Alshon Jeffery

JM57

I don't have the capabilities using my phone to search for the post I made sometime over the last 6 weeks or so, but I definitely made one here discussing how I believed he would show up at the combine in excellent shape and raise his stock. Yes, I am aware he hasn't ran the 40 yet, but for someone who was listed at 6'5, 230 at South Carolina, and with reports he was closer to 250 this past season, coming into the combine at a svelte 216 is a big deal.

I'm eager to see his 40 time. I've seen what he can do with decent QB play. He's an animal. I would love him in blue and white, if he's BPA

The loss of weight can be viewed several different ways. You can actually spin it as a negative but I'll accept it as a positive.

Regardless, he still has to run well and show burst… things which are conspicuously lacking in his videotape.

Losing weight may or may not make him more explosive… a skinny giraffe is still a slow twitch animal… same as a fat giraffe.

I don't think he was ever actually 250. I watched him all 3 years at SC and I don't believe he appeared noticeably larger...or slower...in 2011 than in 2009. The decline he saw in production from 2010 to 2011 can be atrributed about 85% to the steep decline in the play of Stephen Garcia and learning curve of Connor Shaw following Garcia's dismissal. The other 15%? Marcus Lattimore kept defenses very, very honest. His injury allowed teams to sell out on stopping Jeffery without a dynamic runner in the game.

I don't have the capabilities using my phone to search for the post I made sometime over the last 6 weeks or so, but I definitely made one here discussing how I believed he would show up at the combine in excellent shape and raise his stock. Yes, I am aware he hasn't ran the 40 yet, but for someone who was listed at 6'5, 230 at South Carolina, and with reports he was closer to 250 this past season, coming into the combine at a svelte 216 is a big deal.

I'm eager to see his 40 time. I've seen what he can do with decent QB play. He's an animal. I would love him in blue and white, if he's BPA

no thanks, dropping weight to get a better 40 means nothing, he didn't stand out last year once teams new he was the target.

no thanks, dropping weight to get a better 40 means nothing, he didn't stand out last year once teams new he was the target.

Reading comprehension is key...... Aside from the Kentucky game, the decline in Jeffrey's production can be directly attributed to the QB play.

Take a look at Connor Shaw's stats here: http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/504292/connor-shaw

The switch from Shaw to Garcia changed that offense. As poorly as Garcia played, his dismissal and the subsequent beginning of the Shaw era made the passing game less important, as he brought the ability to actually run the ball from the QB position as well.

Think what you will. But I think unless you actually watched that team all season, you should take a look past a simple stat line and see the bigger story. Analyze a bit.

Edited by JM57

hes not even running the 40 at the combine. im pretty sure he said hed run it at his pro day.

im a big fan of his ill admit that first. his QB play was horrid and as the above poster stated when lattimore went down teams were just double and triple covering him. connar shaw also has games where he threw it less then 20 times ina game. even triple option throws it that much.

i just think for all the surrounding factors he still had good numbers for the hand he was dealt. if he had any sort of consistent QB play his number would have been much better. i still think he might have a better pro career then blackmon. who i like too but hes kind of like the second coming of keyshawn. no DB is afraid of him running past him. you can ay the same about alshon but you cant coach the size he has either.

How is a GM or a scout going to judge whether or not he will keep his weight down once he signs a contract?

Are you in a land that serves fatty foods like chicken wings? :flirt:

hes not even running the 40 at the combine. im pretty sure he said hed run it at his pro day.

im a big fan of his ill admit that first. his QB play was horrid and as the above poster stated when lattimore went down teams were just double and triple covering him. connar shaw also has games where he threw it less then 20 times ina game. even triple option throws it that much.

i just think for all the surrounding factors he still had good numbers for the hand he was dealt. if he had any sort of consistent QB play his number would have been much better. i still think he might have a better pro career then blackmon. who i like too but hes kind of like the second coming of keyshawn. no DB is afraid of him running past him. you can ay the same about alshon but you cant coach the size he has either.

Agree. I'd also say that about Sanu and Fuller. How good is the QB throwing to him? If this is a factor, I'm discounting Blackmon b/c Weeden is throwing to him, Juron Criner with Foles, and Kendall Wright with Griffin throwing to him. I'm elevating Jeffery.

Reading comprehension is key...... Aside from the Kentucky game, the decline in Jeffrey's production can be directly attributed to the QB play.

Take a look at Connor Shaw's stats here: http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/504292/connor-shaw

The switch from Shaw to Garcia changed that offense. As poorly as Garcia played, his dismissal and the subsequent beginning of the Shaw era made the passing game less important, as he brought the ability to actually run the ball from the QB position as well.

Think what you will. But I think unless you actually watched that team all season, you should take a look past a simple stat line and see the bigger story. Analyze a bit.

From someone who watched a LOT of SC Games (I lived in Charlotte NC for most of Jeffrey's College days) you are 100% correct...The QB change all but killed Jeffrey's Jr year...Not that he does not have work to do...Because he does...But his upside is REAL high if he sticks to a Pro workout regimen, keeps his weight down, and works hard...The kid can absolutely snatch the ball out of the air and he played big in big SEC Games...

I love Jeffrey's upside...For whatever reason I think he's going to figure it out and be special...I would love him more in the 2nd Round...But I doubt that's going to be a possibility... B-)

I don't think he was ever actually 250. I watched him all 3 years at SC and I don't believe he appeared noticeably larger...or slower...in 2011 than in 2009. The decline he saw in production from 2010 to 2011 can be atrributed about 85% to the steep decline in the play of Stephen Garcia and learning curve of Connor Shaw following Garcia's dismissal. The other 15%? Marcus Lattimore kept defenses very, very honest. His injury allowed teams to sell out on stopping Jeffery without a dynamic runner in the game.

Gamecock fan here also. I second the above. Here's my scouting report on Jeffery (for what it's worth). Positives: If he gets his hand/ hands on the ball consider it caught. He will out jump anyone for the ball! He is open even when he's not open. He's got a big frame that can breaks tackles after the catch. Negatives: He lacks that explosive quickness to get great separation in his routes, and does not have break away speed. His routes were mostly go routes so it's hard to gauge his route running ability. James Hardly????

Jeffery was double and triple covered all last season. His QB's were a worse passer than Tebow (Garcia) and the second coming of JP Losman (Shaw). I don't feel his weight will be an issue and he is a high character guy. I'll be surprised if we take him, but not disappointed if we do.

Gamecock fan here also. I second the above. Here's my scouting report on Jeffery (for what it's worth). Positives: If he gets his hand/ hands on the ball consider it caught. He will out jump anyone for the ball! He is open even when he's not open. He's got a big frame that can breaks tackles after the catch. Negatives: He lacks that explosive quickness to get great separation in his routes, and does not have break away speed. His routes were mostly go routes so it's hard to gauge his route running ability. James Hardly????

Jeffery was double and triple covered all last season. His QB's were a worse passer than Tebow (Garcia) and the second coming of JP Losman (Shaw). I don't feel his weight will be an issue and he is a high character guy. I'll be surprised if we take him, but not disappointed if we do.

All you Gamecock fans know more about him than I although many of you have confirmed his lack of explosiveness which is my biggest reservation about him.

But here's a question.

If he's such a high character guy, how come he didn't have the discipline to control his weight better?

Is it just me or is that a bit of a contradiction?