SENIOR BOWL/ MAYOCK

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mercilus beat Adams like he owned him, when Illinois played Ohio State this year.

Which is why we should draft Mercilus :thumbsup: Not to mention that he looks like the best pure pass rusher available in this draft.

Like I said Mercilus might be drafted in the late first or early second round.

There's no way the Jets don't take Whitney Mercilus at #16 if he's still there.

Unless someone with a real HIGH draft grade were there at #10, the Bills shouldn't worry about a supposed 6 spot "reach" and just pick Mercilus who'd be the perfect fit DE in the 4-3. Great tape, great size, and he seems like a great guy.

Mayock also loved Robert Ayers, a one year starter at Tennessee. He was his pick for best defensive player in the draft.

I like Mayock but there is a reason teams aren't knocking on these TV guys' doors to run a team.

Are you sure about that? I seem to remember him having Dareus in that spot.

Mayock also loved Robert Ayers, a one year starter at Tennessee. He was his pick for best defensive player in the draft.

I like Mayock but there is a reason teams aren't knocking on these TV guys' doors to run a team.

Indeed he was and right you are sir. :thumbsup:

Isn't Mayock the one who fell in love with Gabbert?

Wouldn't all scouting grind to a halt when you found out his first name was Blaine? Blaine.

This is scary but I actually agree with Crayonz... Excuse me while I go :sick:

I can't believe how much stock people are putting in Senior Bowl performance. This game matters as much as the Pro Bowl. It also is strange to me how people are moving up and down boards still. Aside from interviews nothing should drastically change where a prospect is ranked imo. Not combine results, measurables, or the ultra unimportant pro days. What they did/do on the field should be what matters. Mercilus owned Adams in an actual game! I don't care what Adams did in a glorified scrimmage. He also did well in the Wisconsin game.

With the switch to the 43 that was announced I am actually leaning towards Mercilus over Upshaw at this point. He can play RDE and at 6-4 265 has ideal size for the position. Combine that with leading the nation in sacks and forced fumbles! Check out this link and look at his weaknesses, they are all about his lack of extended production but nothing about his skill set.

http://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012wmercilus.php

You mean the same Robert Ayers who is starting for a very good Denver Defense and had 2 Sacks in a Playoff Win this year?

Sometime it takes a bit...Sometime it's Coaching, scheme, etc...And yes sometimes the Prospect is a bust...But Ayers is coming on...He had a decent year and he's a big piece of the future for that Denver Defense... B-)

This is scary but I actually agree with Crayonz... Excuse me while I go :sick:

I can't believe how much stock people are putting in Senior Bowl performance. This game matters as much as the Pro Bowl. It also is strange to me how people are moving up and down boards still. Aside from interviews nothing should drastically change where a prospect is ranked imo. Not combine results, measurables, or the ultra unimportant pro days. What they did/do on the field should be what matters. Mercilus owned Adams in an actual game! I don't care what Adams did in a glorified scrimmage. He also did well in the Wisconsin game.

With the switch to the 43 that was announced I am actually leaning towards Mercilus over Upshaw at this point. He can play RDE and at 6-4 265 has ideal size for the position. Combine that with leading the nation in sacks and forced fumbles! Check out this link and look at his weaknesses, they are all about his lack of extended production but nothing about his skill set.

http://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012wmercilus.php

To an extent your right. But bringing a guy like Adams back up. Has a lower first round grade. But a lot of that is due to his suspension in college, and I believe a DUI. If a guy like him shows up, plays well at the seniorbowl, tests well at the combine, and interviews well, he is a guy who could legitimately skyrocket up a teams draft board. Same as a guy like Brockers. I believe Bunting (Who I love as a talent evaluator) has him at 5 or 6 in his most recent mock drat. And he can also shoot up boards, because teams fall in love with his potential, how he interviews,etc,etc.

I bet the Bills sign a pass rusher, run-stopping OLB, and/or WR in Free Agency, freeing us up to take BPA in the draft in each of the first 3 rounds.

