Great article on Doug Whaley

GaryPinC

from the Buffalo News as posted today on TBD.

-No doubt he is being groomed to take over from Buddy

-Sounds like he is at least a year and probably 2 or 3 away

-Seems truly appreciative of his opportunity here.

Great article to reveal perspective on the entire situation, IMO.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article744150.ece?twobillsdrive

Edited by GaryPinC

You would think if a guy says "posted today on TBD" any numbskull smart enough to find this forum knows how to find that article within two clicks.

I also would have thought you could just use the link jr1 kindly provided in the very next post after green lantern but I was wrong on both counts so I've added it to the original. My apologies to the board for the breach in protocol.

On topic, am I the only one that didn't know Whaley was black? Not that it matters in the least, just can't believe I didn't know what he looked like already.

That was a great article though. I like what Whaley had to say and it was neat to get insight as to what he does on a day-to-day basis. I definitely wouldn't mind having this guy as our GM in a few years.

You would think if a guy says "posted today on TBD" any numbskull smart enough to find this forum knows how to find that article within two clicks.

This numbskull was trying to read it on his phone between meetings and a link would have been nice. It's just a little protocol. At least I didn't call anyone a name. Peace.

from the Buffalo News as posted today on TBD.

-No doubt he is being groomed to take over from Buddy

-Sounds like he is at least a year and probably 2 or 3 away

-Seems truly appreciative of his opportunity here.

Great article to reveal perspective on the entire situation, IMO.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article744150.ece?twobillsdrive

Sounds like a nice guy, but he seems years away from becoming GM.. He's been made head of college scouting. He isn't involved much with personel. He sits in on some meetings with agents. He says he is somewhat familiar with the old CBA, but not the new one, etc...

If he is being groomed as a GM, it seems strange that they would steer him away from team/personel stuff and put in him charge of scouting only.

But since he is in charge of scouting, we can at least judge his skills as a talent evaluator in this draft.

On topic, am I the only one that didn't know Whaley was black? Not that it matters in the least, just can't believe I didn't know what he looked like already.

That was a great article though. I like what Whaley had to say and it was neat to get insight as to what he does on a day-to-day basis. I definitely wouldn't mind having this guy as our GM in a few years.

I did not know that either. And I knew he was young but not 39 years young. Looks fit enough in that pic to wear a uniform and start playing.

Sounds like a nice guy, but he seems years away from becoming GM.. He's been made head of college scouting. He isn't involved much with personel. He sits in on some meetings with agents. He says he is somewhat familiar with the old CBA, but not the new one, etc...

If he is being groomed as a GM, it seems strange that they would steer him away from team/personel stuff and put in him charge of scouting only.

But since he is in charge of scouting, we can at least judge his skills as a talent evaluator in this draft.

Agree, but sounds like Overdorf handles a good bit of it. Article also gave me the impression that Whaley wasn't too high up the ladder in Pittsburgh so he's got a whole lot to learn, and that he will be given more team/personnel opportunities as he progresses.

Another impression was that Buddy sounds like he has a plan knows what he's doing as a GM. I state this in contrast to criticisms when he was hired (including an unnamed "NFL executive") that Buddy was a lifelong scout and not really GM material.

Agree, but sounds like Overdorf handles a good bit of it. Article also gave me the impression that Whaley wasn't too high up the ladder in Pittsburgh so he's got a whole lot to learn, and that he will be given more team/personnel opportunities as he progresses.

Another impression was that Buddy sounds like he has a plan knows what he's doing as a GM. I state this in contrast to criticisms when he was hired (including an unnamed "NFL executive") that Buddy was a lifelong scout and not really GM material.

Whaley's fate is tied to Ralph's time on this earth. If Wilson lives 4 or 5 more years, maybe Nix retires and maybe Whaley succeeds him. If Ralph goes to his ultimate reward in the next year or so and Nix looks to retire soon after that, there's no way I see a new owner promoting Whaley to GM. I say that based on this article, which seems to be pointing out that Whaley has been named head of scouting and this will bring him far less in th way of "general manager training" than his previous position here ("assistant GM").

As for Buddy, having a plan doesn't mean you know what you're doing. He thought it was a great idea when Chan suggested that they should switch to a 3-4 defense and that an obscure position coach named George Edwards should run it. Also, on a team with many needs, he has to find starters in the draft. Last year seems like he found a solid group of depth guys. The draft before that was weak.

Whaley's fate is tied to Ralph's time on this earth. If Wilson lives 4 or 5 more years, maybe Nix retires and maybe Whaley succeeds him. If Ralph goes to his ultimate reward in the next year or so and Nix looks to retire soon after that, there's no way I see a new owner promoting Whaley to GM. I say that based on this article, which seems to be pointing out that Whaley has been named head of scouting and this will bring him far less in th way of "general manager training" than his previous position here ("assistant GM").

