Voter ID

3rdnlng

I read a liberal argument the other day that, in a nutshell, it's hard to get an ID for most middle class people because it requires two things they may not have: time off from work and a birth certificate. Apparently, these are very, very difficult barriers for many Americans to overcome.

The rebuttal was simply this: you have one day to vote and can manage to show up, but somehow the other 364 days of the year aren't enough time to get an ID?

Better rebuttal: how many middle class people can't get a driver's license because they're working?

I mean, really...is most of middle income America driving without a license?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better rebuttal: how many middle class people can't get a driver's license because they're working?

I should find what I read because they did specifically call out the "middle class" as being the ones who would have a problem. Bizarre, really, but when you're out of bullets, I guess you throw the gun.

And like most of lazy ass middle American isn't dying for a reason to take some time off of work.

I voted in last weeks Virginia primary.

I had to present my Virginia drivers license.

I had to confirm that the address on my license was current.

Come to think of it, I've had to do that as long as I've been voting. Not just in Virginia either.....

That is not true. I am an election official in Virginia and very familiar with ID requirements. A driver license, any gov id, a registration card, SS card or nearly any id will suffice.

If you don't want to provide one, merely signing an affidavit claiming you are who you say you are will do.

That is not true. I am an election official in Virginia and very familiar with ID requirements. A driver license, any gov id, a registration card, SS card or nearly any id will suffice.

If you don't want to provide one, merely signing an affidavit claiming you are who you say you are will do.

Every time I vote they ask to see ID

<br />If voting is so important in the country why is it such a problem with them wanting to make sure you are who you say you are?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hey buddy, take it up with the USC... I really don't mind... Done right, like Sherpa said... Not a problem. I just don't want some over-officious granny election judge getting all crazy and feeding people a line of bs.

Every time I vote they ask to see ID

Yes they do, but you are not required to show it, at least in the state of Virginia.

Almost any id will suffice, and if you refuse to show any, you simply sign an affirmation of identity.

Showing ID speeds up the process tremendously.

What kills me is the folks who want to give a political opinion sermon on the issue while others are waiting.

The fact is, I don't really give a damn about what a voter thinks about existing law. I just want to get my 5am to 8pm volunteer work done and get out.

<br /><br /><br />

Hey buddy, take it up with the USC... I really don't mind... Done right, like Sherpa said... Not a problem. I just don't want some over-officious granny election judge getting all crazy and feeding people a line of bs.

So you're afraid of a little old lady. Hmmm, not surprised.

FTA:

The NAACP request that the U.N. Human Rights Council investigate U.S.-voter-ID laws is so ludicrous, it’s impossible to keep silent.

Like the bandit leader in Treasure of the Sierra Madre, NAACP President Ben Jealous apparently believes no one in America should have to show any “stinkin’” ID — at least not for some puerile purpose like authenticating their identity in the polling place. Apparently, ID should be required only for important civic functions — like cashing a check, getting a prescription filled, buying a beer, applying for food stamps, or checking into a hotel. Or for other constitutional rights, including entering federal buildings such as the main headquarters of the Department of Justice in Washington to “petition the Government.”

Unfortunately for Mr. Jealous, the American people overwhelmingly disagree, and understand the importance of putting in place minimal measures such as voter ID to protect the integrity of the election process. And they know that the claims that this is “vote suppression” or “Jim Crow” are laughably ridiculous. In fact, the latest Rasmussen poll shows that 56 percent oppose the Holder Justice Department’s blocking of the Texas voter-ID law and 72 percent of likely voters think voters should be required to show photo ID.

Still, who can fault NAACP officials for taking a nice, all-expenses-paid trip to beautiful Switzerland, where they can air their complaints before the assembled representatives of Cuba, China, Russia, North Korea, and other paragons of democratic virtue who sit on the Human Rights Council?

By the way, memo to the delegation: You will need a photo ID to get on the airplane. Oh, and a passport (you know, another photo ID) to get into Switzerland and back into the United States................. Bon voyage!

Hans Von Spakovsky

• 4 weeks later...

"I'll be back faster than you can say 'furious.'" :lol:

Can you imagine going into a DC voting precinct and getting Holder's ballot? That's some damn funny stuff right there.

If someone in the press does not ask the WH about this this morning, I'm going to be stunned.

