I Locked Out Floyd...

Astrobot

I listened to TBD and locked out Michael Floyd, the pick in DraftTek's CMD Mock last week. I set our positional needs to choose BPA between DE43 and OLB43. Here's who was there when the computer picked:

Whitney Mercilus DE43 Illinois

Courtney Upshaw DE43 Alabama

Mike Adams ROT Ohio State

Jonathan Martin LOT Stanford

Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama

Luke Kuechly SILB Boston College

Melvin Ingram OLB34 South Carolina

The Big Board has Mercilus ranked over Upshaw because DraftTek thinks Upshaw would be a better 3-4 OLB. In fact, they have eliminated his Position2 classification completely. The DRAFTSIM computer assigned us the BPA, Mercilus. I'm suggesting that in the next draft, the Bills should put a GRAB in on Melvin Ingram. Ingram is more scheme-flexible (DE43, DE34, OLB43). Looks like I have some sites that agree.

Hers is an interesting video on Riskiest Draft Picks in the Top 10 by Matt Miller. Kirkpatrick is one of them.

What do you think? -Astro

I listened to TBD and locked out Michael Floyd, the pick in DraftTek's CMD Mock last week. I set our positional needs to choose BPA between DE43 and OLB43. Here's who was there when the computer picked:

The Big Board has Mercilus ranked over Upshaw because DraftTek thinks Upshaw would be a better 3-4 OLB. In fact, they have eliminated his Position2 classification completely. The DRAFTSIM computer assigned us the BPA, Mercilus. I'm suggesting that in the next draft, the Bills should put a GRAB in on Melvin Ingram. Ingram is more scheme-flexible (DE43, DE34, OLB43). Looks like I have some sites that agree.

Hers is an interesting video on Riskiest Draft Picks in the Top 10 by Matt Miller. Kirkpatrick is one of them.

DE's out of the big 10 not a good track record

DE's out of the big 10 not a good track record

The #16 pick last year(#2 DE on DraftTek), JJ Watt, had 56 tackles and 5.5 sacks, then led the team with 12 tackles, 3 TFL and 2.5 sacks in Houston's 20-13 loss to Baltimore in the playoffs. I'd be happy with that kind of production from a rookie DE and a playoff game next year.

I am wary of the short-armed Ingram. Regardless of his athletic ability, I just don't trust the pick. It's depending on pure athletic ability rather than intrinsic physical qualities that gets me. I equate the problem of drafting someone who was a star in college because he was super-fast, but when his speed is neutralized by all the other speedy NFL players, does he have the intrinsic physical qualities and the mind to play the position with the big boys?

Of course the argument can go the other way. Big guys with the prototypical size don't have the athletic ability or the mind for the position, and can obviously also be busts. I suppose it's just a matter of preference.

Edited by BringBackFlutie

I am wary of the short-armed Ingram. Regardless of his athletic ability, I just don't trust the pick. It's depending on pure athletic ability rather than intrinsic physical qualities that gets me. I equate the problem of drafting someone who was a star in college because he was super-fast, but when his speed is neutralized by all the other speedy NFL players, does he have the intrinsic physical qualities and the mind to play the position with the big boys?

Of course the argument can go the other way. Big guys with the prototypical size don't have the athletic ability or the mind for the position, and can obviously also be busts. I suppose it's just a matter of preference.

Violent hands. Only DE on the "hands team" for onside kicks. He'll be fine.

Edited by Astrobot

Why the heck is Floyd locked out?

Nix and Gailey have already tipped their hand and it is very likely the pick is going to be a WR ot Left Tackle.

As much as people want Coples, Ingram or Upshaw to be a sack master, they are not.

Taking any of them over Floyd or Adams or Martin is the text book definition of "A reach" and is definietely not "Best Player Available."

Edited by Why So Serious?

