Demetrius Bell

aussiebills

Coach Chan Gailey said Thursday that the Bills have had contract talks with free agent LT Demetrius Bell since the season ended. The Bills believe 2011 fourth-round pick Chris Hairston might be their left tackle of the future, but retaining Bell would give them insurance

Above is another quote for a different article giving practically the same info

When healthy(which is a huge IF), Bell is a good LT. If the price is right, you definitely keep him. I'm so sick of developing players and letting them walk for nothing.

Well, that's the great unknown. How much are you willing to risk on Bell?

Well, that's the great unknown. How much are you willing to risk on Bell?

Honestly, I have no idea. He arguably might be the top LT on the market but his health is such a concern. This is one contract that could be very tricky to figure out. Maybe $3 to $4 million/ year with some incentive (games played) bonuses???

When healthy(which is a huge IF), Bell is a good LT. If the price is right, you definitely keep him. I'm so sick of developing players and letting them walk for nothing.

Oh my, how the standards have been lowered in Buffalo. John Fina would be a pro-bowl player in comparison to Bell.

Honestly, I have no idea. He arguably might be the top LT on the market but his health is such a concern. This is one contract that could be very tricky to figure out. Maybe $3 to $4 million/ year with some incentive (games played) bonuses???

That would be fair. But we don't know what he's looking for.

Bell is a better pass blocker than Fina my man and probably a better all around player. Bell just hasn't stayed healthy. Man I hated Fina so this isn't much of an endorsement either. Fina had some technique and mobility, that's about it.

Fina had a couple of good years after he left Buff with AZ if I remember correctly.

Bell is a better pass blocker than Fina my man and probably a better all around player. Bell just hasn't stayed healthy. Man I hated Fina so this isn't much of an endorsement either. Fina had some technique and mobility, that's about it.

Fina was small and conparitively weak for a LT. Bell, while more talented overall than Fina, has the same problems. This is why he is constantly hurt. Jonas Jennings was better than both of them but was even more frail than Bell. Bottom line?

Jason Peters was better than the 3 of them combined.

Fina had a couple of good years after he left Buff with AZ if I remember correctly.

Your memory is incorrect. Fina was shot even before he left Buffalo. He did nothing for Arizona. Nothing at all. At that point, he was more concerned with cooking/restaurants than football.

In his prime, he wasn't much. If you want to compare him to someone, picture a low rent Jeff Backus.

Fina was small and conparitively weak for a LT. Bell, while more talented overall than Fina, has the same problems. This is why he is constantly hurt. Jonas Jennings was better than both of them but was even more frail than Bell. Bottom line?

Jason Peters was better than the 3 of them combined.

Your memory is incorrect. Fina was shot even before he left Buffalo. He did nothing for Arizona. Nothing at all. At that point, he was more concerned with cooking/restaurants than football.

In his prime, he wasn't much. If you want to compare him to someone, picture a low rent Jeff Backus.

Do honestly think Peters wins us one more game this year? I don't and one of our wins was against the great Peters' Eagles team. He acted like a child and was traded 4 years ago. It's time to move on Bill. :pirate:

And I know you really aren't a fan of Bell as you have stated many times, but are you in favor of letting him walk for nothing? What do you feel he is worth?

And I know you really aren't a fan of Bell as you have stated many times, but are you in favor of letting him walk for nothing? What do you feel he is worth?

The above is not totally accurate. I think that Bell is adequate/good on the rare occasions on which he is healthy. And I will answer your question.

He is worth what a team will give him. Dick Drawn coinned the phrase, "Jennings ala Cart" due to his numerous injuries, and I repeat, Jennings was better than Bell. He, despite the chronic injuries, got a huge contract from the 49ers, and this was some time ago. Teams want a solid LT, and they will pay.

Someone (imo) will make Bell a huge offer. The Bills will not match it because they think Hairston is a LT. Btw, I do not. I hope I am wrong, but I project him to RT (and a very good one). I am unable to visualize him as a top LT, but that's merely my opinion.

What is Bell worth? 4 or 5 million per season, but watch and see. He will get at least 7, but not from the Bills. JMO, and you did ask.

Bill, I believe I agree with EVERYTHING you just wrote. To get Bell to stay though, I might offer him 3 years 18M take it or leave it. See if his agent bites, and although you may think it a little steep, it's what the Bills will have to do to keep or aquire players. A 3 year deal would also give him a shot at one more good contract if you want to look at it that way as well.

We will offer him a fair, reasonable contract for an average injury prone left tackle. I Believe he will turn it down to test free agency in hopes someone will overpay to get him. A complete offseason of training and coaching as well as taking the majority of snaps Hairston will be better but we will have to add some depth. I know buddy has mention taking a tackle in the draft,

Bell is the best LT in FA this year. That is bad luck for the Bills...good luck for Bell.

This will allow him to get a better salary then if there were a few other true top notch LT in FA.

I got clued into this fact when the sports broadcasters here in ATL mentioned him as the top LT out there.

Personally i like the 4-5m a season to him as a base. With the same type of incentives they gave McGee. If Bell stays healthy and plays then his salary goes to 7m.

I think everyone on the board agrees he is a solid LT, but can not stay healthy. If he does stay healthy then it is a win/win for Bell and the Bills. 7m is not a bad price for a starting solid LT.

It also allows Hairston to play RT and then this Bills line just became a very stable group and even some depth with Pears and Rhinehardt.

Why are we still discussing the Bell experiment? Before this season started I asked the question if he was a stop gap measure, good enough, elite, no good etc. He can't stay healthy, is out of shape and is inconsistent. How long are we going to have this injury prone late round fodder protecting our QB's blind side? When he is healthy that is!!!

...Jonas Jennings was better than both of them but was even more frail than Bell...

Becauseof his health issues I had no problem with Jennings leaving and I guess SF ended up with the brunt of that failing.

That being said, if he had stayed healthy he really would have a been one of the premier LT in the game during his time..such a shame.

I also wonder how much of his $35 million dollars he got out of the 49ers. I think he was there at least 3 years (possibly 4), but I can't remember how large was his bonus.

EDIT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/03/27/niner-dump-jonas-jennings/

Wow, he only appeared in 23 out of 64 games in SF. I read that is contract was actually worth 36 million and if you assume no adjustments and no additional bonuses for being on the roster then along with the above article he still ended up making more than 22 million dollars.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts