Mike Schoop explains himself regarding "rudeness"

bbb

The part about not wanting to waste a second answering How are ya? is ridiculous and he says that even his colleagues seem to think so. Bulldog has gotten in on that, but seems to have backed down lately.

What they don't seem to grasp is that simple idea that when two people "meet" - they exchange salutations - sometimes it's Hi or Hello, but more often than not, it's How ya doing or How are ya?

Nobody cares how you're really doing - you just say good, and move on. A person calling in may be nervous or even if not, they will still feel the need to greet you.....Saying good wastes less than a second. Whereas I've heard them stew for half a minute because the guy would have the audacity to ask such a stupid question:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/other/article748321.ece

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't want to waste a second, eh?  

That's as stupid and disingenuous as anything that ever came out of that lying a-hole's mouth.  

(How many HOURS have those two morons wasted talking about date movies, or 'milk-in-bags', etc.?)

Edited by The Senator

"People ask me why I'm not friendlier when the call starts. [saying] 'How are you?' is a challenge for me because there's like a clock ticking in my head. If there's three seconds or whatever of that kind of thing, that's plenty of time for people to change the station, and that's my obsession."

The guy doesnt want to take three seconds to say hi in case listeners turn to another station. How many people turn to another station because of his bad attitude?

I think there is a simpler explanation as to why he is so rude... he's an ass.

I think he is right about not wanting to answer "How are you".

Schoop is NOT ALONE in his disdain for this foolishness. Radio hosts across the country can't stand it, and it really slows down shows. I think Schoop is a jerk, but he is right about this. It is a drag on a show, and completely unnecessary. It happens continuously, caller after caller, and often the idiot caller actually extends the greeting into a personal conversation. You never know which guy will do it, but many will and it really needs to be nipped at the bud.

And how many callers need to be told "We are having a great time tonight, what's your question?" Really? OVER AND OVER, all night long?

BAD RADIO!!!

It isn't the proper time to exchange pleasantries.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Golly yes, considering how usually every second of sports talk radio (or talk radio in general) is one golden drop of wisdom and reasoned discourse after another, I can completely understand why a host would go out of his way to show disdain for his callers and refuse to engage them.

<_<

Schoop is NOT ALONE in his disdain for this foolishness. Radio hosts across the country can't stand it, and it really slows down shows. I think Schoop is a jerk, but he is right about this. It is a drag on a show, and completely unnecessary. It happens continuously, caller after caller, and often the idiot caller actually extends the greeting into a personal conversation. You never know which guy will do it, but many will and it really needs to be nipped at the bud.

And how many callers need to be told "We are having a great time tonight, what's your question?" Really? OVER AND OVER, all night long?

BAD RADIO!!!

i have strong feelings on this subject. i used to listen to those two frequently, streaming it online since i'm not in the market. i haven't listened to it, not even for a second, in about two years (not even the audio vault). i made a conscious decision to boycott the show completely, which wasn't easy to do since i'm always craving a bills fix. two years later i'm really glad i gave it up.

it got to the point where i couldn't stomach schopp's elitism and arrogance. interestingly enough, howard stern has a similar attitude. he'll hang up on a caller and become impatient in an instant. but stern isn't arrogant, in fact he puts himself down all the time. while i understand the philosophy of wanting every second to count that's not the real issue here. schopp is an elitist who thinks he has a brilliant perspective on sports. but as far as i can tell he doesn't even like sports for its competitive nature or the technicalities and strategies of the game. he's more concerned with collecting memorabilia and with being a statistician. he's a fake intellectual, his diction dripping with disdain for those whom he obviously considers his peasant listeners. many callers are morons, but most are probably nervous and not used to talking on the air. why not give them a shot -- help them bring their points out rather than cut them off!

his notion about not wanting to lose listeners can backfire, at least in my case. but he must be doing something right; clearly his ratings are good enough for him to remain employed. if there were more competition, i'm sure he'd be off the air before long. the trouble is WGR has a stranglehold on the market -- he's not going anywhere.

I haven't listen to Schopp in years and never will. I had my fill of the arrogant and shallow phoney when he was in Rochester. Love Simon and crew and I like Bulldog when he's not playing second fiddle idiot Greek Chorus to Schopp. When he does the show by himself it's far better. My posts have been consistent ... not listening to Schopp is the best remedy.

I haven't listen to Schopp in years and never will. I had my fill of the arrogant and shallow phoney when he was in Rochester. Love Simon and crew and I like Bulldog when he's not playing second fiddle idiot Greek Chorus to Schopp. When he does the show by himself it's far better. My posts have been consistent ... not listening to Schopp is the best remedy.

Well put. To be honest, I generally avoid sports talk, since I am only interested in actual news rather than bloviation, so Schopp is to my mind less of a specific problem than part of something larger to avoid. I will admit to snickering, however, when he tried to say in that article that his audition with ESPN failed because he was too high energy. Keep telling yourself that, Mike.

Was supportive for many years of station.. It was initially a option to listening to Toronto Sports radio for me . Did get turned off over time for many of the same reason many others have sited. The arrogant edge that is present is simply something I do not care for anywhere , anytime, thankfully with radio I have the option of turning it off and have done so. Seems there is no point voicing any contrary opinion, it is not listened to. What is unfortunate is if this is to continue and listeners fall away, it likely will not be to long that a change in format will be effected and Buffalo and area sports minded people will lose this local sports radio option. Don't see how you allow it to continue Andy .

