McShays Latest Mock

section122

No offense to either Conlan or Brown but if we pick Brown (and actually hire at the same time a DC worth a damn who can see we have the most dominant 4-3 DE in the history of the game and instantaneously switch us to a 4-3 defense) we win one or two Super Bowls. I can't even begin to imagine the havoc Bruce Smith and Jerome Brown create playing next to each other in an aggressive 4-3 (with Talley and Biscuit at OLB). I defy you to tell me that team would not have won at least one Super Bowl.

It was known that Brown from Miami Univ. was not a very disciplined person, especially off the field. There is little doubt that on the basis of talent alone Brown would have been a better pick. But it was his lack of discipline and maturity that was his downfall.

In the NFL of today under the iron disciplinary fist of Goodell a player such as Jerome Brown is a high risk player whose off the field exploits can have negative repercussions on his ability to play. In today's NFL a HOF player such as Lawrence Taylor would not be able to play in this Goodell disciplinary era because of his drug use and reckless off the field behavior.

You can imagine the havoc that Jerome Brown and Bruce Smith could have had if they played together. I can't because Brown got himself killed early in his career while the more mature Conlan had a long distinguished career with the Bills during its glory days.

As I stated in the prior post I would prefer a player such as Upshaw over a possibly more talented Couples because I prefer having a player who is going to be more consistent and diligent in his preparations. Make no mistake about my position; I'm not suggesting that Couples is a bad character. I know little about him. But what I do know is that it is widely reported that in many games he slacked off. The Bills have had a history of misfiring with their first round selection. When the red flags are already known it is better to be careful and not gamble with that first round pick.

As I stated in the prior post I would prefer a player such as Upshaw over a possibly more talented Couples because I prefer having a player who is going to be more consistent and diligent in his preparations. Make no mistake about my position; I'm not suggesting that Couples is a bad character. I know little about him. But what I do know is that it is widely reported that in many games he slacked off. The Bills have had a history of misfiring with their first round selection. When the red flags are already known it is better to be careful and not gamble with that first round pick.

This is a tough call because I also think the Bills are void of high end talent. If Coples is the talent and Upshaw is solid, man it would be difficult not to go after talent and try to motivate it.

For those that say pass rushers aren't available in the top of this draft he has them going picks 7,8, and 10. Coples @ 7, Ingram @ 8(dolphins). Also off the board are Luck, Kalil, Reiff, RG3, Claiborne, Blackmon, and Brockers. He also has the Jets taking Barron (S Alabama) and the Pats* Chandler Jones (@27) and Brandon Thompson DT Clemson (@31). A couple of other things I found interesting where; Mercilus is not in his first round, Tannehill to the Broncos(!), Kendall Wright ahead of Floyd (starting to see this more and more), and two TEs in the first round (Fleener to Hou @ 26 and Allen to NYG). Also like his comment that I bolded!

Buffalo Bills

Record: 6-10

Courtney Upshaw, DE/OLB, Alabama

Buffalo nailed the 2011 draft with three strong picks on defense (DL Marcell Dareus, CB Aaron Williams, LB Kelvin Sheppard), and the chance to add a pass-rusher like Upshaw would be hard to pass up. Upshaw is a versatile DE/OLB hybrid, and while he doesn't have elite speed he shows savvy as a pass-rusher and effective quickness-to-power moves. He's also very strong against the run and was highly productive in the SEC.

So what say you guys?

He's a great player but not my first choice. Tannehill is not going to the Broncos but if he does I'd pick Tebow up in a heart beat.

This is a tough call because I also think the Bills are void of high end talent. If Coples is the talent and Upshaw is solid, man it would be difficult not to go after talent and try to motivate it.

Sometimes fans get seduced by a player who can make a big play such as getting a sack. But if that so called more explosive player is inconsistent he is more prone to get burned on plays where he didn't fulfill his position responsibilities. What good is getting more sacks if you are also going to give up more big negative plays than positive plays?

Take a player such as London Fletcher. Over the past decade or so from a production standpoint he has been as good as the best LBs in the game. His physical attributes and his combine times would not impress many scouts. But when he is on the field he knows how to play.

I don't want to overestimate Underwood's talents. He is not an explosive player like Von Miller. There are few players available with those special skills. But what you are going to get from Underwood is both a tough and smart brand of play. I'll take that type of player over the more talented and less consistent player any time.

After so many misses with their high draft picks the Bills desperately need to make their early picks counts. Getting a player such as Underwood or a similar type of player is the right approach to take.

yep. Not to say the info is bad or not credible but his mock is directly drawn from his rankings.

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2010/03/10/mcshay_todd/

quoted from the article

McShay is the director of college football scouting for ESPN Scouts Inc., where he has been evaluating prospects for the NFL Draft since 1998

Prior to joining ESPN, McShay worked full-time for “The War Room,” (1999-2006), a start-up scouting publication created by former NFL scout Gary Horton. It soon became a crosscheck for 16 NFL scouting departments and a go-to-source of information for CBS and The Sporting News. ESPN purchased the business in 2006 and changed the name to Scouts Inc.

Well I assume he is not doing the rankings but more reporting what his scouts say as "director". Still it is disheartening to know that McShay is just another face of what I thought was an independent source of information. As stated doesn't mean he is right or wrong it's just not an independent 3rd opinion on player rankings.

