Keep or Cut - Drayton Florence

Danny

Keep or Cut - Drayton Florence  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Keep Florence - for depth, ect.
    • Cut Florence - make cap room/ $3million

So now that its looking like Terrence McGee will be in a Bills uniform next season, i think a lot of attention will be turned to Drayton Florence. He is making $5 million in 2012 and $6 million in 2013. By cutting him the Bills could save approximately $3.5 million against the cap next year.

There are both pros and cons on cutting Florence. The Bills could definitely use the depth in the secondary, especially considering McGee hasnt played much the last two seasons. On the other hand, if the Bills plan to make a big move in free agency it wouldnt hurt to free up some cap room.

Cutting McKelvin is not likely because it would cost as much to cut him as it would to keep him.

So the question is, would you cut Florence and save the money or keep him.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1329959940[/url]' post='2387444']

So now that its looking like Terrence McGee will be in a Bills uniform next season, i think a lot of attention will be turned to Drayton Florence. He is making $5 million in 2012 and $6 million in 2013. By cutting him the Bills could save approximately $3.5 million against the cap next year.

There are both pros and cons on cutting Florence. The Bills could definitely use the depth in the secondary, especially considering McGee hasnt played much the last two seasons. On the other hand, if the Bills plan to make a big move in free agency it wouldnt hurt to free up some cap room.

Cutting McKelvin is not likely because it would cost as much to cut him as it would to keep him.

Keep him. We need him. Injuries will happen

Without a doubt you keep him, and go into camp with Florence, McGee, Williams, McKelvin, Corner, Rogers, +1 Mid-rounder, +1 or 2 camp fodder signings.

Let them fight for the positions. Even if you keep 6, theyre not all going to make it through the entire season. McGee might not even make it out of camp!

Dont bother signing any Free Agent starters at CB. Put the money towards Stevie, WRs, Pass Rush, and signing our own guys that need extensions.

Edited by DrDareustein

It depends. If you're going to cut him just to have extra cap room that will just sit in Ralph's pocket then I say keep him. If there is a plan for that money that could make the team better then I think they could live without him. Ultimately I voted to keep him because I think he provides good depth at a position you can never have enough at.

I've said this on another thread but I'll say it a different way this time around. I say make a bold move by keeping Florence and then trade both him and McKelvin in a package deal for a 4th round draft choice. If there's a team out there looking to draft a CB in the later rounds why wouldn't they want Florence and a former 1st rounder? Then with that draft choice we pick up we use it on a young CB.

Then in free agency we can pick up a mid tier CB for depth.

When the NFL draft comes around I say we go :

1st round - DE/LB

2nd round - DE/LB

3rd round - CB

4th round - CB (from Florence McKelvin trade)

4th round - TE/T/WR

4th round - TE/T/WR (Evans trade to Baltimore)

5th round - TE/T/WR

5th round - LB/DE (Lynch trade to Seattle)

6th round - LB/DE

7th round - WR (pray to find another Stevie)

Our CB's will then be Williams/McGee (starters), Rogers/Mid Tier CB from FA/Rookie/Rookie (backups).

D F will be a lot more effective with a decent pass rush. We need depth, FA dont want to come here unless way over paid, and unfortunately is one of the best 3 CB we have(not saying much). Drafting a young guy is no guarantee. We at least know what we have with D F.

D F will be a lot more effective with a decent pass rush. We need depth, FA dont want to come here unless way over paid, and unfortunately is one of the best 3 CB we have(not saying much). Drafting a young guy is no guarantee. We at least know what we have with D F.

Yes we DO know what we have in Florence. A guaranteed pass interference/holding/illegal contact call every game.

Yes we DO know what we have in Florence. A guaranteed pass interference/holding/illegal contact call every game.

Also a guy I am certain he's top 60 (ie a starter) and even more sure he's top 90 (ie nickel is played most downs) - until we get more guys (ie 5 guys) that fit that, or are dead tight on cap you keep him

Cut him. He is the most inconsistent player there is. He constantly gets beat and occasionally will make a play. He is getting old and I understand that he provides "veteran leadership or experience" but I'd rather have a young guy like Williams or Rogers in there gaining quality experience. Plus, you got to give McKelvin ONE more year. Cut Florence.

Without a doubt you keep him, and go into camp with Florence, McGee, Williams, McKelvin, Corner, Rogers, +1 Mid-rounder, +1 or 2 camp fodder signings.

Let them fight for the positions. Even if you keep 6, theyre not all going to make it through the entire season. McGee might not even make it out of camp!

Dont bother signing any Free Agent starters at CB. Put the money towards Stevie, WRs, Pass Rush, and signing our own guys that need extensions.

totally agree. people talk about freeing up cap room. freeing it up for what? We have tons of room already and a thin secondary. If the guy can't win a spot in camp then waive him, but for us to cut anyone because of money is silly when we have the room. Also, Williams and Rogers are very young DB's that need the veteran leadership for another year at least. Florence and McGhee are perfect for that.

I think it's a no brainer.