Why Stephen Hill WILL be the pick at number 10.

mob16151

I like what I see in the highlights. But thats exactly what they are, highlights. I haven't seen enough of his GT games to see the whole picture. But it does seem like A LOT of the balls were underthrown. That being said, he doesn't seem to be on most peoples big board. Maybe he'll still be there at 41.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As athletic as he is, I'm concerned about how little separation he has in the majority of those highlights. Seems like he relied on superior athleticism in college, which is much harder in the NFL.

When I watch Floyd's highlights, he makes the same type of spectacular plays I see from Hill, but Floyd gets a lot more separation from DBs.

I like what I see in the highlights. But thats exactly what they are, highlights. I haven't seen enough of his GT games to see the whole picture. But it does seem like A LOT of the balls were underthrown. That being said, he doesn't seem to be on most peoples big board. Maybe he'll still be there at 41.

From what I hear GT's QB was very sub standard and they barely passed the ball.

We have a lot of WR's with potential....need one that can actually come in and make an impact from day 1. I would rate Blackmon, Floyd, Kendall Wright, Alshon Jeffery, and possibly Sanu higher than Hill (in terms of their ability to make an impact right away). I wouldn't touch any WR's besides Blackmon or Floyd at #10. In a trade down scenario, I would value Wright of Hill in the late-first.

We have a lot of threats and weapons between Stevie, Freddy, Spiller, DNelson, Chandler, and Brad Smith. What we need from the #2 WR position, self-evident from Nix sending a plane to go pick up Robert Meachem as soon as FA started, is a big, fast guy who can get downfield and make a play here and there, opening up the field for the rest of the weapons so Fitz can spread the ball around and pick the match-up problems in the defense. That is what Meachem is, and he didn't have to be a star to be very valuable to the team.

Now, at #10, you want a star player. But Hill is a strong consideration if Nix and co think he has all the tool to become a star. I have no way of knowing what they think of him. But even as raw as he is, if he can make the plays he made at GT he would provide exactly what we need from that position right away. And he is a good blocker.

The reason I like Floyd as one of the guys I'd love to see picked at 10 is because he would fit that same need immediately, and has the chance to be a star. A star opposite SJ, with Chandler, nelson underneath, and Freddy and CJ running and catching, would be a nightmare for defenses. But a big fast guy who can make a play here and there will go a long way with the way this offense is set up.

As athletic as he is, I'm concerned about how little separation he has in the majority of those highlights. Seems like he relied on superior athleticism in college, which is much harder in the NFL.

When I watch Floyd's highlights, he makes the same type of spectacular plays I see from Hill, but Floyd gets a lot more separation from DBs.

His measureables make him a superior athlete in the NFL as well. What I liked is that he caught balls. We don't have a single guy on the roster that can go up and get a ball like the ones he seemed to get regularly for how little he was passed to. SJ does his best but he works off of separation not leaping ability and pure speed.

The good teams have multiple guys that can do what this kid does.

We have a lot of threats and weapons between Stevie, Freddy, Spiller, DNelson, Chandler, and Brad Smith. What we need from the #2 WR position, self-evident from Nix sending a plane to go pick up Robert Meachem as soon as FA started, is a big, fast guy who can get downfield and make a play here and there, opening up the field for the rest of the weapons so Fitz can spread the ball around and pick the match-up problems in the defense. That is what Meachem is, and he didn't have to be a star to be very valuable to the team.

Now, at #10, you want a star player. But Hill is a strong consideration if Nix and co think he has all the tool to become a star. I have no way of knowing what they think of him. But even as raw as he is, if he can make the plays he made at GT he would provide exactly what we need from that position right away. And he is a good blocker.

The reason I like Floyd as one of the guys I'd love to see picked at 10 is because he would fit that same need immediately, and has the chance to be a star. A star opposite SJ, with Chandler, nelson underneath, and Freddy and CJ running and catching, would be a nightmare for defenses. But a big fast guy who can make a play here and there will go a long way with the way this offense is set up.

I'm with ya. I'd love to have this guy on our team I just don't love the idea of getting him at #10. Floyd is more of a known commodity good because of his larger body of work and bad because of the DUI stuff. Floyd has some good measureables too but he doesn't have this guys physical gifts.

late second, early third

No chance in hell he is around that long.

