have you relocated away from buffalo ?

drinkTHEkoolaid

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've relocated first to Los Angeles then to England, which taxes here are very low(no sales tax, no property tax, low income taxes). Most of your tax is council tax, which is low, and income tax, which because i'm American I get it all back at the end of the year. But judging by your description of where you would like to live, England does not apply. :thumbsup:

Edited by Wayne333

Last year my wife and I moved our family from Buffalo to Charlotte. The decision was spurred after the birth of our first son. While we were both more than comfortable living in Buffalo, we couldn't say the same for a lot of our friends that stayed behind. I think a lot of us just accepted what WNY gave us and never though there was more out there. So we wanted to move somewhere that our son and future kids could grow up, enjoy and stay.

We've been in the Charlotte area for about six months now and my only complaint is that I didn't leave New York State sooner. We ended up on the South Carolina side of the border just one mile from a really great part of Charlotte. It's so strange to have so many options around you (shopping, restaurants, activities, etc). In Buffalo, we found ourselves doing the same ole, same ole.

We decided on SC because the property taxes are basically nothing. We have an amazing 4000 sqft home and pay $1400 a year in taxes! We paid four times that amount in Buffalo for a home half the size and quality. And what did we have to show for it? Now we live in an amazing community with hundreds of families and a boatload of amenities. Plus, there's a least a dozen or so families from WNY that we met so far. My wife and I tell each other everyday that we can't believe how nice we have it.

I'm sure there are a few more cities in our great nation that are just as nice, so my advice to you is find one you really like and get the hell out of dodge. WNY will always be WNY. You can always go back because nothing will ever change there.

Last year my wife and I moved our family from Buffalo to Charlotte. The decision was spurred after the birth of our first son. While we were both more than comfortable living in Buffalo, we couldn't say the same for a lot of our friends that stayed behind. I think a lot of us just accepted what WNY gave us and never though there was more out there. So we wanted to move somewhere that our son and future kids could grow up, enjoy and stay.

We've been in the Charlotte area for about six months now and my only complaint is that I didn't leave New York State sooner. We ended up on the South Carolina side of the border just one mile from a really great part of Charlotte. It's so strange to have so many options around you (shopping, restaurants, activities, etc). In Buffalo, we found ourselves doing the same ole, same ole.

We decided on SC because the property taxes are basically nothing. We have an amazing 4000 sqft home and pay $1400 a year in taxes! We paid four times that amount in Buffalo for a home half the size and quality. And what did we have to show for it? Now we live in an amazing community with hundreds of families and a boatload of amenities. Plus, there's a least a dozen or so families from WNY that we met so far. My wife and I tell each other everyday that we can't believe how nice we have it.

I'm sure there are a few more cities in our great nation that are just as nice, so my advice to you is find one you really like and get the hell out of dodge. WNY will always be WNY. You can always go back because nothing will ever change there.

I had a job offer last year in a town called Cornelius which is just north of Charlotte. I was only there for a few days but I liked it there alot. It was really beautiful down there. Beautiful lake, nice town.

They actually offered a little more money then I am making now. I was on the fence about but I would of done it but it came down to my wife & my 7 year old son did not want to move away from our parents/grandparents. I mean I like it in WNY. I really don't understand what your saying about there being no restaurants/shopping/activities to do here. I live in Lancaster & there is a ton of all that within 15-20 minute drive of where we live. My biggest complaint is the taxes I pay & the winter here. Fortunately this year we have hardly got any snow & it has been very mild(it was 57 at my house yesterday when I got home from work.). Bottomline for my family it would be extremely tough to move away from the grandparents as both sides are very close to my kids. I would be interested to know of what you can do down there that you can not do up here?

I used to drive through Sylvania to get to school at Michigan. I bought this drink card at a gas station called Barney's--for $5 I got 20 free fountain drinks. I thought I made out like a bandit. I sit here 10 years later with the card in my wallet, and 17 free drinks to go.

Thats your problem. You should have drove thru Lima not Sylvania. The better school is the other direction.

Where about in SC ? I briefly looked into rock hill SC. Seems like nice realty and uber cheap taxes. How far of commute to charlotte is it ?

How about McKinney, TX outside of Dallas? Wonderful area and great people!

Bad news - Beerball lives there as well.

Haven't thought much about Texas. I was trying to look at areas within a day drive back to buffalo. What are some advantages to living there ?

Where about in SC ? I briefly looked into rock hill SC. Seems like nice realty and uber cheap taxes. How far of commute to charlotte is it ?

We are in Indian Land which is one of the fastest growing suburbs of Charlotte. Rock Hill is about 15 minutes away. Indian Land is still technically part of Fort Mill but that will likely change.

We're right on the border of Charlotte's Ballantyne district which is like a mini downtown with all the brand new office complexes. I joke with my wife that there are more businesses in Ballantyne than all of downtown Buffalo.

Downtown Charlotte - or uptown as they call in here - is 20 miles away.

I really don't understand what your saying about there being no restaurants/shopping/activities to do here. I live in Lancaster & there is a ton of all that within 15-20 minute drive of where we live. My biggest complaint is the taxes I pay & the winter here. Fortunately this year we have hardly got any snow & it has been very mild(it was 57 at my house yesterday when I got home from work.). Bottomline for my family it would be extremely tough to move away from the grandparents as both sides are very close to my kids. I would be interested to know of what you can do down there that you can not do up here?