Hmmm... :unsure:

This is why I hate that #10 Overall Slot this year...I hope The Bills Trade Down and get the best of Mercilus, Ingram, or Upshaw...I really don't have a favorite between Upshaw and Ingram...I think Mercilus is a bit of a gamble, especially at #10...In this scenerio, without a Trade Down I think I would go "safe" and take Martin or Adams...I don't know...This Draft scares the heck out of me... B-)

did you really link bleacher as your backing? come on. also to think hed range from 34 end to 43 end to 34 olb is pushing it a bit much. if you want to say 43 end and 34 olb ill give you that which i think is really all you were trying to get at anyway but went off the rails trying to sweeten the pick extra.

I cringe at a Mercilus pick at #10.

Lots of red flags for me. Mediocre program in the Big Ten. One year wonder.

Too many question marks for a top ten pick you need to have instant impact.

For those that are ready to throw up Bowers or Watt from last year, you must consider the circumstances....The Bucs picked Bowers up at #51, where the risk is less and his NFL production for the spot was ok. You pick Bowers at #3 and only two sacks gets you labeled a bust. Watt at #16 went to a talented defense and wasn't a top ten pick to a defense that doesn't have that strong of a supporting cast.

I like Upshaw and Melvin Ingram is growing on me.

The #16 pick last year(#2 DE on DraftTek), JJ Watt, had 56 tackles and 5.5 sacks, then led the team with 12 tackles, 3 TFL and 2.5 sacks in Houston's 20-13 loss to Baltimore in the playoffs. I'd be happy with that kind of production from a rookie DE and a playoff game next year.

JJ Watt is a beast! B-)

1329593213[/url]' post='2385283']

Nix and Gailey have already tipped their hand and it is very likely the pick is going to be a WR ot Left Tackle.

As much as people want Coples, Ingram or Upshaw to be a sack master, they are not.

Taking any of them over Floyd or Adams or Martin is the text book definition of "A reach" and is definietely not "Best Player Available."

Here we go again. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

So who's the pick gonna be? Sounds to me like Nix and Gailey want a pass rusher, WR and an OT. Not sure what's been said that makes you think they aren't taking a de/lb. I think itll be bpa at a position on need. De/lb, Wr, LT or CB if they think one left of the board is the bpa. "Nix and Gaikey have tipped their hand and it is VERY LIKELY the pick is going to be a Wr or LT". Very likely.....lol. It's VERY LIKELY the bills will select a Wr, LT or pass rusher. It's very likely that the draft occurs after FA has started and the bills will very likely draft a player at a position that has yet to be filled via FA. But then there's a chance they sign stevie AND draft a Wr in rd1. But not VERY likely.

Edited by NewEra

I'd go with Kuechly if he wasn't Poz minus. Ingram would be the DE to grab.

Here we go again. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

So who's the pick gonna be? Sounds to me like Nix and Gailey want a pass rusher, WR and an OT. Not sure what's been said that makes you think they aren't taking a de/lb. I think itll be bpa at a position on need. De/lb, Wr, LT or CB if they think one left of the board is the bpa. "Nix and Gaikey have tipped their hand and it is VERY LIKELY the pick is going to be a Wr or LT". Very likely.....lol. It's VERY LIKELY the bills will select a Wr, LT or pass rusher. It's very likely that the draft occurs after FA has started and the bills will very likely draft a player at a position that has yet to be filled via FA. But then there's a chance they sign stevie AND draft a Wr in rd1. But not VERY likely.

Do you see the "?" In my post?

No clue how your post answers that question.

Whitney Mercilus. JPP's same level brother from another mother.

JPP is a way better athlete.

Floyd wont be the BPA if he is available, wasn't that impressive in the games I saw.

I would be very happy with Martin/Ingram. Why not pick a guy who actually excelled at his craft ? But we'll fall in love with Mercilus or Brockers at the combine and pick one of them. ... i know, I know. Mercilus made lots of play but Ingram IMO is the far superior "football player ". In fact, pretty much anyone on that list would make me happy other than Mercilus. All things being equal go SEC.

Mercilus or Brockers (who isn't on your list) would leave me with that sick empty feeling I had when we took Whitner and Maybin. It was like opening up your first Christmas present and finding a turd under the wrapper.