Pete Prisco's top 50

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to say it but.... youre offyourocker

Have you read any information about the Bills cap room??? They are estimated to have 35 mil this year alone. Mario will probably be singing for around 10 mil per year. So the bills can easily sign him, stevie, their rookies and a couple lower level free agents.

Have you read any information about the Bills cap room??? They are estimated to have 35 mil this year alone. Mario will probably be singing for around 10 mil per year. So the bills can easily sign him, stevie, their rookies and a couple lower level free agents.

What? Where did you hear that they would be $35 million under the cap?

Mario Williams at $10 million a year??? Try $16 million+ and thats if a bidding war doesnt get out of hand!

Now its finally making sense as to why we arent agreeing on this subject... you have all your numbers wrong. :doh:

Mario Williams at $10 million a year??? Try $16 million+ and thats if a bidding war doesnt get out of hand!

Now its finally making sense as to why we arent agreeing on this subject... you have all your numbers wrong. :doh:

NFL numbers aren't publicized, so what they have under the cap is unknown. Also there are multiple ways of calculating a teams cap number, so the cap room that you may see on one site may be accurate, but may not be in the fashion that the bills determine their cap.

I owe you an apology. Most footbal expert name Buffalo as a possible landing spot for Williams. I foolishly listened to them.

NFL numbers aren't publicized, so what they have under the cap is unknown. Also there are multiple ways of calculating a teams cap number, so the cap room that you may see on one site may be accurate, but may not be in the fashion that the bills determine their cap.

The salary cap last year was $123,375,000. This year it is widely projected to be about $120,000,000.

I have made plenty of posts about how numerous factors come into play when determining a teams cap space. You can circumvent the cap here and there which alot of teams do but its definitely possible to get a general sense of where each team is at. The Bills are about $25 mil under... nowhere near $35 million.

Sorry.

The salary cap last year was $123,375,000. This year it is widely projected to be about $120,000,000.

I have made plenty of posts about how numerous factors come into play when determining a teams cap space. You can circumvent the cap here and there which alot of teams do but its definitely possible to get a general sense of where each team is at. The Bills are about $25 mil under... nowhere near $35 million.

Sorry.

Don't apologize, just share where your numbers are from. Also cap space from last year now carries over to this year.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/141339-the-2011-cba-has-a-salary-cap-carry-over-clause/

Edited by Carey Bender

I owe you an apology. Most footbal expert name Buffalo as a possible landing spot for Williams. I foolishly listened to them.

You dont owe me an apology my friend, it was a simply misunderstanding. Ive done the same thing and probably been wrong a whole lot more often than you.

Don't apologize, just share where your numbers are from. Also cap space from last year now carries over to this year.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/141339-the-2011-cba-has-a-salary-cap-carry-over-clause/

Sure. Go to http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/ and have a look around.

Www.rotoworld.com is good for contract details as well and updates frequently.

Other than that i just read alot of nfl reports and try to catch a few updates on nfl network.

Mario Manningham maybe... but they definitely cant afford Mario Williams.

Expressing absolutes........of which they have no idea what they are talking about..........starting arguments on TBD for two decades! :thumbsup:

Please stop pretending you understand the cap better than anyone else who has read the same data. The Bills have spoken of a "cash to cap" system but that is not a league mandate. Even that data doesn't make signing a player to a huge contract an impossibility. They have cap room, they have players like Dwan Edwards, Kelsay, Merriman who don't fit scheme, or are old, or injured who could be cut to add extra space.................are they going to sign Mario Williams?..........the answer is probably not, for a variety of reasons....... but financially it is possible and it wouldn't be the first time the Bills had the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. I know Bruce Smith was and I think Ted Washington was when he signed his new deal in 1997.

Awww..do you need a hug?

Expressing absolutes........of which they have no idea what they are talking about..........starting arguments on TBD for two decades! :thumbsup:

Please stop pretending you understand the cap better than anyone else who has read the same data. - Im sorry if i gave off that impression. As i have posted before i actually do not understand the cap better than many other people. I try to learn as much as i can from those here who are knowledgable about it though. Most importantly i keep an open mind and listen.. but i do NOT start arguements. Your insinuation is incorrect and a bit insulting but i forgive you anyway :thumbsup:

The Bills have spoken of a "cash to cap" system but that is not a league mandate. -Youre right it's not a league mandate. So what? Still doesnt change anything. Moving on..

Even that data doesn't make signing a player to a huge contract an impossibility. -It doesnt make it an impossiblility at all. Youre right again! In the Nfl as in life anything is possible as long as you are willing to sacrifice accordingly and accept the repercussions. We'll get back to those sacrifices and repurcussions in just one sec..

Oh They have cap room, they have players like Dwan Edwards, Kelsay, Merriman who don't fit scheme, or are old, or injured who could be cut to add extra space................. -Yeah, you are right again sir! No arguements here either. You cut players = you make cap space. Edwards(scheme), Kelsay(old?)hmmmm, Merriman(injured). As im sure you know, if you cut Edwards you will save about $4 million and pay nothing. But if you cut Kelsay you save $3.5 million while paying over $2 million. Im not saying its not worth it or it is, im strictly stating facts... (or absolutes- which i do have an idea of what im talking about.) <<See? Im learning already. :thumbsup: Now we come to Merriman. According to Rotoworld.comand and other sources, if he passes a physical he will automatically have $3 million of his $4 million base salary guaranteed whether you cut him or not. Plus bonuses. My OPINION is that he will pass the physical thus saving you less money and cap space than cutting him is worth.

are they going to sign Mario Williams?..........the answer is probably not, for a variety of reasons.......- Huh? Probably not? Is that what this is all about? I didnt use the word "probably" to quantify my statement? :lol: Thats weak. Proabably is an interesting word my friend but im not running for office. I can start a thread saying that the Bills can go out and trade for the #1 pick overall. Technically they can. Does it make any sense to do so considering what it will cost? Nope. But its not impossible to pull off. Yet somehow I doubt many people will respond with only a - "they probably wont".

