Can Shawne Merriman play DE?

I'm very concerned with what Shawne Merriman's role is going to be on this team. He can't play LB in a 4-3 that's for sure. I'm not so sure whether he can play DE however. How many career sacks does "Lights Out" have with his hand on the ground? Pretty sure it's not too many.

just let him stand up and rush the passer like he normally does

he could play strong side lb or rde imo

If he gives you anything at all it will be as a situational pass rusher. He just can't hold up for an entire game anymore.

The liability is that Merriman will not be great in a 4-3. Look at a guy like Joey Porter. He sucked with Wannstedt's 4-3 but was a hero when they switched back to a 3-4. If you put Merriman in a situation pass rusher, teams know he's gonna blitz. If they leave him in coverage, they're gonna get smoked as Shawne can't cover worth shite. Honestly he doesn't fit in

The liability is that Merriman will not be great in a 4-3. Look at a guy like Joey Porter. He sucked with Wannstedt's 4-3 but was a hero when they switched back to a 3-4. If you put Merriman in a situation pass rusher, teams know he's gonna blitz. If they leave him in coverage, they're gonna get smoked as Shawne can't cover worth shite. Honestly he doesn't fit in

Situational pass rusher as in he subs in for Kelsay at DE in the nickel and dimes.

Merriman is 6,41/2 265-275 and has good lower and upper body strength - If he's 100% healthy he shouldn't have any problem playing with his hand on the ground- but if he can't explode out of his stance because of injuries then he can't help us.

Merriman is 6,41/2 265-275 and has good lower and upper body strength - If he's 100% healthy he shouldn't have any problem playing with his hand on the ground- but if he can't explode out of his stance because of injuries then he can't help us.

He's never going to be 100% healthy ever again. Achilles injuries never are the same

I'd be thrilled if he is able to be a situational pass rusher for us. Even if he can make it through 10-15 plays a game and provide 4-6 sacks and some pressures, that would be good enough for me. His energy and excitement are great. I am excited as hell to see this defense.

Tim ryan and Pat Kirwan were commneting on Sirius that they could see him being released. Don't know if it was just pure speculation or something they've been hearing, found it interesting nonetheless. Have we ever gotten an anwer on how much of a cap savings would be realized if Merriman is chopped?

If he gives you anything at all it will be as a situational pass rusher. He just can't hold up for an entire game anymore.

Yup, but that's all we need him for. It's a nice card to have up the sleeve...if he is healthy.

Hasn't been discussed much, but according to Nix, one of the things that Mario liked about coming to the Bills and the defensive scheme was that he was told he could play LDE, which he prefers. Apparently, that is where he played in college but not with the Texans.

I really think that on passing downs it's going to be MWilliams - MDareus - KWilliams - SMerriman across the front four.

I know Chan has said that he'd rather him Rushing the passer out of the RDE position, i think when he was asked if Merriman would play LB his answer was "I think not". What little I've seen of Merriman as a bill -- I thought he was much better pass rushing out of the motorcycle stance as opposed to having a hand in the ground.

I'm very concerned with what Shawne Merriman's role is going to be on this team. He can't play LB in a 4-3 that's for sure. I'm not so sure whether he can play DE however. How many career sacks does "Lights Out" have with his hand on the ground? Pretty sure it's not too many.

Per Chan Gailey, quoted on Buffalo Rumblings by Brian Galliford on Feb 24, 2012 10:04 AM EST

Speaking with The Buffalo News from the 2012 NFL Combine, head coach Chan Gailey made it very clear that if Merriman is healthy enough to contribute next season - and he's clearly skeptical about that - Merriman will do so as a situational pass rusher from the right defensive end position.

There had been some thought that Merriman could play the vacant SAM linebacker spot and add a rush threat from there (again, if he's healthy), but Gailey quickly put an end to that idea: ""I’d rather him not," Gailey said. "I think we’d rather him be a right defensive end rushing the passer all the time."

So....Gailey thinks Merriman could play DE as a situational pass rusher, if he's healthy.

Merriman ran out of gas in San Diego - nothing left in the tank

San Diego did better with Spikes

There is little doubt that Shawne Merriman can play DE on passing downs. (Which in the NFL against the Patriots is most of the game)

No one should have any concerns about the possibility of Merriman at DE.

You can be concerned about his health, for obvious reasons.

The year is 2012 and there have been dozens of examples of people returning from Achilles. They all took multiple years to regain their form a la Spikes.

Still, there is no guarantee Merriman will be healthy. There is no guarantee Mario Williams, Kyle Williams or Marcell Dareus will be healthy as well.

Good news, Kelsay is actually competent at DE in a 4-3 and IF Merriman is healthy, Tom Brady, Mark Sanshez, and whatever bum lines up Miami won't be vertical very often.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Hasn't been discussed much, but according to Nix, one of the things that Mario liked about coming to the Bills and the defensive scheme was that he was told he could play LDE, which he prefers. Apparently, that is where he played in college but not with the Texans.

I really think that on passing downs it's going to be MWilliams - MDareus - KWilliams - SMerriman across the front four.

He played both DE positions in Houston.

the fact that you're concerned is great frank, that shows you're a dedicated fan. but the fact is, wannstache has been concerned about it for probably more than a year, and he's the one who has a chance to do anything about it. don't forget to revel in the facts of what happened today, and enjoy your fandom. after all our suffering, don't we all deserve as much ??

cheers,

~AS