BAD RADIO!!!

It is never an improper time to exchange pleasantries.

BAD RADIO!!!

I'm throwing the BS flag on this one. "Often the idiot caller actually extends the greeting into a personal conversation." Really? The horror! God forbid two individuals should have a "personal conversation". I have a news flash for you. ALL conversations are personal. Listening to two people display courtesy to one another is a rarity these days, I'll give you that, but it is never wrong under any circumstances. I listen to Sirius NFL radio all the time and the hosts and callers often know one another from previous calls. They exchange pleasantries, talk about family and friends and then get on with the football discussion. Nothing in the world wrong with that and it often adds some humor to the discussion and makes the conversation more "personal" and interesting.

What an garbage piece of journalism on the part of the writer/reporter. Sadly, as a minor media market, we're stuck with inferior media in WNY, written and radio. Schopp is an exemplar of the problem because he's just impossible like, to respect, or lend credibility to. His inability to recognize, first and foremost, listeners are customers and he alienates more than he draws. I'm sure he'd point to whatever awards the station wins but its easy to win awards in a minor market when you have no competiton and hence a captive audience that often finds itself hating the option but having nowhere else to turn. I think this award they always tout is based on the marketshare you have. Well, if you're the only sports station, you should have all the "sports station" market right?!!!!

I agree, callers such and I ALWAYS, without fail, change the channel when any radio station takes a call. I don't care what Joe Blow from Buffalo has to say and I long ago stopped listening to Schopp's distain and hatred toward callers he feels have an inferior intellect to him. However, and this is the issue I have, if you're format is to take calls, then do it graciously and professionally. This is where Schopp becomes hated. We all hate our some aspects of our jobs but in most cases, we're mature enough to separate the tasks from the people we work with, not treating them like the problem. The problem is they take calls, not the callers. Treating them like garbage isn't a cure for the problem. It's incongruous. His time argument isn't worthy of detailed reponse given the myriad of time they waste on non-sports topics.

Do you bump into someone at the store and immediately say "I think the BIlls suck" or do you precede that with "Hi"? Why does he think that the rules of common conversation don't apply to him. I bet this week they get a lot of calls that go something like this... "Hi Mike, how are you." In fact, I hope all callers start doing it as a standard!!!

The entire article was Schopp coming up with a thinly veiled justification for his self-agrandizing attitude and petulent behavior. If I want an intellectual conversation with someone who won't act like a child and be condescending and walk away (or hand up in Schopp's case), I'm certainly not turning to sports radio.

What I laugh about is how serious he takes a job that in the scope of the world is childish and worthless... sports. It's fun and a distraction from the real world, not something to put too much stock in to the point where you become a compete and total a-hole.

Come on people, because he's got a microphone doesn't mean he actually is better than anyone else. In the real world where we all exist, collecting baseball cards and playing strat-o-matic gets you shunned by 99% of the populace, no matter how smart you are!!! The other 1% shun him because he went to St. John Fisher, which we should use to question his self-righteous and self-anointed intellect.

From one of the best bands ever...

They call me Mr. Know it All...I will not compromise

I will not be told what to do, I will not step aside....

They call me Mr. Know it All, I have no time to waste....

My mouth it spews pure intellect, and I've such elegant taste......

They call me Mr. Know it All, I sup the aged wine......

Oh I could tell such wonderful tales..... if I should find the time....

I must be Mr. Know it All, for ideas come in bounds......

I am Mr. Know it All, so spread the word around....

They call me Mr. Know it All, Ia m so eloquent .....

perfection is my middle name, and whatever rhymes with eloquent.....

Edited by zonabb

Best part is, the guy probably makes what,$50,000 a year? Sports talk host on an AM radio station in a dead city? He really has reason to be cocky.

Howard Simon and Schoop & the lapdog are clearly the absolute bottom of the barrel of sports talk shows. Total amateur hour. They should consider themselves extremely lucky to be employed. However, there is a point to be made about a caller wasting time at the begining of a call. Howard Stern (back when he was good) used to always harp on "get to the point". Calls are much better when the caller comes straight to the point without an introduction. "Hello, how ya doin'" is unnecessary and there's nothing worse than "the reason I was calling was to talk about..." just skip the intro and get to the point!

I'm throwing the BS flag on this one. "Often the idiot caller actually extends the greeting into a personal conversation." Really? The horror! God forbid two individuals should have a "personal conversation". I have a news flash for you. ALL conversations are personal. Listening to two people display courtesy to one another is a rarity these days, I'll give you that, but it is never wrong under any circumstances. I listen to Sirius NFL radio all the time and the hosts and callers often know one another from previous calls. They exchange pleasantries, talk about family and friends and then get on with the football discussion. Nothing in the world wrong with that and it often adds some humor to the discussion and makes the conversation more "personal" and interesting.

Well said. What's wrong with affable conversation?

BAD RADIO!!!

I agree. Kornheiser has always been the same way. I hate the inane question as well..loks like we are in the minority here.

Sports radio in Buffalo has become a joke. And it's not even like it's a question of rudeness exactly: Art Wander would scream and shout with the best of them. The problem is that Schopp just comes off as an aloof douchebag on the air, a guy who barely cares about the teams and whose stuffiness becomes unbearable because of it.