Pete Prisco's top 50

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh?? How is that number arrived at? The new CBA says the tag offer is the average salary of the top player at that position over the past 5 years.

Seymour was the last DE tagged--he got 12.4 million in 2009.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4872490

Peppers has the highest one year salary at 16.6 mil--his average is 14 mil. Where does 23 million come from?

Do you know if they changed the way they calculate franchise tags in the new CBA? I thought it was now the top 10 players but i could be wrong.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3636/mario-williams <<--anyway, there you go bud.

I dont know why its $23 million 2bh. Ive seen it all over the place. If im wrong then there are alot of bad sports writers floating around. The link i just posted is from rotoworlddotcom who sourced The Houston Chronicle. Both reliable sources imo. As for the specifics i cant help much... something to do with his cap hit from last year maybe?

It's a very simple point. What you expressed.....a fact free opinion......is not an absolute. The truth is that the Bills have cap flexibility. The point about free-ing up cash? Do you even know how an NFL team gets cash when it needs it? They don't "free it up" they either have it or they borrow it. Were you talking about cap space? Your grasp seems very shaky.

You talk a lot, but I haven't seen anything to support your "can't do" take. Just a lot of talk about variables when the bottom line is that the team is well under the cap, has plenty of options to trim payroll and the organization has been very profitable.

Will the Bills sign a top free agent? Who knows? In most offseasons, they have not. But it wasn't that long ago they went into free agency and paid a second-tier free agent named Derrick Dockery a then outrageous $7M per year and an off-the-screen free agent Langston Walker $5M per year. Nobody saw those players or those contracts coming, but they happened. Overdorf and Littman were there then, they are here now. That's the way it goes, you just don't know what this team will do. B-)

Yes. But i still dont think you will be able to understand.

Wait..... can any of those words or terms be misinterpreted?? Nope, im good. Okay. Go.

Yes. But i still dont think you will be able to understand.

Wait..... can any of those words or terms be misinterpreted?? Nope, im good. Okay. Go.

Trust me, if you followed the Bills of the late 1990's and their constant battle to stay under the salary cap, THIS is all too easy. Took about 7 years after that mess for the term "salary cap hell" to not be uttered at the thought of signing one free agent, but it finally did.

The Bills are in no imminent danger of salary cap issues, even if they did go out and sign a Mario Williams. Your pride is hurt, I get that, but if me calling you out a bit.....deep in a thread bothers you, go ahead and start a topic about your chicken little salary cap theory and see how those responses suit you. :lol:

Seriously, do it. C'mon. I promise I won't respond. It'll be fun. :thumbsup:

Trust me, if you followed the Bills of the late 1990's and their constant battle to stay under the salary cap, THIS is all too easy. Took about 7 years after that mess for the term "salary cap hell" to not be uttered at the thought of signing one free agent, but it finally did.

The Bills are in no imminent danger of salary cap issues, even if they did go out and sign a Mario Williams. Your pride is hurt, I get that, but if me calling you out a bit.....deep in a thread bothers you, go ahead and start a topic about your chicken little salary cap theory and see how those responses suit you. :lol:

Seriously, do it. C'mon. I promise I won't respond. It'll be fun. :thumbsup:

You still dont get it. Noone is argueing they are or will be in salary cap problems regardless. The point is they have a way of dealing with the cap and they arent going to change it to sign Mario Williams.

Your childish attitude and circular arguments are not going to change any of that. Im afraid the day i allow my pride to become b ruised by someone typing away on some keyboard is nowhere in sight so i guess youre on your own on that one. "Dont be scared Homie" as Nick said, its just the internet.

By the way, if you want to start a thread giving specific steps as to how the Bills would go out and sign Mario Williams and roster moves that they would make to get that to happen go ahead. You would look like the goofiest wannabe gm on this site.

Dude, give it up... they arent signing him. Get a life. :doh:

You still dont get it. Noone is argueing they are or will be in salary cap problems regardless. The point is they have a way of dealing with the cap and they arent going to change it to sign Mario Williams.

There you have it. Never again will the Bills amortize a signing bonus or use their rollover cap room in desperate search of a pass rush. I herby dub the; "The League Source". You can put that under your avatar so people know you are legit. :thumbsup:

There you have it. Never again will the Bills amortize a signing bonus or use their rollover cap room in desperate search of a pass rush. I herby dub the; "The League Source". You can put that under your avatar so people know you are legit. :thumbsup:

With all due respect- when have the Bills ever used their rollover? Even once?

Evidently, unused cap from 2011 can be used in 2012.

2012 Cap is estimated at $120,375,000. But maybe it's actually $125M. Depends really on who's talking.

B'flo was $14.5M under this year.

2012 BB Cap Space?

The bills use a cash to the cap system, it appears as though the site linked determines players cap numbers amortizing their bonuses (prorated bonus column). So the numbers from this site showing 25 or so million in space may actually be no where near the real numbers the bills are operating with.

Huh?? How is that number arrived at? The new CBA says the tag offer is the average salary of the top player at that position over the past 5 years.

Seymour was the last DE tagged--he got 12.4 million in 2009.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4872490

Peppers has the highest one year salary at 16.6 mil--his average is 14 mil. Where does 23 million come from?

It's the higher of the calculated value or 120% of his prior yr salary

Do you know if they changed the way they calculate franchise tags in the new CBA? I thought it was now the top 10 players but i could be wrong.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3636/mario-williams <<--anyway, there you go bud.

I dont know why its $23 million 2bh. Ive seen it all over the place. If im wrong then there are alot of bad sports writers floating around. The link i just posted is from rotoworlddotcom who sourced The Houston Chronicle. Both reliable sources imo. As for the specifics i cant help much... something to do with his cap hit from last year maybe?

As a former first pick that likely hit all escalators he's already paid much more than the tag which is determined by what you posted, OR a percentage over that players previous year salary- whichever is higher. He would get the percentage over. The clause is to essentially discourage long term franchising of top 2-3 players at any position as they would be getting hefty raises annually when you repeat the tag for additional years. It's likely his rookie deal ballooned to about 19m in it's final year plus another 20% for the tag is 23m

Edited by NoSaint

How about the years when there was no rollover and the bills were over the cap? It is not like the bills haven't spent a ton of money before

Sure but what started this back and forth discussion wasn't whether the Bills were cheap. It was whether or not it was feasible to sign Mario Williams under the current circumstances. My stalker seems to think they will while everyone who understands cash to cap realizes it isn't.

Sure but what started this back and forth discussion wasn't whether the Bills were cheap. It was whether or not it was feasible to sign Mario Williams under the current circumstances. My stalker seems to think they will while everyone who understands cash to cap realizes it isn't.

I don't believe the $25M number that you're quoting for their cap space is using the "cash to cap" method that you're then applying a potential Williams contract to.

All this is likely meaningless though because the chance of him wanting to come here over some other team is probably less than 1%.

Edited by Carey Bender