I Locked Out Floyd...

Astrobot

JPP is a way better athlete.

Floyd wont be the BPA if he is available, wasn't that impressive in the games I saw.

THE USC game?

HE has more than two dozen more impressive games.

He is in the AJ Green band of WRs. GOOD hands, smart kid, with a great physique. VERY low risk if he learned his lesson about DUIs.

I really don't know what the supposed knocks are against him, he doesn't have top end speed.

If the Bills took Floyd I don't think there would be a lot of revisionist history around the 2012 draft.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I agree with KOKBILLS. If there's no trade down, taking the best OT is the safest route. Then you hope a Curry, Branch, Crick, Johnson or Jones will pan out. I'd personally like to resign Bell (and Stevie) and then trade down, grab Zach Brown with the pick you get in the 1st and then take the best 4-3 DE in the 2nd. Then go BPA--WR, DE (gonna need more than one), OT (depth), CB.

Edited by biggerdaddynj

DE's out of the big 10 not a good track record

As Astrobot pointed out Watt a former Wisconsin Badger was a superb pickup for Houston. Also, Kerrigan from Purdue was an exceptional addition for the Redskins. Giving stereotypes too much credence is a self-defeating approach that will make you prone to bypass good players for lesser players.

Hmmm... :unsure:

This is why I hate that #10 Overall Slot this year...I hope The Bills Trade Down and get the best of Mercilus, Ingram, or Upshaw...I really don't have a favorite between Upshaw and Ingram...I think Mercilus is a bit of a gamble, especially at #10...In this scenerio, without a Trade Down I think I would go "safe" and take Martin or Adams...I don't know...This Draft scares the heck out of me... B-)

Of course, we need to wait for free agency to unfold, but at this point I tend to be on the same page as you.

In a tradedown scenario, I would toss Donta Hightower into the mix. I am a long time Alabama fan, and I have watched this kid for years. He has a chance to be as good as Patrick Willis imo. I want a pass rusher/LT/QB as much as anybody on this board, but Hightower and additional picks would be a steal for our beloved Bills imo.

Putting up fences today I have taken some time to think about it. I would like to see if Buffalo brings in any veteran LB's prior to the draft. That could shape a lot of things in April. We can use the veterans as backups if neccessary and use picks to draft needs over additions. Hmm. yeah, just not sure.

Of course, we need to wait for free agency to unfold, but at this point I tend to be on the same page as you.

In a tradedown scenario, I would toss Donta Hightower into the mix. I am a long time Alabama fan, and I have watched this kid for years. He has a chance to be as good as Patrick Willis imo. I want a pass rusher/LT/QB as much as anybody on this board, but Hightower and additional picks would be a steal for our beloved Bills imo.

Nix has made it clear that his philosophy is simple: Pick when you are called on to pick. I suspect during his prior two drafts he had opportunities to trade down and get more picks. He didn't avail himself to that approach. You don't have to only trade down with your first round pick. You can also maneuver down with your second pick. Last year Nix could have traded down with his high second round pick. Again, he chose not to do so.

Is he simply too stubborn and old school to try something out of the ordinary? Or is he being smart about taking the player he wants when his turn comes up and not risking losing a desired player?

Some people are good at checkers, and others are good at chess. Buddy prefers checkers. Don't misunderstand me. I'm not criticizing Buddy. He's staying within his comfort zone and not daring to move out of it. Tom Donahoe had a tendency to think and act outside of the box. Time and time again he got burned trying to outsmart the rest of the pack. With Buddy he is going to stay within the pack.

Edited by JohnC

Nix has made it clear that his philosophy is simple: Pick when you are called on to pick. I suspect during his prior two drafts he had opportunities to trade down and get more picks. He didn't avail himself to that approach. You don't have to only trade down with your first round pick. You can also maneuver down with your second pick. Last year Nix could have traded down with his high second round pick. Again, he chose not to do so.

Is he simply too stubborn and old school to try something out of the ordinary? Or is he being smart about taking the player he wants when his turn comes up and not risking losing a desired player?

Some people are good at checkers, and others are good at chess. Buddy prefers checkers. Don't misunderstand me. I'm not criticizing Buddy. He's staying within his comfort zone and not daring to move out of it. Tom Donahoe had a tendency to think and act outside of the box. Time and time again he got burned trying to outsmart the rest of the pack. With Buddy he is going to stay within the pack.

Nix said that he had "multiple offers in every round" to trade down in 2011. I am GUESSING that he might have been able to obtain an extra 1st round pick for 2012 in doing so in round 2.

I am not being critical of him either btw. Maybe he looked at the 2012 draft and wasn't so impressed. We will never know.

If his strategy is to always stay put, so be it. But like any other draft strategy, one has to be correct, especially on a team like the Bills, where management doesn't seem to provide them with the money to sign too many expensive free agents.

No BUT VIN CURRY can. LIke I said before . Martin 1st rd Curry 2nd. He`s as good or better than every pass rusher in this draft.Olb from W.Vir 3rd or one of Neb. olbs.

I lurk at message boards for the other NFL teams from time to time, and it seems that every single one of these sites has posters that have mock drafts with 1) player that he likes in round one and 2) vin curry in round two. I don't know anything about Curry, but since everyone thinks they can "steal" him in round two, that means that he is going to be drafted in the first round.

Nix said that he had "multiple offers in every round" to trade down in 2011. I am GUESSING that he might have been able to obtain an extra 1st round pick for 2012 in doing so in round 2.

I am not being critical of him either btw. Maybe he looked at the 2012 draft and wasn't so impressed. We will never know.

If his strategy is to always stay put, so be it. But like any other draft strategy, one has to be correct, especially on a team like the Bills, where management doesn't seem to provide them with the money to sign too many expensive free agents.

The player Buddy took with his high second round pick last year was Aaron Williams, the CB from Texas. From what I read about him he had a mid to low first round grade. So he got good value for him. He demonstrated, at least to me, that he is going to be a starter and a good player for us.

The problem with giving up high draft picks for future higher picks is that you would be lose a developmental year on a player on a team that is already lacking in talent. A talent rich team such as the Pats can afford to stockpile draft picks. They have the luxury of waiting for future picks to come on board. Or, just maybe, the Pats outsmarted themselves when they didn't use their drafts to address their immediate needs when they were so close to being a SB winning team? The reality is that the Bills don't have their flexibility. That doesn't mean that you can't move down in the draft and get additional picks within the same year.

The bottom line is that I'm not going to be too critical of Buddy if he takes the conservative approach and simply makes quality selections as his turns come up. I'm still concerned with his first draft when he overreached for Troup, and maybe for Carrington.

When Buddy accepted the job he was well aware of the limitations of a Ralph Wilson managed organization. From his perspective it is better to be limited and have a job than to have no limitations and be without a job. The problem with working in a backwater organization is that if a person such as Whaley does a good job he will find it enticing to work for a more supportive organization if offered an opportunity.

Edited by JohnC