..but financially it is possible and it wouldn't be the first time the Bills had the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. I know Bruce Smith was and I think Ted Washington was when he signed his new deal in 1997.

Okay back to that whole thing about repercussions. If you are willing to face them than anything is possible. There is money to be saved from cutting players. Not resigning players. Veteran salary exemptions. Reconstructing the top players base salaries. An owner can write to the league and specify how much of last years unspent cap he wants to roll over to this year (not sure if the Bills qualify for this now). Trading away draft picks. Trading away players. CBA loopholes. But whatever you do you better free up about $15-$18 million in cash because thats what it looks like it will take to sign Williams.

I used the word cant. It does seem to offend you. If the Bills were a team willing to get into bidding wars when signing free agents, and were in a position to make a final push to a championship it would be different. But as it stands now, given all the factors to consider, "cant" may not be as accurate as "probably not" but i do think its more honest.

I don't get why people rag on the bills for not getting into bidding wars with other teams. Bidding wars aren't all that common in the nfl. Unless you count things like the bills making a play for clabo as a 'bidding war." Half the time teams makes offers not even realizing another team already made an offer. Any "bidding war" is usually a smokescreen done by an agent.

I don't get why people rag on the bills for not getting into bidding wars with other teams. Bidding wars aren't all that common in the nfl. Unless you count things like the bills making a play for clabo as a 'bidding war." Half the time teams makes offers not even realizing another team already made an offer. Any "bidding war" is usually a smokescreen done by an agent.

Randomness.

Awww..do you need a hug?

Okay back to that whole thing about repercussions. If you are willing to face them than anything is possible. There is money to be saved from cutting players. Not resigning players. Veteran salary exemptions. Reconstructing the top players base salaries. An owner can write to the league and specify how much of last years unspent cap he wants to roll over to this year (not sure if the Bills qualify for this now). Trading away draft picks. Trading away players. CBA loopholes. But whatever you do you better free up about $15-$18 million in cash because thats what it looks like it will take to sign Williams.

I used the word cant. It does seem to offend you. If the Bills were a team willing to get into bidding wars when signing free agents, and were in a position to make a final push to a championship it would be different. But as it stands now, given all the factors to consider, "cant" may not be as accurate as "probably not" but i do think its more honest.

It's a very simple point. What you expressed.....a fact free opinion......is not an absolute. The truth is that the Bills have cap flexibility. The point about free-ing up cash? Do you even know how an NFL team gets cash when it needs it? They don't "free it up" they either have it or they borrow it. Were you talking about cap space? Your grasp seems very shaky.

You talk a lot, but I haven't seen anything to support your "can't do" take. Just a lot of talk about variables when the bottom line is that the team is well under the cap, has plenty of options to trim payroll and the organization has been very profitable.

Will the Bills sign a top free agent? Who knows? In most offseasons, they have not. But it wasn't that long ago they went into free agency and paid a second-tier free agent named Derrick Dockery a then outrageous $7M per year and an off-the-screen free agent Langston Walker $5M per year. Nobody saw those players or those contracts coming, but they happened. Overdorf and Littman were there then, they are here now. That's the way it goes, you just don't know what this team will do. B-)

No. But the numbers just dont add up. Its reported that if they tag him it will cost in the 23 million dollar range. Theres no way they do it.

They have said their top priority is resigning him but with a stacked Defense (that did great without him) and Cap Restrictions, they very well may let him walk even though im sure they dont want to.

Huh?? How is that number arrived at? The new CBA says the tag offer is the average salary of the top player at that position over the past 5 years.

Seymour was the last DE tagged--he got 12.4 million in 2009.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4872490

Peppers has the highest one year salary at 16.6 mil--his average is 14 mil. Where does 23 million come from?

Will the Bills sign a top free agent? Who knows? In most offseasons, they have not. But it wasn't that long ago they went into free agency and paid a second-tier free agent named Derrick Dockery a then outrageous $7M per year and an off-the-screen free agent Langston Walker $5M per year. Nobody saw those players or those contracts coming, but they happened. Overdorf and Littman were there then, they are here now. That's the way it goes, you just don't know what this team will do. B-)

Dockery was the second best lineman available that year behind steinbeich i think who signed with browns. Dockery didn't pay up to his contract, but he was a second tier guy

Dockery was the second best lineman available that year behind steinbeich i think who signed with browns. Dockery didn't pay up to his contract, but he was a second tier guy

In other news, Marv Levy was NOT considered an overpaying laughingstock as a GM. :lol:

Bottom line: Demetrius Bell may be the top LT free agent.......does that mean he is a top tier FA? If that's the case then have at it. Dockery was top tier and Bell....like Dockery....should expect approximately the second largest contract in NFL history for a LT.

Dockery never made a pro bowl before or since. It was pretty unanimous that Steinbach was the clear cut top G available and even he wasn't a lock pro bowl player. Steinbach's contract was for $49.5M with a $17M bonus. Dock got $49M and $18M.