My bet for a run-stopping OLB is Erin Henderson. Mario Williams only played 5 games last year. Henderson excelled in run-stopping in 15 of his 16 games played, exceeding other free agents at DE or OLB, according to PFF Premium.

John Abraham is a good bet for a 3-year signing as pass rush DE. He's 33, but 5 of his last 7 games last year were monster games, and 4 of his last 5 years earned him 9+ sacks. You would still be looking for BPA pass rusher in RD1-3 of the draft, though. Would like to see Mario Williams or Robert Mathis but neither had as good a year as Calais Campbell. Cards can't afford to let him get away as they don't have an RD2 pick this year and need O-Line help galore.

Best Value at WR: Welker. Welker is ranked as the #3 WR in the NFL and had 9 positive games out of 16, Colston is the #5 WR and had 6 positive games out of 16, Bowe had 5 positive games out of 16, Meachem is #4 as a downfield-blocking WR and had 4 positive games out of 16.

First, may I just say to all of you guys this has been a great thread. Honestly, sometimes it gets a little messy around here, but my compliments to TSW for this one...quite insightful with varied perspectives. :thumbsup:

Now, Astro, great post and I like the way you are thinking with this. Of course I don't think we are going to make a tremendous splash with big name players in free agency, but that's fine. I could live with quality, medium level talent role players. If I could pick up a free agent at a reasonable price that had the same quality at their position (whatever position that may be) that Chandler and Barnett gave us this year then that would work for me.

Although I doubt Welker would leave N.E. unless it was a great offer, i still like your list.

Obviously I would want more but even picking up just 1 starting DE (or OLB) and a WR in FA would not only mean a great deal for this team, but it would free up our options in the draft.

...keep up the great work Stadium Wall!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

To an extent your right. But bringing a guy like Adams back up. Has a lower first round grade. But a lot of that is due to his suspension in college, and I believe a DUI. If a guy like him shows up, plays well at the seniorbowl, tests well at the combine, and interviews well, he is a guy who could legitimately skyrocket up a teams draft board. Same as a guy like Brockers. I believe Bunting (Who I love as a talent evaluator) has him at 5 or 6 in his most recent mock drat. And he can also shoot up boards, because teams fall in love with his potential, how he interviews,etc,etc.

I agree with your point somewhat but not your example. I think Adams is a late 1st round choice due to his performance against some elite pass rushers more so than any off the field issues. I will agree that interviews could/should impact draft stock. However performing well at the combine means little to me (see Gholston and a myriad of others). Potential is also scary as projections are very inexact (for every JPP there are a million busts). I prefer the turn on the tape and see who sticks out method. Even that though is inexact because one needs to pay attention to talent around player, talent performed against, etc., but it seems like the best method to me.

Its funny because I was thinking the same thing when I was watching him but did Brady have a noodle arm or was it more that he had the body of a 15 year old school girl...Either way if Moore was there in the 5th or later (and we haven't taken a QB earlier like Osweiler or Tannehill) and Wilson wasn't there I would take him yes...

Kellen Moore is short. Tom Brady is 6'4. It matters, and no, I don't need a list of short QB's.

You mean the same Robert Ayers who is starting for a very good Denver Defense and had 2 Sacks in a Playoff Win this year?

Sometime it takes a bit...Sometime it's Coaching, scheme, etc...And yes sometimes the Prospect is a bust...But Ayers is coming on...He had a decent year and he's a big piece of the future for that Denver Defense... B-)

Ayers has 5 sacks in 3 years. That's hardly the production I would expect from the best defensive player in the draft.

Like I said, I think Mayock is one of the best draft guys around. But when he makes bold predictions on average college players like Ayers and Gabbert (there is nothing special about him) & pushes up their draft stock, it makes me wonder if Mayock isn't get a little cash on the side from an agent. And honestly, I won't blame him in the slightest.