Can you imagine going into a DC voting precinct and getting Holder's ballot? That's some damn funny stuff right there.

If someone in the press does not ask the WH about this this morning, I'm going to be stunned.

It's not on the list of questions that the press secretary assigned to the reporters.

Holder’s opposition to ID laws comes in spite of the Supreme Court’s 6–3 decision in 2008, authored by liberal Justice John Paul Stevens, that upheld the constitutionality of Indiana’s tough ID requirement. When groups sue to block photo-ID laws in court, they can’t seem to produce real-world examples of people who have actually been denied the right to vote. According to opinion polls, over 75 percent of Americans — including majorities of Hispanics and African-Americans — routinely support such laws.

One reason is that people know you can’t function in the modern world without showing ID — you can’t cash a check, travel by plane or even train, or rent a video without being asked for one. In fact, PJ Media recently proved that you can’t even enter the Justice Department in Washington without showing a photo ID. Average voters understand that it’s only common sense to require ID because of how easy it is for people to pretend they are someone else

Filmmaker James O’Keefe demonstrated just how easy it is on Tuesday when he dispatched an assistant to the Nebraska Avenue polling place in Washington where Attorney General Holder has been registered for the last 29 years. O’Keefe specializes in the same use of hidden cameras that was pioneered by the recently deceased Mike Wallace, who used the technique to devastating effect in exposing fraud in Medicare claims and consumer products on 60 Minutes. O’Keefe’s efforts helped expose the fraud-prone voter-registration group ACORN with his video stings, and has had great success demonstrating this year in New Hampshire, Vermont, and Minnesota just how easy it is to obtain a ballot by giving the name of a dead person who is still on the rolls. Indeed, a new study by the Pew Research Center found at least 1.8 million dead people are still registered to vote. They aren’t likely to complain if someone votes in their place.

In Washington, it was child’s play for O’Keefe to beat the system. O’Keefe’s assistant used a hidden camera to document his encounter with the election worker at Holder’s polling place:

Man: “Do you have an Eric Holder, 50th Street?

Poll worker: “Let me see here.”

Man: Xxxx 50th Street.

Poll Worker: Let’s see, Holder, Hol-t-e-r, or Hold-d-e-r?

Man: H-o-l-d-e-r.

Poll Worker: D-e-r. Okay.

Man: That’s the name.

Poll Worker: I do. Xxxx 50th Street NW. Okay. [Puts check next to name, indicating someone has shown up to vote.] Will you sign there . . .

Man: I actually forgot my ID.

Poll Worker: You don’t need it; it’s all right.

Man: I left it in the car.

Poll Worker: As long as you’re in here, and you’re on our list and that’s who you say you are, we’re okay.

Man: I would feel more comfortable if I go get my ID, is it all right if I go get it?

Poll Worker: Sure, go ahead.

Man: I’ll be back faster than you can say furious!

Poll Worker: We’re not going anywhere.

Note that O’Keefe’s assistant never identified himself as Eric Holder, so he was not illegally impersonating him.

Nor did he attempt to vote using the ballot that was offered him, or even to accept it. O’Keefe has been accused by liberals of committing voter fraud in his effort to expose just how slipshod the election systems of various no-ID-required states are, but lawyers say his methods avoid that issue. Moreover, he has only taped his encounters with election officials in jurisdictions that allow videotaping someone in public with only one party’s knowledge

{SNIP}

But the groups opposing voter ID won’t let the facts get in their way. James Clyburn of South Carolina, the third-ranking member in the House Democratic leadership, compares voter-ID laws to “Jim Crow” provisions that blocked people from voting in the last century, and said he is “very, very anxious” that the Supreme Court “as it is presently constituted” will support the new laws. But as previously noted, the Supreme Court already has supported voter ID, with its opinion authored by its most liberal member at the time.

Some criticism of voter-ID laws has morphed into intimidation. This week, Color of Change, co-founded by former Obama special adviser Van Jones, threatened a boycott against Coca-Cola and Walmart because they financially supported the American Legislative Exchange Council, which has helped state legislators draft some of the voter-ID laws. Within hours, Coca-Cola resigned its membership in ALEC. So far Walmart is holding out by arguing that ALEC is involved with dozens of issues, many of them of direct concern to Walmart shareholders.

John Fund