He looks extremely athletic in his highlights and i'm encouraged that he was mentioned as a good, if not willing blocker. My issue is that I did not see many routes where he was going inside. That scares me about some of those tall lanky WRs. As fast and gifted as you are on the vertical routes, I need you to also be physical and willing to go inside on crossing routes, which fits what Gailey's offense does. The reason so many hated on Lee Evans was because of that same reason. He was a one trick pony that only did fly routes. Prove to me otherwise and count me in for this guy.

POW!!!

He looks extremely athletic in his highlights and i'm encouraged that he was mentioned as a good, if not willing blocker. My issue is that I did not see many routes where he was going inside. That scares me about some of those tall lanky WRs. As fast and gifted as you are on the vertical routes, I need you to also be physical and willing to go inside on crossing routes, which fits what Gailey's offense does. The reason so many hated on Lee Evans was because of that same reason. He was a one trick pony that only did fly routes. Prove to me otherwise and count me in for this guy.

POW!!!

If he is a one trick pony I really like the one trick he does which is come down with balls, sometimes one handed, that our current WR don't do.

PLEASE forgive the comparison but you don't have a Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss style big WR run crossing routes too much. You let them do what they do and let your other guys work underneath them. As soon as an underneath route is jumped and this guy has single coverage deep you throw it as far as you can and he goes up and makes the one handed grab.

Do that once or twice a game and it changes how the defense plays the underneath stuff.

That is the problem. We would get roasted for potentially making a "Raiders" pick if we took this guy at 10 but I want him on our team and he won't be there in the 2nd. In some combine footage they compare Hill to Demarius Thomas of the Broncos and Calvin Johnson. I just think this guy is a talent but don't know how we get him unless we "reach" at #10.

Calling a pick a reach only has relevance to the draft. Once they are on the team their play should be judged on it's own merit. If a guy turns out to be just an above average role player he is blasted because he was picked too high like Whitner. If he Turns out to be a JPP you look like a genius.

Too small and too slow.

I am not big either on the term 'reach'. A lot of 'experts' on t.v. like to use that term, usually because they had the player slotted somewhere else. And lets be honest, no one knows on draft day if it is a reach or not.

My problem with Hill is his college career, you have got to agree he is inconsistent? Now what can you attribute that too? I don't know. I am sure Buddy and Chan will find out for sure, given Chan left GT on good terms.

IF Chan and Buddy love the kid and take him at 10, i will feel like it is the right pick. They will for sure have gotten the scoop on him.

This draft reminds me of the one where the Bills took Hardy. There will be a run on WRs late first early second i predict. You will see 4-5 guys go in a 10-15 range of picks. Hill will probably be one of those guys.

As I said in another thread, Buddy Nix was front and center at Stephen Hill's pro day and Chan has obvious connections to GT that gives them an almost lock solid evaluation on this guy.

The people talking up Floyd might as while forget him ever being picked by the Bills. Hill has no character concerns that I've heard about. He seems like the player Lee Evans would be if he were 6'4".

WR is clearly the Bills #1 need and if Buddy feels that Hill is a top 10 talent then he will no doubt be the pick at #10 baring someone huge dropping like Claiborne.

He seems like a tall Lee Evans? Where the hell do you get that from??

CBS Sportsline says this:

"Route running: Needs to tighten up his routes, but has the quick feet and balance to cut or come back to the ball. Should excel in a West Coast or timing-type of offense. Lined up at every receiver position to take advantage of the best matchup. Solid threat on slants, shallow crosses and in the red zone.

After the catch: More of a bull than a cheetah. Will not outrun NFL defensive backs, but has more than enough speed to turn short passes into long gains when his quarterback leads him. Can make a quick inside move on an out route to get additional yardage, but won't outrun NFL defenders from a standstill. Looks best when plowing over corners one-on-one in space or carrying multiple defenders down the middle.

Blocking: Has the size to handle defensive backs, but needs to be more consistent here to give backs a chance to break off big runs. When ready to go on screens and run plays to his side, he is capable of a strong punch and sustaining the block. Often misses his target or fails to sustain by not giving full effort if the play is designed to go away from him."

That sure sounds a lot like Lee Evans to me. :wallbash: They also compare him to Dwayne Bowe, who many people on the board would have loved us to grab in FA.

I love how people make a claim like this with no back up and it becomes an entire basis on why we shouldn't draft a guy. If this is the case please provide us some facts, so we can look at. As of now this is what we have on Floyd.

I am not a Floyd homer, if Hill could be a better prospect great, we should grab him. But let's hear why and why not, lets just not toss an opinion out there without evidence that it is even true and have it start a flare up in an entire thread.

