McShays Latest Mock

section122

For those that say pass rushers aren't available in the top of this draft he has them going picks 7,8, and 10. Coples @ 7, Ingram @ 8(dolphins). Also off the board are Luck, Kalil, Reiff, RG3, Claiborne, Blackmon, and Brockers. He also has the Jets taking Barron (S Alabama) and the Pats* Chandler Jones (@27) and Brandon Thompson DT Clemson (@31). A couple of other things I found interesting where; Mercilus is not in his first round, Tannehill to the Broncos(!), Kendall Wright ahead of Floyd (starting to see this more and more), and two TEs in the first round (Fleener to Hou @ 26 and Allen to NYG). Also like his comment that I bolded!

Buffalo Bills

Record: 6-10

Courtney Upshaw, DE/OLB, Alabama

Buffalo nailed the 2011 draft with three strong picks on defense (DL Marcell Dareus, CB Aaron Williams, LB Kelvin Sheppard), and the chance to add a pass-rusher like Upshaw would be hard to pass up. Upshaw is a versatile DE/OLB hybrid, and while he doesn't have elite speed he shows savvy as a pass-rusher and effective quickness-to-power moves. He's also very strong against the run and was highly productive in the SEC.

So what say you guys?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we're going to make a serious go at Mario Williams.

And if we land him? All these mocks will have to go back to the drawing board, because we'll be taking the best WR available.

I would be inclined to think that we will likely find the WR in FA and get the pass rusher in the draft. Depening on if Nix gets snow jobbed by Merriman again or not he might not think DE is a need and be more inclined to get a OLB like Upshaw and get a DE to "develop" behind Merriman.

I like that Upshaw has been an extremely productive player on a team that plays high level competition for more than one season. I do have a little concern withhis size and if he canplay DE in a 4-3, but I rate productivity over measurables in my evaluations. He has been productive. Has anyone heard what Dareus has said about him, if anything. They played together last year and his input would be valuable.

I also like that his home town - EUFAULA, AL -- almost reads like BUFFALO, NY :blush: Not sure the weather will be similar. <_<

For those that say pass rushers aren't available in the top of this draft he has them going picks 7,8, and 10. Coples @ 7, Ingram @ 8(dolphins). Also off the board are Luck, Kalil, Reiff, RG3, Claiborne, Blackmon, and Brockers. He also has the Jets taking Barron (S Alabama) and the Pats* Chandler Jones (@27) and Brandon Thompson DT Clemson (@31). A couple of other things I found interesting where; Mercilus is not in his first round, Tannehill to the Broncos(!), Kendall Wright ahead of Floyd (starting to see this more and more), and two TEs in the first round (Fleener to Hou @ 26 and Allen to NYG). Also like his comment that I bolded!

Buffalo Bills

Buffalo nailed the 2011 draft with three strong picks on defense (DL Marcell Dareus, CB Aaron Williams, LB Kelvin Sheppard), and the chance to add a pass-rusher like Upshaw would be hard to pass up. Upshaw is a versatile DE/OLB hybrid, and while he doesn't have elite speed he shows savvy as a pass-rusher and effective quickness-to-power moves. He's also very strong against the run and was highly productive in the SEC.

So what say you guys?

I'll take Upshaw. I think RGIII is worth trading 2-3 high picks for, but that's only in my dreams. Upshaw is a sturdy player, probably not much upside, but also very low risk. So long as he stays healthy...he'll produce.

I'd love to see the Bills make a run at Mario Williams. Maybe Ralph will give Buddy the okay, maybe not. They need to add to the payroll in order to meet the minimum cap. I just can't see it coming together. Bills need to pay a premium to convince that type of name to come to Buffalo, and I don't think Ralph will go for it.

Buffalo Bills

So what say you guys?

Melvin Ingram out of South Carolina will be a better NFL player than Upshaw. Go to Youtube and watch some tape on the two. Ingram is much more physical, faster, and a better athlete than Upshaw. Upshaw will fall in the draft like Nick Fairley do last year.

Upshaw Ingram

2011- 9.5 sacks 2011- 10.5 sacks

17.5 career sacks 21.5 career sacks

2011 18 Tackles for a loss 2011- 15 tackles for a loss

36.5 tackles for a loss career 30.5- career

take these stats and consider that Upshaw is generally asked to play the line of scrimmage (rush the passer and stop the run) While Ingram is all over the place covering passes down field, Upshaw has had more oppurtunities at the line. Ingram is also a special teams stud, has returned kicks and caught passes. IMO Ingram will go higher than Upshaw come April.

I want Coples but no part of Ingram

like Upshaw but think he falls in this draft

Things will obviously shake up after the combine but right now Upshaw is listed as the 16th best player or something like that on espn.com. If the draft took place today they would say he fits a need but was a reach.

I could be surprised but I don't think that anyone will be blown away by his measureables boosting his stock too much. He's a bit short with short arms. Hes nothing special in the speed department that I am aware of but he is a SOLIDLY built player.

Measureables aren't everything but I would say that they are likely the largest contributing factors to post combine draft stock rises. There should be no question that we should at the very least be able to get Upshaw.

