Mike Schoop explains himself regarding "rudeness"

bbb

That's the point. Nobody cares. It's just a way of saying Hello. I say it when I pass people on the street way more than I say Hi.

I don't think you people get that.

Who do you listen to and like on sports radio, MB?

Petros and Money are my favorites, I would say. Jim Rome is great, and of course, the hated Cowherd. Others I hear often are The Loose Cannons (Steve Hartman, Vic The Brick Jacobs, & Pat O'Brien), Darren Smith from San Diego, JT The Brick, and various other guys with names that elude me.

I don't think it is out of line to say "How are you, I really think that Peyton Manning should...". But when the caller greets, and waits for a reply, that's not doing anyone any favors. Bad radio, and though people can argue all they want, the professionals are on my side.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it is out of line to say "How are you, I really think that Peyton Manning should...". But when the caller greets, and waits for a reply, that's not doing anyone any favors. Bad radio, and though people can argue all they want, the professionals are on my side.

I completely agree! I find incredibly annoying hearing "Hey, how's it goin?" "Hey, how you doin?". "Hey, how are ya?". If I were these guys, I'd ask, "you mean since the last guy asked me thirty seconds ago, or since the first caller asked an hour ago?"

The things is, people say things without any real interest in the response. It is the automated response which I find annoying. Good morning gentlemen and into the call works for me. Requiring a talk-show host to answer those questions over and over every 30 seconds for every caller annoys the crap out of me. My next favorite one is, "and I'll take my answer off the air." I completely get why that annoys Schopp. He has no opportunity to follow up or discuss the caller's point.

Guess I'm in the minority with you!

Edited by BuffaloBob

I completely agree! I find incredibly annoying hearing "Hey, how's it goin?" "Hey, how you doin?". "Hey, how are ya?". If I were these guys, I'd ask, "you mean since the last guy asked me thirty seconds ago, or since the first caller asked an hour ago?"

The things is, people say things without any real interest in the response. It is the automated response which I find annoying. Good morning gentlemen and into the call works for me. Requiring a talk-show host to answer those questions over and over every 30 seconds for every caller annoys the crap out of me. My next favorite one is, "and I'll take my answer off the air." I completely get why that annoys Schopp. He has no opportunity to follow up or discuss the caller's point.

Thanks.

I certainly don't advocate rudeness (I think Schoop is rude), but I don't need to see each fan shake the hand of the ticket-taker at the gate to RW Stadium ("How are you sir? We are here to see the game today, may I present to you my ticket?"). Maybe Beerball does that? He is quite polite you know...

Edited by Matthews' Bag

What don't you get that it is a form of Hello? It's not a real question. :wallbash:

Petros and Money are my favorites, I would say. Jim Rome is great, and of course, the hated Cowherd. Others I hear often are The Loose Cannons (Steve Hartman, Vic The Brick Jacobs, & Pat O'Brien), Darren Smith from San Diego, JT The Brick, and various other guys with names that elude me.

I'm not a fan of the yelling that I think it's Petros does. But, I like when they are on Adam Carolla's podcast because they are friends from the old radio station.

If you like Rome, you have had to hear him talk about the fact that nobody cares how you are doing when they ask how are you doing? He's shocked and hates when anybody answers seriously. He says my father could have just died, but I'm still going to answer Good.

While Schoop may not be the best, I too hate phone-call driven sports talk radio...the vast majority of the callers are either mis-informed, or just repeating the same thing over and over...I can feel Schoops frustration. I really hope, for his (Schoop) and our sakes, they don't have Schoop taking calls after Bills games...to me, that is where his melt-down with the callers started, years ago...

btw- I don't dislike Riter at all, but I just don't hear the brilliance that so many attach to him. What am I missing?

Yup, I hate phone driven sports talk, too. The weird thing with Schoop is that he gets all pissed off when they are talking about a subject and nobody calls. I don't get why they need calls.....Adam Carolla was just talking about how stupid PDs are - they kept telling him "roll calls" when he did Loveline. But, he wouldn't - he'd get into long conversations and riffs. I can't stand when it's just an assembly line of calls.

When have you heard Brad? I saw on twitter that he's subbing for Schoop tomorrow, so you can hear him on with Bulldog.

As opposed to the countless times i have heard Schopp cut callers loose when they disagree with him? Just so he can get the last word. Im sure those callers would like the opportunity to address his point as well. Meh.

Schoop and bulldog show is AWFUL....once a month i turn them on and every single time (with the exceptionof the nhl trade deadline show) they are talking non-sports....movies....music....etc...

the morning crew is fine.

