Did Ralph admit tampering?

Don't think you are even allowed to do that. I billieve it's no contact with play or agent until fa begins...

To be tampering, "contact" would imply some form of contract negotiations. Contact, in the sense of the agent saying "be here at 4:00 pm," is something different.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree. The agent reached out to determine potential interest in meeting with his client. The Bills had no contact with Williams until the 4:00 pm deadline, when they picked him up in NC...

Then you don't know what tampering is.

I'm sure I am just misunderstanding the rule. Is it not still tampering if the agent initiates it?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-ralphwilson

Wilson said the Bills’ pursuit of Williams began when the player’s agent contacted the team to gauge its interest after it became apparent the Texans didn’t have enough salary-cap space to re-sign the star pass rusher.

“He said, `It’s down to four teams,’ and I said, `Well, put us in the mix,”’ Wilson said.

The next step came Tuesday, when the Bills sent a private plane to North Carolina to pick up Williams and fly him back to Buffalo.

If we "tampered" then how could there be a 4 team list already on the table without 4 other teams "tampering?"

(If I'm not mistaken, talking contract number prior to the free agency period would be tampering, but not calling around to set up interviews)

To be tampering, "contact" would imply some form of contract negotiations. Contact, in the sense of the agent saying "be here at 4:00 pm," is something different.

To say to the agent "I would be interested in talking" tampers with boys one ability to negotiate without any outside interference. They (despite however obvious) now know that buffalo would want to offer a contract, along with 4 other teams.

A coach simply saying "sure we'd love Mario" at a press conference, with no one from marios camp around is tampering

Then you don't know what tampering is.

No one is going to "call the cops" on Ralph for saying we'll talk to you after 4:00 pm. If that was the case, no player would ever sign in the first hours of free agency, of which there's been plenty of examples over the years.

If we "tampered" then how could there be a 4 team list already on the table without 4 other teams "tampering?"

(If I'm not mistaken, talking contract number prior to the free agency period would be tampering, but not calling around to set up interviews)

Either 4 teams tampered or the agent lied to us?

Here's the rule:

Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy.

An example of a prohibited comment: “He’s an excellent player, and we’d very much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.

I'm sure I am just misunderstanding the rule. Is it not still tampering if the agent initiates it?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-ralphwilson

Wilson said the Bills’ pursuit of Williams began when the player’s agent contacted the team to gauge its interest after it became apparent the Texans didn’t have enough salary-cap space to re-sign the star pass rusher.

“He said, `It’s down to four teams,’ and I said, `Well, put us in the mix,”’ Wilson said.

The next step came Tuesday, when the Bills sent a private plane to North Carolina to pick up Williams and fly him back to Buffalo.

If they lose out on anything as far as picks or anything from his article he better move to Russia...Idiot.....

No one is going to "call the cops" on Ralph for saying we'll talk to you after 4:00 pm. If that was the case, no player would ever sign in the first hours of free agency, of which there's been plenty of examples over the years.

If Houston wanted to, they could file for it. Likewise if a guy like florio wanted to make it an issue it would force the leagues hand. It's like going 7-8 mph of the speed limit - everyone does it but if you catch someone on the wrong day or there's someone that wants to push the issue you can get the ticket. The NFL doesn't want this issue with it's biggest signing, especially with the redskins/Dallas mess and the saints stuff already. Taking on tampering isn't on the agenda this year unless Houston pushes them publicly.

Edited by NoSaint

A coach simply saying "sure we'd love Mario" at a press conference, with no one from marios camp around is tampering

Mea culpa.

I looked at the actual policy wording and you are right:

"Public/Private Statements. Any public or private statement of interest,qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy. (Example of a prohibited comment: “He’s an excellent player, and we’d very much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.”)"

The only "out" might be if Houston gave Williams permission to reach out to other teams since they were not going to resign him.

What a can of worms...

Mea culpa.

I looked at the actual policy wording and you are right:

"Public/Private Statements. Any public or private statement of interest,qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy. (Example of a prohibited comment: “He’s an excellent player, and we’d very much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.”)"

The only "out" might be if Houston gave Williams permission to reach out to other teams since they were not going to resign him.

What a can of worms...

Guys slip like this all the time. Romeo Crennel did it at the combine for example. Rarely is anyone punished unless the original team was going VERY hard at the player or someone has a vandetta of some variety

The way I interpret it, is the agent was simply calling around to find out which teams were interested, and Ralph added the Bills to the list. But actual discussions on contract did not happen until 4:01pm Tuesday.

Think of it this way, there's an auction on something you really like, but it doesn't start for several days. But to be part of the auction, you need to be on the list. Actual bids can't be put in until the auction starts though.

the bills clicked "add to watch list".

the "buy it now" button was not enabled.

item condition: excellant

time left: until he leaves town

bid history: 1 bid so high, no one else bothered.

Remember, these agents represent a bunch of players. My guess is this agent has other guys on the Bills as well. They have a good working relationship with the front office, thats their job. Talking to each other (agents-owner) is mutually beneficial. Hard to believe it doesnt occur ALL the time.

The tampering rules apply to the clubs.

Players cant "tamper" because they dont speak for the club.

Agents cant "tamper" because agents are not governed by the NFL or the NFL's rules. As Drew Rosenhaus famously stated a couple years ago. The agent can say whatever he wants because, by rule, the agent cannot tamper. Tampering is all about one Club tampering with the rights of another Club to have exclusive rights to negotiate with a player while he is under contract.

To Review: Agents can do whatever they want. Players can do what ever they want. The only people who can "tamper" are the clubs. Period.

Edited by maddenboy

It's only an issue if the Texans can prove that by tampering, the Bills prevented them from re-signing him. His contract parameters were established, and the Texans didn't have the room to fit him. Moreover, as per MW, the Texans never even made him offer. There's nothing to see here.

The tampering rules apply to the clubs.

Players cant "tamper" because they dont speak for the club.

Agents cant "tamper" because agents are not governed by the NFL or the NFL's rules. As Drew Rosenhaus famously stated a couple years ago. The agent can say whatever he wants because, by rule, the agent cannot tamper. Tampering is all about one Club tampering with the rights of another Club to have exclusive rights to negotiate with a player while he is under contract.

To Review: Agents can do whatever they want. Players can do what ever they want. The only people who can "tamper" are the clubs. Period.

Right, but what's being said here is that the club talked to the agent about the player before the beginning of Free Agency. Which would be tampering.