For the Russell Wilson Fans

jocap55

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would love to see the Bills pick Russell Wilson. He's got a strong arm, good accuracy, ability to buy time in the pocket or move the chains with his feet.

This is what it's all about. If you can't get first downs, you can't score. Put Wilson on the field with the weapons we already have, and you've created a whole new set of problems for opposing defenses.

• 2 weeks later...

The Bills are quickly ramping up the QB visits as now word could be coming out that former Wisconsin and NC State QB Russell Wilson is in town for a visit. This is all based on a tweet from the aforementioned Mr. Wilson saying he just landed in Buffalo. Now while we all love our dear city to death most wouldn’t think of it as an ideal vacation spot in the middle of the NFL Draft season.

Wilson brings playmaking ability from the QB spot with both his arm and his legs. He’s a bit of an unconventional QB and has drawn comparisons to a certain former Bills QB who once wore the number seven and had a brand of cereal named after him. He has more than enough arm strength to make all the necessary throws and his ability to escape the pocket and make plays happen is up there with the tops in this class.

What you have to worry about with Wilson is mainly his height. If he was two inches taller he’s a first or second round pick but as it is questions exist about how well he could perform in the league where every player is bigger, and faster. He has to be able to see and find the passing lanes in order to make it work at his size. RD4 perhaps?

Edited by Astrobot

I'm a fan of Wilson's. He wasn't on my radar a month or 2 ago, but the more I looked into him, the more I liked. His height (under 6') is clearly a big negative, but he has a lot of traits that make you think he's got a shot to be a player.

With D Lineman only getting bigger and taller, his height should be a pretty big concern, but once you get into Round 4 or 5 I really like the idea of taking Wilson. Tyler Thigpen is far from a solid backup, so I can see why the Bills would be taking a look at Wilson.

I'm a fan of Wilson's. He wasn't on my radar a month or 2 ago, but the more I looked into him, the more I liked. His height (under 6') is clearly a big negative, but he has a lot of traits that make you think he's got a shot to be a player.

With D Lineman only getting bigger and taller, his height should be a pretty big concern, but once you get into Round 4 or 5 I really like the idea of taking Wilson. Tyler Thigpen is far from a solid backup, so I can see why the Bills would be taking a look at Wilson.

Me, too. I like Wilson, AJ Kinne, and Witt. Hope we bring in a QB or two. Osweiler visited too, but I don't think Wilson would be allowed to stand on his shoulders.

Just saw the tweet as well!! That makes me pretty happy...I would LOVE for the bills to take a later round (4th or after) chance on Wilson. He's smart, athletic, grounded and has a great arm...if he was a few inches taller he'd be a 1st round pick! GO BILLS!!!

With D Lineman only getting bigger and taller, his height should be a pretty big concern

The Olinemen in front of him are equally of concern in terms of their height (and his ability to see down field).

I know he's an outlier, but Drew Brees at 6'0" has proven that shorter QB's can get it done. Wilson is an inch shorter than Drew, but there is hope. In the 4th-5th round range though I'd be happy if Russell turned into a quality backup. This team sorely needs a backup QB.

The positives on Russell that jump out to me are:

1. athleticism

2. ability to move around in the pocket

3. nice over the top delivery (looks like a ptcher delivering the ball downfield)

4. ability to throw on the move

5. intangibles, seems like a hardworker and good guy

Would love to see this guy in Bills Camp come summertime.

Wilson brings playmaking ability from the QB spot with both his arm and his legs. He’s a bit of an unconventional QB and has drawn comparisons to a certain former Bills QB who once wore the number seven and had a brand of cereal named after him. He has more than enough arm strength to make all the necessary throws and his ability to escape the pocket and make plays happen is up there with the tops in this class.

Actually sounds like a different former Bills QB who once wore the number seven but planted trees rather than pushed cereal.

(mostly kidding, I don't know anything about him.)

Ralph said he wants 'runners'. -This kid runs like a thoroughbred on PCP. I thought Wilson looked damn good running a pro-style offense at NC state, but I had no clue of the athlete he was until he went to Wisconsin. This kid learned a completely different system in THREE WEEKS. He went from throwing accurately over big linemnen in the ACC, to throwing even more accurately over even bigger linemen in the Big-ten. How do you knock a guy that goes from from ACC wannabe to Big-ten Champion in under A YEAR?

You don't. You DRAFT him.

Draft a quarterback every year! Quarterbacks are typically long term projects that develop over the years....many greats were mid or late round picks. They pay off big if they develop well....especIally a kid as smart as Wilson. It really pays off to have another smart set of eyes on the sidelines also... How many back up or mid grade QB's become coordinators, head coaches, or QB coaches... If ur gonna have a back up, make him an intelligent, interested, eager guy with a ton of upside... Not some idiot athlete that only has physical tools (Vince young, Tebow, etc)

Draft a quarterback every year! Quarterbacks are typically long term projects that develop over the years....many greats were mid or late round picks. They pay off big if they develop well....especIally a kid as smart as Wilson. It really pays off to have another smart set of eyes on the sidelines also... How many back up or mid grade QB's become coordinators, head coaches, or QB coaches... If ur gonna have a back up, make him an intelligent, interested, eager guy with a ton of upside... Not some idiot athlete that only has physical tools (Vince young, Tebow, etc)

What makes you think Tebow is an idiot?

The Bills are quickly ramping up the QB visits as now word could be coming out that former Wisconsin and NC State QB Russell Wilson is in town for a visit. This is all based on a tweet from the aforementioned Mr. Wilson saying he just landed in Buffalo. Now while we all love our dear city to death most wouldn’t think of it as an ideal vacation spot in the middle of the NFL Draft season.

What you have to worry about with Wilson is mainly his height. If he was two inches taller he’s a first or second round pick but as it is questions exist about how well he could perform in the league where every player is bigger, and faster. He has to be able to see and find the passing lanes in order to make it work at his size. RD4 perhaps?

would be a good pick-up in the middle rounds

as a fsu fan russell wilson would tear us up every year. i chalked it up to 'luck', 'crappy defense', 'whatever'... but after a few years of him doing it, i begrudgingly admitted that he is really good.

did you see his stat line from last year (or for that matter, overall)? ridiculous!

2011	225	309	3175	72.8	10.28	66	33	4	22	191.8
2010	308	527	3563	58.4	6.76	60	28	14	39	127.5
2009	224	378	3027	59.3	8.01	80	31	11	30	147.8
2008	150	275	1955	54.5	7.11	67	17	1	25	133.9