The negative first, he got busted for DUI and underage drinking - what kid in college didn't drink before they were 21 and made poor decisions when around their friends. Who doesn't know at least person, or even themselves who go behind the wheel when they shouldn't have. His last offense was in 2001. This kid realized he made a mistake and took VOLUNTARY corrections to fix his behavior issues/poor decisions. He took a Drunk driving course, he worked a a janitor for the school and he asked to be moved into the freshman dorm so that he would be away from alcohol and the partying that went on in the other dorms. To me this says he is like almost every other college kid in the USA, he drunk underage (caught twice) and got behind the wheel once when he shouldn't have. He showed maturity and intelligence, saw he needed to make changes and did. He had no issues since 2010.

Since there are no facts in this thread about Floyd, here you go...

Micheal Floyd:

From ESPN:

Analysis: Floyd's combine showing confirmed that he has the speed to get over the top of man coverage. He also has elite downfield ball skills. Floyd can make a strong case as the second wide receiver off the board. He is the 2nd ranked WR on Kipers Board.

Walter Football's report:

Strengths:

Excellent size

Phenomenal hands; rarely ever drops a pass

Skilled at defeating jams

Advanced route-runner; sudden out of breaks

Physical with cornerbacks

Breaks tackles; gets yards after contact

Dangerous with ball in his hands

Smart

Athletic

Quick feet

Good-sized target

Leaping ability

Tough red zone receiver

Quality blocker

Adept at finding soft spots in zone

Durable

Experienced 3-year starter

Weaknesses:

Good but not great speed

Has struggled with some big and quick corners

Legal trouble

Some double teams took him out of games

Summary: Michael Floyd broke almost every receiving record in Notre Dame history. The big, quick wideout was a dominant force the past two seasons after serving as the complementary receiver to Golden Tate early on. He recorded 100 catches for 1,147 yards and nine touchdowns in 2011.

Floyd frequently was an overwhelming force on the field. He is a polished receiver who works well in all levels of the defense. He can make tough catches in the middle or along the sideline because of impressive body control. He runs good routes with the quickness to get separation. He is big receiver and presents a good target for his quarterback. Floyd runs well with the ball in his hands, and is a hard, physical presence on defensive backs. Floyd may not have the elite speed to flat out race by NFL secondaries, but he has enough to speed to make big plays down the field. Floyd is well-rounded as a run blocker. With his consistency in production to go along with his skill set, he looks like he has the capacity to be a No. 1 receiver in the NFL.

Since 2009, Floyd has had three run-ins with the law from alcohol. He had a DUI in March of 2011 and an underage drinking arrest in 2010. There are other disturbing allegations that have circled around Floyd's off-the-field behavior. Reportedly, Floyd has woken up and cleaned up his act. The maturity concerns are the biggest negatives about Floyd entering the NFL.

And this is from Astro the full write up is in another thread:

Nix won’t be trading picks for 6’1” Justin Blackmon, or trading back into the first for 5’10” Kendall Wright. Michael Floyd isn’t Megatron, but he’s big and athletic enough to out-jump and out-muscle defenders in the red zone. I’d be disappointed if the Bills didn’t consider Alshon Jeffery before opting for Floyd, but the taller, heavier Jeffery had fewer TD’s and a lower reception average over the last 2 years, and in 2011 had a lower yards-per-game average with half of Floyd’s 100 receptions. Floyd was the more consistent receiver over the last 3 years in receptions per game with 6.3, 6.1, and 7.7 to Jeffery’s 3.5, 6.3, and 3.8. look for another WR to be drafted in this WR-deep year. Floyd’s a great start, though; he was one of the most dominant college WR’s even with subpar QB’s (28 TD’s in 30 games, 17 100-yard games). Floyd’s 4.42 forty won’t hurt him in gaining separation and his height and long arms will serve him well in the red zone.

CBS Sportsline:

02/26/2012 - Floyd certainly helped his cause by running the 40-yard dash in 4.42 seconds (unofficially) at 6-3, 220 pounds and showing excellent hands, flexibility, and surprisingly precise routes. Whether it was drifting across the middle during the gauntlet drill, dropping his hips on quick comeback routes or showing the ability to track the ball over either shoulder deep, Floyd consistently plucked the ball out of air, quickly secured it and got upfield in one fluid motion. - NFLDraftScout.com

he high school All-American and two-time Minnesota Gatorade Player of the Year arrived at South Bend with high expectations -- which were only heightened further when he caught a touchdown in his first game against San Diego State. But injuries and inconsistency dampened his flashes of brilliance during his career.