I'm sorry, if you can't respond when someone asks you how you are, you're a douche plain and simple. I can't stand pricks and he is probably one of the biggest ones around. What's hilarious is when he hosts his card collecting show on Saturdays mornings. He is a completely different person and is very friendly. He just knows that his station has a monopoly on sports talk during drive time.

Personally, I rarely listen to the radio anyways. Podcasts are the way to go. No commercials and no awful fan calls (the whiner line makes me want to stab my eyes out). It just sucks because Buffalo teams are rarely talked about. However, I suspect since WGR has the Bills now, Shoop will have to change his tune a bit. But there is little doubt that Buffalo has minor league radio.

Asking "how ya doing?" isn't being polite it's insincere because you don't really give a damn. It's used as a salutation but in fact is actually meaningless drivel. What the hell ever happened to simply "Hello" then get on to your point.

Schopp should just implement Tom Bauerle's technique. You ask "How ya doing" you get immediately disconnected.

As opposed to the countless times i have heard Schopp cut callers loose when they disagree with him? Just so he can get the last word. Im sure those callers would like the opportunity to address his point as well. Meh.

Basically what I was thinking. And then he will let someone talk for 3 minutes about nothing even closely relevant to the topic they are discussing.

He cuts people off when they disagree with what he thinks and the callers point is better than his own.

Schoop doesn't suck because of the "how are you today" BS. It's the non-sports related drafts, it's his disdain for the NFL product, it's the appearance of little to no preparation for a 4 hour show, etc...

PS I hear more educated NFL football talk on the FAN590 out of Toronto than I get from WGR. How embarrassing is that for the Bills flagship station?

Edited by LabattBlue

The emabarrassing thing is that now with WGR being the official station of the Bills, Schopp is going to be the host of the official Buffalo Bills postgame show. You know, the same Schopp who says he isn't really a big football fan yet somehow knows every decision a coach should have made. 20+ stations are going to be airing this blowhard after every game. That to me is sad.

For the Schoop haters, today would be a good day to listen to the show (Brad subbing for Mike the next 2 days):

Christopher Parker ‏ @Bulldogwgr

Retweet

Stevie Johnson, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Rob Ray, Jerry Sullivan, Paul Hamilton all join @BradRiter and me today. Show is still only 4 hours long.

Whenever I hear about Schoop being rude, I always think of the Coach.

He was one of my favorite sports talk hosts. That guy would hang up on anyone.

If anything, I think Schoop is to polite. He lets all sorts of idiots go on and on.

People who do not know what they are talking about should not be given air time when I am driving home from work, that is what internet message boards are for.

Whenever I hear about Schoop being rude, I always think of the Coach.

He was one of my favorite sports talk hosts. That guy would hang up on anyone.

If anything, I think Schoop is to polite. He lets all sorts of idiots go on and on.

People who do not know what they are talking about should not be given air time when I am driving home from work, that is what internet message boards are for.

Coach was such a blowhard, but I gotta say, more than anyone over the last 20 years on Buffalo sports radio, the guy knows football. He had a lot of axes to grind, but he knew the game...I never felt dumber after listening to him. He talked about things that few others are qualified to talk about, with any real knowledge.

For the Schoop haters, today would be a good day to listen to the show (Brad subbing for Mike the next 2 days):

Christopher Parker ‏ @Bulldogwgr

Retweet

Stevie Johnson, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Rob Ray, Jerry Sullivan, Paul Hamilton all join @BradRiter and me today. Show is still only 4 hours long.

I will listen...want to hear some Sabres talk.

Hello Cantankerous, how are you?

If people on this forum greeted each new poster in a thread, it would be ridiculous. That is the equivalent of what people are doing on the radio. (I anticipate people saying "that would be great, so much more civil" etc., but it wouldn't. It would get annoying). In fact, maybe the polite people here should try that, and see how it wears on them? Every new poster, in every thread. I'm certain even the most polite here would eventually stop that foolishness, but it would be fun to see.

I listen to lots of sports radio. You can hear the annoyance in the voice, and can feel them pushing to get things going, be it JT the Brick, Dan Patrick, or whoever (I know Schoop is a bad example because he is so disliked here). I know it seems small in individual cases, but over and over it's not good radio.

The caller is not there to have a personal conversation, they are in a forum, and there to give an opinion.

Almost as annoying as Using Bold Text to make a point!

:wallbash:

This is EXACTLY what I'm sayin'!

Most of the time when I turn away from WGR it is because those morons are talking. and talking. and talking. I don't mind hearing "OK" 30 times in an hour. What I do mind hearing over and over is shopp and bulldog re-stating their points. Or deliberately missing a caller's point, talking over them to re-state their original point. And they don't think people turn the station when they talk about such things as a "soup draft" or some other such silliness.

Edited by please stop the pain