What about Demetrius Bell?

Maybe we could offer him a two year pay to play offer that pays him big time if he stays on the field. Motivate him. offer him equal or better than the offers coming in at the end of the season.

The shame of this is, if he was not injury prone we would not be having this conversation. Because he would be the long term answer over there and get paid. Damn you Bell!

I hope we can resign him though.

I think that the other teams that might take an interest will be ones who have a first/second year guy who might be a starter next year but could step in if Bell went down. Y'know like Hairston lol.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like bell will be allowed to walk. The oft-injured tackle is hitting free agency in a very good year for decent offensive tackles. Besides San Diego's Jared Gaither/Marcus Mcneil the rest of the tackle free agents are moderate to sub par; essentially signing one of them is the equivalent of starting Hairston or Levitre on the outside. What this means for the Bills is that Bell will get a few good looks from other teams this year and might get a fat contract from one. Furthermore, Bell has been stink eyed by Gailey in the last two years. There was no guarantee he would be starting at the beginning of this past season and Gailey specifically called him out on his bad play. From interviews I never got the impression that he was happy with this kind of motivation but that could be a function of being asked by interviewers how getting yelled at improved his play. I think he wants to walk and would only be swayed by a decent contract, which he won't get from the Bills because of his injury history. I don't think he will accept a weaker contract from the Bills and would prefer to play somewhere else if a smaller contract is his only option.

Methinks things about Bell.

It's really a tricky situation. Bell played very good at the start of the year, but you can't open up the checkbook and make a large long-term commitment with his injury history. It will be interesting to see what he is offered on the market.

Even if Bell leaves, I do NOT think Nix will take a LT in the first round. His past history on grading linemen has been excellent - getting great value with pickups like Rinehart, Urbik and Pears. I think once again he will look to the waiver wire or later rounds for someone to compete with Hairston for the starting job. Don't discount Hairston either, remember he was only a 4th round pick who was called on to step into a starting role and performed admirably considering the circumstances.

we do?

Shall we risk not having a starting LT? Hairston can swing as he develops into his own. But no Bell means we must find one to replace him with and he needs to be ready. Where do we derive that with FA thin good sir?

we do?

Shall we risk not having a starting LT? Hairston can swing as he develops into his own. But no Bell means we must find one to replace him with and he needs to be ready. Where do we derive that with FA thin good sir?

Depending on what happens in FA, they could draft a LT at 10 for half the price. Or take their chances with Hairston.

we do?

Maybe we will get lucky and a team like Philly will deal us their all-pro LT for a couple of middling draft picks?

Shall we risk not having a starting LT?

Where do we derive that with FA thin good sir?

If you read my above post, we will most likely draft a LT in the 3rd/4th round to come in to compete with Hairston. You're acting like Bell is a lock to start 16 games, when in reality he's a huge risk.

If you read my above post, we will most likely draft a LT in the 3rd/4th round to come in to compete with Hairston. You're acting like Bell is a lock to start 16 games, when in reality he's a huge risk.

Sir, i am misunderstood then. I also consider him a huge risk. My real concern is that we start Hairston and then have no back up plan. Or we could slide Mr Andy out there again. As i did say this Bell situation is bunching my panties up. well not those words. but you guys get my drift i hope.

Hairston is not yet a qualified starting LT and some say he is really more suited to the rt position.

I would like to see us sign Bell. $5 million is quite a bargain for a young talented LT with upside. Plus that would solidify the line and allow us to be more flexible with draft and free agency, not to mention continuity. If we let Bell walk that almost guarantees first round pick will be offensive tackle

He`s starting to be a good ofensive-lineman, people are now seeing how good of a player he is. Back then he was not good. he got too many penalties, but that was when he was a rookie. Now he is a veteran OL and is improving every month. It would be a difficult choice if they are tempting to sign him.

Another intangible about Bell is that he seems to be a very normal guy. You do not hear anything negative about him, he doesm't mouth off, just a guy who comes to play. I will miss him much more than, for instance, Marshawn.

I agree that we need OL depth but I think Buddy is going to say goodbye to the perennially injured guys this year. I don't see him re-signing Bell, Roscoe or even keeping Easley around unless he shines in camp early.

I base this simply on his tone of voice at the presser where you could tell he's fed up with guys that aren't around for the team at the end of the season when teams with durability and consistency are making playoff runs.

I think he might draft an LT in the first round this year, use Hairston as the floater and Bell is gone.

Personally I think Hairston could do the job. We ran the ball well last year and our pass protection seemed decent when he was in there.

I agree that we need OL depth but I think Buddy is going to say goodbye to the perennially injured guys this year. I don't see him re-signing Bell, Roscoe or even keeping Easley around unless he shines in camp early.

I base this simply on his tone of voice at the presser where you could tell he's fed up with guys that aren't around for the team at the end of the season when teams with durability and consistency are making playoff runs.

I think he might draft an LT in the first round this year, use Hairston as the floater and Bell is gone.

Personally I think Hairston could do the job. We ran the ball well last year and our pass protection seemed decent when he was in there.

Agree....especially with drafting a LT in the first round

Good post.

I also perceive that Nix has reached the breaking point with injury-prone players.

In his public moments he seems to make comments that indicate this… even regarding Merriman he's been more cryptic than supportive.

Have mixed feelings about retaining Bell. On one hand, he has been injured a lot. On the other hand, he's still young and Bills have to retain their own since we will never be a top free agent destination. The cycle of letting good players walk and trying to replace them in the draft has prevented the Bills from building a playoff contender.

I think we already have his replacement in Hairston.

The Bills have to roll the dice on this one in my opinion. Let Bell walk and get overpaid somewhere else. Meanwhile we can draft LT depth and trust Hairston to exceed what he did last year which wasn't too bad.