FA Williams and the Patriots

simpleman

We all would dream of having Williams on the team. But if you had a choice for equal money where would you play?

Patriots and Williams

That's the thing though...IF the money was equal. Buffalo has always had to overpay for talent...even in their more competitive years. Bryce Paup anyone? Super Mario is the kind of move that turns this team around. You add him, and instantly you have one of the best front fours in the NFL. This is a team that but for its horrible string of injuries and even worse defense would have been in the playoffs last year. Pay whatever it takes to get Williams and you have a very good shot of kick starting a cycle of winning and money that even Ralph's greedy heirs will apreciate. Of course this is all a pipe dream because Ralph (and his financial advisors) will not allow Nix et al to make the necessary offer. So Mario will wind up on another team because the best the Bills will do is market rate or a little worse...if they even get involved int he bidding at all. I have the sick feeling the "splash" Buffalo will make in this year's free agency will be to sign Vincent Jackson after Stevie walks....and I'm not convinced that would be an upgrade.

It's just like Peyton Manning...who wouldn't be interested in adding Mario Williams to their roster?

I'd argue outside of money, the biggest thing against Williams in Buffalo is New York's restrictive gun laws, oddly.. Williams is an avid collector of firearms, especially high caliber sniper rifles, semi automatic rifles, a ton of handguns and even has a Browning MG in his collection. He's got guns in his collection that you can't outright have in New York state or not without two tons of paperwork. His #1 hobby outside football is collecting and shooting said firearms.

So...that being said, New York state and pretty much anywhere in the northeast outside Pennsylvania, is the last place you'd want to set up shop long term.

You watch...he'll stay in Texas or play for a team in close proximity to Texas.

For the record, I'd love to see Mario Williams a Bill. I think he'd have a Hall of Fame career here.

It's just like Peyton Manning...who wouldn't be interested in adding Mario Williams to their roster?

I'd argue outside of money, the biggest thing against Williams in Buffalo is New York's restrictive gun laws, oddly.. Williams is an avid collector of firearms, especially high caliber sniper rifles, semi automatic rifles, a ton of handguns and even has a Browning MG in his collection. He's got guns in his collection that you can't outright have in New York state or not without two tons of paperwork. His #1 hobby outside football is collecting and shooting said firearms.

So...that being said, New York state and pretty much anywhere in the northeast outside Pennsylvania, is the last place you'd want to set up shop long term.

You watch...he'll stay in Texas or play for a team in close proximity to Texas.

For the record, I'd love to see Mario Williams a Bill. I think he'd have a Hall of Fame career here.

He can simply live in Buffalo during the season. Lots of players have permanent homes outside of the city they play in.

He can simply live in Buffalo during the season. Lots of players have permanent homes outside of the city they play in.

Maybe. I know he carries concealed. The Texans were wary of that. Again, not an easy thing to do in New York or in Massachusetts. He's also very close to his mother, who herself, is an avid gun collector and enthusiast. He's only ever lived in southern states, where rules on gun ownership are considerably less than say the northeast.

To a person who's not "into" guns and firearms, having a home away from home without them doesn't seem like a big deal, especially if you grew up around them and enjoy the hobby. However, for somebody that is, it could be a deal breaker.

My point being overall, is that much like tax implications, it may not come down exclusively to how much money a player can make. Could come down to things we don't generally use in painting broad strokes of free agent desires in figuring out new destinations.

Detriot's Cliff Avril might be another guy worth looking at if he hits the free agent market...

I posted about a month ago that Avril's evaluation by PFF was superior to Mario's. So was Calais Campbell's.

I like the idea of getting the hungry guy coming into his own.

I posted about a month ago that Avril's evaluation by PFF was superior to Mario's. So was Calais Campbell's.

I like the idea of getting the hungry guy coming into his own.

Williams played in 5 games while Avril and Campbell played in all 16.

Didn't MOss break the single season TD mark with the Pats. Hardly say he underperformed!

Just like the Manning effect, I am pretty sure Brady had something to do with it. Plus, their were a few other good targets and better weapons then they currently have.

I really think Mario Williams will go to a 4-3 team, which means the Pats are a very real possibility.

Williams was elite as a 4-3 DE, but he was OK at best in his few games as a 3-4 OLB last year. The Texans really didn't lose anything when he went down, and Brooks Reed will be even better next year, so they'll probably let Williams walk.

Don't put it past the Pats to spend for a top FA, they spent a ton to bring in Roosevelt Colvin a few years ago.

The thought of this happening is incredibly scary. That said I don't think the Pats have as much money as you would think. Here is a list of their FAs

Wes Welker - likely to get franchise tag

Dan Koppen C Age:32

Andre Carter DE Age:33

Mark Anderson DE Age:29

Brian Hoyer QB, Age:26

Deion Branch WR, Age:33

Gerard Warren DT, Age:34

BenJarvus Green-Ellis, RB, Age: 27.

Gary Guyton, OLB, Age: 26.

Matt Slater, WR/S, Age: 26.

James Ihedigbo, S, Age: 28.

Dan Connolly, C,Age: 29.

Antwaun Molden, CB, Age: 27.

Tracy White, OLB, Age: 31.

Nate Jones, CB, Age: 30.

Shaun Ellis, DE/DT, Age: 35.

Niko Koutouvides, ILB, Age: 31.

Kevin Faulk, RB, Age: 36. - likely to retire

According to this site: http://nyjetscap.com/Patriots/patriots2012.php

They will have about 20 million to work with this year. Subtracting 9.5 for Welker's franchise tag and 5 million for rookies, they only have about 5.5 million left for free agents. Should be interesting to see what they do but if these figures are close to correct they might not do much.

Seems to me a sports columnist (that couldn't cut it writing fiction novels)is throwing out another lame stupid column so he can pick up his check ths week. We all know it ain't gonna happen. Pats got bigger fish to fry, like 20 free agents of their own to think about.