Pete Prisco's top 50

1. Mario Williams, DE, Houston Texans: The Texans used him as a 3-4 rush outside linebacker last year, but I think his best spot is as a 4-3 end.

2. Brandon Carr, CB, Kansas City Chiefs: How often do good man-cover players in their primes hit the market? This kid is about to get paid. He is this high because he plays a premium position well. He turns 26 in May.

3. Carl Nicks, G, New Orleans Saints: I consider him to be the best guard in the NFL. He is a nasty player who can block for the run or the pass. He turns 27 in May.

4. Cliff Avril, DE, Detroit Lions: He has 19 1/2 sacks the past two seasons, including 11 last season. He has developed into a top pass rusher. He turns 26 in April, which makes him even more valuable.

5. DeSean Jackson, WR, Philadelphia Eagles: The ability should get him a huge contract. But the attitude might cut that down some. Even so, this kid is a game-changer. Those guys don't hit the market all the time. He turns 26 in December.

6. Jermichael Finley, TE, Green Bay Packers: He didn't quite have the season many expected in 2011 (55 catches), but he is still a heck of an athlete who can do a ton of things for a tight end. He turns 25 in March.

7. Vincent Jackson, WR, San Diego Chargers: The Chargers want him back, but at what cost? The indication is that the team won't tag him. He turned 29 in January.

8. Brent Grimes, CB, Atlanta Falcons: He is a feisty corner who can play man or zone. He is small, but he has great athletic ability. The Falcons missed him late when he was injured. He turns 29 in August.

9. Dwayne Bowe, WR, Kansas City Chiefs: The Chiefs want him back in the worst way, but at what price? He is their top target in the passing game, but do they tag him? He turns 28 in September.

10. Red Bryant, DT, Seattle Seahawks: He had eight starts in his first three seasons, but started 16 in 2011 and was a force on the Seattle defense. He is a perfect 3-4 end, which is where he played last season. He is this year's Ray McDonald. He turns 28 in April.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/17188691/top-50-free-agents-former-top-pick-williams-is-top-player-on-open-market

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

going over the list there are some guys that won't cost a ton that would be immediate upgrades over what we have.

34. Pierre Garcon, WR, 6'0" 210, Indianapolis Colts: He caught a career-high 70 passes last season without good quarterback play. He can fly, which will make him attractive to other teams. He turns 26 in August.

28. John Abraham, DE, 6'4" 265, Atlanta Falcons: He had 9 1/2 sacks for the Falcons in 2011 and played better late when he was entirely healthy. But he turns 34 in May. He will be hard-pressed to get a big contract because of that.

27. Aaron Ross, CB, 6'0" 190 New York Giants: He's been a decent starting corner for two Super Bowl teams. That means something. He's a good second corner. He turns 30 in September.

At least in Prisco's world if the Bills simply retain Bell and Johnson that would be a decent free agency period. Add another CB or WR then draft defense front 7 players and it might be the beginning of something. I agree with him on Bell. He is too young to give up on. And I just don't understand why they don't franchise Johnson and give themselves time to get a deal done later in the summer.

I would be super stocked with Mario, Stevie, Pierre. Jermichael and Ben Grubbs. That to me would speak volume about this team being serious about putting a competitive product on the field.

Mario Manningham maybe... but they definitely cant afford Mario Williams.

Franchise for a WR is 13mil...just my assumption, I think the Bills do not want to use the tag!

That's not accurate, it's around $9.4M. Franchise tag for Vincent Jackson would be around $13M as it would be his second year in a row being tagged and therefore he's due a 20% raise from his previous years salary.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8247df3a/article/franchisetag-values-will-be-down-across-the-board-in-2012

Edited by Carey Bender

Franchise for a WR is 13mil...just my assumption, I think the Bills do not want to use the tag!

While teams at times do let a player play under the tag more than not it is just used to buy them more time to negotiate. Regardless 13 million will be less than the signing bonus he will receive though higher than the per year salary he will ultimately get on the FA market.

Agree. They have been saving money for a few years now. Let's splurge on Mario

Double agree. RW has opened the wallet in the past for guys like Dockery(came back to bite him as he was awful). In fact RW has a h/o paying for other's FA and not keeping our own much to the dismay of the fans.

They really can afford him if they want to.

They really cant. Well... technically i guess you are right. If they want to they can go out and sign anybody. Probably trade for almost anybody also.

My point is that realistically they just dont have the cap room. Unless you can cut about 16-18 million dollars worth of players currently on the roster. Yeah it can be done if they really wanted but somehow i just dont think its wise.

Financial will is the only 800lb gorilla in the front office.

If the Bills wanted to sign Mario Williams or anybody else, frankly, they could. They are in outstanding cap and overall financial position to do something big.

Have the Texans announced that they are not tagging Mario Williams?

No. But the numbers just dont add up. Its reported that if they tag him it will cost in the 23 million dollar range. Theres no way they do it.

They have said their top priority is resigning him but with a stacked Defense (that did great without him) and Cap Restrictions, they very well may let him walk even though im sure they dont want to.

Thanks.

No. But the numbers just dont add up. Its reported that if they tag him it will cost in the 23 million dollar range. Theres no way they do it.

They have said their top priority is resigning him but with a stacked Defense (that did great without him) and Cap Restrictions, they very well may let him walk even though im sure they dont want to.

They really cant. Well... technically i guess you are right. If they want to they can go out and sign anybody. Probably trade for almost anybody also.

My point is that realistically they just dont have the cap room. Unless you can cut about 16-18 million dollars worth of players currently on the roster. Yeah it can be done if they really wanted but somehow i just dont think its wise.

[/

They have cap room to sign him