Floyd started 10 of the 11 games he played as a true freshman in 2008, setting records in first-year player receptions (44), receiving yards (719) and touchdown catches (seven). He missed the final two games of the regular season with an injured left knee. In 2009, he finished second on the team with 44-795-9 despite missing five games with a broken left collarbone suffered against Michigan State. And although he missed only one game as a junior and led the team with 79 catches for 1,025 yards and 12 touchdowns, he battled a hamstring injury throughout the season. His 6-109-2 performance against Miami (Fla.) in the Sun Bowl showed scouts what he can do when healthy. His senior season was strong -- Floyd was reinstated to the team after an alcohol-related arrest, but his return to the football team required approval of Notre Dame's president -- with 100 receptions for 1,147 yards and nine TD catches, plus one touchdown run.

His prototypical size and strength make Floyd an intriguing prospect, but the injury history, run-ins with the law on alcohol-related charges, and average speed could keep him from being a top-10 pick. Some scouts will see former first-round pick Dwayne Bowe when watching Floyd's tape, which isn't a bad thing considering Bowe's breakout 2010 season and steady '11 output, but Bowe (23rd overall pick, 2007) entered the NFL with teams doubting not only his ability to separate consistently at his size (6-2, 221), but also his dedication and professionalism. After back-to-back excellent seasons, Bowe is a coveted free agent in 2012.

Release: Does not explode off the line of scrimmage and runs with long strides. His size and strength make him tough to press, however, and he is capable of separating with physicality -- but not pure speed.

Hands: Has strong hands, but scouts have questions about his consistency as a receiver. Excellent vertical and ability to adjust to high throws, and also snatches wide throws near the sideline or over the middle. Tracks the ball well over his shoulder (or head), though he will lose sideline awareness in some cases. Too often lets the ball get into his body.

Route running: Needs to tighten up his routes, but has the quick feet and balance to cut or come back to the ball. Should excel in a West Coast or timing-type of offense. Lined up at every receiver position to take advantage of the best matchup. Solid threat on slants, shallow crosses and in the red zone.

After the catch: More of a bull than a cheetah. Will not outrun NFL defensive backs, but has more than enough speed to turn short passes into long gains when his quarterback leads him. Can make a quick inside move on an out route to get additional yardage, but won't outrun NFL defenders from a standstill. Looks best when plowing over corners one-on-one in space or carrying multiple defenders down the middle.

Blocking: Has the size to handle defensive backs, but needs to be more consistent here to give backs a chance to break off big runs. When ready to go on screens and run plays to his side, he is capable of a strong punch and sustaining the block. Often misses his target or fails to sustain by not giving full effort if the play is designed to go away from him.

This guy is from GT and was in an option based system that didn't pass much and didn't have a great QB. That being said. After hearing about his stellar combine performance, a few weeks later I decided to look for some video on the guy. What I found was quite surprising. Does anyone know anything about this kid besides him blowing up the combine? His measureables are awesome and in the highlights I'm seeing the guy looks like he could be something special.

youtube.com/watch?v=1kQWb4NXvJc&feature=fvwrel

draft him at 10.

We have a lot of WR's with potential....need one that can actually come in and make an impact from day 1. I would rate Blackmon, Floyd, Kendall Wright, Alshon Jeffery, and possibly Sanu higher than Hill (in terms of their ability to make an impact right away). I wouldn't touch any WR's besides Blackmon or Floyd at #10. In a trade down scenario, I would value Wright of Hill in the late-first.

I would alter that to specify we have guys with potential to contribute, not potential to be a rare player. He's a risk, and who knows- maybe there at 41. I think some of those tackles and ends slide down and he might be a guy that gets pushed by them instead of leap frogging them. That said I'd guess he is a 25-35 type player depending how needs and talent line up in there

draft him at 10.

I don't see how we can right now. A lot of things change and players do fly up the boards as the draft approaches but I still don't think we are looking at this guy at #10. I would rather get somebody to play OLB for us if the right guy is there. I hate that this is even coming out of my mouth but a trade back would be awesome.

If Buddy thinks we are set at certain positions I would love to see Whitney Mercilus and Stephen Hill drafted on what they could be. So far it doesn't seem that Buddy is big on gambles and just makes solid picks that have a good chance of panning out.

I've posted about Hill before. I'm a GT season ticket holder and have watched him live many times. Stay away from him. He's soft, injury prone and has had countless drops in key situations. He's sprinkled in a few nice catches that end up making a nice highlight reel, but that's about it.

