Voter ID

3rdnlng

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to a lot of liberals, blacks CANT....thats right....CANNOT get a picture ID. They are physically unable.

The soft bigotry of low expecations.

Did the quick Google for this....

http://latinodecisions.wordpress.com/2011/05/24/the-disproportionate-impact-of-stringent-voter-id-laws/

We contend that while instilling greater confidence in our election system (the primary benefit of Photo-ID laws) is a worthwhile goal, it is equally important to examine the impact that more rigorous identification requirements may have on the law abiding electorate. In our research we hypothesize that adding photo-identification requirements would create a substantive barrier to voting for racial and ethnic minorities, as well as foreign-born voters. We base our theory on the clearly established relationship that institutional burdens to participation have on individuals who have fewer political resources.

Obviously....taking a bus to a DMV or a local library or Post Office (where easy "ID drives" could be set up) is now an "institutional burden."

I'm fine with a picture voter I.D. card. I plan on looking up to see if there would be any type of hardship to obtaining one for a minority. My guess would be that there isn't one so I don't see why there would be any opposition to the law. I the end I'm not sure what the big deal would be for either side since it's not going to change the outcome of elections in that state.

...it's not going to change the outcome of elections in that state.

You keep telling yourself that, Skippy. If it isn't going to change the outcome of elections, why are liberals fighting so hard to stop it.

We base our theory on the clearly established relationship that institutional burdens to participation have on individuals who have fewer political resources.

Liberals complaining about excessive regulations. How rich.

I'm fine with a picture voter I.D. card. I plan on looking up to see if there would be any type of hardship to obtaining one for a minority. My guess would be that there isn't one so I don't see why there would be any opposition to the law. I the end I'm not sure what the big deal would be for either side since it's not going to change the outcome of elections in that state.

Now, assuming that your guess is correct (which it is, btw), take the next step and think about why someone (especially someone like Holder) might oppose that law.

Really?? A hardship for a minority? WTF man. Sorry but they have to suffer by standing at the DMV like the rest of us.

Look...Im sure there are LOTS of poor folks, the elderly, people in remote areas, where getting an ID could require some work. But there is ZERO excuse why the Feds could not leverage the current infrastructures in place....the Postal System, the census system, the IRS, etc. to get people to ramp up and get an ID. A 1800 number to call, visit a post office,etc. Heck, have someone come to your house!

If they can get in touch with every household in the US every ten years for the census and send a tax bill to everyone's house every year (at least figuratively), there is zero reason why they cant reach out to ensure everyone has a "voter card" or whatever the hell you want to call it.

Edited by RkFast

• 2 months later...

It is simply stunning to me that anyone would have a problem ensuring every voter has a valid ID when they vote. Why would anyone want to keep from ensuring that every vote is a valid vote?

Is it discrimination to ask for an ID to cash a check? Rent a car? Get on a plane? Then how can it possibly be discriminating to ask for an ID to do one of the most important things you, as an individual American, can possibly do for your country? And precisely how difficult is it to actually GET a photo ID...valid or otherwise?

But no. It's just never that simple for our esteemed DOJ.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department's civil rights division on Monday objected to a new photo ID requirement for voters in Texas because many Hispanic voters lack state-issued identification.

Texas is the second state in recent months to become embroiled in a court battle with the Justice Department over photo ID requirements for voters.

The Justice Department said Texas officials failed to show that the newly enacted law has neither a discriminatory purpose nor effect.

The department had been reviewing the law since last year and discussing the matter with state officials. In January, Texas officials sued U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, seeking a court judgment that the state's recently enacted voter ID law was not discriminatory in purpose or effect.

In a letter to Texas officials that was also filed in the court case in Washington, the Justice Department said Hispanic voters in Texas are more than twice as likely than non-Hispanic voters to lack a driver's license or personal state-issued photo ID. The department said that even the lowest estimates showed about half of Hispanic registered voters lack such identification.

The range was so broad because the state provided two sets of registered voter data. In December, the Justice Department rejected South Carolina's voter ID law on grounds it makes it harder for minorities to cast ballots. It was the first voter ID law to be rejected by the department in nearly 20 years.

In response, South Carolina sued Holder; the state argued that enforcement of its new law will not disenfranchise any voters.

Just seems like a no-brainer to me, but in the end you can paraphrase the great line from Parenthood: "You need an ID to board a plane, to cash a check, to buy some cigarettes...hell, you even need an ID to buy a beer, but they'll let any butt-reaming azzzhole vote for a president."

The Justice Department's civil rights division on Monday objected to a new photo ID requirement for voters in Texas because many Hispanic voters lack state-issued identification.

You know what's really retarded about that? The only way that's discriminatory is if Texas has requirements for getting a photo ID that discriminate against Hispanics. But you don't see Justice challenging that, do you?

I voted in last weeks Virginia primary.

I had to present my Virginia drivers license.

I had to confirm that the address on my license was current.

Come to think of it, I've had to do that as long as I've been voting. Not just in Virginia either, I had to do that while I lived in Pennsylvania too.

I should sue both states for ongoing discrimination and voter disenfranchisement against Caucasian males born within the United States.

The Justice Department said Texas officials failed to show that the newly enacted law has neither a discriminatory purpose nor effect

Makes you just want to shake your head.

Eric Holder...................all race, all the time.

Maybe he could call us all "cowards" again.......thats effective leadership.

<br />I voted in last weeks Virginia primary.<br />I had to present my Virginia drivers license.<br />I had to confirm that the address on my license was current.<br /><br />Come to think of it, I've had to do that as long as I've been voting.  Not just in Virginia either, I had to do that while I lived in Pennsylvania too.<br /><br />I should sue both states for ongoing discrimination and voter disenfranchisement against Caucasian males born within the United States.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I have never had to anywhere I lived (NYS, IA, IL)... Just sign on the line: "Yep, that is me."

I do agree. What is the harm?

I agree with what Tom said; further, I believe regardless of whether or not hispanics have IDs, the question is whether Texas provides them a legitimate and fair way to obtain identification.

1.) Are Texas' rules for obtaining a state-issued photo id discriminatory?

2.) Is the $16 fee Texas charges for a non-drivers license state-issued photo id a barrier?

I call them out separate because one could argue that it's the fee itself that is discriminatory, even if the policy is not, and the state could let this happen by paying for IDs for low-income, eligible people instead of charging the $16 fee.

I somewhat see the validity in the argument that the fee would constitute a modern-day poll tax if it's required to vote, as that is the resulting effect, even if its not intended that way. I'd be ok if the DOJ said Texas had to pay for IDs for people below $__ income level to implement the law.

Edited by BlueFire

What if everybody had to show the Federal issues Photo ID to vote, would you support that?

No. States get to determine voter qualifications, not the federal government. A federal ID to participate in something managed at the state level would be unconstitutional.

I somewhat see the validity in the argument that the fee would constitute a modern-day poll tax if it's required to vote, as that is the resulting effect, even if its not intended that way. I'd be ok if the DOJ said Texas had to pay for IDs for people below $__ income level to implement the law.

I thought that (poll tax) even before I got through your post. Simple solution: a voter photo ID that's free of charge.

The REAL issue here is more likely that it discriminates against illegal aliens, because they're reticent to put themselves within the system for fear of deportation. The sane solution to that, of course, is to say "Why are you voting? You're an illegal alien!" But somehow, THAT'S considered racist.