2 42 Ronnell Lewis OLB43 Oklahoma

3 74 Kendall Reyes DT43 Connecticut

4 105 Billy Winn DE43 Boise State

4 124 Jaye Howard DT43 Florida

5 137 Nicolas Jean-Baptiste DT34 Baylor

5 160 Kevin Koger TE Michigan

6 169 Ryan Steed CB Furman

7 200 Russell Wilson QB Wisconsin

Do it the Giants' way--waves of defensive linemen and pass rushers! Marsha won't know what hit him. Yes, I haven't given up coffee.

Astro

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 10 Whitney Mercilus DE43 Illinois

Do it the Giants' way--waves of defensive linemen and pass rushers! Marsha won't know what hit him. Yes, I haven't given up coffee.

Astro

I'll take Whitney Mercilus in a nano-second!! That kid is a beast!!!

The Giants had two, yes count them, two sacks! The THREAT of sacks by that Giants front was enough to wear down the New England OL over the course of the game, IMO. If the Bills use this blueprint, it will validate the notion that for two Super Bowls, the Giants had superior pass rushers, and unleashed them to hound Brady and Co. and THAT is the modus operandi to defeat them next year and several years running after that! If you come with a superior rush and squat on Brady's short passing game, the odds change strongly in the Bills quest to beat this guy, and other teams are after EXACTLY the same objective. I would be ALL IN with a defensive draft from top to bottom, because it would make it very likely that there are more HITS than misses when unveiling this plan of attack. Count me in....

Note: I don't let Courtney Upshaw slide by because he's the most NFL ready defensive player in this draft, Bar none! Additionally, Cordarro Law is one of my favorites in April, and if he lands in Buffalo, he'll make a mark as a rookie in 2012, bank on it.

The Giants had two, yes count them, two sacks! The THREAT of sacks by that Giants front was enough to wear down the New England OL over the course of the game, IMO. If the Bills use this blueprint, it will validate the notion that for two Super Bowls, the Giants had superior pass rushers, and unleashed them to hound Brady and Co. and THAT is the modus operandi to defeat them next year and several years running after that! If you come with a superior rush and squat on Brady's short passing game, the odds change strongly in the Bills quest to beat this guy, and other teams are after EXACTLY the same objective. I would be ALL IN with a defensive draft from top to bottom, because it would make it very likely that there are more HITS than misses when unveiling this plan of attack. Count me in....

Note: I don't let Courtney Upshaw slide by because he's the most NFL ready defensive player in this draft, Bar none! Additionally, Cordarro Law is one of my favorites in April, and if he lands in Buffalo, he'll make a mark as a rookie in 2012, bank on it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

All pass rush draft (maybe better next year though; Margus Hunt,Jadeveon Clowney,Devin Taylor,Barkevious Mingo, Jarvis jones, etc)

1. Melvin Ingram South Carolina 6'2" 271 DE

2. Jared Crick Nebraska 6'4" 285 DE

3. Chandler Jones Syracuse 6'5" 265 OLB34 DE43

4. Emmanuel Acho Texas 6'2" 240 SILB OLB43

4. Derek Wolfe Cincinnati 6'5" 295 DE34 DT43

5. Brett Roy Nevada 6'3" 280 DT43

5. Olivier Vernon Miami (FL) 6'3" 265 OLB34 DE43

6. Julian Miller West Virginia 6'3" 258 DE43

7. Tyrone Crawford Boise State 6'4" 278 DE34 DE43

The Giants would never draft Upshaw in the first. He's not only short, but he's got very short arms. The Giants clearly start with the prototype size and move on with the evaluation from there.

He's certainly not a DE, and a "solid" OLB pick is not a value with the 10th overall pick. I think that DE Whitney Mercilus is the guy at 10, he's tall, has long arms and he got 16.5 sacks last year in college. I'm sold.

No more "versatile" players, let's start drafting guys who's size fits the position they'll be playing at the next level.

The Giants would never draft Upshaw in the first. He's not only short, but he's got very short arms. The Giants clearly start with the prototype size and move on with the evaluation from there.

He's certainly not a DE, and a "solid" OLB pick is not a value with the 10th overall pick. I think that DE Whitney Mercilus is the guy at 10, he's tall, has long arms and he got 16.5 sacks last year in college. I'm sold.

No more "versatile" players, let's start drafting guys who's size fits the position they'll be playing at the next level.

Mercilus is a one year wonder. Nix has stated he likes guys with a history of production. I don't see him as our pick.

Love the idea, hate the theoretical execution of the idea.

One year wonders in the Big Ten from a mediocre program in a top ten draft pick....we've seen that movie before.

Outside of Aaron Maybin, Mercilus reminds me a lot of the hype surrounding Bowers last year. He finished his rookie season with 25 tackles, 1.5 sacks. Now, that may be alright where the Bucs picked him, but at one time, Bowers was being discussed as a Top 5 pick.

Bills need a plug and play defensive player with an established record of production.

Mercilus is a one year wonder. Nix has stated he likes guys with a history of production. I don't see him as our pick.