That being said I would love for Coples to fall to us. I don't buy the "he played not to get hurt" and "inconsistent motor" BS. The guy is a beast! You can't teach that but you can motivate it. Let's not talk ourselves out of the next Orakpo like some of us did prior to the ?2009? draft. Of course nobody expected Maybin instead but just sayin.

Edited by PDaDdy

Things will obviously shake up after the combine but right now Upshaw is listed as the 16th best player or something like that on espn.com. If the draft took place today they would say he fits a need but was a reach.

I just think he ends up falling a little bit

not sure where he fits in a 4-3 either

i think Coples is exactly what they need, pass rusher that can play the run and makes a lot of plays behind the line of scrimmage

I just think he ends up falling a little bit

not sure where he fits in a 4-3 either

i think Coples is exactly what they need, pass rusher that can play the run and makes a lot of plays behind the line of scrimmage

Despite his detracters Coples appears to be EXACTLY what we need. I'm not a huge fan of moving up or even discussing it due to a realistic lack of trade partners. If we could however throw in one of our 2 or 3 extra picks this year to move up just ahead of the Dolphins and Panthers to say where the Jaguars sit at 7 I would not be pissed one bit.

I could be surprised but I don't think that anyone will be blown away by his measureables boosting his stock too much. He's a bit short with short arms. Hes nothing special in the speed department that I am aware of but he is a SOLIDLY built player.

Measureables aren't everything but I would say that they are likely the largest contributing factors to post combine draft stock rises. There should be no question that we should at the very least be able to get Upshaw.

That being said I would love for Coples to fall to us. I don't buy the "he played not to get hurt" and "inconsistent motor" BS. The guy is a beast! You can't teach that but you can motivate it. Let's not talk ourselves out of the next Orakpo like some of us did prior to the ?2009? draft. Of course nobody expected Maybin instead but just sayin.

Taking a guy projected at 16 at number 10 is not a "reach."

"Reach" and "draft value" are 2 of the most idiotic terms thrown about when it comes to draft analisys. They have no meaning or basis in actual reality. It's simply a way for these mock draft losers to make it look like they were right and the NFL teams were wrong.

Edited by Ramius

I want Coples but no part of Ingram

like Upshaw but think he falls in this draft

I dunno what you see in Ingram to say you want no part of him. Reminds me of Dumervil. Pretty much unblockable. That being said...wouldn't we all be happy with Upshaw, Ingram, Mercilus, Coples....just no cornerback or QB reach. I'm even okay with Reiff or Martin, etc.

I think we're going to make a serious go at Mario Williams.

And if we land him? All these mocks will have to go back to the drawing board, because we'll be taking the best WR available.

Don't we need 2 pass rushers? Kelsay may have gotten an extension but that doesn't mean he won't be pushed for his job... I say we go after Mario Williams and Vincent Jackson in FA n then leave FA alone... Then focus on the draft and with the first pick being another pass rusher.

2nd pick should be an outside linebacker

3rd pick - OL, TE, WR

The rest just cross our fingers...

Oh and obviously sign our own free agents that need to be signed...

Not an easy year to be Buddy Nix if you ask me... This year HAS to be his best draft and free agent signing year or he's done...

Edited by HuSeYiN1978

Taking a guy projected at 16 at number 10 is not a "reach."

"Reach" and "draft value" are 2 of the most idiotic terms thrown about when it comes to draft analisys. They have no meaning or basis in actual reality. It's simply a way for these mock draft losers to make it look like they were right and the NFL teams were wrong.

Well it's actually based on the players ranking by scouts. Scouts Inc specifically. This isn't Kyper and McShay grading them who have actually had some successes to back up their speculation. Kyper in particular. So the concept of a reach is what it is. You can't make it go away because you want it to. Given that the draft is inherently risky teams usually try to go with the players that have the "better odds" of succeeding which they attempt to equate to some sort of draft stock rating.

I get that you are in love with Upshaw. I wouldn't be upset at all if we took him at #10. What an AWESOME "consolation prize" he would be. I would still prefer Coples because I think he perfectly fits our needs and would be without question the highest ranked player on either side of the ball if he fell to us at #10 which he won't :( Upshaw also fits a huge need for us as well and was a teammate of Dareus which I think would bode well for the Bills.

Edited by PDaDdy

I'd be happy with the Upshaw pick.

I don't care if the Bills go out and get Mario Williams. I'd still take Upshaw.

I'd be delightfully stunned to see that happen, but you can never have enough pass rushing talent. Hoard it like it's gold.

Well it's actually based on the players ranking by scouts. Scouts Inc specifically. This isn't Kyper and McShay grading them who have actually had some successes to back up their speculation. Kyper in particular. So the concept of a reach is what it is. You can't make it go away because you want it to. Given that the draft is inherently risky teams usually try to go with the players that have the "better odds" of succeeding which they attempt to equate to some sort of draft stock rating.

I get that you are in love with Upshaw. I wouldn't be upset at all if we took him at #10. What an AWESOME "consolation prize" he would be. I would still prefer Coples because I think he perfectly fits our needs and would be without question the highest ranked player on either side of the ball if he fell to us at #10 which he won't :( Upshaw also fits a huge need for us as well and was a teammate of Dareus which I think would bode well for the Bills.

Well I don't necessarily disagree with your points I do want to point out that mcshay IS scouts inc.