Bills 3rd most in NFL injury toll

San-O

Bills rank third in NFL injury toll.

Article almost certainly previously posted, however got me thinking with the draft coming up.

How many players that were IR'd last year going to be projected to start again?

o They are apparently working an offer for Bell, who can't stay on field.

o Merriman likely back, again.

o McGee just got restructured.

o Wood went down again.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article680813.ece

http://billsdaily.com/injury/

:unsure:

Merriman will be a non factor, his steroid abuse riddled his body, I dont even know why we are keeping him around - hopes and dreams I guess but whatever, as long as we find FA/draft depth to step in as soon as he gets hurt im fine with it

Mcgee restructured so if he gets hurt he doesnt get paid, seems smart, hes not bad (more than serviceable) when hes actually healthy

Wood is a rock, he had a freak leg break and then got hurt last year - but other than that he has not had injury issues, Im not ready to say hes injury prone yet (but dam close)

spot on with Bell...

is it a terrible training/conditioning staff? do we just draft/sign hobbled individuals? this is ALWAYS an issue for the Bills (I know all teams have injuries, but we obviously have way more than our "fair share")

Merriman will be a non factor, his steroid abuse riddled his body, I dont even know why we are keeping him around - hopes and dreams I guess but whatever, as long as we find FA/draft depth to step in as soon as he gets hurt im fine with it

Mcgee restructured so if he gets hurt he doesnt get paid, seems smart, hes not bad (more than serviceable) when hes actually healthy

Wood is a rock, he had a freak leg break and then got hurt last year - but other than that he has not had injury issues, Im not ready to say hes injury prone yet (but dam close)

spot on with Bell...

is it a terrible training/conditioning staff? do we just draft/sign hobbled individuals? this is ALWAYS an issue for the Bills (I know all teams have injuries, but we obviously have way more than our "fair share")

I guess the thing is the Bills are going to keep rolling the same guys out there who can't make it through a season and then

say they can't win in part due to injury: Right. Now correct that problem, but they don't get it.

I guess the thing is the Bills are going to keep rolling the same guys out there who can't make it through a season and then

say they can't win in part due to injury: Right. Now correct that problem, but they don't get it.

Bell started all 16 games in 2010 while Wood had 14 starts. If their respective injuries were repetitive, I'd be more concerned.

GO BILLS!!!

Bell started all 16 games in 2010 while Wood had 14 starts. If their respective injuries were repetitive, I'd be more concerned.

GO BILLS!!!

Bell started 8 games in 2009. Was IR'd in 2009.

Wood started 10 games in 2009. Also IR'd I believe.

I don't know how to view that for 2012 other than one or both are likely to go down.

I have been fascinated by the Bills injury bug the last couple seasons and trying to figure out the why and how.

Conditioning coaches have changed, so it's not the same program.

Could it be the practice and game day turf? There's a variety of studies that state that there are more ligament and joint injuries on turf versus grass. It appears that the majority of Bills player injuries are lower extremity ligament and joint injuries. When you consider that some players play on artificial turf from high school to the pros, that's a lot of wear and tear on ligaments.

I've wondered if NFL injuries would go down if every NFL field was grass, and turf wasn't permitted.

In the absence of that happening, you'd think the NFL or teams would spend time figuring out devices to minimize the rip/tear movements of the legs and feet on turf like a lightweight booted shoe that extends up past the ankle, mandatory knee braces for linemen, etc.

I have been fascinated by the Bills injury bug the last couple seasons and trying to figure out the why and how.

Conditioning coaches have changed, so it's not the same program.

Could it be the practice and game day turf? There's a variety of studies that state that there are more ligament and joint injuries on turf versus grass. It appears that the majority of Bills player injuries are lower extremity ligament and joint injuries. When you consider that some players play on artificial turf from high school to the pros, that's a lot of wear and tear on ligaments.

I've wondered if NFL injuries would go down if every NFL field was grass, and turf wasn't permitted.

In the absence of that happening, you'd think the NFL or teams would spend time figuring out devices to minimize the rip/tear movements of the legs and feet on turf like a lightweight booted shoe that extends up past the ankle, mandatory knee braces for linemen, etc.

what is this, communist Russia? : )

Yeah, it sucks, trotting out players who were injured and not replacing them outright. You should stop watching, and definitely stop posting.

Maybe you're right.

I'll start posting again when the Bills make the playoffs.

Or maybe just wait until next year when everyone starts making excuses for the Bills not winning: like injury.

Maybe you're right.

I'll start posting again when the Bills make the playoffs.

Or maybe just wait until next year when everyone starts making excuses for the Bills not winning: like injury.

Good idea, because the Bills can control what players get injured and when. See you then.

Bell started 8 games in 2009. Was IR'd in 2009.

Wood started 10 games in 2009. Also IR'd I believe.

I don't know how to view that for 2012 other than one or both are likely to go down.

Are you suggesting that Wood's broken leg in 09 happened because he's injury prone?

Are you suggesting that Wood's broken leg in 09 happened because he's injury prone?

No, that was a 1 x deal.

I'm suggesting more that the Bills have an injury plagued team and roster.

Terrance Mcgee went out the very first play of the first game last year that I remember. 2nd play?

Both he and Florence are on the wrong side of 30. What are the chances of both starting corners making it through the 2012 season?

With all this talk about injuries I would like to point out something about the #4 team in the list the Buffalo News reported on: The New York Giants. I forgot about that, I read about this back in December, but the number of injuries the Giants sustained was comparable to those the Bills sustained. I can't really prognosticate about how #3 went down in ignominious defeat while #4 won the championship. The Giants did get many of their starters back in time for the playoff run but the disparity in outcomes would seem to speak strongly about, I don't know: the coaching staff, the depth of the roster, the commitment of the back-ups? You could make a case for any of these due to the disparity but I don't want to call into question anyone's skill or dedication. If forced to state my belief I would call it dumb luck.

Could all the injuries be due the fact that pro football features some of the biggest, fastest athletes in the world running into each other with as much force as possible? :ph34r:

This was my initial thought, but then I thought, naw, couldn't be that. :)

Tim-

With all this talk about injuries I would like to point out something about the #4 team in the list the Buffalo News reported on: The New York Giants. I forgot about that, I read about this back in December, but the number of injuries the Giants sustained was comparable to those the Bills sustained. I can't really prognosticate about how #3 went down in ignominious defeat while #4 won the championship. The Giants did get many of their starters back in time for the playoff run but the disparity in outcomes would seem to speak strongly about, I don't know: the coaching staff, the depth of the roster, the commitment of the back-ups? You could make a case for any of these due to the disparity but I don't want to call into question anyone's skill or dedication. If forced to state my belief I would call it dumb luck.

During the Giants biggest injury sustained time period they lost four out of 5 games. The only win was in OT against the choking Dallas Cowboys.

Just saying, injuries due play a factor in wins and losses.

1330367772[/url]' post='2390361']

I hear what you're saying. The thing is, they're trying to replace them in the draft. We know (hopefully) we will draft DE and OLB. Keeping the, on the team for another year isn't going to make or break this team. Merriman might even be cut. McGees new contract makes him inexpensive if he gets hurt. Wood, well I wouldn't worry about him too much. If he gets hurt this year, maybe start to worry.