He's a great player but not my first choice. Tannehill is not going to the Broncos but if he does I'd pick Tebow up in a heart beat.

I'm just surprised they put him there. I have a friend who is a Bronco's fan and he's convinced the Broncos will draft a qb early but I think he's crazy. What is interesting though is I have seen Mocks with him going as high as the Redskins and others where he is at the beginning of the second round. He has seemingly emerged as the 3rd rated qb but it is a surprise to see such varied projections (albeit they are extremely early ones).

I really don't get the logic of saying because he was killed in a non football related accident, Brown was a lesser player than another, it is about what actual skills and performance he displayed on the field. Not a tragic accident. That is how you compare players.

I want Coples but no part of Ingram

like Upshaw but think he falls in this draft

Now heres a in depth look at a players resume that would make you want this person choosing my draft picks :blink: you need to pay attention when your watching tape Ingrams in the top 10 best DE/LB draft corp this year for a reason . His numbers in college are every bit as good as Coples & Upshaw & he's a lot faster than Upshaw , so don't quit your day job dude !!!

Edited by T master

No offense to either Conlan or Brown but if we pick Brown (and actually hire at the same time a DC worth a damn who can see we have the most dominant 4-3 DE in the history of the game and instantaneously switch us to a 4-3 defense) we win one or two Super Bowls. I can't even begin to imagine the havoc Bruce Smith and Jerome Brown create playing next to each other in an aggressive 4-3 (with Talley and Biscuit at OLB). I defy you to tell me that team would not have won at least one Super Bowl.

THE TALK THEN,wasnt just about jerome brown but we also passed on rod woodson !!!

I really don't get the logic of saying because he was killed in a non football related accident, Brown was a lesser player than another, it is about what actual skills and performance he displayed on the field. Not a tragic accident. That is how you compare players.

This is a different era than before. If a person lacks discipline off the field or is involved in reckless behavior it certainly does have football repercussions. Lawrence Taylor is a HOF player. Under the current system he wouldn't be able to play because of his drug use and his irresponsbile off the field behavior.

Jerome Brown got killed in a tragic car accident caused by excessive speed. He was the driver. His lack of maturity and recklessness certainly had an impact on his life and career. This wasn't a case where he was a victim by another person's irresponsible behavior. This is a case where his death was caused by his own poor judgment.

Pacman Jones had exceptional athletic abilities. However, his talents were rendered useless because of his immaturity, mostly off the field. My basic point is when selecting a player one has to factor in not only the football abilities you have to also consider the type of person you are bringing on to your franchise.

This discussion originated with the issue of whether it would be better to draft a probably more talented Couples over a less talented but more dependable player such as Upshaw. It is already known that Couples has a history of not giving full effort. Upshaw has a history of always giving full effort. In my view it would be smarter to use your first round pick to take an Upshaw type player over a Couples type player. Gambling on a player in a lower round is justifiable. But not with your high first round pick.

I want Coples but no part of Ingram

like Upshaw but think he falls in this draft

Just read on BB.com that Ingram will likely leapfrog Upshaw due to his speed & that will put him in the top 10 of the draft theres another knock on your scouting skills !!!! :oops:

It seems to me that if the Bills are to use their first pick on a DE, that person has to be a significant upgrade over the DEs currently on the roster or else it's a waste of a pick. On the other hand, if there's a "Bruce Smith" available, by all means grab him. Right now none of the guys being talked about seem to be a major upgrade nor do they begin to approach Bruce's talent.

I think the Bills are going to make a play for Umenyiora. I think his days in NY are numbered and I think he has a few good years left. The Giants D-line is to full and that would be a Big contract of there books. I really believe he might be the BIG acquisition Buddy is talking about.

I think the Bills are going to make a play for Umenyiora. I think his days in NY are numbered and I think he has a few good years left. The Giants D-line is to full and that would be a Big contract of there books. I really believe he might be the BIG acquisition Buddy is talking about.

I don't think a team that is this far away from challenging for a Super Bowl can make a play for a guy who

will be 31 during the next season and who benefited greatly from the other great players on the Giants'

DL.

IF he comes cheaply, OK, but I think he is much more valuable to a team that is very close to competing

for a championship than he is to a team 1-2 years from championship contention.

I don't think a team that is this far away from challenging for a Super Bowl can make a play for a guy who

will be 31 during the next season and who benefited greatly from the other great players on the Giants'

DL.

IF he comes cheaply, OK, but I think he is much more valuable to a team that is very close to competing

for a championship than he is to a team 1-2 years from championship contention.

I read the Giants are looking to shop him. He might be abailable for a 4th??. He'd want a new deal but if we could come to terms he could be perfect. He should have 3 good years left during which time we could groom his replacement.

Personally I'd like to bring John Abraham in for 1-2 years AND draft a pass rush DE w/n the first two rds. That way you're not betting your whole pass rush on one guy staying healthy.

I think we're going to make a serious go at Mario Williams.

And if we land him? All these mocks will have to go back to the drawing board, because we'll be taking the best WR available.

Watch our picks this week at DraftTek. I'm almost assuming the pass rusher comes from FA.