What about Demetrius Bell?

His main issue since being drafted has been a lack of strength. He has been injured most offseasons and hasn't really been able to work on it with trainers because of this. Last off season was the first one where he really could have worked with coaches on strength and condition but was lost due to lockout. This one could be his first real chance since came into league (if signs before draft) to actually work on fixing this with a teams strength and conditioning coaches.

If he ever improves his strength proportionally he could be a very goodLtt for years, and could help him avoid some of the injuries hes had so far in future.

I personally would love to see him resigned, but only if injuries are reason, and its not a lack of work effort ioff seasonon. Wdon'tnt need another player like Jason Peters, but I have not heard anyone say he is lazy or not willing to work at it yet, so I'm for giving benefit of the doubt here, and hopping that we are able to sign him if isnt too high a price.

Edited by rstencel

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it really tough to evaluate the Bill's O-line. On one hand as a team we gave up the lowest amount of sacks in the league which is great. Bell graded well (in the games he was played) by some advanced metrics.

On the other hand I feel the o-line benefited the use of a lot of 3 step drops(short pass plays), TE staying into block and the fact we were so effective running screen plays. But there were times this years when the bills were down and the opposing rush ends were pinning their ears back and it didn't seem like our Tackles including Bell, Hairston and Pears, could hold their blocks long enough.

Very good post!

The Bills OL, while not great, is much better than it has been in years. Fitz and the 3 step drops were part of this, I agree. Jackson also enters into the equation. He sees a hole very quickly and is strong enough to get through it. But not to be overlooked was the play of the Guards. Levitre, as I have said many times, is an ideal Guard given the rule changes. He is a fine pass blocker. Both Urbik and Rinehart also held up well. Before this season, when can you remember the Bills having 2 good Guards? I remember when Bledsoe was here and we had a good RG for 8 or so games (a free agent from the Bears, can't remember his name), but his body fell completely apart and then he was awful.

Hairston gained much needed experience, and Pears was at least average. Bell? He is good (not great) when he plays. Often he is able to make up for his lack of strength (which was always a problem) with his better than average agility. If he walks, there will obviously be a need at LT, and these guys are extremely hard to get. But I fear that even if he stays, he might not be strong enough to hold down the position without getting hurt yet again.

LT will be a tough decision for Nix.

From what I read they served their 4 Games in weeks 14-17 last Season...

It is strange that the Skins would bring Bell in...I can't imagine he's going to get a better deal than The Bills offered to be a RT in Washington...Seems like a desperation move by his Agent to get him some attention...

I'm not just saying this because I'm a Bills Fan...But Bell's best move now would definitely be to re-sign with The Bills...At least for a year to see if he can re-gain some career momentum...I think Kalil, Martin, and Adams will be Starting LT's as Rookies, or shortly thereafter...The opportunities as a Starting LT are drying up for DB REAL fast...This may very well work out in The Bills favor... B-)

The problem Bell has, is that every team is in the same situation as us but with the downside of not knowing him as a person or his work habit. Everything is possible in life, so he might get a contract that far exceeds expectations and reason but teams won't line up to sign him and make him a high paid LT with health issues.

I hope this is the case and he can come back. If he receives an offer I hope he gives Buddy the chance to match it.

I like Hairston and I think I like him more for the right side of the line, but when Gailey was interviewed he said he liked Hairston but that he would prefer not to pencil him as a starter just yet, in a way of saying that he still not ready.

Edited by Fixxxer