Nix and fans both are scared to do anything.

'We have a clear need at (insert need here...) But won't reach'. Why not? Great teams take chances. We will be active in free agency...but we usually wait till the big time guys are gone and get mid tier crap.

Anyone else of this chicken poop way of running this team? And fans, I am sick of these guys drinking the Nix/Ralph cheap ass koolaid. Look spend on some top guys, reach some in the draft and take a damn chance.

What has all this mid tier crap and stupid draft picks gotten us? We are now in the 3rd year of the '3 year plan' that we were told was the deal when Nix took over and we really aren't any closer to being in the playoffs than with the previous regime. We have not seen a great return on two drafts already so I don't have a ton of faith in Nix and his drafting. What are we taking at 10, another RB or a CB saying 'best value' or 'was tops on our board' when ignoring clear needs?

We are now the only NFL teams in the new century not to make the playoffs, Houston and Detroit have even made it. I am sick of the lip service from OBD, its WAY past time to start putting a winner on the damn football field.

I've got faith in Nix. Even if he's not signing players left and right, overall, he's done a better job than anyone else here in the last 20 years. His draft last year was strong. None of the picks were "reaches" and it worked out better than the years with reaching picks (like Maybin). If he can stockpile some decent WRs, DEs & OLBs this year through draft and FA, The Bills will have a serious shot at a Wild Card playoff game.

I've got faith in Nix. Even if he's not signing players left and right, overall, he's done a better job than anyone else here in the last 20 years. His draft last year was strong. None of the picks were "reaches" and it worked out better than the years with reaching picks (like Maybin). If he can stockpile some decent WRs, DEs & OLBs this year through draft and FA, The Bills will have a serious shot at a Wild Card playoff game.

I'm not sold on Nix ... yet. This is year 3 for him and Gailey, and its go time. I expect to see marked improvement this season and end up over .500. And I don't give a rats hairy ass about excuses.

The honeymoon period is over. It's time to show us the baby.

'We have a clear need at (insert need here...) But won't reach'. Why not? Great teams take chances. We will be active in free agency...but we usually wait till the big time guys are gone and get mid tier crap.

Anyone else of this chicken poop way of running this team? And fans, I am sick of these guys drinking the Nix/Ralph cheap ass koolaid. Look spend on some top guys, reach some in the draft and take a damn chance.

What has all this mid tier crap and stupid draft picks gotten us? We are now in the 3rd year of the '3 year plan' that we were told was the deal when Nix took over and we really aren't any closer to being in the playoffs than with the previous regime. We have not seen a great return on two drafts already so I don't have a ton of faith in Nix and his drafting. What are we taking at 10, another RB or a CB saying 'best value' or 'was tops on our board' when ignoring clear needs?

We are now the only NFL teams in the new century not to make the playoffs, Houston and Detroit have even made it. I am sick of the lip service from OBD, its WAY past time to start putting a winner on the damn football field.

We aren't a great team yet. Gambling in the draft isn't a good strategy for rebuilding this team. We need solid picks that will make this team better. I do agree though that we need to find difference makers in free agency. I have beat this drum for a while. I understand not wanting to over pay for certain free agents but we do need difference makers. I think Nix's plan is to look at difference makers and attempt to acquire ones that can be had at a good value as opposed to over paying. I am encouraged that this year Nix says we will be more active in FA and is looking for those types of players. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Edited by PDaDdy

I know, it is a copycat league. Every other good team reaches in the draft for positions of need and gives out big money to free agents. I cannot believe that the Bills are not following the example of other successful franchises.

Look at all the success the Redskins had with Free Agency. More recently, reaching for Trent Williams has really panned out for them.

Last year the Eagles proved that you can build a dream team through big name free agents.

Crappy teams in the NFC North do not have to look far to see how successful a team, like the Vikings, can be when they are aggressive, reach for positions of need, and trade away 1st round picks. The Vikings are looking at a dynasty the likes of they have not seen since Hershel Walker and the lowly Packers lost in the playoffs, again.

Edited by cody

Still with the big name free agents. I just don't get it. There is A LOT of evidence that says that signing big name free agents gets you nowhere. I figured we'd all learn our lesson after we signed Takeo Spikes, Sam Adams, and Lawyer Milloy all in the same off-season and that got us absolutely nowhere.

Reaching for Aaron Maybin....and I like how Nix has run the team since taking over.

Lighten up Francis...

Reaching for Aaron Maybin....and I like how Nix has run the team since taking over.

I have no opinion on the original post, however, the above statement shows how low we have sunk as a fan base and how any nugget thrown our way is clung to with the hope it leads us to the promised land.

My question for you is this: what about how Nix has run the team since taking over do you like? Can you be more specific?

I don't see how switching to a 3 - 4 without the necessary personnel on the roster, then drafting to fill the glaring 3 - 4 needs we have, then ditching that idea after year two and moving back to a 4 - 3, thus rendering some of the previous draft picks useless has earned the right to be praised. We keep stating how brutal our defense is, with good reason. Who is the reason for that? Look at the stats from 2009 vs. 2011. Rather sobering.

All stats are "allowed by defense." 2009 2011

First Downs 310 340

3rd down conversions 40.4% 39.7%

Yards 5449 5624

Rush yds / Avg 2501/4.7 2224/4.8

Sacks by the Bills 46 23

TD against Bills 37 53

Time of Possession by opponent 32:34 29:49

Turnover ratio by Bills +3 +1

Keep in mind 10 of those sacks came vs. the Redskins. Our overall stats are far worse, despite the opponents having the ball almost 3 minutes less in 2011! How is that progress?

Sorry, I cannot defend the regime. We are far worse on defense despite being defensive minded in drafts. We can look at the drafted Maybin fiasco all we want, but the numbers are what they are. We are locked in mediocrity and I hope to hell we can find our way out before I die.

Edited by Marauder24

Not reaching for a need to appease the masses and drafting a player you feel is more talented but in a position of less dire need is actually taking more of a chance.

And great teams do that too.

Nix isn't scared, rather he's working under the restrictions of a team geared more to be sold. Buffalo made nearly 41M in profit during 2010, but I doubt that Nix/Gailey/Whaley, et al are afraid. The front office could improve significantly on draft day and free agency, but when they struggle to sign their own it's not for any other reason than money. Charley Casserly mentioned on his recent interview on WGR that Buffalo struggles to sign their own.

When he was Pro Personnel Director for SD, they signed big money guys like David Boston. The dynamic has changed considerably in his role as Buffalo's GM.

I know I'm absolutely terrified of making a mistake and signing the wrong free agent to an overpriced contract...

...oh, wait, no I'm not. :wallbash: