

I was disgusted with other white Americans gloating about how they were right, about how Trayvon was a gangbanger and got what he deserved, and some even had the hatred in their heart to contribute to his defense fund. Imagine an African-American male getting that kind of support in a self-defense case?! Impossible, I know. White people love to rally behind causes like this. Don Imus insults black women in an unbelievable manner, whites say they'll tune in to his show. Paula Deen uses racial slurs, whites rush to buy her cookbooks. George Zimmerman kills a black teenager in self defense, whites donate to make sure he goes free. The list goes on, and it's embarrassing to me.

This isn't just about Trayvon Martin, there is a bigger picture. Most of you won't even acknowledge it exists. You bring your standard replies of "don't bring race into this" or "stop playing the race card" which only prevents any progress in the numerous racial injustices and problems in this country.

Carry on.

I'm going to leave on this note (I have to sleep since I work overnights).

The entire situation was a travesty. A kid died because of George Zimmerman's actions. That is a fact. Race played a role even though you all wrongly disagree and I get that. The system may have "worked" but the system is broke and rarely do we see justice for people of color. The pessimist in me thinks that will never change either.

I was disgusted with other white Americans gloating about how they were right, about how Trayvon was a gangbanger and got what he deserved, and some even had the hatred in their heart to contribute to his defense fund. Imagine an African-American male getting that kind of support in a self-defense case?! Impossible, I know. White people love to rally behind causes like this. Don Imus insults black women in an unbelievable manner, whites say they'll tune in to his show. Paula Deen uses racial slurs, whites rush to buy her cookbooks. George Zimmerman kills a black teenager in self defense, whites donate to make sure he goes free. The list goes on, and it's embarrassing to me.

This isn't just about Trayvon Martin, there is a bigger picture. Most of you won't even acknowledge it exists. You bring your standard replies of "don't bring race into this" or "stop playing the race card" which only prevents any progress in the numerous racial injustices and problems in this country.

Carry on.

No one is denying racism exists, trust me on that.

The rest of the people you are bringing up are just media whores.

As far as I know GZ never requested any help from any of the media whores just a fair trial which he received. Other people got involved in this case, right AND left and this turned into a travesty not because of what happened to Trayvon but because it shows how people are so easily manipulated by the media they tune into and how they form their opinion based on this slanted media.

Note that this is true for the right and left.

My thread is still alive!

Obviously, I'm outraged by the outcome. Florida's stupid laws let George Zimmerman kill a teenager with no consequence. George Zimmerman's words are apparently enough to claim self defense. He will always be a coward to me.

Things like turning Trayvon Martin into a "gangbanger" and "thug" (white America's favorite words to describe black kids) were despicable but par for the course. I hope all those other cowards, the ones who contributed to the Zimmerman defense fund are happy. The "truth" came out.

how the hell does your ignorant ass show up after the fact?

Would he have been brave yo have just taken the ass beating and/or been killed?

Sorry fjl2nd, you simply have an inaccurate account of what happened and your "if only you could see what I see" from on high silliness doesnt change that.

TALKLEFT ON THE ZIMMERMAN CASE:

The legacy of this case will be that the media never gets it right, and worse, that a group of lawyers, with the aid of a public relations team, who had a financial stake in the outcome of pending and anticipated civil litigation, were allowed to commandeer control of Florida’s criminal justice system, in pursuit of a divisive, personal agenda.

Their transformation of a tragic but spontaneous shooting into the crime of the century, and their
relentless demonization of the person they deemed responsible,
not for a tragic killing, but for “cold-blooded murder,” has called into question the political motives and ethics of the officials serving in the Executive branch of Florida’s government, ruined the career of other public officials, turned the lives of the Zimmerman family, who are as innocent as their grieving clients, into a nightmare, and along the way, set back any chance of a rational discussion of the very cause they were promoting, probably for years. . . .

The problems of racial disparity and arbitrary enforcement of our criminal laws are real, systemic and need to be addressed. Criminal defense lawyers see it and fight to correct it every day. From charging decisions to plea offers to sentences, the system is not fair and everybody knows it.

But this case has never been representative of those problems

FBI records: agents found no evidence that Zimmerman was racist.

Edited by B-Man