He was also a low level recruit coming out of high school and barely touched the field prior to his senior year at not a top college program. Granted he had a monster year, but in my opinion there isn't enough of a track record for him to be a top 10 pick.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

All pass rush draft (maybe better next year though; Margus Hunt,Jadeveon Clowney,Devin Taylor,Barkevious Mingo, Jarvis jones, etc)

Clowney is only going to be a true sophmore next season. It'll be 2 more years before he's draft eligible.

One year wonders in the Big Ten from a mediocre program in a top ten draft pick....we've seen that movie before.

Outside of Aaron Maybin, Mercilus reminds me a lot of the hype surrounding Bowers last year. He finished his rookie season with 25 tackles, 1.5 sacks. Now, that may be alright where the Bucs picked him, but at one time, Bowers was being discussed as a Top 5 pick.

Bills need a plug and play defensive player with an established record of production.

Bowers fell only because of injury concerns (they thought/think he might have a degenerative knee condition), NOT because of production. If his knee was ok, he'd have been a top 5 pick.

Jason Pierre-Paul was a one year wonder. So is Jerry Reese not as smart as Buddy Nix because he didn't follow this "golden" rule?

If Nix drafts Upshaw over Mercilus because of this stupid rule, I'll laugh at him and this franchise. Upshaw is a short man with T-Rex arms. There's no getting around that fact. Brady will love to continue playing the Bills without worry about getting sacked or having balls batted down at the line of scrimmage.

Edited by 1billsfan

Clowney is only going to be a true sophmore next season. It'll be 2 more years before he's draft eligible.

Bowers fell only because of injury concerns (they thought/think he might have a degenerative knee condition), NOT because of production. If his knee was ok, he'd have been a top 5 pick.

He didn't produce when healthy for Tampa Bay.

The Bills front office would have been burnt to the ground if Bowers had that sort of production in a Bills uniform. Where the Bucs picked him....it's less of a tragedy.

Edited by dpberr

Jason Pierre-Paul was a one year wonder. So is Jerry Reese not as smart as Buddy Nix because he didn't follow this "golden" rule?

If Nix drafts Upshaw over Mercilus because of this stupid rule, I'll laugh at him and this franchise. Upshaw is a short man with T-Rex arms. There's no getting around that fact. Brady will love to continue playing the Bills without worry about getting sacked or having balls batted down at the line of scrimmage.

The big difference is the Giants were in a much better position to take a chance on someone like JPP...the Bills are not

The big difference is the Giants were in a much better position to take a chance on someone like JPP...the Bills are not

Sorry I just don't buy that argument. The Bills picked Spiller that year when they already had Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson!

It could be said that the Bills were in a supreme position to take another position other than RB.

My point is that the Bills should pick DEs that are not only good, but that have real NFL size like the Giants always seem to do. I don't know if that's the first or second round, but it's the logical way to go.

Edited by 1billsfan

1 10 Whitney Mercilus DE43 Illinois

Astro

I may get ripped for this, but count me among those that find Mercilus relatively unimpressive. He did put up great numbers, but watching him I just don't see a lot of explosion, rare strength, or really any one defining skill that leads me to believe he can be a great player at the next level. Now, it's still early in the process, and I haven't seen as much of him as I'd like to, but for now, I'm a definite "pass" on Mercilus.

funny, i feel exactly opposite and dont want any part of him at 10

Agreed, but again, I reserve the right to change my mind.

This is probably true, but if they fall in love with his ability, he could definitely be considered.

1 coples

2 lewis

3 cam johnson

4 bruce irvin

4b malik jackson

that should geter done

No chance of Coples, gone by 7 most likely, 9 at the latest. Between Jax, Mia, and Carolina, one of those will take him.

Inferior competition in the Big 10 does scare me. You don't get a really good guage of a player, especially a lineman, from that conference.

True, but that's somewhat true of every conference.

Agreed. However there's a massive difference in athleticism between a guy like JPP and Mercilus. The closest JPP comparison in this year's draft is Melvin Ingram. Incredible athlete for his size, limited experience as a 4-3 DE, downright playmaker at any position.

Taking Mercilus at 10 is a risk, more of a slippery slope deal. He looks like he could be a pretty nice NFL player when he reaches his potential. He also looks like he could be another Big 10 DLineman "bust" that we have seen churned out over the years from that conference.

Unfortunately, the Bills don't have the flexibility right now to take a chance on a guy that might or might not perform as a number 10 pick in the draft. Upshaw is another player that would be a really nice pick, proven track record, leader, national champion and an every down player BUT is he a difference maker that the Bills need at 10?

It's a good year for getting quality throughout the draft, just not a good year to get top of the line front 7 talent at 10. I believe the Bills will have to make a strong push for Mario Williams in free agency, if he makes it that far, because he is head and shoulders better than anyone the Bills can draft to fill that pass rush position in the 1st round. If that were to happen, the draft gets much easier and they can set their sights on one of the CB's or OT's that would fill the "difference maker" position that the Bills need at 10. They can draft DE's, OLB's and ILB positions in rounds 2-7 to help in the front 7. They need a playmaker at 10, not a steady or project type player.