I didn't say there wasn't anything to do in WNY, there's just so much more down here. We are out and about every weekend doing something different. There are just far more family-friendly events here. Weather probably has a lot to do with it.

have you ever done this? i did once..golf was a little chilly and snow a little slushy (late march) but i did it just so i could say i had. no winter this year to speak of...haven't skied Sugar once...killer year for them. hope they stay in business.

never did them both in one day. I think the ski resorts are in some trouble. I do go to Asheville quite a bit, and like Boone and Blowing Rock. I'm pretty happy with East Tennessee and probably will continue to live here even after I retire.

never did them both in one day. I think the ski resorts are in some trouble. I do go to Asheville quite a bit, and like Boone and Blowing Rock. I'm pretty happy with East Tennessee and probably will continue to live here even after I retire.

Know anyone that makes moonshine in the hills?

I think you'd fit in just fine in Richmond, VA. You mentioned red state; Richmond is red state without the accent. The city's big enough that you have all the advantages of a major city (jobs, entertainment, bar scene) without being overwhelming. The James river is world renowned for blue cats and runs right through the city, & you've got mountains to the west & beaches to the east. Taxes are low (in the counties, which is where you'd want to be) and real estate is reasonable. It's not necessarily the best or worst place to be a young bachelor, but for a young couple raising a family it's great.

I'd recommend Manchester NH, where I live. No state or income taxes. (But property and car reg. taxes that'll blow your socks off.) Easy gun laws. Lots of GOP with generous sprinkling Libertarians, but not many Tea Partiers. Reasonable real estate (not cheap like Buffalo but reasonable.) Manchester itself is a nice up-and-coming city. Just one hour from downtown Boston. We have our own AHL hockey and Double-A baseball teams. City itself is just over 100K. Big enough to have the stuff you need: shopping, decent restaurants, night clubs, an airport with good connections (incl. Southwest service).

Some useful info.

PTR

I've spent some time in Manchester. Nice city.

My opinion of it just went down a bit, of course... :nana:

I think you'd fit in just fine in Richmond, VA. You mentioned red state; Richmond is red state without the accent. The city's big enough that you have all the advantages of a major city (jobs, entertainment, bar scene) without being overwhelming. The James river is world renowned for blue cats and runs right through the city, & you've got mountains to the west & beaches to the east. Taxes are low (in the counties, which is where you'd want to be) and real estate is reasonable. It's not necessarily the best or worst place to be a young bachelor, but for a young couple raising a family it's great.

No flat heads?

I moved away from WNY in the late '80s and lived in DC, Ohio, Syracuse and Albany. I moved back in the ' 90s and it was the BEST decision I've ever made in my life.

I make a great wage here (many people do) and I live like a king because the cost of living is so low. I bought a 3,000 sq, ft. house in rural Niagara County that sits on two acres of land for a shade over $125,000. It came with a pool, fireplace, central air, Anderson Windows, skylights and an upper porch that overlooks my property. Oh yeah, and a 40-ft pole barn complete with heat and welding lines. Sure my taxes are higher than in many states, but considering that I paid nearly a half million less for the house than I would have in most locales, I think I'm ahead of the game.

I haven't seen a traffic jam in years, from May-October there isn't better weather to be had in all of America. When I want a great pizza, proper chicken wings, a Friday fish Fry, Chicken Chowder, a peanut doughnut or a Beef on Weck I can jump in my car or pick up the phone and order one and not lament the lack of good food in my area like all the ex-pats do.

My family is close (sometimes a good thing, sometimes bad) but I get to see my aging grandma often and won't regret my kids not having access to her or my parents once they're gone.

Nowhere else that I lived had as many great festivals (both summer and winter) as I enjoy here on the Niagara Frontier.

I don't think nature offers anything as beautiful as the Falls and the lower Niagara River. The Glen in Williamsville is a hidden gem and Allegheny State Park is just a short ride away.

Oh, let me also say that I truly love the fact that seeing a Bills or Sabres' game in person is just a matter of buying a (amongst the lowest cost in either league) ticket.

So to answer your question, should you leave what the late-great Tim Russert so accurately described as "God's Country?"

In one emphatic word, "No!" In this case the grass is greenest on our side of the fence.

I moved away from WNY in the late '80s and lived in DC, Ohio, Syracuse and Albany. I moved back in the ' 90s and it was the BEST decision I've ever made in my life.

I make a great wage here (many people do) and I live like a king because the cost of living is so low. I bought a 3,000 sq, ft. house in rural Niagara County that sits on two acres of land for a shade over $125,000. It came with a pool, fireplace, central air, Anderson Windows, skylights and an upper porch that overlooks my property. Oh yeah, and a 40-ft pole barn complete with heat and welding lines. Sure my taxes are higher than in many states, but considering that I paid nearly a half million less for the house than I would have in most locales, I think I'm ahead of the game.

I haven't seen a traffic jam in years, from May-October there isn't better weather to be had in all of America. When I want a great pizza, proper chicken wings, a Friday fish Fry, Chicken Chowder, a peanut doughnut or a Beef on Weck I can jump in my car or pick up the phone and order one and not lament the lack of good food in my area like all the ex-pats do.

My family is close (sometimes a good thing, sometimes bad) but I get to see my aging grandma often and won't regret my kids not having access to her or my parents once they're gone.

Nowhere else that I lived had as many great festivals (both summer and winter) as I enjoy here on the Niagara Frontier.

I don't think nature offers anything as beautiful as the Falls and the lower Niagara River. The Glen in Williamsville is a hidden gem and Allegheny State Park is just a short ride away.

Oh, let me also say that I truly love the fact that seeing a Bills or Sabres' game in person is just a matter of buying a (amongst the lowest cost in either league) ticket.

So to answer your question, should you leave what the late-great Tim Russert so accurately described as "God's Country?"

In one emphatic word, "No!" In this case the grass is greenest on our side of the fence.

Oh come on. Love canal, maybe?