Also, all this Chan/GT/Hill stuff.... Gailey was fired a year and a half before Hill suited up for GT, so other than maybe a scouting trip there's no connection there.

I wouldn't spend anything higher than a 4th rounder on him (at that point he MIGHT be worth the gamble).

I don't see how we can right now. A lot of things change and players do fly up the boards as the draft approaches but I still don't think we are looking at this guy at #10. I would rather get somebody to play OLB for us if the right guy is there. I hate that this is even coming out of my mouth but a trade back would be awesome.

If Buddy thinks we are set at certain positions I would love to see Whitney Mercilus and Stephen Hill drafted on what they could be. So far it doesn't seem that Buddy is big on gambles and just makes solid picks that have a good chance of panning out.

It's only a gamble based on projected NFL team "big boards" on the internet. Buddy and Chan have serious ties to Georgia Tech and they very well could have Stephen Hill as the top player still on their board when the draft reaches pick #10. These draft "big boards" are like echo chambers. NationalFootballPost is the only one that seems to not follow the leader like all the rest. It's strange how a guy like Dontari Poe starts hitting the top 10 based on his combine results even though he has a lack of college production, yet Hill scorches both his combine and pro day's and there nary a flicker on these boards and they say it's because of his lack of college production.

If they draft Hill you won't hear anything about him being a gamble, Buddy will be saying that he's going to be a star receiver and he's someone who should have been in the top five player's picked. They want to give Fitzpatrick a BIG and FAST target. That's Hill. He just might be the guy they pick.

It's only a gamble based on projected NFL team "big boards" on the internet. Buddy and Chan have serious ties to Georgia Tech and they very well could have Stephen Hill as the top player still on their board when the draft reaches pick #10. These draft "big boards" are like echo chambers. NationalFootballPost is the only one that seems to not follow the leader like all the rest. It's strange how a guy like Dontari Poe starts hitting the top 10 based on his combine results even though he has a lack of college production, yet Hill scorches both his combine and pro day's and there nary a flicker on these boards and they say it's because of his lack of college production.

If they draft Hill you won't hear anything about him being a gamble, Buddy will be saying that he's going to be a star receiver and he's someone who should have been in the top five player's picked. They want to give Fitzpatrick a BIG and FAST target. That's Hill. He just might be the guy they pick.

The same "serious ties" that made us draft Derrick Morgan and Demaryius Thomas the past two years right?

Edited by Maddog69

I've posted about Hill before. I'm a GT season ticket holder and have watched him live many times. Stay away from him. He's soft, injury prone and has had countless drops in key situations. He's sprinkled in a few nice catches that end up making a nice highlight reel, but that's about it.

Also, all this Chan/GT/Hill stuff.... Gailey was fired a year and a half before Hill suited up for GT, so other than maybe a scouting trip there's no connection there.

I wouldn't spend anything higher than a 4th rounder on him (at that point he MIGHT be worth the gamble).

Oh, terrific. Now we need a scouting report on you! :lol:

The same "serious ties" that made us draft Derrick Morgan and Demaryius Thomas the past two years right?

I'm sure they would have loved to get Thomas or Morgan, but Spiller was rated the much higher prospect. Every draft is obviously different and who knows what players are listed in Buddy's top ten. Do I think that Hill could be on that list? Yes I do.

Hill is a legit tall 6'4" receiver and they clearly will be PROJECTING greatness if he's the pick. Prototype size, speed, good character. Nix is going with "prototype" players on this team. It seems like they are using the Giants' blueprint to building a championship quality team.

If you aren't the prototype for the position you will not get drafted.

Edited by 1billsfan

I'm sure they would have loved to get Thomas or Morgan, but Spiller was rated the much higher prospect. Every draft is obviously different and who knows what players are listed in Buddy's top ten. Do I think that Hill could be on that list? Yes I do.

Hill is a legit tall 6'4" receiver and they clearly will be PROJECTING greatness if he's the pick. Prototype size, speed, good character. Nix is going with "prototype" players on this team. It seems like they are using the Giants' blueprint to building a championship quality team.

If you aren't the prototype for the position you will not get drafted.

I'm not debating that he is a solid prospect. My point is that people overstate the connection for Ga Tech. They also do it with San Diego. Every player that leaves SD is rumored to come here because of Buddy. Maybe we should start perusing the Pitt players available in the draft since Wanny coached there a while back.