As for Buddy, having a plan doesn't mean you know what you're doing. He thought it was a great idea when Chan suggested that they should switch to a 3-4 defense and that an obscure position coach named George Edwards should run it. Also, on a team with many needs, he has to find starters in the draft. Last year seems like he found a solid group of depth guys. The draft before that was weak.

Really?!? Considering Whaley is on a very short list of new GM talent across the entire league, if he wasnt here, it would be very likely a new owner would bring him in.

His title is currently "Assistant General Manager and the Director of Player Personnel", he has moved towards scouting college players as that takes much more of every GMs job.

I'd rather not speculate about what happens to the FO when Mr. Wilson finally checks out, any guesses would be pure folly if they indeed turn out to be true.

As for Buddy, I think it's his job to support his coach's decisions and get him the personnel he needs. In my mind the entire 3-4/Edwards thing is on Gailey. I also haven't condemned the 2010 draft yet. I think end of season 2012 will be a more fitting time to judge the 2010 draft.

This numbskull was trying to read it on his phone between meetings and a link would have been nice. It's just a little protocol. At least I didn't call anyone a name. Peace.

I think proper "protocol" would have been to post, "I'm mobile and can't get to TBD; will somebody please post the link?"

I also didn't think a Looney Tunes insult would offend anyone.

Peace indeed.

Really?!? Considering Whaley is on a very short list of new GM talent across the entire league, if he wasnt here, it would be very likely a new owner would bring him in.

His title is currently "Assistant General Manager and the Director of Player Personnel", he has moved towards scouting college players as that takes much more of every GMs job.

Yeah, really. And I haven't seen the very short list of new GM talent across the country, so I can't comment on that.

I can quote Whaley, who, despite being "Director of Player Personnel", says this about...player personnel:

"I don't do any pros any more (during the season)," he said. "It's just straight colleges. Tommy (Gibbons) and (pro scout) Rob (Hanrahan) broke that down. Because of the extensive travel on the college side, and I wouldn't be able to do pro film during the week, I've relinquished those duties.

Not saying he may be somebody's GM years from now, but the guy doesn't know much about the CBA, contracts and the salary cap. To me, that doesn't put him on anyone's short list of potential GM talent. Not yet.

I'd rather not speculate about what happens to the FO when Mr. Wilson finally checks out, any guesses would be pure folly if they indeed turn out to be true.

As for Buddy, I think it's his job to support his coach's decisions and get him the personnel he needs. In my mind the entire 3-4/Edwards thing is on Gailey. I also haven't condemned the 2010 draft yet. I think end of season 2012 will be a more fitting time to judge the 2010 draft.

I agree Buddy needs to support his HC, but Nix is in charge. He should at some point have asked "why the 3-4 now?" and "why would you pick George Edwards to run that type of offense??".

Any guess that turns out to be correct would not have been pure folly.

I think the key is when he said they need to get to a point where Buddy comes in at 9 AM and says this is

what we need to do and can leave at 5 PM and leave things in Doug's hands.

Buddy isn't getting any younger, so traveling the entire college circuit or pulling long days or all nighters

probably won't work in the long run. So Whaley is being groomed to basically be in complete tandem with

Buddy and take the more time consuming tasks and traveling that are easier for a younger man. Be Buddy's

eyes and ears and maybe eventually take over completely when Buddy is ready to retire.

I like that Whaley is humble and knows that there is still a lot for him to learn. GM has to be a pretty complicated

job. But at the same time, he is one of the up and coming execs in the league and I am glad that we have him.

Taking over the college scouting (while keeping his Asst GM title and also overseeing pro personal) is just another step in

his process of learning the job fully. It isn't a demotion as others suggested.

Yeah, really. And I haven't seen the very short list of new GM talent across the country, so I can't comment on that.

I can quote Whaley, who, despite being "Director of Player Personnel", says this about...player personnel:

Not saying he may be somebody's GM years from now, but the guy doesn't know much about the CBA, contracts and the salary cap. To me, that doesn't put him on anyone's short list of potential GM talent. Not yet.

I agree Buddy needs to support his HC, but Nix is in charge. He should at some point have asked "why the 3-4 now?" and "why would you pick George Edwards to run that type of offense??".

Any guess that turns out to be correct would not have been pure folly.

We were called idiots for not hiring him as gm when we hired nix.

I'd guess his "don't really know pros or the CBA" nonsense is a huuuuuge exaggeration. We could probably put every ounce of knowledge we have collectively on either topic together and not be able to keep up in a discussion of either with him.