The Giants SB Win Proves...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh.....I don't think that having the worst rushing offense in the entire NFL is what could be defined as balanced football. That was the Giants this year.

And the Pats had the worst pass defense in the AFC.

I don't think it is impossible that a great running team or a great defensive team could ever win another SB, but if you want the best blueprint for a SB in this era.....

the very simple and obvious answer is get a great QB and then try to rush the passer at a high level.

Balance? That would be nice but that is hard to maintain long term. A top QB can give you 10 cracks at the playoffs, thus increasing your chances of winning a SB.

:thumbsup:

That's why it's a TEAM sport , it takes more than just a good QB . Matter of fact there as been some SB champions that have had less than elite QB's on the winning team , but you do need solid team play all around .

I think we should have all learned that during the 90's we had it all with the players & we still came away empty or one of a couple plays or secisions away from winning the big one but everyone here thinks if we draft Andrew Luck or RG 3 we'll be in the SB next year :doh: it takes more than one !!!!!!

Proves the Patriots can't win a Super Bowl without cheating, haven't won since spygate. Also Belichick has only two playoff wins since taking over personnel decisions. Don't get me wrong, the pats were def one of the top 5 teams this year but still all that Patriot magic that ESPN loves to talk about really only existed with that Scott Pioli built team in the early 00's.

The Giants have a great secondary and GREAT def line. Just about all the stats were even except for the time that the giants had the ball...giants 37 mins and pats 22 mins...the giants only ran 9 more plays than the pats as well. Giants ran that clock well.

I think what it does show is just get in, you never know whats going to happen. Home field seems to be meaning less and less, the best team or thought of as best teams seem to choke. In the end you don't end up with the two best team you end up with two playoff teams that got hot, or got lucky. Ravens miss a chippy field goal, 49ers mishandle not one but two punts etc. Giants get the Patriots and their best player is unable to play at any level - these are the breaks nothing the giants really did to force Gronks high ankle sprain or Williams to blow to plays. Keep building and get into the playoffs then truly who knows. Hell they almost completed the hail mary

I think what it does show is just get in, you never know whats going to happen. Home field seems to be meaning less and less, the best team or thought of as best teams seem to choke. In the end you don't end up with the two best team you end up with two playoff teams that got hot, or got lucky. Ravens miss a chippy field goal, 49ers mishandle not one but two punts etc. Giants get the Patriots and their best player is unable to play at any level - these are the breaks nothing the giants really did to force Gronks high ankle sprain or Williams to blow to plays. Keep building and get into the playoffs then truly who knows. Hell they almost completed the hail mary

This was the turning point of the game. As soon as he dropped that you could see the look in Brady's eyes. It's like he was thinking "Oh no, there goes the game."

Virtually any time a game is decided by such a slim margin, you can point to any one play as being decisive.

Undoubtedly luck is a factor.

The Welker drop was huge but on the other hand, that 38-yard reception to Manningham (that was challenged) happened after the Welker drop. The Giants still had to drive down the long field to take the lead and Eli was outstanding.

Virtually any time a game is decided by such a slim margin, you can point to any one play as being decisive.

Undoubtedly luck is a factor.

The Welker drop was huge but on the other hand, that 38-yard reception to Manningham (that was challenged) happened after the Welker drop. The Giants still had to drive down the long field to take the lead and Eli was outstanding.

But that drop was a pivotal point in the game. If Welker catches that ball. It takes off at least 1:30 more off the clock due to 3 more downs, AT LEAST.

What pisses me off is other franchises make better decisions than we do. Like, just for instance, why don't we ever hire offensive and defensive coordinators like the Giants do?

Because we decide after one or two games that so-and-so coach sucks.

PTR

I've never heard "balanced team" refer to a team with a good defense and a good offense.

The term balanced offense is used. Which the Giants are not, they were one of the worst rushing teams in the NFL.

Saying this super bowl proves that balanced teams win super bowls makes no sense.

To rephrase you're saying a team with a good offense and a good defense wins the Super Bowl.

When did anyone say that an "unbalanced" team would beat a "balanced" team?

Every poster that brings out the old "Defense wins championships"...

Surely you have seen those posts? Or perhaps you are being disingenuous?

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Just think, the Giants OC and DC once held those positions for the Bills

The Giants had all the breaks for the 2nd half of the Season. They peaked at the right time, had a reasonable schedule, and NO major injuries.

Killdrive & Perry were simply at the right place, at the right time. They were sure not doing very well for the first 8 weeks! Remember, the Giants only won a "couple" more games than the BILLS during the regular season.

I would have liked to have seen Perry stay with the BILLS but his ego got too bruised when he didn't get the HC job. As for that other Moron, I have a Golden retriever that could coach Eli without too much trouble.

But that drop was a pivotal point in the game. If Welker catches that ball. It takes off at least 1:30 more off the clock due to 3 more downs, AT LEAST.

Absolutely.

It was a huge play and that was noted in the live game thread.

A catch on that play is a lot more time off the clock, better field position, and likely another score.

That's why it's a TEAM sport , it takes more than just a good QB . Matter of fact there as been some SB champions that have had less than elite QB's on the winning team , but you do need solid team play all around .

I think we should have all learned that during the 90's we had it all with the players & we still came away empty or one of a couple plays or secisions away from winning the big one but everyone here thinks if we draft Andrew Luck or RG 3 we'll be in the SB next year :doh: it takes more than one !!!!!!

I don't think that anyone is saying a QB alone can win a Super Bowl. Most of John Elway's career is a good example of what happens when you put a Hall of Fame QB on an untalented team.

But if you don't have a franchise QB, you're at a major disadvantage when facing some other team with one. Consider the Giants team which just won the Super Bowl. As we saw, they have a good OL, a good defense (especially against the pass), and some other good players sprinkled in here and there. And they have a franchise quarterback.

You might be able to build a team with a better pass rush than the Giants, or better RBs, or a better offensive line. But would you be enough better at those positions to make up for the fact that they have a franchise QB and you don't? That's really, really hard to do! When you combine a franchise QB with a reasonably complete team, you become a very tough nut to crack! Typically, the only way to beat a team like that is to yourself combine a franchise QB with a complete team.

Also proves just like last year that it doesn't matter if you have a relatively mediocre 9-7 regular season.... just make the playoffs & get hot going in.

And the Bills very easily could have beat the SB champs on the road with SJ and his band of UDFA receivers.

As bad as people want to crap on Fitz, I would guess the Bills would have mor than 6 wins if they had the Giants' front 7 on defense. If Williams can comes back to 75% of what he was and we could add a few more pieces in the draft, this team could easily be a playoff type team.